More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

10 Years of Quantum of Solace

Go down 
+3
CJB
Salomé
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
7 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: 10 Years of Quantum of Solace   10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 4:48 pm

Salomé wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
Whatever the parties used to stand for in previous centuries no longer matters

I suppose that depends on how forgiving or stupid you are, or whether you believe a leopard can change its spots. Certainly it seems most politicians in the European Union (EU) accept that view; how else to explain the idiocy of fighting two world wars against Germany only to rebuild it and grant it de facto control of the EU?

The alternative is pretending Hitler is still in power. Not sure if that makes more sense, to be honest.

Regrettably, I do not believe Germany’s record of capital crimes in its short life is down to one man but I can see why you need to believe that. I’m curious how you justify Germany invading France three time in 70 years; its war crimes 1914-1918 (some in Belgium); or its shocking barbarism in Namibia, surely the genocidal prelude for what it was to do to the Jews in Europe some 30 years later.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: 10 Years of Quantum of Solace   10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 5:19 pm

I don't believe that. But he was the man in power during the last time Germany committed atrocities on a big scale. I do wish you would stop treating me as an individual with no historical perspective whatsoever.

But your belief is that given the chance, Germany will commit large-scale genocide again because it is in their nature?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: 10 Years of Quantum of Solace   10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 14, 2018 7:39 pm

Germans are efficient. They'll find a way.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: 10 Years of Quantum of Solace   10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 01, 2018 11:11 pm

I think I'll be giving QOS a watch this weekend. I'd said I wouldn't watch a Bond film this year (besides OHMSS at Christmas) and I've kept to that. But being its 10 year anniversary, and the fact there's a good case for QOS not being a true Bond film, I'll give in.

Maybe we could all pop QOS in at some point within the next month and see how we feel about it 10 years on.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: 10 Years of Quantum of Solace   10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 12:50 am

I always do my yearly marathon of DN-DAD+CR '67 and NSNA around Thanksgiving to remember the grand old days of the TBS 007 marathons.

I've never yet re-watched the abominations because I'm afraid I'll curl up in the fetal position in a darkened room and try to only remember before the dark times.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: 10 Years of Quantum of Solace   10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 3:16 am

hegottheboot wrote:
I always do my yearly marathon of DN-DAD+CR '67 and NSNA around Thanksgiving to remember the grand old days of the TBS 007 marathons.

I've never yet re-watched the abominations because I'm afraid I'll curl up in the fetal position in a darkened room and try to only remember before the dark times.

I do the annual marathon also, but this year I decided not to at all in fear of burning them out.

Give QOS a go.

Oh and SF is far from an abomination! I hear ya re: CR, QOS and SP. smile
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: 10 Years of Quantum of Solace   10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 2:08 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
I think I'll be giving QOS a watch this weekend. I'd said I wouldn't watch a Bond film this year (besides OHMSS at Christmas) and I've kept to that. But being its 10 year anniversary, and the fact there's a good case for QOS not being a true Bond film, I'll give in.

Maybe we could all pop QOS in at some point within the next month and see how we feel about it 10 years on.

At 105 minutes, it does have brevity on its side and (in its early pacing particularly) a welcome desire to Get The Fuck On With Things.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: 10 Years of Quantum of Solace   10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 02, 2018 11:39 pm

Yep, not even 2 hours out of our weekends.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: 10 Years of Quantum of Solace   10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2018 1:21 am

I gave it a rewatch last night. A couple of things jumped out at me:

For all Forster's faults, the stage of certain scenes worked well for what he was hoping to achieve. For example, the underground location in Siena suggested and foreshadowed Bond's quest to find solace from the outside - his emotions at that point buried deep within. Later, and perhaps inconsistently, the sinkhole (another underground location) is used to revisit his core emotions buried inside himself, and as he opens up to Camille and leaves, he stumbles across Greene's plan monopolise the water supply. /end wanker analysis.

The politics is a little on the nose which indirectly characterises Wright's Leiter as a dud. His superior gives Bond up to Greene, and yet he questions Beam's allegiance to Quantum outside the plane. If Beam was smarter, he would have learned that Leiter is honing in on him. If Leiter was smarter, he would have kept his mouth shut and covertly worked to expose Beam's treachery. Alas, neither narrative thread is followed through.

The music is wasted in this film, but the shining light of music in Craig's era. Night At The Opera is top notch.

I guess a lot feel QOS gets better with age because after multiple viewings, you could actually decipher what's going on through the atrocious editing. The car chase is an exciting one - it's just a shame it's so poorly edited. That said, I still can't work out the ending of the boat chase.

There's very little flow within and between scenes. For example, why does M get the call about Camille at the hotel, and why does she ask Bond about her? As anyone with a brain would, of course he's going to protect her. M, who is lead to believe Bond is rogue (and we have to believe it since she's in Bolivia), simply believes him and lets her go. Ummm.... What did she think he was going to say? "Yes M, you better bring her up for questioning."/ "OK Jamie, will do. Thanks for co-operating".

Daniel Craig is so monotone throughout the whole film. Most of his dialogue is so tonally off it's amazing he has the appraisal he has.

I'll stand by Fields. She brings a bit of life and colour and sex to the film. Best Bond girl? Hardly. But she's a breath of fresh air in a film so concerned with moping.

Still, better than CR and SP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 10 Years of Quantum of Solace   10 Years of Quantum of Solace - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

10 Years of Quantum of Solace
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Bond :: The Bond Films: Reviews, Ratings & Discussion :: Quantum Of Solace (2008)-
Jump to: