More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Thunderball Door Posters on Auction

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Thunderball Door Posters on Auction Empty
PostSubject: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptySat Mar 27, 2021 7:43 pm

Saw it via the Times and taken some finding to get a link but four door posters are on auction at Sothebys. Times had said they could fetch a fair whack and indeed, the website shows an estimate of £30,000 to £50,000.

https://www.sothebys.com/en/buy/auction/2021/original-film-posters/thunderball-1965-us-set-of-4-door-panels

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptyWed Mar 31, 2021 10:42 pm

I had no idea these were that valuable but being 60's premiere door posters it makes sense as they were limited anyway and most were likely destroyed.
Of course I want them...
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptyThu Apr 01, 2021 7:19 pm

Oh I wouldn't mind either. I was looking at them Saturday thinking who I'd rather have on my door, Fiona or Domino, Fiona or Domino...Man I wish I had the kind of money to fling about.

Part of our tours pass Sotheby's where Octopussy was filmed and they once had an original Batman Movie (1966) poster which was being shown on this monitor. That too would've made me part with money if I had it.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptyFri Apr 02, 2021 9:01 am

I almost had an original GF one sheet but the fellow who entered the store in front of me bought it. This was in the past year or two where someone had traded seemingly an original poster collection of a few odds and ends. The guy bought the two good ones: GF and Taxi Driver. I couldn't believe it was at the local record store I haunt but I couldn't tell 100% if it was an original 1964 one sheet or one of the US reprints plus it was folded with heavy seam wear coming apart-but if it was an original it was FAR under value at $150usd...I would've done it.

Currently I have the TSWLM halfsheet, TLD advance teaser, TLD video store version of the US one sheet, DAD advance, DAD one sheet and the TND cardboard theater hanging display. I'd like to at least get originals from TLD-TWINE which are still relatively reasonable pricewise-but they are darn difficult to get. LTK seemingly pops up most often with TWINE/TND rarely showing and never GE posters. TLD and earlier the prices start to ramp up and get exponential the further back you go.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptyFri Apr 02, 2021 6:40 pm

That is quite the enviable collection. Must be worth a few pennies between them.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 3:11 am

I always keep an eye out and look at ebay listings. You can find a decent number of original posters for not much money but it becomes harder to differentiate them from all the endless reprints everywhere. I started listing them and as usual you don't realize how many you have.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptySat Apr 03, 2021 8:28 pm

I'll have to take a gander, been a while since I got anything like that off ebay. Got two Battle of Britain foyer posters. One's gotten a bit worn sadly in spite of my best efforts.
Back to top Go down
Thunderpussy
Cipher Clerk
Thunderpussy

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptyThu Apr 29, 2021 7:49 pm

Thunderball is an epic, Bond on the grand scale. So should get some respect for that. It must have been like trying to film one of those Huge war films of the 60s, with hundreds of extras. Sadly like many Bond fans My introduction to TB was on the television, so a lot of that spectacle was lost on me. Happily over the years with large screen televisions etc, You can come close to it's impact.
 In 1965 TB was Huge, Mega Huge, Bond was a  phenomenon. Carrying on from Goldfinger it brings the same witty script " I think he got the point " a cast of beautiful ladies, I know many who say TB has the best line up of Bond ladies. Luciana Paluzzi is immune to Bond's charms and stays a wicked lady.
 I have read some views that Largo is a weaker villain than past entries in the films, Maybe ? but I for one do like him. I remember from the Book as Fleming describing him as having the classic roman nose, and Adolfo Celi had done a few "Toga epics" so to my mind fits the bill beautifully.
  Another complaint from some is how the underwater sequences slow down the movie, although it amounts to only about twenty minutes in total, and I was blown away on first seeing the big underwater fight. It really was something you'd only see in a Bond film. No other film would attempt it.
So to finalise TB is not a perfect film, it has a few faults. I would certainly say that I prefer Dr No and FRWL to it, but I'd say it's equal to GF.  Once again I'm no expert and am only expressing a personal opinion, and sometimes your heart will over rule your head. wink
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptyWed May 05, 2021 12:41 pm

Seeing the underwater fight projected on a big screen, particularly having only initially seeing it on a television, really is a visual treat. Especially considering Young's direction and with Moore's lush photography.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptyThu May 06, 2021 10:56 pm

I should be so lucky. I think the BFI showed it a few years ago but OHMSS trumped my choice.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction EmptyThu May 06, 2021 11:15 pm

Well, OHMSS on a big screen is even better!

I should note it's not a cinema screen I've seen TB on, but in a home theatre environment. So not quite as big as being at the movies but bigger than the biggest televisions.

The only Bond films I've seen in cinemas are:

YOLT (which omitted the gun barrel sequence! angry ), TSWLM, FYEO, QOS, SF and SP.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thunderball Door Posters on Auction   Thunderball Door Posters on Auction Empty

Back to top Go down

Thunderball Door Posters on Auction
Page 1 of 1