More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

MI6 at Century House

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

MI6 at Century House Empty
PostSubject: MI6 at Century House   MI6 at Century House EmptySat Jun 08, 2019 11:00 pm

I'll put it here for now but after talking about SIS in my Skyfall review, I flicked to my London book to double check stuff and figure I'll quote. Building once was Century House, now Perspective Housing (a block of flats)

(from the London Compendium, Ed Glinert)

MI6 HQ (1966-1994)
Westminster Bridge Road, London

Quote :
This 22-storey tower block was the unlikely home of the Secret Intelligence Service, better known as MI6, the organisation made glamorous by the antics of its most famous fictional member, James Bond, during the last decades of the twentieth century, at a time when, officially, it did not exist. In the forecourt of the building was a petrol station staffed, inevitably, by former agents on the lookout for terrorists contemplating driving up and leaving a bomb on the premises.
Meanwhile, inside the offices, agents were hatching a number of unethical plans including the toppling of Colonel Gaddafi, the Libyan leader. MI6 moved to Vauxhall Cross in 1994. During refurbishment of the building at the end of the twentieth century workmen found a basement cell, a powerful chemical disintegrator, stronger than a shredder, and evidence that MI6 probably had its own private Tube station connected to the nearby Bakerloo line.

tickled by the Tube line. Need to look into that.

Telegraph have this: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1356363/The-very-public-face-of-the-secret-service.html

photo here: https://wayneharrisonphotographic.wordpress.com/the-spying-game/part-4-mi6-secret-intelligence-service/

Last edited by Hilly on Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: MI6 at Century House   MI6 at Century House EmptySat Jun 08, 2019 11:20 pm

So Bond wasn't trying save face in YOLT when Tanaka asked if M had a "similar arrangement".

Fascinating stuff. That petrol station looks like the grandest looking petrol station I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: MI6 at Century House   MI6 at Century House EmptySun Jun 09, 2019 3:04 pm

It always makes me wonder about these tube stations. There's always been a rumour the BBC had their own, small station by Broadcasting House (also on the Bakerloo Line) once but how these places could not be noticed is anyone's guess. If a Tube train pauses for even a few seconds between stations it's eyebrow worthy as you notice such things. The Beeb's was meant to be above Oxford Circus which is the second busiest station in all London and the MI6 one would be between Waterloo (the busiest) and Lambeth North (dead quiet). So who knows.

I like the image of former agents being petrol attendants. As locations goes, their old one at Lambeth is quite basic. Lambeth has never been a flash area and never will be.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MI6 at Century House   MI6 at Century House Empty

Back to top Go down

MI6 at Century House
Page 1 of 1