More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+37
bitchcraft
Mr. Trevelyan
MBalje
FG Wells
Prince Kamal Khan
bondfan06
Jack Wade
Vesper
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Fae
Santa
Salomé
saint mark
Hilly
Ravenstone
Drax
Manhunter
Tubes
Gravity's Silhouette
G section
FourDot
lachesis
Control
Largo's Shark
HJackson
tiffanywint
Louis Armstrong
The White Tuxedo
Blunt Instrument
j7wild
colly
Makeshift Python
Fairbairn-Sykes
GeneralGogol
Harmsway
Loomis
Seve
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 7:56 pm

All I'll say is that you can't beat George Kennedy. Ever.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySat Jan 14, 2012 10:26 pm

Hostel 3.

Had a few worthy moments...but didn't have the wince and look-away factor that was evident in the first one.

Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 1:09 am

All About Eve (1950)

Here's a film I thought I'd love, but it didn't really grab me. I admire it. It's got some standouts in the cast. Maybe it's too "talky" for me. I know that talk is by Joe Mankiewicz, but the movie didn't grab me.

Maybe another viewing someday will do it for me.

Best Picture count is now at 57/83.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 2:27 am

KILL LIST. Outstanding British indie horror thriller that combines Mike Leigh-style kitchen sink drama (as with much of Leigh's work, a lot of the dialogue is ad-libbed) with THE WICKER MAN and Tarantino circa RESERVOIR DOGS, with nods to the likes of Kubrick (THE SHINING and EYES WIDE SHUT), Jonathan Glazer (SEXY BEAST), Polanski (THE TENANT) and Nicolas Roeg in general.

Which sounds like a very messy mixture indeed, but director and co-writer Ben Wheatley (who couldn't really have a more appropriate surname - dunno whether he's any relation, though) takes these (truth be told rather shopworn) influences and spins them into something highly fresh and original, not to mention exceptionally gripping and harrowing (oh, and stylish, too - given its subject matter, not to mention its reported budget of £500,000, KILL LIST looks suitably scuzzy, but scuzzy in a slick and sophisticated way that announces a new director who really knows what he's doing).

Running short of the funds required to support his wife and child in the lower-middle-class life to which they aspire, a traumatised and volatile ex-army thug adapting badly to civvy street (Neil Maskell in a superb performance - the actor, by the way, looks rather like the love child of Ricky Gervais and Ray Winstone, and indeed his character carries echoes of both Gervais in THE OFFICE [an episode involving a declined credit card at a hotel reception desk is pure David Brent] and Winstone in NIL BY MOUTH) teams up with his best mate from the forces to accept a contract from a shadowy client. The mission: to assassinate various people on a "kill list". Things get bloody - very bloody. And weird - very weird. Very weird indeed.

Now, KILL LIST is certainly not for all tastes. It's almost unwatchably intense and brutal in places, and its ultimate revelations make for an ending that's as divisive as they come (not sure what I think about it myself yet, to be honest, but I was definitely knocked out by it). And the film does ultimately fall short of true masterpiece status - it's a little too rough around the edges for that, with several key scenes drenched in too much cliché to be truly extraoardinary (these scenes still work, mind you, but they don't quite knock you on your ass the way similar scenes in genuinely great films do).

Still, this is well-written, well-acted, complex and absorbing stuff, compelling and chilling, and certainly a flick that does what it says on the tin. It showcases Wheatley and Maskell as names to watch in the same way that TRAINSPOTTING announced the arrival of Danny Boyle and Robert Carlyle.

ETA: With regard to What It All Means, the following article is as good and as clear an explanation of the plot as any I've encountered - I'll go with what this guy's saying (but, obviously, don't read it unless you've already seen the film): http://www.holymoly.com/film-dvd/blog/kill-list-what%E2%80%99s-it-all-about-then61097

Last edited by Loomis on Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:51 am

Cavalcade (1933)

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 Bored-baby

Maybe it worked in 1933. Evidently it did. Basically it's a bunch of English people thinking the 20th century is tough going. In 1933. Yeah.

Best Picture count: 58/83
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:03 am

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (2011)

100x better than Fincher's last flick. I enjoyed every bit of it, except for some of Craig's mumbling (which is really becoming a problem) in the beginning of the film. I don't know who Rooney Mara is, or what she's done other than that small role in FASEBUK: MOVIE, but she did an outstanding job in this film. I'm looking forward to seeing the character again in a sequel--and hope Fincher directs. The cinematography is fresh, and the story moves at a steady pace. I liked how the plot overlaps mystery, thriller, suspense, and drama, for the most part. That added variety to the film and its progression. I also realized that Fincher's great at creating apprehension and unease, and in a very simple manner (i.e. Blomkvist's exploration of Martin's house at the end). His stand-out piece of camerawork in this film was when the camera moved over Salander and then tilted down, revealing an upside down shot of her face (happened after the rape, IIRC).

I think this could have gone wrong in many areas, but Fincher and his team did all of the right things. Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross also provided a stylish, atmospheric score that didn't get in the way of the events on the screen and didn't imply or force feelings on the viewers, as so many amateur film scores do today.

This is what I want a Fincher film to be like. Not a cash-in, made-for-TV-esque piece of trash that features whiny, prepubescent actors. Save that shit for Brett Ratner and Judd Apatow.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:09 am

Mr. Brown wrote:
Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross also provided a stylish, atmospheric score that didn't get in the way of the events on the screen and didn't imply or force feelings on the viewers, as so many amateur film scores do today.

Then it must have got in the way. Not shoving emotions down one's throat is one thing, but by not even implying anything is where film music ceases to have any function, and it just becomes an obstruction, or plain white noise.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:16 am

I didn't think it was an obstruction. It worked with the scenes, added to the film's atmosphere, but I wouldn't say it did any more than that.

I liked it.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:33 am

Actually, Sharky, in terms of a film score, this completely fails because it is missing the emotional aspect. I see where you're coming from with your argument, as well.

In terms of being background noise in the film, it sounds good and works with the scenes it's placed with.

Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:27 am

Watching a thing on Lee Marvin. In five parts here:

https://www.youtube.com/user/smilerbwfc/videos
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:29 am

Go-ji-jeon aka The Front Line (2011)

4.5/5

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2007387/

The best Korean War film out of South Korea since South Korea's 2004 Tae Guk Gi: The Brotherhood of War

This movie is South Korea's submission to the 2012 Academy Awards for Best Foreign Film

There hasn't been too many movies made about the Korean War and some of them are not very good; I highly recommend this one!!
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 2:27 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:

100x better than Fincher's last flick.
As far as I'm concerned, THE SOCIAL NETWORK is a more thought-provoking, more engaging bit of work. THE GIRL WITH A DRAGON TATTOO is a bunch of sterile unpleasantness in the service of nothing. I suppose it has a nice title sequence.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 3:09 pm

Tried to watch The Abyss last night. Bloody hell, but it was bad! Shut it off halfway through. Only other time I've done that with a flick was The Big Labowsky. Can't believe I actually liked The Abyss the other time I saw it, which would have been in '90.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:34 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Mr. Brown wrote:

100x better than Fincher's last flick.
As far as I'm concerned, THE SOCIAL NETWORK is a more thought-provoking, more engaging bit of work. THE GIRL WITH A DRAGON TATTOO is a bunch of sterile unpleasantness in the service of nothing. I suppose it has a nice title sequence.

Eh, I disagree... but that's not uncommon. laugh

Sorkin's screenplay was the only "thought-provoking" aspect of that film, in my opinion. But, visually, it's about as engaging as a CBS sitcom, and the performances were mainly unacceptable (especially Andrew Garfield's).

I thought DRAGON TATTOO, overall, had a lot more to offer, and worked well as a modern mystery/thriller.

Regarding the title sequence, here's an interesting article about where the concept came from: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/01/10/idUS5033736220120110
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 4:36 pm

This 2011 Ben Hur TV-Movie-Epic nonsense. Felt like 3hrs and 40 of relentless tedium. Just lacked substance. Acting sometimes laughable, that kind of Hayden Christiansen trying too hard-sneer of an expression most of the time from the lead two, awkward computer game CGI, jerky slow motion shots (chiefly during the chariot scene) and so on.

Honourable mention, Art Malik doing his Arab schtick. Half expected him to say his chariot racing was "a hangover from my Oxford days". Cor, if only.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 5:08 pm

Mr. Brown wrote:
But, visually, it's about as engaging as a CBS sitcom
Ah, quite a bit of hyperbole there, Brownster. It's not a visually-driven film (not to the same extent as Fincher's other work), but it's nevertheless pretty well shot in terms of lighting and composition. Much, much better shot than anything currently on television. If FIncher were an interesting director, formally speaking, I might be bothered that he gave us something more text-driven, but he's not, and so I'm fine with his own flourishes playing second fiddle to a pretty decent screenplay (though his music video-ish stylings do come out for the "Hall of the Mountain King" sequence).

Mr. Brown wrote:
and the performances were mainly unacceptable (especially Andrew Garfield's).
I found them all quite believable for young college-age folk, which is just late adolescence, when you get down to it. Eisenberg was certainly the standout, though.

Mr. Brown wrote:
I thought DRAGON TATTOO, overall, had a lot more to offer, and worked well as a modern mystery/thriller.
What ideas do you find running through DRAGON TATTOO?
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 5:24 pm

Harmsway wrote:
THE GIRL WITH A DRAGON TATTOO is a bunch of sterile unpleasantness in the service of nothing.

I'll check it out, but only when it hits Blu-ray. To my mind, Fincher has yet to make a flat-out bad film (even ALIEN 3 kinda sorta has its moments, or at least the workprint version does).
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:05 pm

Dragon Tattoo is on course to just squeak by 100m in the USA Box Office...

If it didn't do as well, the sequels might be in jeopardy.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 6:49 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Mr. Brown wrote:
What ideas do you find running through DRAGON TATTOO?

Themes of betrayal run through out the entire film, which I enjoyed.

Salander and her life seemed to comment on corruption/failure within state-sponsored "protection"/welfare programs. Her retaliation against the social worker suggested treatment of rapists and sex offenders, too.

The investigation, itself, was engaging--I felt as if I was uncovering details as Blumkvist and Salander were. Eventually, that lead to quite a twist.

Blumkvist was interesting, as well, and his relationship with Salander seemed to be a comment on journalism and journalists. Once a "hot topic" or investigation is over, and when the problem's solved, the media/journalists simply move on to the next thing. We saw him developing a close relationship with Salander, and after Wennerstrom died, Blumkvist was back with Berger--almost completely ignoring the relationship he had developed with Salander. I think it parallels the media and journalists, suggesting they only have a shallow relationship with the subjects and topics that they cover. (Look at the Gulf oil spill, or the disaster in Haiti, for example. While these events had nothing to do with the film, I think they relate to this theme. The media's pawns were covering these events religiously for a few weeks, and when the next "big thing" came about in the news, these events were completely ignored and passed by.)

There might have been some subtle commentary on religion tied to Gottfried Vanger's serial killings, too. I'm not entirely sure, though, but it made me think about it, regardless.

I think there was plenty to think about, with themes and commentary, and technical aspects. Technically, I thought this was outstanding, as well. I loved it. It was an exciting and intense theater experience. We'll see how I think of it when it's on Blu-Ray.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:03 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Tried to watch The Abyss last night. Bloody hell, but it was bad! Shut it off halfway through. Only other time I've done that with a flick was The Big Labowsky.

You hated THE BIG LEBOWSKI? :silent:

I recommend another watch.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:09 pm

I could see how LEBOWSKI wouldn't be Dr. Khan's cup of tea.

"Fuck it, dude. Let's go bowling."
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 9:13 pm

I dunno. Despite the swearing and all, it addresses many things that Khan agrees on. The liberal elite, American-ness, pretentious postmodernists, hip nihilists, and with two salt of the earth, everyman, middle aged baby boomers as the heroes of the piece.

It's still relevant as ever.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptySun Jan 15, 2012 10:42 pm

Johnson?

The Great Ziegfeld (1936)

What started out as somewhat entertaining by virtue of William Powell's presense became absolute ****ing torture. THREE GOD DAMN HOURS!? It just wouldn't end. Even Myrna Loy couldn't get me excited when she entered the picture.

Needless to say it won Best Picture.

My count is 59/83.

Powell's MY MAN GODFREY from the same year wasn't even nominated. I wish we had a William Powell type now.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 2:18 am

THE DRIVER. I missed out on last year's highly acclaimed DRIVE and while waiting for its Blu-ray release at the end of this month I thought I'd revisit what I presume was one of Nicolas Winding Refn's biggest influences, namely this lean, mean and decidedly minimalist 1978 cops and robbers thriller from Walter Hill.

Hill's flick is showing its age. Dreadful dialogue and a mercilessly wooden lead performance by Ryan O'Neal do it no favours, and the narrative is choppy, suggesting extensive and ill-judged pre-release re-editing. It isn't the consistently atmospheric and involving cult gem of a B-movie I'd hoped for - instead, it's an intermittently interesting potboiler that only really works in fits and starts. It has its share of problems, but its one big glaring fatal flaw is that it's utterly impossible to give two hoots about any of the characters. And I mean at all.

That said, a couple of well-staged, Frankenheimerish car chases (vastly more thrilling than anything in the FAST AND THE FURIOUS flicks) and a wonderfully Hitchcockian sequence involving a rendezvous at a station and a pursuit on a train make THE DRIVER just about worth a spin. I hope that DRIVE is rather more interesting, though.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 2:37 am

It's not, at all. More slick perhaps.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 29 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 29 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 28, 29, 30 ... 34 ... 40  Next