More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Actor's Thread

Go down 
+2
00Twelve
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptySat Apr 16, 2011 7:50 am

Haven't seen it at  BAB, and it was an interesting thread that Tux created at KTBEU, so I want to recreate it.

Last edited by FieldsMan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptySat Jun 04, 2011 9:56 am

http://www.starnow.com.au/Casting-Calls/Actors-wanted/Feature-film/the_dark_night_risies_is_casting_london_1.htm

Last edited by FieldsMan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
00Twelve
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
00Twelve

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 6:57 am

Check, you found another actor. ;)

Much like yourself, I've got most of my background in stage work, with a couple of film/TV gigs as an extra. Love doing voiceover work and would love to get further into it. Got a commercial and character demo, inquiring into some local ad agencies at the moment.

I've currently got representation by two agencies, though I'm in a rural-ish area of Tennessee with both agencies 4 hours in opposite directions from me. Unfortunately, don't have the financing for a while to make the obvious move to a better market, needing to establish a little stability first. Looking into the local voiceover work, but other than that, there's hardly any paid work to be found around here (the one Equity theatre pays pennies to its prospective interns) and so local theatre is about my only creative outlet for the time being.

Awesome on the short film, hope it went well. :D
Back to top Go down
http://www.felixleiter.com
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 11:59 am

Voiceover work is an interesting choice. For me, I can't stand listening to my own voice. That's the worst part of acting for me - going back and seeing and listening to footage of me talking.

But yes, it's mostly unpaid work for me as well (except that TV show which paid well, but I would have done THAT for free).

Last edited by FieldsMan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyTue Sep 20, 2011 5:57 pm

I'm an actor too. Currently in Kentucky, saving up to back to LA. It's frustrating being in Louisville, but there many theaters here. Though I've only been cast in one God damn play, and only in two small roles in that play. But I did a webseries (not my best work), and I've got a paying thing being Harry Potter at the Louisville Zoo next month. laugh

00Twelve, I hear you. What really sucks is training. I'm cut off from the acting school I was in in LA, and there is nothing like that in Louisville.

But I am cast in two independent films coming up. One looks like it might actually happen in the next couple months, and the other may take longer. Still smaller parts, but I like the people involved.
Back to top Go down
00Twelve
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
00Twelve

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 4:27 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
00Twelve, I hear you. What really sucks is training. I'm cut off from the acting school I was in in LA, and there is nothing like that in Louisville.
Word, I feel ya. Spent a month taking classes in NYC back in '09 and those 4 weeks just destroyed 6 years of college training (in the good way, of course), and now I'm back in the south, cut off from all that, and there are no real acting studios to speak of here, no showcases to do, just college classes or community theatre. It can be agonizing sometimes, that's for sure.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 7:47 am

I don't think college is the best place to learn to act. I've been to one, Savannah College of Art & Design, and it was a waste of my time (two years) and my parent's money (30 grand a year).

The best place I've ever been, and the only acting school I've been to that is even worth mentioning, is Playhouse West in LA. 200 bucks a month for a pure Meisner school where Sandy Meisner himself taught for 10 years. You'd be promoted from Beginning to Intermediate to Advanced based on your own progress, not on a time schedule. It's a great, no bullshit place that I'd kill to get back to. Pure acting training from people who actually know what the fuck they are talking about, which is rare in my experience.

It's God damn frustrating I've not been in any plays here in Louisville in months. I've got two films lines up, but I need to do some plays. I don't have a class and I can't find anyone who wants to practice anything with me. Most actors I've seen here are very "traditional" in their approach, as opposed to being naturalistic. Like planning out how they're gonna say each line. In a good role I could get some attention and then get some more work I'd hope.

I've thought about standup. I just gotta write material. My humor is more off the cuff and reactive. And I've seen some local comedians, they suck. laugh
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 6:21 am

I've just joined up with IMDBpro, after realising I have a page on IMDB. Has anyone else used it? It's great seeing the agencies of establishing/established actors of people in your area, and getting their contact details. I've just sent a load of emails off to agencies that are probably better than the one I have at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 9:50 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
my parent's money (30 grand a year).

:shock: That's quite an investment. You could have gone to RADA for significantly less.

I'm concerned, though. We're headed for the worst recession for many years - have you considered an alternative way of earning a living?

Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 4:18 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
my parent's money (30 grand a year).

:shock: That's quite an investment. You could have gone to RADA for significantly less.

I'm concerned, though. We're headed for the worst recession for many years - have you considered an alternative way of earning a living?

I'll never swerve from being an actor, but you'd better believe the economy is on my mind. When you think about it, I'm doing all this crap just to pay the bills. I don't have to pay bills right now because I'm living with my dad, but I will again at some point and I'm saving up for it. Rent is the big fucker. It's pricey in LA. You can rent a damn house in Kentucky for the price of a bedroom in LA.

I'm doing all this work just be able to write good cheques and mail them off. Ugh.

I'm gonna be in an indie film, but I can't make the meeting tonight because my schedule at work got changed and I have to be there tonight. Color me pissed. I've been trying to find a better job, though.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 5:36 pm

Do you have a camera, Tux?

With your knowledge of cinema, you could probably put together a short interesting enough to be seen at a film festival of some sort.

Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyTue Oct 04, 2011 9:19 pm

Well, I have no practical experience handling a camera or making a film.

On a good note, I mentioned a meeting today, It was cancelled. Don't know why yet, but at least I'm not pissed.
Back to top Go down
00Twelve
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
00Twelve

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 12:48 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
I don't think college is the best place to learn to act. I've been to one, Savannah College of Art & Design, and it was a waste of my time (two years) and my parent's money (30 grand a year).

The best place I've ever been, and the only acting school I've been to that is even worth mentioning, is Playhouse West in LA. 200 bucks a month for a pure Meisner school where Sandy Meisner himself taught for 10 years. You'd be promoted from Beginning to Intermediate to Advanced based on your own progress, not on a time schedule. It's a great, no bullshit place that I'd kill to get back to. Pure acting training from people who actually know what the fuck they are talking about, which is rare in my experience.

It's God damn frustrating I've not been in any plays here in Louisville in months. I've got two films lines up, but I need to do some plays. I don't have a class and I can't find anyone who wants to practice anything with me. Most actors I've seen here are very "traditional" in their approach, as opposed to being naturalistic. Like planning out how they're gonna say each line. In a good role I could get some attention and then get some more work I'd hope.

I've thought about standup. I just gotta write material. My humor is more off the cuff and reactive. And I've seen some local comedians, they suck. laugh
I know just what you mean. Going back and doing a show at a college here (they had open casting for a production of The Tempest) is fun but sometimes really frustrating, the kids all at the very beginning of learning their craft (awesome for them!) but still asking the director for every little thing, like where to stand or how to move, and it's hard to hold back from saying, "Just make a choice and let her shoot it down!"

My best training was a month at New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts, it's a Meisner school as well (though I can't say he ever taught there, that's awesome!) and I'd die to get back up there as well. Sandy's where it's at.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptySat Nov 19, 2011 1:08 pm

Last edited by FieldsMan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 5:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyTue Nov 22, 2011 3:46 am

A lot has changed since I last posted in this thread.  My last post was days before my mother died, and I'm inheriting her estate.  I hope to be back in LA some time in 2012, depending on when her house is sold.  It's not even ready to put on the market yet.  Jesus, that line: It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

I was in a little movie last weekend.  Didn't get a script until the night before (which happened in the other thing I did in May), and we didn't rehearse at all.  The director is a smart guy who knows and cares about acting, but he's fucking stupid when it comes to directing actors.  I flubbed my lines twice, and on the second time he went fucking nuts.  I literally was shaken and the verge of tears.  It was weird.  It triggered something and I couldn't get back into a good working mode.  So I don't think I came off well in my scene.  It was after we finished that setup and wrapped for lunch that I was very nearly in tears.  Privately.  Then he acted like nothing happened which pissed me off even more.  I think it was because I've had so few opportunities to really act that the stakes were high on this to me.  I wasn't playing a kid like in a play I did in April, or doing a monologue, or playing some wizard.  I was playing guy with a girl in a straight acting scene.  And he could have gotten better performances out of us if he wasn't such an asshole.  He insulted the girl in front of everyone too.

As an aspiring director I vow never to fucking treat people like that, especially if I wait until the night before to make the script available to them!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyThu Jan 12, 2012 9:26 am

Tux, how did the other film go for you?

Oh and do you have an agent?
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:21 am

FieldsMan wrote:
Tux, how did the other film go for you?

Oh and do you have an agent?

I'm trying to think of what "other film" there would be. laugh

There was the one I shot in November, that will be mostly reshot sometime soon. Two lead actors were replaced, I guess for being more trouble than they were worth, so I'll get to shoot my stuff again thankfully.

I have an agent in Louisville, not that there is much for me to really do. I'm concerned now with getting back to LA some time this year, getting new headshots there, and seeking representation.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:34 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
]But I am cast in two independent films coming up.

Well at least you're getting more work than I am.

I sent a bunch of emails off to agencies and most were rejections, except for a couple, which were interested, but wanted to see just a bit more work. And then there was one agency who invited me to have a meeting in Dec. I went and they left it up to me to contact them again this month, to which I did. Then they say "after careful consideration, we feel we aren't the right agency for you at this point of your career".

Fuck you then!

And then you get agencies saying that we're looking for clients with more experience. Yeah, well, fucking represent me and I'll get more experience!

Last edited by FieldsMan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:41 am

You should put a demo reel on Vimeo, even if you just cover performances from some of your favorite films.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:02 am

Last edited by FieldsMan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:25 am

FieldsMan wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
]But I am cast in two independent films coming up.

Well at least you're getting more work than I am. Lately, I've tried getting an agent because the one I'm with isn't a proper agency... You have to pay an ongoing membership fee, plus they take a commission.

I sent a bunch of emails off to agencies and most were rejections, except for a couple, which were interested, but wanted to see just a bit more work. And then there was one agency who invited me to have a meeting in Dec. I went and they left it up to me to contact them again this month, to which I did. Then they say "after careful consideration, we feel we aren't the right agency for you at this point of your career".

Fuck you then!

And then you get agencies saying that we're looking for clients with more experience. Yeah, well, fucking represent me and I'll get more experience!

RE: The two films.  Oh yeah, there was or is a horror movie.  I've not heard anything on that in months.  It was supposed to be shot last September.  I was cast last June and they asked me to grow my hair out.  Good thing I didn't. laugh

RE: Agents.  Well, you can't be too hard on them.  In my opinion.  It's hard going, or can be, to get those first breaks and get representation, but it's not really their fault.  You've got to find a way for them to see your worth, especially as they probably have a shit load of people to look at.

But the eternal paradox.  You can't get an agent without work, and you can't get work without an agent.  Work is the real goal, because  even with an agent it's still you who gets the job.  The agent is for access.  And it's easier to get work now more than ever, or to make a reel like Brown said.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:02 am

Yeah, I've got the showreel done, and I'm constantly filming new scenes.

I was reading the trivia section on Mia What'sherface from Alice in Wonderland and Jane Eyre, who is Australian. She said at 15 she wanted to be an actress, at 17 she got an agent after hounding them to take her on board. I'll try that now. I've sent another email off to that agency who wanted the meeting. But I'm preparing myself for the worst again. Hope sucks tongue

Last edited by FieldsMan on Thu Mar 09, 2017 6:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:33 am

Just don't be a pest. If they don't want to take you on right now, do some stuff to show them to make them change their minds.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 1:32 am

I'm reshooting a film I did in November. Reshooting the scene I did, and getting a more expanded role. We were rehearsing today and it was the most fun I've had in a really long time. The director (who is an actor) actually knows about acting, so I was able to REALLY get into some good stuff today. I was also pretty much helping to coach the other actor in the scene, and she became a better actress she said to me. Man, it felt GREAT.

Now I'm off to rehearse a bullshit play with mostly bad actors. But I got to do some REAL acting today. It's literally like a junkie getting their fix. I'm riding high right now. 👽
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread EmptyThu Mar 01, 2012 5:08 am

... I've just got an agent.... :bounce:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

The Actor's Thread Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Actor's Thread   The Actor's Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Actor's Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next