More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+41
Chief of SIS
EyelessCougar
Toppers
Loomis
Harmsway
CJB
Lobelia Overhill
FG Wells
Manhunter
Bounine
MBalje
Salomé
Aston_Martini
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Drax
bitchcraft
Prince Kamal Khan
HJackson
lalala2004
Louis Armstrong
bondfan06
Fae
dr. strangelove
G section
Lazenby.
Control
Largo's Shark
Tubes
Jack Wade
Makeshift Python
Mr. Trevelyan
Fairbairn-Sykes
Ravenstone
tiffanywint
GeneralGogol
Hilly
Blunt Instrument
colly
The White Tuxedo
Seve
trevanian
45 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 3:28 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Laz, the new avatar is splendid!

Wish I could take credit for it, but alas, someone posted it here the other week and I made a point of saving it. I just cut the edges off and avatarised it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 2:30 pm

I watched An Education last night. An excellent film. Performances were simply brilliant, with Rosamund Pike turning a wondrously cheeky performance. I love her as Miranda Frost, but what better things they could have done with her. And, as it was made in 2009, I'm sure she could still be a Craig Bond girl. They'd be fantastic together, and I know she is up for it anyway! Carey Mulligan is proving to be a fantastic actress, with Pride And Prejudice, Never Let Me Go and now this under her belt: she is superb. With a pleasant score, including Beth Rowley and Duffy's great numbers and some lovely visuals, it's a great film.

9/10
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptySat Sep 10, 2011 6:33 pm

Lazenby. wrote:
trevanian wrote:
Sharky wrote:
No, much worse. I'm a big fan of Zsigmond's style, but when you take that diffuse glow (or whatever you call it) to extremes, it becomes rather disgusting. Like someone just came over the lens.

I've rarely thought much of Zsigmond, and think perhaps the review of his work in MARRIAGE OF A YOUNG STOCKBROKER that says the movie looks like it was shot through a dirty windshield is close to appropriate. His response was something akin to: perhaps the work reflects my attitude towards the project. If true, and not just being smart-ass, then he must not have thought much of many films he worked on.

I absolutely loved the look he gave McCabe & Mrs Miller though. The way I see it, if you're showing the audience a movie which is, through it's setting, a time capsule of a distant time, then it should look like it's just been "unearthed" from a time capsule as opposed to the terrible look of many contemporary period pieces where they'll just chuck a horrible digital colouring process over the thing yet it's still all pin-sharp and modern, thus any real mood or atmosphere of authenticity just isn't there because you're reminded with every single frame that it's a product of the digital age. Even on DVD, McCabe still looks brilliantly authentic because of how it was originally shot.

Yeah, I think that is really good, and a huge difference from the way anyone had done things previously. I don't object to Zsigmond on THE LONG GOODBYE either. Best use of reflections in sliding glass doors, as I recall, though it has been awhile. The more I read about CLOSE ENCOUNTERS, though, the more I think the stuff I like best in it was all shot by the other four or five DPs on the show, while Zsigmond got all the award credit.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 12:40 am

Robert Redford's The Conspirator 2010. James McAvoy
It's about the trial of the Lincoln conspirators, specifically focusing on the woman, Mary Surratt.
Yes it appears she was indeed railroaded and probably wasn't guilty of anything more than knowing what her son and the others were plotting or maybe plotting, yadda yadda, but unfortunately the film is a thinly disguised sanctimonious liberal propaganda film. Dutifully villified are Lincoln's Republican allies, the US Military establishment, "mis-guided" patriotism, a Christian preacher, the horror of capital punishment.
Sean Penn, Matt Damon and company will leave the theatre feeling appropriately outraged, energized and envigoured. Yawn.
Back to top Go down
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 1:53 am

tiffanywint wrote:
It's about the trial of the Lincoln conspirators, specifically focusing on the woman, Mary Surratt.
Yes it appears she was indeed railroaded and probably wasn't guilty of anything more than knowing what her son and the others were plotting or maybe plotting, yadda yadda, but unfortunately the film is a thinly disguised sanctimonious liberal propaganda film. Dutifully villified are Lincoln's Republican allies, the US Military establishment, "mis-guided" patriotism, a Christian preacher, the horror of capital punishment.
Sean Penn, Matt Damon and company will leave the theatre feeling appropriately outraged, energized and envigoured. Yawn.

Like they were for this one?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_U_DH1UV7fAY/SrtfeTVzA6I/AAAAAAAAAUU/pShSQSYz-DA/s1600-h/Hollowood+RED+Carpet.jpg
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 2:40 am

[quote="Prince Kamal Khan"]
tiffanywint wrote:

Like they were for this one?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_U_DH1UV7fAY/SrtfeTVzA6I/AAAAAAAAAUU/pShSQSYz-DA/s1600-h/Hollowood+RED+Carpet.jpg[/quote]

Maybe not as bad as a Moore film laugh but what is, other than maybe a Haggis film? 👅
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 6:55 pm

I've watched DAYS OF HEAVEN and LAST YEAR IN MARIENBAD on the big screen in the last four days. Probably tops even the time I got to watch Citizen Kane and The Red Shoes in the same week. Won't say much really except that both are magical, hypnotic cinematic experiences and that I'm slightly more iffy about saying that The Tree of Life is Malick's finest film (although I'll stick with that for now). Paramount had better bring Days of Heaven out on Region B Blu soon, since the DVD is entirely inadequate.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptySun Sep 11, 2011 7:42 pm

633 Squadron

the only film alas I have with Cliff Robertson in and thus a tribute viewing.
The film itself is a bit muddled and off in places. Acting isn't helped by some such as Maria Peschy playing George Chalkiris' sister (himself not too sharp). Yet the acting is rescued in places by Cliff Robertson who I always thought was quite laid back as the WingCo tired after dozens of sorties with a faint, screw you attitude. Indeed Robertson owned his own Spitfire at the time. Aside from the late Robertson Harry Andrews is first rate as the Air Vice Marshal. Kind of Churchill like but with sharper teeth, right down to the last lines of the movie: "You can't kill a squadron!"
Good points include the use of actual Mosquitoes, Ron Goodwin's music (even if the 633 theme is oft repeated), the aerial photography (like Goodwin, like Hamish who got the Mossies, the B-25 aerial camera ship is also from Battle of Britain). We also have Donald Huston. Slap Donald Sinden in here and it'd have been the balls.
Bad points, acting, some cuts that don't look right, the SFX for the bomb run...even that insane Klebb-esque Gestapo woman. Oh and how Norway sometimes looks like Buckinghamshire but also Spain.
It's a bit of a blast though. Probably best to smile through it.
:3*:
Now, supposedly George Lucas was inspired by some of its scenes. If not this YouTube vid shows how closely perhaps the Death Star run was to the final moments of 633.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 6:35 am

X-Men: First Class (2011)

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 Large_x-men_first_class_blue_blu-ray_5

Loved it in theaters, love it even more on this second viewing. It's neck and neck with X2 as the best of the series. Heck, I might even consider it the better. It's just groovy. I want to see more X-Men stories with McAvoy and Fassbender. Jackman would be better off having his little cameo as his farewell to the series, you couldn't do better than that.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 7:10 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Loved it in theaters, love it even more on this second viewing. It's neck and neck with X2 as the best of the series. Heck, I might even consider it the better. It's just groovy. I want to see more X-Men stories with McAvoy and Fassbender. Jackman would be better off having his little cameo as his farewell to the series, you couldn't do better than that.
Yep, I will be grabbing the blu-ray at first opportunity. As soon as I see it at a decent price, which might take awhile, but once I get my paws on it, I plan on settling in for a couple of repeat viewings. One of the best films of the year, I think, of any genre.
The film also caused me to think a 60's-period Bond-film might work. Even though we're talking 40-50 years ago, X-Men demonstrated you can still have fun with the tech, escapist sets etc. and do a colourful period piece.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:42 pm

CAPE FEAR (1991, dir. Martin Scorsese)

I've been reading through CONVERSATIONS WITH SCORSESE by Richard Schickel (it's very good, and this is coming from a guy who isn't a massive Scorsese fan), and had an itch to revisit this film. I've always written CAPE FEAR off, but now I'm thinking I've done it a disservice. There's something to the sheer bombast of this flick.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:48 pm

I always thought Nick Nolte was miscast. I could never believe him as a timid, intellectual-type. It's also one of De Niro's laziest performances. He's just a pantomime villain. No real menace.

I get what CAPE FEAR 91's trying to be, but boy does it miss the mark.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 2:00 pm

Sharky wrote:
I always thought Nick Nolte was miscast. I could never believe him as a timid, intellectual-type.
Is he supposed to be a timid, intellectual-type? That's not how I read his character at all.

Sharky wrote:
It's also one of De Niro's laziest performances. He's just a pantomime villain. No real menace.
I don't think it's his best work, but I do think you're underselling his performance a bit. Or, rather, underselling the effect of his pantomiming.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 2:46 pm

The ROCK - still one brilliant testesteron driven macho vehicle that gave Connery back the actioner status he so bloody well deserved. It has its flaws but it is a great thrillride, too bad Bay forgot how to do this in his Transformermovies.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 2:59 pm

BRIDESMAIDS
Reminded me that sometimes I worry that my life is a Judd Apatow film. Not in a good way.
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 11:15 pm

OUR IDIOT BROTHER (2011)
Jesse Peretz, director

Wasn't expecting much, since I usually don't care for these "indy" comedies. But yeah, I found it to be a very enjoyable and pleasant flick. Lots of dry, mostly intelligent humor...and a solid cast (Zooey Deschanel is fucking adorable, and there's even a scene where she makes out with Rashida Jones). One of the better Hollywood comedies this summer.
8/10

STRAW DOGS (1973)
Sam Peckinpah, director

Peckinpah's editing technique is really somethings else, especially during the tension-filled scenes. It's quick and crisp, while still being completely intelligible. He's always showing you everything that's going on, even if it doesn't seem relevant to the actions onscreen (I'm mostly referring to the church scene, and the siege at the end). I believe I made a similar comment about ALFREDO GARCIA on the old forum, but once again, the characters and relationships in this film feel very real and genuine. Actually, the entire film emits that kind of aura. Peckinpah is obviously trying to say something about violence, and how far it takes to push even the most peaceful and cowardly people (Hoffman, in this film) over the edge and into a violent state. It's not a terribly original theme, but like I said, Peckinpah makes it feel genuine and, well....truly dramatic in nearly every sense. At the end of the film when Hoffman proclaims "Jesus...I actually got them all", the film almost breaths a sigh of relief that is suitably dramatic and effective, not just some kind of throwaway line in a summer blockbuster.

The rape scene is obviously controversial. But, Peckinpah even puts a spin on that. The rapist is a former lover, and as shown by Mrs. Sumner's actions earlier in the film, she still has some lingering feelings for him. I didn't get the feeling that Peckinpah was trying to convey some misogynistic message that women enjoy being raped (like so many haters of Peckinpah seem to assert). I think Peckinpah was trying to show how confusing and terrible the situation is, and to show how conflicted Mrs. Sumner was, which is why she yells for both David AND Charlie to rescue her at the end. It's a disgusting and uncomfortable scene, but it's more complex than people think it is and it certainly provides room for discussion and analysis.

STRAW DOGS is a hard film to rate, for me. I can't say I necessary enjoyed watching it, but I think it's an effective film that is incredibly well constructed and wildly succeeds at everything it attempts to do and say.
8/10
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 12:00 am

Santa wrote:
BRIDESMAIDS
Reminded me that sometimes I worry that my life is a Judd Apatow film. Not in a good way.

This movie was surprisingly funny. One of the great sleeper hits of the year.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 5:40 am

tiffanywint wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:
Yep, I will be grabbing the blu-ray at first opportunity. As soon as I see it at a decent price, which might take awhile, but once I get my paws on it, I plan on settling in for a couple of repeat viewings. One of the best films of the year, I think, of any genre.
The film also caused me to think a 60's-period Bond-film might work. Even though we're talking 40-50 years ago, X-Men demonstrated you can still have fun with the tech, escapist sets etc. and do a colourful period piece.

I do like the Dr No style title sequence at the end with the dots turning into genes.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:05 am

Makeshift Python wrote:

That pic's just crying out for a caption.... maybe Mr Brown can make some use of it.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:29 am

"What is Moneypenny doing on the floor in the VR room?"
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:37 am

A mobile phone's probably just rang.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:39 am

Lazenby. wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:

That pic's just crying out for a caption.... maybe Mr Brown can make some use of it.

Is this really the audition stage for SAVED BY THE BELL: A NEW GENERATION?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 6:44 am

They're looking at footage 50 years into the future.

"Is that... James Bond... In a dress? Results of nuclear war really must have fucked with our culture."
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 9:48 am

'Wolverine told them to go WHAT themselves?'
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 EmptyTue Sep 13, 2011 11:10 am

I just finish watching The Shawshank Redemption!

It's been a long time since a movie made me cry and this movie did!! If you haven't seen it, YOU SHOULD!

5/5!!

not something you expect from Stephen King too - NEXT: THE GREEN MILE!! Same Director, also written by Stephen King!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 38 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 38 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 20 ... 37, 38, 39, 40  Next