More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Hooray for Hollywood

Go down 
+9
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
colly
Largo's Shark
MBalje
FourDot
Harmsway
HJackson
Makeshift Python
The White Tuxedo
13 posters
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Hooray for Hollywood Empty
PostSubject: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 7:09 am

Which ones would you recommend? Of course there's SUNSET BOULEVARD. SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS. I think ED WOOD is excellent, and I even think BODY DOUBLE is an offbeat entry. One that I want to see is THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 7:28 am

My favorite sub-genre. I've only seen Sunset Blvd. once many years ago but boy did that leave an impression, I especially liked the cameos made by several of the silent era filmmakers. I really need to see that again, it's been way too long. I think Ed Wood is Tim Burton's best, "let's shoot this fucker!" Another one by Burton I always enjoy is Pee-Wee's Great Adventure, yeah it's only during the third act, still it's a lot of fun. Mulholland Dr., Get Shorty.

I remember one flick that really disappointed me was Tropic Thunder. I thought I would love it just from the stuff I heard. It bored me to tears, what a disappointment cause I not only enjoy movies about movies but I also enjoy some that satirize Hollywood. Still, it had its moments.

Hits the nail on the head on Oscar bait inspirational retard movies.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:54 am

Barton Fink.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 9:57 am

Yeah, I love these kind of movies too. THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL is excellent, Tux. I'd wanted to see it for ages ever since, like so many films, I saw it in Scorsese's A PERSONAL JOURNEY... and it didn't disappoint. I still wanna see TWO WEEKS IN ANOTHER TOWN.

8½ and CONTEMPT are the great ones I've seen that aren't about Hollywood, but are about filmmaking. Antonioni's THE LADY WITHOUT CAMELIAS is a more conventional drama than either of those, and more to do with the consequences of fame than filmmaking, but I dig it. I like Visconti's BELLISSIMA too (man, the Italians loved movies-about-movies almost as much as Hollywood, now that I think about it).
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 11:38 am

IN A LONELY PLACE.
Back to top Go down
FourDot
'R'
'R'
FourDot

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 11:53 am

I really want to see The Stunt Man.

The Bad and the Beautiful is fantastic. One of Minnelli's better efforts.

Scorsese's upcoming Hugo fits into the "films about films" category, although not Hollywood specifically. I was a big fan of The Aviator, but I'm well aware that it's not even remotely everyone's cup of tea.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:09 pm

TWO WEEKS IN ANOTHER TOWN is also a great flick.

Edit: Sorry HJackson beat me to it. It's a kind of TBATB revisited.
Back to top Go down
MBalje
Q Branch
Q Branch
MBalje

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 12:49 pm

Favorite: The Truman Show, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Tropic Thunder.

Are Mrs Doubtfire count ?

S1m0ne isn't very good, but i don't think it be so bad as some others think.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyFri Nov 11, 2011 1:36 pm

SUNSET BOULEVARD, THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL, CHINATOWN, THE STUNT MAN, BARTON FINK, ED WOOD, MULHOLLAND DRIVE, and THE BLACK DAHLIA.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 11:21 am

Even though their not my favourites of the genre, cant be forgetting both A STAR IS BORN and SINGIN' IN THE RAIN...
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyMon Nov 21, 2011 1:48 pm

I forgot THE DAY OF THE LOCUST and SINGING IN THE RAIN.

Wish more musicals took a page from the later instead of Bob Fosse.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 8:27 am

Not a film, but I recently saw an hour long episode of THE COMIC STRIP PRESENTS... about an American production company filming/mangling an ex-miner's sympathetic, highly political screenplay about Arthur Scargill (to be played by Al Pacino!) and the miners' strike.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 9:48 am

The Black Dahlia, Sharky? Really? That was a convoluted mess that looked great, but the subplots went nowhere...

I'm going to say Nine. Not Hollywood, but filmic, and I think it's great! It's not flawless, but it's stylistic and a great musical interpretation of 8 1/2.

I really hope nobody says Hollywoodland.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 3:21 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
The Black Dahlia, Sharky? Really? That was a convoluted mess that looked great, but the subplots went nowhere...

It's flawed, but I defiantly wouldn't call it a "mess." Give it another watch.
Back to top Go down
Louis Armstrong
Q Branch
Q Branch
Louis Armstrong

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 5:34 pm

FieldsMan wrote:
I'm going to say Nine. Not Hollywood, but filmic, and I think it's great! It's not flawless, but it's stylistic and a great musical interpretation of 8 1/2.
:x
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Yeah. Holding televisual tripe like NINE up as "filmic" and bashing BLACK DAHLIA. Hand me a rifle.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 10:13 pm

This film wasn't about Hollywood per se, but it was about a soap opera based in New York. The movie was SOAPDISH (1991) and it nailed everything about the format.

Hooray for Hollywood 259001_det

An unusually restrained Whoopi Goldberg got some of the best lines: "Actors don't like to play coma. They feel it limits their range."

"The guy was killed in an auto accident! I looked it up! He was driving in the Yukon, in a pink convertible, to visit his brother who's an ex-con named Frances, when a tractor trailer comes along and decapitates him. You know what that mean, it means he doesn't have a head. How am I suppose to write for a guy who doesn't have a head? He's got no lips, no vocal cords. What do you want me to do? "

Sally Field (Celeste Talbert) "Next time, could you wear a swimsuit underneath the towel? It's a little early in the day for me."
Paul Johannson (Blair Brennan): I can't act in a swimsuit

Another great film, again not specifically about Hollywood, but about the acting profession in general and men's attitudes towards women was TOOTSIE.

Hooray for Hollywood 220px-Tootsie_imp

Michael Dorsey: Are you saying that nobody in New York will work with me?
George Fields: No, no, that's too limited... nobody in Hollywood wants to work with you either. I can't even set you up for a commercial. You played a *tomato* for 30 seconds - they went a half a day over schedule because you wouldn't sit down.
Michael Dorsey: Of course. It was illogical.
George Fields: YOU WERE A TOMATO. A tomato doesn't have logic. A tomato can't move.
Michael Dorsey: That's what I said. So if he can't move, how's he gonna sit down, George? I was a stand-up tomato: a juicy, sexy, beefsteak tomato. Nobody does vegetables like me. I did an evening of vegetables off-Broadway. I did the best tomato, the best cucumber... I did an endive salad that knocked the critics on their ass.

Rita (to cameraman): I'd like to make her look a little more attractive, how far can you pull back?
Cameraman: How do you feel about Cleveland?

Dorothy Michaels: You know, Dr. Brewster has tried to seduce several nurses on this ward, always claiming to be in the throes of an uncontrollable impulse. Do you know what? I think I'm gonna give every nurse on this floor an electric cattle prod, and just instruct them to just *zap* him in his badoobies. Ruby? Hi, you wanna open the Yellow Pages under the section, Farm Equipment Retail...
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptySun Mar 18, 2012 11:10 pm

Tootsie wasn't too bad, admittedly I was watching for Bill Murray.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 12:23 am

I'll be very interested in seeing how this ALFRED HITCHCOCK & THE MAKING OF PSYCHO with Hopkins and Scarlett turns out.

RKO 281 was pretty okay, though I don't think it got as much juice out of the truth as it could have (that's John Logan for you!) The fact they had to include the apocryphal stuff of Welles running into Hearst in a lift also weakened it some.

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 4:00 am

Hilly wrote:

I actually watched that the first time during a Bill Murray run, even though he isn't in it that much it's overall a fun 80s comedy.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 5:22 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Hilly wrote:

I actually watched that the first time during a Bill Murray run, even though he isn't in it that much it's overall a fun 80s comedy.

Dabney Coleman FTW: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWRrSufx5kw#t=1m58s

Anyone seen BUFFALO BILL?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hooray for Hollywood   Hooray for Hollywood Empty

Back to top Go down

Hooray for Hollywood
Page 1 of 1