More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+37
bitchcraft
Mr. Trevelyan
MBalje
FG Wells
Prince Kamal Khan
bondfan06
Jack Wade
Vesper
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Fae
Santa
Salomé
saint mark
Hilly
Ravenstone
Drax
Manhunter
Tubes
Gravity's Silhouette
G section
FourDot
lachesis
Control
Largo's Shark
HJackson
tiffanywint
Louis Armstrong
The White Tuxedo
Blunt Instrument
j7wild
colly
Makeshift Python
Fairbairn-Sykes
GeneralGogol
Harmsway
Loomis
Seve
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 2:39 am

One has Bruce Dern. The other... does not.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 2:40 am

Yeah, Ryan bleeding Gosling. Not enough Albert Brooks.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 2:55 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
One has Bruce Dern. The other... does not.

Sure, but Dern is pretty much wasted in THE DRIVER.

In THE DRIVER's defence, though, I imagine it works much better on a considerably bigger screen than the one I saw it on. I imagine it would be quite exciting (in places, anyway) at the cinema.

Oh, and I like Michael Small's score, which has glimmers of Miles Davis circa IN A SILENT WAY and BITCHES BREW.

If only the film had starred Steve McQueen (for whom I gather it was written) or Sylvester Stallone (who was "in talks" for it, according to the IMDb). O'Neal just doesn't cut it.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:06 am

Loomis wrote:
If only the film had starred Steve McQueen (for whom I gather it was written) or Sylvester Stallone (who was "in talks" for it, according to the IMDb).

God no. Might as well cast a sack of potatoes.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:11 am

Ha!
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:12 am

Join the chatbox Syko.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:12 am

Sharky wrote:

Not in 1978. Stallone was really good in his younger days, or at least could be really good - see ROCKY, FIRST BLOOD or the underrated (indeed nowadays practically forgotten) NIGHTHAWKS. I truly believe he could have been excellent in THE DRIVER, especially as the role has very little dialogue.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:17 am

Loomis wrote:
Sharky wrote:

Not in 1978. Stallone was really good in his younger days, or at least could be really good - see ROCKY, FIRST BLOOD or the underrated (indeed nowadays practically forgotten) NIGHTHAWKS.

Haven't seen NIGHTHAWKS, but out of the other two, I was only impressed by the final confession scene in FIRST BLOOD. Everything before it and in ROCKY, is just a one note pouting, and self pity. No charisma or anything.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 4:33 am

Sharky wrote:
Yeah, Ryan bleeding Gosling. Not enough Albert Brooks.
For my money, I loved Drive. When you thought it was starting to take itself too seriously, people's brains started getting blown out. Great score, too.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 6:44 am

Sharky wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Tried to watch The Abyss last night. Bloody hell, but it was bad! Shut it off halfway through. Only other time I've done that with a flick was The Big Labowsky.

You hated THE BIG LEBOWSKI? :silent:

I recommend another watch.
I wasn't into it on first viewing. Second viewing I loved it.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 6:44 am

I can practically recite the whole damn movie.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:33 am

War Horse - sweeping, epic, moving and uplifting cinema. Those who find Spielberg's work overly sentimental won't find anything to convince them otherwise here, but I for one was more than happy to get caught up and swept along by it :) .
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 12:50 pm

The Cat and the Canary (1939)

A film filled with cliches even in its day but what a tremedous package this one is, Bob Hope and the delicious Paulette Goddard are tremendous, both with comedy and drama working to perfection. The support cast is also pitch perfect with the ever sinister George Zucco, Gale Sondergard on hand to boost the chrills and the comicly sublime pairing of Elizabeth Patterson and Nydia Westman on hand for additional humour. Great soundtrack too. It's a shame the dvd print is so rough, here's a film fully worthy of the full monty restoration but there seems no such attempt being made. 9/10
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:37 pm

Sharky wrote:
I dunno. Despite the swearing and all, it addresses many things that Khan agrees on. The liberal elite, American-ness, pretentious postmodernists, hip nihilists, and with two salt of the earth, everyman, middle aged baby boomers as the heroes of the piece.

It's still relevant as ever.

It sends up everything in its path, I suppose. But I find it hamfisted, unamusing, and profoundly vulgar. That said, I revere the Coen brothers in extremis. TBL was simply not one of their finest hours, IMO.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 3:40 pm

Watched Amadeus last night. Brilliant as ever. A fitting tribute to the composer. And I loved Elizabeth Berridge.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 7:13 pm

I tried watching THE LAST DAYS OF DISCO. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. I couldn't watch those vapid people any longer and shut it off.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 9:16 pm

Finally got around to seeing...

Toy Story 3 (2010)

Brilliant. It may be just a hair beneath the first two, but it's a satisfying conclusion to the Buzz Lightyear legend.

Great new characters too. The level of imagination on these movies is astonishing even to me, and I'm an imaginative guy.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:11 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Sharky wrote:
I dunno. Despite the swearing and all, it addresses many things that Khan agrees on. The liberal elite, American-ness, pretentious postmodernists, hip nihilists, and with two salt of the earth, everyman, middle aged baby boomers as the heroes of the piece.

It sends up everything in its path, I suppose. But I find it hamfisted, unamusing, and profoundly vulgar.

It's about as hamfisted as AIRPLANE!. Simply put, the mock earnestness is pure satire. About the vulgarity - it ain't exactly tasteful, but it's never in bad spirit, dumb or needlessly cruel as one finds with many modern comedies (i.e. THE HANGOVER). I never feel it's gone over the line (Smokey!), or feel guilty for enjoying it.

Like Python, I hated it at first too, but I gradually saw its humour and guile in repeat viewings.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:45 pm

THE BIG LEBOWSKI is by far the best thing the Coens have ever done.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 10:46 pm

It's either LEBOWSKI or A SERIOUS MAN for me.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2012 11:04 pm

Either BLOOD SIMPLE or MILLER'S CROSSING for me. But LEBOWSKI is easily my favorite comedy of theirs (and probably that genre).
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 12:01 am

Sharky wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Sharky wrote:

It sends up everything in its path, I suppose. But I find it hamfisted, unamusing, and profoundly vulgar.

It's about as hamfisted as AIRPLANE!. Simply put, the mock earnestness is pure satire. About the vulgarity - it ain't exactly tasteful, but it's never in bad spirit, dumb or needlessly cruel as one finds with many modern comedies (i.e. THE HANGOVER). I never feel it's gone over the line (Smokey!), or feel guilty for enjoying it.

Like Python, I hated it at first too, but I gradually saw its humour and guile in repeat viewings.

The diff between Airplane's hamfistedness and TBL's is that the former is actually funny. TBL is simply a relentless stream of vulgarities patching together episodic character sketches of bizarre figures. I can't imagine subjecting myself to a second helping anymore than a third of DAD.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 12:14 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
The diff between Airplane's hamfistedness and TBL's is that the former is actually funny.

They're both very funny, but are extremely different in the nature of their humour.

Perilagu Khan wrote:
TBL is simply a relentless stream of vulgarities patching together episodic character sketches of bizarre figures.

The vulgarities aren't there patch over anything, or simply thrown for the sake of it. It's there to embellish the characters, and The Dude and Walter's reactions to the Chandler-esque journey they find themselves in.

Looks like I might need Harms as my wingman here.

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 12:26 am

Speaking of vulgarities.

Bad Santa (2003)

Not sure what to say beyond that Billy Bob Thonrton made the flick. laugh
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 EmptyTue Jan 17, 2012 1:06 am

I like BLOOD SIMPLE and FARGO.

Precious: Based on the Novel "Push" by Sapphire (2009)

I thought the cast was outstanding. I didn't recognize that that was Mariah Carey for a while. The film itself wasn't as interesting to me.

Paula Patton continues to be a sexy lady.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next