More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+37
bitchcraft
Mr. Trevelyan
MBalje
FG Wells
Prince Kamal Khan
bondfan06
Jack Wade
Vesper
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Fae
Santa
Salomé
saint mark
Hilly
Ravenstone
Drax
Manhunter
Tubes
Gravity's Silhouette
G section
FourDot
lachesis
Control
Largo's Shark
HJackson
tiffanywint
Louis Armstrong
The White Tuxedo
Blunt Instrument
j7wild
colly
Makeshift Python
Fairbairn-Sykes
GeneralGogol
Harmsway
Loomis
Seve
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 9:26 am

Die Wannseekonferenz (TV 1984)

5/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0088377/

what gives 12 men the right to decide the fate of 11 million Jews in Europe and Russia and the fate of millions of non-Jews Poles, the gypsies, the homosexuals, the handicapped and mentally challenged?

I know at Nuremberg Trial, they used the defense that they were following orders but still, as Men and as a Human Being, you have the conscience to know what's right and what's wrong!!
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 11:03 am

Sharky mentioned feeling tired at 2:00 am, but continued to 'argue the point' (changing no-one's opinion in the process) for another hour.

He's either a legend or a lunatic, I'm not quite sure.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 11:30 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Sharky mentioned feeling tired at 2:00 am, but continued to 'argue the point' (changing no-one's opinion in the process) for another hour.

He's either a legend or a lunatic, I'm not quite sure.

I won't even bother to go back and read the last 2 pages.

What's the argument about?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 12:36 pm

The merits (or otherwise) of the 4 Indiana Jones films, which segues into a discussion about on what criteria a film's 'greatness' (or otherwise) can/should be judged.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 1:25 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Too late to edit, but LAST CRUSADE also marks the point of Indy taking itself seriously. In my opinion. Just a little bit. Trying to go for something more than a colorful action serial.

Indeed. And, surprisingly, it almost works in that regard. Or at least doesn't fall quite as flat as some of the Bond series' attempts at being "serious".
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Jurrassic Park on Blu Ray

I've always enjoyed this romp and Blu ray really does make it seem new all over again, the picture and sound are astonishingly good. Even after this passage of time some of the effects are still breathtaking but I think they work so much better because the human performances are never overshadowed, Spielberg is on great form milking maximum tension from every scene and despite some evident logic gaffs you can't help but get swept along. The only criticism I can offer is to the continuity department which seems to have been on vacation. 8/10
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:07 pm

Harmsway wrote:
But there's a veritable sea of films that explore the "overreaching man" from more interesting points of view than JURASSIC PARK.

Definitely not within the action genre at least. And while JURASSIC PARK doesn't handle of idea of Promethean curse from a particularly novel angle, it does convey it with a sense of awe, childlike wonder and dread, that renders it one of most powerful modern day retellings of the myth.

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Too late to edit, but LAST CRUSADE also marks the point of Indy taking itself seriously. In my opinion. Just a little bit. Trying to go for something more than a colorful action serial.

God forbid a sequel should try to transcend the confines of its predecessors (FRENCH CONNECTION 2, I'm looking at you).

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
The very fact that we disagree with him belies the idea that there is singular defining element one uses to judge what a good film is ...

We all have our subjective ideals. However, in order to provide a victor, they must battle out in arenas such as this, and only the most informed, reasoned, compelling and internally coherent POV will win. That is why I do this - to try and sustain a dialectic.

I'm not sure I even agree with some of my opinions at times. They might be coming from my rum, whisky and cider, and not me. I'm not sure I'd even call it playing Devil's Advocate, since these strange notions come out of the blue. But hell, anything to keep this forum alive and well.
Back to top Go down
Santa
Q Branch
Q Branch
Santa

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 3:18 pm

I rarely agree with you, Sharky, but you are very sexyful.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:14 pm

Sharky wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

God forbid a sequel should try to transcend the confines of its predecessors (FRENCH CONNECTION 2, I'm looking at you).

I don't think RAIDERS was particularly confined. It's a colorful action serial that was done well. Does it need to address social problems too? laugh The movie was well-crafted. It does it's job. How much more do you want?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:35 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
How much more do you want?

Something less juvenile, with a bit more heart? That's why CRUSADE floats my boat.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 4:43 pm

Have you guys ever read earlier drafts of RAIDERS? I bought one a long time ago (don't know what happened to it), I think a second or third revised draft, and I was flabbergasted at how different and disappointing it was.

All the same action pieces, plus two more giant ones (both used in TEMPLE OF DOOM, the chinese gong thing at beginning of ToD and the mine car chase), so it was like a proto-Michael Bay movie, with next to zero character content.

And there was nothing like the 'Indy can't bring himself to blow up the ark' moment, not even anything hinting at it.

Thing probably had less dialog than 2001 ... pages and pages describing action, sometimes very well, but in service of what? If it was homage to old serials, it was too much, in all sorts of ways.

It kind of made me wonder briefly if somebody else punched up Kasdan's final, though I've never seen any indications that other writers were involved.

I can watch ToD and CRUSADE, and enjoy bits, but RAIDERS is the only one that really grabbed me, and I think it was the combination of the 'can't top this' truck chase and the 'can't blow up the ark' moment, which I think David Gerrold in his old STARLOG column went into in detail as what elevated RAIDERS above a lot of other action flicks, that made it so.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:16 pm

Trev did you ever read the transcript for the Indy story meetings that Lucas/Spielberg/Kasdan had? They essentially came up with every action setpiece of the entire trilogy in those initial meetings. And Lucas' comments are hilarious throughout, as he insists that it's made clear that Marion was way underage when Indy initially romanced her.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Lawrence of Arabia

the second viewing and the thoughts and feelings of the first. Understatement to say, at over four hours, that this film is epic. Epic in scope, stunning scenery and filmography (something tells me...we'll say camerawork Smithers), even on my puny TV screen the desert feels large and unfathomable. Feel the heat roll off it, sucking the life force from Lawrence. More so than before I appreciate O'Toole in the role, for one he actually bears some semblance to Lawrence and another capturing power, weakness and all the rest. A chief scene is when he comes into the Officer's Club in Cairo with his young friend and demands 'Two large glasses...of lemonade...", the look on his face when Jack Gwillim's club secretary demands he leaves. The hidden torture. Though a small chuckle when after his friend downs the lemonade Lawrence remarks to the bartender, "He likes your lemonade!"
Jack Hawkins in usual form as Allenby (dubbed by Charles Gray for the restoration as he was in his later years), Anthony Quayle likewise in usual form and Omar Sharif...oh let's not forget Anthony Quinn.
Maurice Jarre's score triumphant, resonant. A favourite use remains as Lawrence marches in victory down the roof of the train.

I'm sure I'm misquoting when I recall what Noel Coward said to O'Toole that "Darling, you've become an advert for Persil" or maybe: "If you had been any prettier, the film would have been called Florence of Arabia

Assuredly Lean's finest work I think. If I may humbly suggest so.

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 Lawrence_of_arabia_2
"Lemonade, with plenty of ice."
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:30 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
Marion's Theme is the best part of the series.

Nah, it's all about the Ark of the Covenant's theme.

The Holy Grail theme in CRUSADE's pretty stunning too.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JT8o5hw2Po#t=1m54s
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:39 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Trev did you ever read the transcript for the Indy story meetings that Lucas/Spielberg/Kasdan had? They essentially came up with every action setpiece of the entire trilogy in those initial meetings. And Lucas' comments are hilarious throughout, as he insists that it's made clear that Marion was way underage when Indy initially romanced her.

He probably pinched that from Connery romancing Brooke Adams in flashback from CUBA .. dont' know if it was in the film, but in the novelization she is supposed to be 15 in the initial romance that they recall.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 7:50 pm

Yeah the idea is that Marion was like 14 when Indy was romancing her while he was in college.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 8:26 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Yeah the idea is that Marion was like 14 when Indy was romancing her while he was in college.

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 Star-wars-speeches-han-solo-20060718075717252-000
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:26 pm

She knew what she was doing ^^
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2012 10:42 pm

Somehow the FIRST CONTACT folks decided Everton's take on the Borg was better than Ricardo Delgado's.
I can tell you, Delgado, who was a principal designer on DS9 at first, had some kickass Borg designs.

EDIT ADDON: sorry this was in reply to something on page 1 of the thread, don't know quite how I screwed this one up.

Last edited by trevanian on Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:57 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : lack of sleep, injured knee, inclement weather ...)
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 12:06 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

I went to see this last year, which was based on the transcripts of those meetings -

http://www.culturenorthernireland.org/article/3984/raiders%20of%20the%20lost/0/0/1/theatre-review-raiders-of-the-lost-story-arc

T'was an absolute hoot.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 1:39 am

High Plains Drifter (1973)

Thought I was gonna like it more than I did. :|
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 5:52 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

Now that just reminds me of her worst acting performance in the flick.

"I WAS A CHILD, I WAS IN LOOOVE!

laugh

Ya know, for a supposedly woman with spunk she sure bitched and screamed a lot, though Willie Scott makes it look otherwise.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 6:28 am

Yeah, but she was insanely hot.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 7:34 pm

The Eiger Sanction (1975)

laugh

That's my main thought on the flick: laugh

I know it's not really that great a movie, but it's enjoyable in the same way an AIRPORT movie or other 70's disaster movie would be. It must be the addition of George Kennedy, patron saint of 70's cinematic cheese. Clint partly carries this thing by his sheer presense, and you've got a couple of 70's exploitation movie chicks in there. And Jack Cassidy, with his dog named "Faggot". laugh Wanna know more about Jack? http://www.findadeath.com/Deceased/c/Jack%20Cassidy/jack_cassidy.htm

What an oddball movie.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 7:52 pm

That was the first Eastwood I ever saw, back when pay cable had the G channel, for recent (2 year old!) movies. I know Rod Whitaker (aka Trevanian) was appalled by the finished film and the fact climbers died making it, and I wonder if perhaps he refused to let Eastwood & co take an option on the sequel book.

I think it is Eastwood at his movie-coolest, probably because a lot of great lines from the novel are retained and he hits them just right.

The Trevanian books have got so many good lines in them that somebody should do a little book of all the aphorisms and insults. From THE LOO SANCTION (Trevanian's British Intelligence is actually named for a toilet):

tough bad guy: I hope I'm not going to have any trouble with you, mate.
Hemlock: Hope's cheap, anus - indulge yourself.

I can never read that without hearing just how Eastwood would have hit 'indulge" while knotting his features forcefully.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 28 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 28 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 34 ... 40  Next