More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy

Go down 
+37
00Beast
Jack Wade
bitchcraft
lachesis
Louis Armstrong
Santa
saint mark
j7wild
RobDudley
Gravity's Silhouette
dr. strangelove
Klaus Hergesheimer
Loomis
Harmsway
UndiscoveredCountry
Lobelia Overhill
Blunt Instrument
Tubes
Vesper
G section
Largo's Shark
SJK91
trevanian
Hilly
Control
FourDot
Chigawa
Drax
CJB
Salomé
bondfan06
The White Tuxedo
lalala2004
Fairbairn-Sykes
James. C
Makeshift Python
Lazenby.
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:34 am

He is shitifying the originals beyond a point where I'd ever want to see them again.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:36 am

Well, at least the prequels have resulted in some hilarious YouTube reviews like the following multi-part gem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxKtZmQgxrI
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:43 am

RLM should review Lucas' life.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:48 am

I guess I have a more honest view of the original films and their merits these days, but part of me wishes I could have the nostalgia intact. Lucas seems intent on demolishing any and all affection for his creation.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 12:54 am

I hope to God those unaltered Original Trilogy DVD's are still available in stores. I'm stuck with the Hayden-ised '04 DVD's and I'd hate to think Monkey Orgasm Kenobi is all I'd be able to get in future.
Back to top Go down
Drax
'R'
'R'
Drax

Location : Slicing my enemies limb from limb into quivering bloody sushi.

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 am

I watched the Special Editions once in the theatre when they originally came out in the late 90s...never again have I subjected myself to an altered version of any of the original films, and I never will. That said, the original Empire is a perfect film imho and possibly my all time favorite.

Last edited by Drax on Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:00 am

Harmsway wrote:
I guess I have a more honest view of the original films and their merits these days, but part of me wishes I could have the nostalgia intact. Lucas seems intent on demolishing any and all affection for his creation.

I'm in the same boat. I don't hold these films up that much. I remember some article years back where they asked celebrities about seeing Star Wars. Faye Dunaway said something like, "I never saw it, but it ruined movies." I thought she was a bitch, but now I'm closer to her opinion. Though it sounds like she actually is a bitch.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:02 am

CJB wrote:
I hope to God those unaltered Original Trilogy DVD's are still available in stores. I'm stuck with the Hayden-ised '04 DVD's and I'd hate to think Monkey Orgasm Kenobi is all I'd be able to get in future.

You can get 'em used easy.

At least for now...
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:45 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
He is shitifying the originals beyond a point where I'd ever want to see them again.

It's like going from the gutter, down to the sewer, and then out to New Jersey.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 2:17 am

Harmsway wrote:

Like BLADE RUNNER, I enjoy the STAR WARS films almost entirely on a visual level. Aside from a few moments in STAR WARS and THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK, the dramatic and emotional engagement on offer is close to zero.

However, even the prequels - absolutely excruciating though they are for the most part as pieces of storytelling - have more than their share of fascinating production, creature and costume design, as well as terrific FX, so the eye is at least pretty well ravished throughout (leaving aside some instances of somewhat dodgy CGI). And even at their very, very worst, the prequels are still much more tolerable than INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL (although I know you'd disagree with that).
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 2:31 am

What I never understood is why Lucas didn't tailor the prequels to fit what he had created in the OT. Instead, he did whatever the hell he wanted with the prequels and now he's fucking with the OT to make it "fit" the mess he created with the prequels. Seems ass backwards to me.

I think Wickett blinking is the most heinous of all of them. I mean, seriously, does Lucas really think that making a little creature blink will make the film that much better? Damn, this shit is absolutely infuriating. Boy am I glad that I have the DVDs that contain both the Special Editions and the original cuts.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 2:39 am

G section wrote:

Plus Jabba's door looks f***ing terrible.

Maybe it is his 'tribute' to the door Joseph K reaches up to go through in Welles' adaptation of Kafka's THE TRIAL. Then again, the image quality on that door makes me think it might be his tribute to late 80s visual effects being composited via analog video. Something quite wrong there.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 3:18 am

Sharky wrote:

I wouldn't mind this change of the door being bigger, but the artificial zoom kills it. Artificial zoom ins are what really hurt AOTC and ROTS because they are so frequently used in those flicks that it gets annoying. Can't Lucas just keep in frame? Look at the Jedi/Palpatine meeting in AOTC after the assassination attempt, EVERY SHOT has artificial zoom ins.

Quote :

It's shit like this that baffles me. The new effects here are neither an improvement nor a decrement, it's just a different effect for no reason. Why do these people waste their time with such trivial crap?
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 3:21 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Sharky wrote:

I wouldn't mind this change of the door being bigger, but the artificial zoom kills it. Artificial zoom ins are what really hurt AOTC and ROTS because they are so frequently used in those flicks that it gets annoying. Can't Lucas just keep in frame? Look at the Jedi/Palpatine meeting in AOTC after the assassination attempt, EVERY SHOT has artificial zoom ins.

Quote :

It's shit like this that baffles me. The new effects here are neither an improvement nor a decrement, it's just a different effect for no reason. Why do these people waste their time with such trivial crap?

RE: zoom. I knew there was something about it that looked Prequely.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 3:32 am

It's a pet peeve of mine. Specifically zoom ins that happen at the edge of the screen.What's the purpose of the zoom in here? It's just Lucas fucking around because he can. It's another point I use as an example of why I find TPM to be the lesser evil of the prequels. It's got some nice beauty still shots to it at least.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 4:02 am

Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 4:27 am

Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 5:56 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
It's a pet peeve of mine. Specifically zoom ins that happen at the edge of the screen.What's the purpose of the zoom in here? It's just Lucas fucking around because he can. It's another point I use as an example of why I find TPM to be the lesser evil of the prequels. It's got some nice beauty still shots to it at least.

It's the last one that was originated on film, and that's a huge difference for me. Even with what have been described to me as the shittiest anamorphic lenses in the world, the movie still looks like a SW epic in terms of the way the desert and sky are colored -- but by AOTC's trailer, you've got Anakin crusing on his motorbike and it looks like a BARNEY MILLER episode where somebody crannked the chroma way too high, very video-ish (which to me is a BadThing.)
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 6:20 am

I can understand that. It LOOKS like a movie. F/X wise it was also the superior of the prequels. I like that while they used CGI they still made use of traditional models and CGI would only used when necessary and for some strange reason it holds up much better than the next two. Is there a reason behind that? Even Jurassic Park made in 1993 for the most part holds up well.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 1:16 pm

Loomis wrote:
So Amazon UK is currently offering the six-film Blu-ray collection for £67.49.

It's also offering the six-film Blu-ray collection with a limited edition film cell for £57.37.

Let me get this straight: buy the collection without the limited edition extra thrown in and it'll cost you a tenner more than if you opt to receive the same box set accompanied by this film cell? Strange.

Must have been an error on their part, for they're now offering both versions - the one with the film cell and the one without the film cell - for £57.37.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 6:12 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:

Thanks. I remember that clip. Great stuff.

Never can I recall a movie producer or series creator so out of touch with his/her own fan-base. Lucas seems to almost hate his Star Wars fans. He's a horrible director, a below-average writer, and a tone-deaf producer. He makes structural changes to the series that no one asked for, refuses to give fans the option of owning the original theatrical trilogy, and comes across pretty much as shown in the MAD-TV clip: petulant, spoiled, and a brat.

The guy seems like he was in the right place at the right time with a decent idea for a swashbuckling space adventure and a bit of forward thinking on special effects and simply got lucky from there. If there was any doubt about his inadequate directing abilities, the prequel trilogy should have completely erased them.

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 6:19 pm

The best part is that fans still buy the shit, though.

STAR WARS is as dead as childhood. Time to move on.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 1:02 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
I can understand that. It LOOKS like a movie. F/X wise it was also the superior of the prequels. I like that while they used CGI they still made use of traditional models and CGI would only used when necessary and for some strange reason it holds up much better than the next two. Is there a reason behind that? Even Jurassic Park made in 1993 for the most part holds up well.

Part of the prob with AOTC and ROTS is that when they used models, they shot them with digital cameras. It is really tough to keep models from looking like models when shot on video (getting much better as of late, with the different sized chip in camera), just look at THE STARLOST if you don't believe me.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 1:25 am

trevanian wrote:
Makeshift Python wrote:

Part of the prob with AOTC and ROTS is that when they used models, they shot them with digital cameras. It is really tough to keep models from looking like models when shot on video (getting much better as of late, with the different sized chip in camera), just look at THE STARLOST if you don't believe me.
I phrased it wrong, I was actually talking about the CGI looking poorer in the last. But I agree about the miniature work not looking to great either with the exception of a few bits on the lava planet in III.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 EmptyFri Sep 02, 2011 1:59 am

laugh

Though a full-length remix with that hilariously stupid noise would be awesome.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Star Wars: The Original Trilogy   Star Wars: The Original Trilogy - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Star Wars: The Original Trilogy
Page 6 of 23Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14 ... 23  Next