More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+20
Kath
hegottheboot
Hilly
Gravity's Silhouette
Professor Train
bitchcraft
Bond Fan 90
lachesis
Strangways&Quarrel
Moore
Xenia93
Control
Makeshift Python
Jack Wade
Blunt Instrument
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Vesper
G section
HJackson
dr. strangelove
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 10, 2015 11:31 pm

McDiarmid is my favourite thing of Sith. Recall writing once it's like he knows the shit he's acting in and just hams it up hell for leather and also tries a bit in places. He's had some decent lines in the franchise such as in Return of the Jedi, or at least delivery of lines.

I read a few years ago that when acting on stage in London (about 2008/2010), he apparently had a minor heart attack and kept on going. In an interview he sort of shrugged it off.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 11, 2015 1:48 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Black Mass - nice to see Johnny Depp actually acting again ... he's nastily convincing in this true-life drama as Jimmy 'Whitey' Bulger, at one time South Boston's most notorious gangster.      

Wasn't a big fan, to be honest. I agree that it's great to see Depp doing something that could be worth watching, but I thought he was poorly directed.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 12:15 am

Blimey, Hilly. He sounds like a proper trouper, fair play to him.

I dunno about that, FM ... that said, it's possible you may be better equipped to spot these things than the rest of us after your own forays into the world of acting.

Star Wars (A New Hope) Special Edition - felt like a palate cleanser after Revenge Of The Sith. The reason that I like sci-fi in the first place, this had an immediate impact on me when I first saw it as a wide-eyed 6 year old and it (and the whole saga) continue to exert a pull as irresistible as the Death Star's tractor beam. George Lucas' love of cliffhanger serials, WW2 movies (especially the aerial battles), comic books and fast cars combine to create a blockbusting piece of nigh-on perfect entertainment that would go on to deeply affect a generation and ultimately change cinema.

Some of the tweaks are fine (the now smooth-looking removal of the wheels underneath Luke's landspeeder) and some are irritating (Greedo shooting first). But oh well.

Last edited by Blunt Instrument on Sat Dec 12, 2015 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 1:00 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Star Wars : Revenge Of The Sith - the opening space battle/rescue of Palpatine captures some of the spirit of the original trilogy, the climactic lightsabre duel is spectacularly staged, and Ian McDiarmuid is clearly enjoying himself immensely and is therefore a joy to watch.

As for the rest ... oh dear.

The opening shots after the crawl were superb to watch in the theatre, as I recall (a decade ago, no less). The sun creeps over the horizon as two little ships come into view before diving headlong into an epic battle and it felt like you were dropping down with them.

But yeah, McDiarmid aside, pretty piss poor show overall.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 1:08 am

Best cinema experience for a while was ROTS. Leicester Square, billed as the last Star Wars film, people in costumes (not yours truly thank God. The Underground's bad enough without being dressed as Vader). Big screen, that opening shot...John Williams' score...and in the company of friends one of whom's no longer here and so the memory's a tiny bit nostalgic.

What makes the new film a little bit exciting in that there might be kids for whom this'll be their first Star Wars film and fall in love with the whole sorry saga and repeat years later.

Back to top Go down
Strangways&Quarrel
'R'
'R'
Strangways&Quarrel

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 4:11 am

Killing Them Softly (2012)

Brad Pitt as a hitman who is called to New Orleans to find who knocked over a mobbed-up card game. A short, heavy and thick crime film that's set in 2008 with the plot making parallels to the banking crisis, news reports and Obama and Bush speeches heard sometimes in the background. It was a pretty risky thing to do given it could have just wound up as a pretentious ego-trip but the film's lean and ruthless enough that by the end of it the parallel works. The cinematography was excellent and despite the setting it felt more like a '70's film like The Nickel Ride or The Friends of Eddie Coyle (which incidentally is written by the author who wrote the book this film was based on). James Gandolfini gave a great performance as an alcoholic hitman who's losing it as a possible jail sentence looms over him and Ray Liotta as the man who runs the card game who finds himself the patsy as he made the mistake of robbing his own game years before. Overall I really liked it.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 11:29 am

Hilly KCMG wrote:
Best cinema experience for a while was ROTS. Leicester Square, billed as the last Star Wars film, people in costumes (not yours truly thank God. The Underground's bad enough without being dressed as Vader). Big screen, that opening shot...John Williams' score...and in the company of friends one of whom's no longer here and so the memory's a tiny bit nostalgic.

What makes the new film a little bit exciting in that there might be kids for whom this'll be their first Star Wars film and fall in love with the whole sorry saga and repeat years later.

Hell, I'm 44 and I'm excited.

Lucas' non-involvement, Kasdan being amongst the screenwriters, Abrams clearly preferring to shoot on actual sets, the involvement of the principal cast from the original trilogy ... all these things give me hope.

I've booked Thursday off and am going to a 10:15 am screening ... the schools mostly don't break for Christmas until Friday at the earliest, so I'm hoping that will dial down the 'annoying little shits' factor considerably.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 12, 2015 10:26 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Hilly KCMG wrote:

Hell, I'm 44 and I'm excited.

Lucas' non-involvement, Kasdan being amongst the screenwriters, Abrams clearly preferring to shoot on actual sets, the involvement of the principal cast from the original trilogy ... all these things give me hope.

I've booked Thursday off and am going to a 10:15 am screening ... the schools mostly don't break for Christmas until Friday at the earliest, so I'm hoping that will dial down the 'annoying little shits' factor considerably.  

A new John Williams Star Wars score is my driving force. Last night it hit me, to see Luke Skywalker on the big screen again.

Maybe I'll pull a sickie. I'm due a Wonderful Life screening a week Sunday but always time for Star Wars.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 12:16 am

Local arthouse cinema is screening Die Hard for 3 nights next weekend as part of their Christmas season, I'm booked for the Sunday night.

I traditionally watch the first 2 at this time of year anyway (and OHMSS), so it'll be nice to see one of them on the big screen again.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 6:37 am

Seeing Die Hard on the big screen would be awesome! Enjoy BI!
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Dec 13, 2015 12:00 pm

I actually did, back in the day ... had to sneak in, as it was certified 18 and I was around 9 months away from my 18th birthday at the time.

Snuck into Predator and Robocop as a 16 year old, too. SUCH a rebel laugh .
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 7:18 pm

The Empire Strikes Back (Special Edition) - the best instalment of the Star Wars saga, easily. And while Lucas' SE tinkering with A New Hope was annoying in places, it only serves to enhance things here (the additions to the cityscape as the Millennium Falcon comes in to land at Cloud City, for example).
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 14, 2015 10:14 pm

Empire can never be bettered. By this I mean the film itself, forget the tinkering for the SE. I was going to try and hit the saga before watching Episode VII but I don't have the time.

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyTue Dec 15, 2015 8:29 pm

Revisiting Jedi tonight, then taking in The Force Awakens on Thursday morning.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Return Of The Jedi : Special Edition - probably the 'least' of the original trilogy ... not sure the saga needed oversized teddy bears who can effortlessly defeat Stormtroopers, really. Still, in other places like the speeder-bike chase and our heroes escaping from Jabba's clutches there's still much fun to be had.

Star Wars : The Force Awakens - phew, it's not shit! Banishing memories of the shoddy prequels with a nice mix of nostalgia and the new, this is pretty much exactly what you'd want from a continuation of the SW saga.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 12:40 am

It's a Wonderful Life

saw this in an indie cinema just off Leicester Square. Small screen, packed to the gills. Glass of red wine (I say glass, a plastic cup really), some friends and the knowledge I'll leave an emotional ruin.

Say what you will but this is a film. Skip the schmaltzy stuff, there's James Stewart, Donna Reed (on a big screen I was enraptured. A singular beauty), Lionel Barrymore and Ward Bond. I mean, time was relative, next thing I knew it was over and usually I struggle in cinemas. Spectre almost killed me (my job seems to have given me a naff back, dear reader) but this...I always associate myself in some abstract way with George. Having all these big dreams and schemes to get out of this deadend town and something thwarting me. Unlike dear George, I've not met my other half nor had kids, but...there's friends.

Anyway gang. At the end I was wiping the ol' water from my cheeks, cursing my weak side as they came to George's aid. At the end, people applauded and whistled. This was the best cinema experience probably since my last outing at the BFI (OHMSS I think). Not a single mobile phone distracting me (though everyone and their dog seemed to be going to the toilet during this film) and people who appreciate good cinema when they see it.

The plus side, is that the trailer for 2001: A Space Odyssey (on 70mm! it's billed as) before the showing encouraged a friend to say she'll come back to see that. Not me alas.

Here's to Jimmy Stewart.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 1:04 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Return Of The Jedi : Special Edition - probably the 'least' of the original trilogy ... not sure the saga needed oversized teddy bears who can effortlessly defeat Stormtroopers, really. Still, in other places like the speeder-bike chase and our heroes escaping from Jabba's clutches there's still much fun to be had.

Yes People cite the prequels as the series decline but there was quite a steep drop off for this one (imo it is far more in line with the prequels quality and idea wise than what came before) - some bewildering and ill considered ideas marring what should have been a rousing climax to the saga. By this time presumably Lucas was simply surrounded by 'yes men' when he really needed someone to challenge him and hopefully assist in wresting the wheat from the chaff....glad to hear episode Vii takes it's cues from the first two.

Hilly KCMG wrote:
It's a Wonderful Life

saw this in an indie cinema just off Leicester Square. Small screen, packed to the gills. Glass of red wine (I say glass, a plastic cup really), some friends and the knowledge I'll leave an emotional ruin.

Say what you will but this is a film.

Here's to Jimmy Stewart.

Indeed although I am always amazed/frustrated that Mr Potter just.... gets away with it all.....

Anyways

The Man from UNCLE (2015)

A Guy Ritchie film that isn't shit? This may be it...not that it's great but it juggles its fun and thrills pretty well imo - Ritchie is the weak link imo over stylising some of the action to completely defuse the tension - nevertheless there is enough to ensure the overall impression is a good one.

6.5/10
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 21, 2015 7:38 pm

OHMSS - every time I appreciate its closeness to the source material, dig how exciting an action sequence the hotel room punch-up STILL is, keep my eyes peeled for Ruby's 'nip slip', ponder what the 70s Bond flicks could've been like with Lazenby continuing in the lead and find myself moved by THAT ending. A fine, fine 007 film.

Die Hard - the first and still the best, when no-one would've dreamed of even suggesting 'watering down' the content in order to get teen-friendly certification and Willis hadn't yet become clearly utterly bored of playing John McClane. He's great as a more vulnerable 'Everyman' action hero than his late-80s peers Stallone and Schwarzenegger ... Rickman is also terrific as the urbane, dryly witty chief villain Gruber, Reginald Veljohnson provides solid support as 'on the ground' beat cop Al Powell, Paul Gleason is hilarious as a jerky Chief Of Police, and future Licence To Kill cast members Robert Davi and Grand L Bush are also highly amusing as FBI 'Agents Johnson'. And some of the effects/stunt work still dazzles, 27 years on.

Brilliant.

Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 24, 2015 12:07 pm

Gremlins - first time on a big screen, was too young to see it on one on initial release as the scenes where a couple of the titular creatures meet their demises via a blender and a microwave earned it a 15 certificate. Darkly-tinged seasonal fun.
Back to top Go down
Moore
Q Branch
Q Branch
Moore

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Dec 25, 2015 5:22 am

Watched the original Star Wars trilogy for the first time in its entirety. Hard to believe, but I only ever saw bits and pieces when I was younger. Still don't quite get the big to do. Enjoyable films, yes. Big special effects for the time, yes. But really nothing that hadn't been done before. Just a slightly larger, bigger budget homage to serials of the past. Not a criticism. I enjoyed them. I just don't get the intense love. As an outsider, my views are below:

A New Hope-  Average sci-fi film. Ignoring any back story established by the prequel's, not much going on here. Conclusion is too easy. Weak ending. Bad acting. Enjoyable action film, sure. But not much there besides that.

Empire Strikes Back- Huge improvement over ANH. However, the Yoda bits in the middle of the film drag on forever. Dear lord. Cut a good chunk of that and you'd have a damn enjoyable film. But it just gets bogged down for too long.

Watching the trilogy I'm surprised by how useless and funny Obi-Wan turns out to be. He's basically a plot mover. That surprises me as his role in pop culture seemed more important and larger. The guy's ghost just pops up at the most random time to give some advice. Basically: the writers needed to get someone from Point A to B and couldn't think of anything, so they tossed him in.

Either that or Obi-Wan is the biggest troll. "Oh, hey Luke. See you're freezing to death and shit, but hey, when you get the time you should like check out the Dagobah system and stuff. It's cool."

Didn't care for the non-ending.

Return of the Jedi- Okay. What the fuck happened to Han? The freeze must of damaged him. He goes from having a "badass" persona to being jealous of Luke.

Luke is kind of whiny. Not very hero-like. Ever. At any point.
Obi-Wan, for being a guy full of wisdom, offers very little wisdom.
Dialogue is bad.
Characters are cardboard thin.

I'm not saying this makes it bad. I love old serials that follow a similar format. I just can't quite see the diehard, passionate love some of my friends have for it. The kind of people who get so extremely angry if you say you didn't enjoy every second of the film. Must be the nostalgia. I'm a pretty die hard Bond fan but I don't get mad if people don't care for it. And I gladly admit the films are flawed and there have been some big piles of shit (SPECTRE).
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Dec 26, 2015 12:17 pm

Die Hard 2 - not the match of the first film, of course. But still streets ahead of the last couple of franchise entries.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Dec 28, 2015 1:14 am

The Cockleshell Heroes

hot on the heels of my Star Wars outing one of the many war films doing the rounds this Christmas. Still, the presence of Richard Maibum and Bryan Forbes as writers or Cubby Broccoli as co-producer AND Trevor Howard cannot save it's descent into shamble...ness. Maybe it's the overuse of the March used by the composer or Anthony Newley larking about but it just ambles along with no clear path and then, wham, canoes are up the river, men killed/captured/escape and film ends. Even at 95 mins this was a waste.

Ach.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 1:28 am

THE MARTIAN

One of 2015's finest, alongside children's film Inside Out. What could've blended together with recent stranded-in-space flicks turns out to be a much easier watch, led by Matt Damon, who is much more palatable in space this time than he was in Interstellar.

JURASSIC WORLD

I have no real tie to this franchise so sitting through this CGI-fest was a slog. Only cool part was when
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyWed Dec 30, 2015 5:11 pm

Jack Wade wrote:
JURASSIC WORLD

I have no real tie to this franchise so sitting through this CGI-fest was a slog. Only cool part was when
Spoiler:

Yeah, that film was a piece of shit. Boring, poorly written and full of shoddy CGI.

Also, I couldn't figure out why they killed the babysitter/assistant in such a gruesome manner, while the rest of the deaths were borderline cartoonish and comical.

My favorite scene: Jimmy Buffett double-fisting margaritas while flying dinosaurs attacked.

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 He+was+seen+a+split+second+and+still+getting+cosplayed+_6b25a2758c8aabce25925e444417e7c6
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Dec 31, 2015 8:25 am

Those drinks look quenching.

#holdontoyourliquor
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched.
Page 3 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next