More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

You Only Live Twice in Review

Go down 
+13
silvertoe
hegottheboot
Perilagu Khan
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
CJB
ironpony
Largo's Shark
GeneralGogol
bitchcraft
Richard Hannay
SJK91
Fae
Fort Knox
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu May 06, 2021 4:44 pm

I started out loving everything about YOLT, until I read John Brosnan (or was it Steven J Rubin?) describing it as 'a gaudy but effective spectacle'. That turned me off until I realized that opinions are like rectums and returned to loving everything about it.

Thanks to Elon Musk and Spacex, Bird One is is becoming science fact. YOLT will soon me more topical than MR ever was.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu May 06, 2021 10:50 pm

Never know, stranger things have happened.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu May 06, 2021 11:11 pm

AMC Hornet wrote:

Thanks to Elon Musk and Spacex, Bird One is is becoming science fact.

Perhaps it's just early in Oz or I'm blanking on YOLT knowledge.... but why?
Back to top Go down
AMC Hornet
Head of Station
Head of Station
AMC Hornet

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptyThu May 06, 2021 11:52 pm

Bird One - SPECTRE's intruder rocket - landed upright, like all the V2-inspired movie rockets before it. NASA had already experimented with such designs before scrapping them in favour of water landings and re-entry gliders.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptySun May 09, 2021 2:43 pm

Ah, I see. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptySat May 06, 2023 4:20 pm

This film is best when Tanaka and Aki are on screen. Tanaka cracks me up--"I have much curiosity, Bond-san!" "Do not use it, Bond-san! This can only be for children." (One can only imagine Q fuming over those remarks.)--and Aki is both lovely (that blue dress she wears is how women should always dress) and resourceful. Consequently, YOLT peaks with Bond's arrival in Japan through his marriage to Kissy, and then peters out toward the end.

Mrs. Khan, incidentally, informed me last night that Helga is her favorite villainess in the series. The things that are revealed even unto one's ca. 19th viewing of a film.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptySun May 07, 2023 1:10 am

The "Japanese travelogue" elements of YOLT, book and film, is its best aspect. Tanaka makes for a good cultural attaché.

Unfortunately much of the film is quite bland and forgettable. Connery's worst, in my view.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptySun May 07, 2023 3:42 pm

Yes. Deffo Seanery's worst. And Sean himself does little to help the film's cause. When 007 is the fourth most interesting character in a Bond film, you've got trouble.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon May 08, 2023 11:05 am

Maybe Connery should've channelled some of the ire he felt towards the intrusiveness of the Japanese Press into his performance.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptyMon May 08, 2023 3:49 pm

Indeed. Anything to give him a bit of an edge. Seanery packed all the wallop of a cup of Ovaltine in this one.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue May 09, 2023 7:23 am

The fight in Osato's office is decent enough in that regard, if memory serves.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 EmptyTue May 09, 2023 2:34 pm

The action highlight of the film.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: You Only Live Twice in Review   You Only Live Twice in Review - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

You Only Live Twice in Review
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2