More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+12
He Who Dares, Wins
hegottheboot
Salomé
Xenia93
trevanian
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Somerset
CJB
Hilly
Sarai
Perilagu Khan
Blunt Instrument
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40
AuthorMessage
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptySat Dec 02, 2023 5:12 pm

My dad told me TCFTBL scared the piss outta him when he saw it as a li'l nipper back in '54 or whenever it came out. Apparently, that film was something of a horror sensation at the time.

Miller's Crossing (1990)

I've got a feeling this will impress me more on repeated viewings. Frankly, the plot is so intricate and convoluted that the viewer must devote all his energy to simply making sense of what he's seeing, rather than appreciating the delights the film undoubtedly holds.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptySat Dec 02, 2023 5:29 pm

PK, yes it came out in 54. 11 years before Thunderball.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptySun Dec 03, 2023 11:03 am

Another Saturday night schlocky double-bill for me.

Legend Of The Seven Golden Vampires - it wasn't only Bond that martial arts infiltrated in '74 ... in this Hammer production, here we have Dracula and chop-socky together at last! Peter Cushing appears once more as Van Helsing, but it seems Christopher Lee couldn't be persuaded to reprise Drac ... he's played by a different actor in this. It has the good sense to keep the action, blood-spilling and gratuitous tit-flashes coming fairly regularly and at a trim 90 minutes doesn't outstay its welcome. Also starring Julie Ege.

Piranha (2010) - remake of the Joe Dante comedy-horror original that has gore, guffaws and titties in abundance as shoals of the titular carnivorous fishies attack Lake Victoria in Arizona during Spring Break. With Elizabeth Shue, Jerry O'Connell, Adam Scott, Ving Rhames, Kelly Brook ( drool ) and featuring cameos from Richard Dreyfus and Christopher Lloyd.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2023 1:58 am

Indiana Jones & the Child of Destiny

Not as bad as I feared, I saw the whole thing straight through, which is more than I can say for SKULL. But the visual credibility factor really strained things. Indy is kind of like Bond in that one of the main draws was hot they were always doing something for real, or apparently real. But there's nothing looking remotely real in this movie, and so the stakes are lessened to the point that I might be tempted to call this Indy Goes ParaSailing in 'honor' of DIE ANOTHER DAY.

I realize they had a lot of story to tell, but this thing is at least a half-hour too long to be a workable Indy adventure for me. I think if they'd truncated things earlier on, they'd have had time to let Indy spend a few minutes taking in more than just scenery during his jaunt back to olden times. But that would have probably been a different movie.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2023 3:23 am

Worth watching? It looked like it was following the NTTD trope of stoopid old white hero replaced by superior boss girl etc. That said, I’ve never been a big Indy-ite so I’m not as emotionally invested.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2023 4:22 am

WEIRD-THE AL YANKOVIC STORY
Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fimg91.pixhost.to%2Fimages%2F154%2F404551652_j2va1piz11xq
I dug Weird Al as a teenager, so wanted to check this out, assuming it was a biopic. It is not. It is befittingly a parody on a biopic.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptyTue Dec 05, 2023 7:26 pm

CJB wrote:
Worth watching? It looked like it was following the NTTD trope of stoopid old white  hero replaced by superior boss girl etc. That said, I’ve never been a big Indy-ite so I’m not as emotionally invested.

I just assume any modern--postmodern, actually--continuations of hoary old franchises such as Star Wars and Indy aren't worth a cup of warm piss for the very reason to which you allude. Thus, I don't bother watching them.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2023 5:00 am

CJB wrote:
Worth watching? It looked like it was following the NTTD trope of stoopid old white  hero replaced by superior boss girl etc. That said, I’ve never been a big Indy-ite so I’m not as emotionally invested.

I thought we wouldn't last past the wwII opening, because it looked so wrong. And then when it jumped to '69, it looked pretty wrong again, but in an overexposed way. I think I kept watching because I was waiting for a 'normal-looking' scene, but there were only occasionally normal-looking shots, and they were intercut with other weird-looking shots.

I really liked parts of the first movie (the scene where Indy realizes he can't bring himself to blow up the ark justifies the whole movie for me, but it also kind of serves as a culmination for the character that none of the other touch, for me at least), but found 2 & 3 to be a mixed bag, and 4 to be abysmal. So I'm not an INDY fan exactly .... but some of the cutting and scoring choices in RAIDERS -- the truck chase, the fight under the plane, the boarding of the boat by the Nazis -- are just sensational by themselves.

I didn't ever get a feeling like that from anything in this one, so I'd say that if I had it to do over again ... I wouldn't watch (full disclosure: I've never even watched TITANIC all the way through ... I saw some of the ending on cable and my wife and I realized we shouldn't be laughing uproariously at people pretending to freeze in water. It's been over 30 years since Cameron made a watchable movie in my opinion.)
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptyWed Dec 06, 2023 7:32 pm

SOUND OF FREEDOM
Or free-dumb as the nazis like to call it. Very engaging movie. For some reason, this was apparently very controversial in some circles. Perhaps the topic should best be swept under the rug.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptyFri Dec 08, 2023 4:44 am

FAMILY SWITCH
Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fsdmoviespoint.gold%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2023%2F12%2FFamily-Switch-2023-Full-Movie-Download-Free-HD-720p-Dual-Audio_1
I was prepared for lameness, but found it to be both cute and funny much of the time. Another body swap comedy, this time due to planetary alignment (perhaps). It is also Christmas themed, and I suspect, as I often do, that this is only in the hope that it will be played annually as several of those are.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptySat Dec 09, 2023 1:59 am

TED (the first one.) Unfortunately my disk hung up very early so I couldn't watch the unrated version and settled for the theatrical via streaming. Laughed even more than I remembered doing before, and still marvel at how good sunlight is simulated on Ted's fur. Also, my wife and I have never seen FLASH GORDON, but the Sam Jones stuff in Ted was enough to get us to youtube various clips of Flashand we wound up seeing about 45minutes of it (mostly Dalton stuff.) Might actually watch the whole thing sometime.

Totally unrelated note: read that OPPENHEIMER didn't make the top 20 for the VFX oscar, but INDIANA JONES did. Geez, the trailer for OP had better stuff than anything in the whole of Indy 5.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptySat Dec 09, 2023 9:28 am

KILLERS OF THE FLOWER MOON
Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.impawards.com%2F2023%2Fposters%2Fkillers_of_the_flower_moon_ver3
Cinematic perfection, but like the Irishman it is just too long to keep the interest and not rewatchable like some other Scorseses are. (The Departed, Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver spring to mind.)
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptySat Dec 09, 2023 11:16 am

trevanian wrote:
TED (the first one.) Unfortunately my disk hung up very early so I couldn't watch the unrated version and settled for the theatrical via streaming. Laughed even more than I remembered doing before, and still marvel at how good sunlight is simulated on Ted's fur. Also, my wife and I have never seen FLASH GORDON, but the Sam Jones stuff in Ted was enough to get us to youtube various clips of Flashand we wound up seeing about 45minutes of it (mostly Dalton stuff.) Might actually watch the whole thing sometime.

Totally unrelated note: read that OPPENHEIMER didn't make the top 20 for the VFX oscar, but INDIANA JONES did. Geez, the trailer for OP had better stuff than anything in the whole of Indy 5.

Flash is great campy fun. The casting alone makes one's mind boggle ... from the likes of Von Sydow and Topol to the still mostly known for his stage work at the time Dalton, to a lead who'd never acted before to a guy best known as a BBC kids show presenter (Peter Duncan, the one who gets fatally bitten by the beastie in the swamp tree stump).
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptySun Dec 10, 2023 1:05 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:

I just assume any modern--postmodern, actually--continuations of hoary old franchises such as Star Wars and Indy aren't worth a cup of warm piss for the very reason to which you allude. Thus, I don't bother watching them.

You're not wrong.

Top Gun: Maverick is the only sequel to an 'old' film/franchise in recent times that didn't take its now older white male hero and turn him into an incompetent joke, clowned by a younger 'diverse' newcomer.

Disney Star Wars and NTTD are, of course, the standout examples, where erstwhile heroes (Han Solo, Luke Skywalker, James Bond) were not just turned into punchlines, but also literally killed off.

trevanian wrote:

I didn't ever get a feeling like that from anything in this one, so I'd say that if I had it to do over again ... I wouldn't watch

To the bottom o' the pile it goes...
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptySun Dec 10, 2023 8:36 am

THE KILLER

Interesting and good looking movie about a coldblooded contract killer (Fassbender) who listens to The Smiths and takes his aliases from various tv shows. Not something I am itching to watch again, though.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 EmptySun Dec 10, 2023 11:22 am

Die Hard + Die Hard 2 - 'tis the season. Bruce Willis in his action hero pomp as wisecracking, fish-out-of-water, takes-a-licking-but-keeps-on-ticking NYPD cop John McClane.

-------
Since too many posts were made, this topic has been divided automatically. You can find the rest of this topic here :
https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/t4104-last-movie-you-watched
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 40 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched.
Page 40 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 21 ... 38, 39, 40