More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Original Poster Concepts for LTK

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Original Poster Concepts for LTK Empty
PostSubject: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyMon Jun 10, 2019 6:59 pm

This week marks the 30th anniversary of Licence to Kill. To kick off the week, the official website has posted three designs/concepts for the posters. Much more interesting than what we ended up with...

Original Poster Concepts for LTK Screen11

Original Poster Concepts for LTK Screen12

Original Poster Concepts for LTK Screen13

Not sure the boat one would have worked, despite the excellent artwork. I feel it suggests a fully fledged boat chase which obviously didn't occur in the film. I really like the diamond-clad iguana over the pistol (good bit of bizarre) and Timothy Dalton the big, sole presence. I quite like the third one, too. Sorely missing the women, though. You just don't cast Talisa Soto without showing her off.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 4:10 am

I'm thinking you put Soto somewhere in the second one (the iguana making for an oblique reference to her being Sanchez's 'kept woman') and Lowell somewhere in the third, what with the help Pam gives Bond during the truck chase.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 7:11 am

The first one is deliciously 80's. You can practically hear the Mangum PI opening title track.

The iguana on the handgun is the winner though. Wouldn't be out of place on one of the Jonathan Cape covers.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 7:32 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
I'm thinking you put Soto somewhere in the second one (the iguana making for an oblique reference to her being Sanchez's 'kept woman') and Lowell somewhere in the third, what with the help Pam gives Bond during the truck chase.      

Indeed it seems a case of either/or when adding a Bond girl into the mix.

CJB wrote:
The iguana on the handgun is the winner though.

Agreed. Why that wasn't the poster instead of this hack job is beyond me:

Original Poster Concepts for LTK Ltklarge1
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 8:43 am

The expanse of empty white space down one side and the looks-like-it-was-added-as-an-afterthought pic of the actresses are competing to be the worst things about that poster.

The teaser one's fairly decent -

Original Poster Concepts for LTK Latest?cb=20140806084923

The other 'main' one is pretty uninspired -

Original Poster Concepts for LTK Licence-to-kill-poster

Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyTue Jun 11, 2019 6:36 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
The expanse of empty white space down one side and the looks-like-it-was-added-as-an-afterthought pic of the actresses are competing to be the worst things about that poster.

Yeah, I like that there's a split, but don't leave it blank. The girls could have easily been worked in there instead of pasting a separate photo on Dalton.

Quote :
The teaser one's fairly decent -

Original Poster Concepts for LTK Latest?cb=20140806084923

Yeah. But after seeing the much sleeker iguana poster...

Quote :
The other 'main' one is pretty uninspired -

Original Poster Concepts for LTK Licence-to-kill-poster

Yeah nothing sensational but I do like a little bit of effort went into that one. laugh
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 1:35 pm

that first one with the "dangerous place" tagline is the cover for the novelisation. Not as bad as it could've been. Shame LTK wasn't done now, I'd imagine we'd get some fairly cracking ones.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 10:18 pm

This is all due to the studio destroying the ad campaign with bland WTFness and throwing out the intended campaign which I believe the concepts were part of. It's mentioned in the commentary.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyWed Jun 12, 2019 10:23 pm

Why did they destroy the ad campaign? Haven't watched the commentary in years.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 5:33 am

Wonder was there any thinking behind the Walther being gold on the teaser other than it needs to stand out against a black background?
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 7:11 am

Is it supposed to be gold? Just thought it was the lighting.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyThu Jun 13, 2019 9:36 am

Looks to be to me.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptySun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 pm

It's just the rendering of that particular photo. The poster itself has a silvery PPK.

I believe it was Jerry Juroe who was bemoaning the fact they had planned a really nice campaign and then suddenly the powers that be at MGMUA decided on some hotshot ad agency who worked in the popular ways of the time to make what we wound up with.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptyMon Jun 17, 2019 12:38 am

Slapping a photograph on top of the main characters legs was deemed a "popular way of the time?" laugh
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK EmptySun Jun 23, 2019 9:36 pm

You got me. I have no earthly idea what the heck that campaign is supposed to be. Sanchez in red as the background is nice and had they used a more dapper shot of Dalton without the slapped on photo box between the legs it would look far better.

But the international art despite being more traditional is far worse due to it being so slapped together and just lazy.

Despite being simple and reusing the TLD promo image this is still my favorite cover for LTK:
Original Poster Concepts for LTK Usa_vhs_hands_16_ltk_880

I still adore this run of art and UK/Europe got some interesting alternates.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Original Poster Concepts for LTK   Original Poster Concepts for LTK Empty

Back to top Go down

Original Poster Concepts for LTK
Page 1 of 1