More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Living Daylights remix?

Go down 
+4
Gravity's Silhouette
Largo's Shark
Lazenby.
bitchcraft
8 posters
AuthorMessage
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

The Living Daylights remix? Empty
PostSubject: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 2:31 am

Anyone familiar with this? It does sound like a-ha...

Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 2:45 am

It's this:

Wikipedia wrote:
A second version of the song, re-worked by A-ha in 1988, later appeared on their third album, Stay on These Roads. Not surprisingly, the band prefers their version of the song to Barry's.

Last edited by Lazenby. on Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:03 am; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 2:57 am

Lazenby. wrote:
It's this:

Wikipedia wrote:
A second version of the song, re-worked by A-ha in 1988, later appeared on their third album, Stay on These Roads. Not surprisingly, the band prefers their version of the song to Barry's.

What a bunch of arrogant C***S. Everything Barry said about them was spot on.

That version Dog posted sounds bleeding awful. Overproduced, overly mannered pseudo-Bowie vocals, tinny synth hits, dated synth bass, no sense of drama etc.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 3:02 am

Yep, the band can surely only prefer the above version of the track simply because they didn't get along with Barry, thus don't like hearing the man's contributions on the track. Because there's simply no contest. Barry makes it big and brings drama out of it, but the above version actually sounds like an unfinished prior version rather than a later version.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 3:09 am

I found this on the tension that existed between the two...

PS Thanks for the Stay on these roads mention, I'll check it out tonight...
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 3:20 am

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
I found this on the tension that existed between the two...

Yep, from UK Channel 4's James Bond's Greatest Hits programme from 2006, one of the most enjoyable Bond TV shows from recent years. You may well find the whole show on YouTube if you look around DB, it's well worth a watch.

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
PS Thanks for the Stay on these roads mention, I'll check it out tonight...

The title track from that album was rather lovely. They were a good band back in the day. Shame about the whole fallout thing with Barry though.

Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 5:59 pm

Sharky wrote:
Lazenby. wrote:
It's this:

Wikipedia wrote:

What a bunch of arrogant C***S. Everything Barry said about them was spot on.

That version Dog posted sounds bleeding awful. Overproduced, overly mannered pseudo-Bowie vocals, tinny synth hits, dated synth bass, no sense of drama etc.

Agreed that the film version is preferable than A-ha's Stay On These Roads version, but I also think they were hired to do the song based on who they were at the time and their style at the time, and I'm not sure that their sound was necessarily a good fit for a Bond film (and that's coming from someone who is a huge fan of A-ha). Reminds me of Garbage's contribution to the series; in both instances the final product doesn't really sound like anything that the groups had done prior to being picked.

A-ha's sound and style would move away from synth-pop after their 1988 album, but it wouldn't matter; they never caught on in the U.S. after their first album.

I like the film version of THE LIVING DAYLIGHTS, but might have preferred a harder edge to it, which is why I like WHERE HAS EVERYBODY GONE the best of the lot. And TLD may not be A-ha's best song, but Barry was scarcely in a position to criticize: parts of his score for TLD were less than his usual standards, particularly the action edit as Bond is hanging onto the jeep at Gibraltar.

I also think there was a deliberate attempt to replicate the huge success of Duran Duran's song and video and it simply didn't work, and then it appeared EON gave up entirely trying to synchronize their film and music offerings. I can't imagine how hiring Gladys Knight and Patti Labelle just two years later was meant to sell a lot of records and cross-promote Bond.
Back to top Go down
mattjoes

mattjoes

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyThu Sep 08, 2011 6:26 am

Love that Stay on These Roads version and love its 80's sound. Hell, allow me to be blasphemous and say I may prefer it to the film version.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 1:44 pm

You don't remix Barry....
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyThu Sep 22, 2011 1:47 pm

lachesis wrote:
You don't remix Barry....

Tell that to David Arnold.
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong
Q Branch
Q Branch
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyFri Sep 23, 2011 12:38 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
I can't imagine how hiring Gladys Knight and Patti Labelle just two years later was meant to sell a lot of records and cross-promote Bond.
Yeah, it's pretty baffling. Gladys Knight's a fine choice (even if she wasn't a record-seller), but I don't know why they had to give her a 'Goldfinger' ripoff to sing. Would've been better to go with Clapton and Kamen's song, whatever that may have been. (Or if it was no good, at least get Kamen to help write the main theme.)

From what I've heard, 'If You Asked Me To' was used because EON were obligated to pick from a list of songs given to them by a specific record company. And Patti Labelle's was the one they chose. (Source: MI6 user 'The Cat'... I think that was his name)
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 1:48 pm

I like the photos of Barry with a-ha. laugh

"Let's make this quick so I can get the fuck out of here..."
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptyWed Nov 23, 2011 2:01 pm

Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptySat Nov 26, 2011 11:56 pm

That was one of AoN's low points I'd say. Gary and JJ needed Anne to keep tracks on track - she was the only musician.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? EmptySun Nov 27, 2011 12:03 am

Some of the stiffest gated verb drum samples and Fairlight orchestra hits I've ever heard. Art of Noise up their own arse. I really just posted it for the fabulous video (3:18 onwards). .
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Living Daylights remix?   The Living Daylights remix? Empty

Back to top Go down

The Living Daylights remix?
Page 1 of 1