More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Filmmakers Recycling Music

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Filmmakers Recycling Music Empty
PostSubject: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:34 pm

What do you folks think of filmmakers who recycle bits of scores from past films? And not their own films, either.

For example, Tarantino likes to do this quite often, from using Morricone's music to Herrmann's. I've not read anything of Morricone speaking out against this, but can imagine that Mr. Herrmann wouldn't have been too enthusiastic about the concept. I figure most talented composers craft specific and precise scores for their films and the music really shouldn't be thrown into a modern film. With the connections that Tarantino has, why isn't he able to get his own fucking composer?

By the way, hasn't he already ripped off a Morricone score for his next film?

I don't care for the idea.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:39 pm

One of the things I hated about 'Bloodthirsty Basterds' was the recycling of Giorgio Moroder's 'Putting Out Fire'. Mind you, it was no.99 on a very long list.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 6:53 pm

If a score from another film is used to great effect I think it's just fine. It shouldn't be restricted to pop songs/classical music.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
With the connections that Tarantino has, why isn't he able to get his own fucking composer?
He doesn't want one. He's a control freak when it comes to music.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 8:52 pm

Didn't he originally want Morricone to score BASTERDS but the he was unavailable?
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 9:54 pm

I hate it. I'm mildly annoyed by the use of classical music in films, but recycling film scores drives me mental.

Harmsway wrote:
Mr. Brown wrote:
With the connections that Tarantino has, why isn't he able to get his own fucking composer?
He doesn't want one. He's a control freak when it comes to music.

That's not true. He wanted Morricone for BASTERDS, but he was busy scoring a Tornatore film in Italy.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 11:12 pm

Sharky wrote:
I'm mildly annoyed by the use of classical music in films
I'm only annoyed if the pieces are overused or used poorly. In truth, I wish more films relied on classical music.

Sharky wrote:
That's not true. He wanted Morricone for BASTERDS, but he was busy scoring a Tornatore film in Italy.
Morricone is the only composer to which Tarantino would extend that honor. (And I believe he's pretty much said as much.)

Oh, and did you mean to post the above material in this thread?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:45 am

Harmsway wrote:
Sharky wrote:
I'm mildly annoyed by the use of classical music in films

I'm only annoyed if the pieces are overused or used poorly.

Sadly that's about 90% of the time. Too many "serious" filmmakers try to see themselves as the next Kubrick, and think they can pull it off. Although he's a vet, I haven't been impressed by Scorcese's use of classical in the last 2 decades. Although I enjoy many of the pieces and composers heard in SHUTTER ISLAND (Penderecki, Scelsi etc.), I thought the handling of their music was clumsy and hamfisted at best.

Malick's different. He's a got a great dramatic sense, but I don't share the same taste, as far the 20th century goes. Tavener, Glass, late Gorecki (I enjoy his earlier works) aren't my cup of tea - especially Koyaanis bleeding qatsi. One of the most cringe-inducing pieces of tripe out there.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 11:59 am

I love KOYAANISQATSI. (But I don't see what it has to do with Malick.)
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music EmptyWed Sep 07, 2011 12:18 pm

No you're right, though some of the imagery in TREE OF LIFE reminded me of KOYAANISQATSI. I guess that's why I made the connection. Thinking about it, I'm surprised Malick hasn't used more Glass and Adams in his films.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Filmmakers Recycling Music   Filmmakers Recycling Music Empty

Back to top Go down

Filmmakers Recycling Music
Page 1 of 1