More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND

Go down 
4 posters

Which film has the best action in series?
For Your Eyes Only
Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Vote_lcap67%Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Vote_rcap
 67% [ 2 ]
Tomorrow Never Dies
Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Vote_lcap33%Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Vote_rcap
 33% [ 1 ]
Other
Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Vote_lcap0%Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 3

AuthorMessage
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Empty
PostSubject: Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND   Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND EmptyThu Jun 24, 2021 2:28 pm

I often think about which film has the best action sequences in the series and I always seem to land on these two. For Your Eyes Only boasts some thrilling chase and stunt sequences under the inspired guidance of 1st time director John Glen. Tomorrow Never Dies, even those who aren't total fans of the film, almost universally cite its inventive and riveting action sequences as its greatest asset.

Do you think FYEO or TND has the best action in series?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND   Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND EmptyThu Jun 24, 2021 11:43 pm

Tough one, I'll have to come back to this but right now I'm leaning towards FYEO.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND   Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND EmptyFri Jun 25, 2021 11:47 am

Me too. Don't get me wrong, TND has some good 'uns (the pre-credits and the BMW car-park chase come immediately to mind) but by the time Bond is striding round the stealth boat like the Terminator it feels like things have gone awry ... whereas the odd moment of Moore-era 'cheese' aside, that doesn't happen in FYEO's.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND   Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND EmptyFri Jun 25, 2021 9:29 pm

Furthermore FYEO had some incredible stunts thrown into the mix. Not that TND doesn't but the St. Cyril ascent wasn't exactly a short hop.

Looking at it, the obvious action piece is 'runaway' which of course is a much larger piece which starts with Bond climbing up to the ski slope and kicking off. I still think the runaway part itself from Bond flying into the face of the Kriegler to the end is one of the best action scenes in a Bond film. Bobsled runs are dangerous best of times with the way the ice is but sending a stuntman down it.

There is the sub bits which might not be everyone's cup of tea but it's a little tense. St. Cyril's from when Bond starts climbing to the end, there's enough there to both create tension and to exalt at.

And of course the 2CV scenes. The initial joke of it being a 2CV is forgotten as Bond takes charge and throws the thing around like any of his cars. The Moore-nod just sends it somewhere. Only Moore could do that. Dalton doing that would just look a tad off but I can imagine a steely-eyed look.
"Who's that?"
"The other...never mind."
The way it's shot in the days before drones and CGI and whatever, the sweeping aerial shots and the music help.

So I guess I'm voting FYEO.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND   Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 9:22 am

One could easily make a case for either. I do think they're the top two films in terms of the originality, tension and how it intertwines with the narrative. OHMSS, GE and maybe TLD might come next.

But as for which wins out between FYEO and TND... I'll break down my thoughts:

PTS
The helicopter sequence with the seeming return of Blofeld resonates given Bond has just visited Tracy's grave... but it's not as tense as what it could/should have been and I think it's due to how Blofeld is treat. The arms bazaar action on the Russian border economically sets the main events of the film in motion with a good balance of tension, inventiveness and fun. The swinging camera shots, the music punctuating the action and the ticking time bomb effect with the missile strike makes for an excellent opener that screams James Bond.

Winner: Tomorrow Never Dies.

Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Tomorrow-never-dies-3

Car Chase
Remote control technology was the next logical step for Q-Branch after the submersible Wet Nellie and it doesn't disappoint. The gadgets feel fresh, and it was a nice touch for Bond to drive over the tyre spikes but then he's equipped with the re-inflatable tyres. It really is a technical achievement in convincingly executing the car's tech. And of course, Backseat Driver underscoring the sequence amplifies the fun and wow factor... But I'm just so drawn to the 2CV chase to be honest. It might actually be my favourite car chase in the series. The stunt work is incredible, and I like how Bond has to rely on his wits in a less-than car. It ups the tension while still being fun. And with Remy Julienne's genius in his choreography, well, it's the cherry on top.  

Winner: For Your Eyes Only.

Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND For-your-eyes-only-car-chase-1

The Secondary Chase

I'm going to compare the Runaway and the Bike Chase sequences in this one because they're executed in a similar fashion: that Bondian escalation where its begins as a simple chase but progresses with more danger and sometimes absurdity that always enhances the fun factor. This is the toughest one yet, in my opinion.

Both start off with a stunt from great heights: the ski jump which kickstarts the chase and Bond and Wai Lin rappel from Carver's building using his banner. Then its ski chase > through the restaurant > the bobsled run > and onto a roof. For TND, it's then a handcuffed Bond and Wai Lin fighting for control of the bike while evading pursuers > onto the roofs with an added helicopter in pursuit > jump onto a lower rooftop and rumbling balconies > the chopper turning its blades into a weapon.

Runaway's energy is genuinely pulse pounding whereas the bike chase feels ballsier and heavy. And yet both are thrilling to watch. In both instances, I feel the filmmakers found genuinely fresh ways to keep Bond in danger and demonstrate something we haven't seen before.

The slight edge goes to Tomorrow Never Dies, for the cultural element (the Saigon streets and rooftops add local colour) while the action serves to characterise not only Wai Lin but the dynamic between she and Bond. Spottiswoode's direction to tell both the actors they're the one who's in control was a brilliant move.

Winner: Tomorrow Never Dies.

Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Tomorrow23

The Big Stunt

The HALO Jump is hugely impressive but I think that there are a few too many edits that detract from the true spectacle it could have been. That said, there's something in the fact it's treated so unceremoniously in the film - that it's just a necessity for Bond to slip in undetected. But the rock climbing sequence is truly one of the finest sequences in any Bond film. The tension and the set up is unparalleled and that shot of Bond falling and hanging by the rope is truly one of the most harrowing moments in any Bond film.

Winner: For Your Eyes Only

Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Bond-on-cliff

This ended up being longer than anticipated so stay tuned for Part 2.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND   Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND EmptySat Jun 26, 2021 11:07 am

I know the thread's about action, but I'd say FYEO's rock-climb is amongst the series' most suspenseful.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND   Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND EmptySun Jun 27, 2021 3:46 am

If it's specifically FYEO v TND it's FYEO because John Glen was not only a DAMN fine second unit director but a DAMN good editor who was chomping at the bit and pulling out all stops to prove himself. The most you can criticize FYEO is being the Editor's or Second Unit Director's Bond film.

The car chase is the best in the series, the ski action manages to set a new bar that has never been surpassed in any film-with the runaway sequence coming after a suspense sequence making it last almost a whole reel, the PTS is jokes aside absolutely spectacular, the underwater action is extremely well done with the keel hauling sequence being a masterpiece of execution, the night raid on the warehouse is first rate mixing the gypsy camp type fight spectacle with old fashioned charm and the final Metora climb has these elements in spades.
Everything is story oriented and never sags. It gets topped off by Derek Meddings OUTDOING himself yet again with some of the best effects work of any series entry and it's entirely invisible.

I say all this and adore TND and think it's the last well edited Bond film to date. The editing is super tight courtesy of Spottiswoode's direction and experience which helps tremendously to keep the film moving properly and to keep the production difficulties from being as apparent as they otherwise would have been had someone else made the film. But in the action I'm just not as much of a fan of Armstrong as 2nd unit director and the Brosnan era was the point where the "video game action" feel started to creep into a lot of the criticism even at the time. I think in TND the car and bike sequences are spectacular, the PTS is well done but sags a bit and the stealth boat finale feels a touch of going through the motions though it was seemingly hastily reworked during shooting so I can't really blame them.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND   Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND EmptyMon Jun 28, 2021 10:40 am

The talk about how TND's stealth ship is too heavy handed on the action doesn't quite ring true to me. For one, we finally have a female agent who does more than throw a punch or rely on other men to do the dirty work. But above all that, is Bond's back up plan, which demonstrates a heightened awareness and maturity; Bond's objective is force the stealth ship to show up on radar and to slow it down. I don't find it accurate to allude to 'video game' action.

Out of curiosity (and feel free to vote in the poll if you haven't already), which Bond film does have the best action sequences in your opinion?

BI wrote:
I know the thread's about action, but I'd say FYEO's rock-climb is amongst the series' most suspenseful.

100% agree.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND   Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND Empty

Back to top Go down

Best Action Sequences? FYEO v TND
Page 1 of 1