More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL

Go down 
+34
Triviachamp
right idea, wrong pussy
Loomis
Fairbairn-Sykes
Blunt Instrument
GeneralGogol
Harmsway
jet set willy
lachesis
MBalje
Napoleon Solo
dr. strangelove
clublos
Santa
CJB
saint mark
j7wild
Jack Wade
Control
The White Tuxedo
Prisoner Monkeys
Lazenby.
FourDot
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Louis Armstrong
FG Wells
Satorious
Hilly
Stamper
Perilagu Khan
Makeshift Python
tiffanywint
bondfan06
Largo's Shark
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyMon May 28, 2012 5:02 pm

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
I can't be the only person who is curious as to why j7 thinks Newman is a sell-out. There is nothing in that brief interview that suggests he is. Sure, we all know that I think very little of j7, but I'm ignoring the fact that it is j7 asking this question. If it had been Sharky or Hilly or PK or anyone else accusing Newman of selling out for no reason as far as I can see, I'd still be asking why they felt that way.

Still, good luck in trying to get a comprehensive, understandable answer and explanation from j7
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 7:12 pm

They should had picked Lalo Schifrin!!

He will bring life and soul back to the James Bond film scores - something that's been missing since the Dalton era.

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 7:15 pm

Serra's had soul.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptySun Jun 10, 2012 7:21 pm

Lord help the minority who feel otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Triviachamp
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Triviachamp

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 10:41 pm

So will Newman's score be criticized for not reusing a John Barry score or being a reused John Barry score?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 10:41 pm

Triviachamp wrote:
So will Newman's score be criticized for not reusing a John Barry score or being a John Barry pastiche?

Somewhere in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyThu Jun 21, 2012 10:42 pm

By some no doubt, but not this crowd. Lots of fans of Serra's GE score round here.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 12:44 am

Yeah, the Bond fans shitting up a storm over Serra's music is what pressured EON into getting a guy like Arnold to ape John Barry. If Newman does his own thing there will certainly be "traditional" fans upset that it doesn't sound like a Barry knock-off.

I hope it'll be different, we really need a new refreshing Bond score after 17 years.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Triviachamp
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Triviachamp

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 1:19 am

That's the pitfall for a long running series like Bond. Trying to be "traditional" leads to criticism of being too formulaic, irrelevant and a poor imitation of what was done before while being changing things up leads to criticism of throwing out the essence what Bond is.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 3:15 am

Triviachamp wrote:
So will Newman's score be criticized for not reusing a John Barry score or being a reused John Barry score?

I don't think so. And that's not why people complained about Arnold's music, either.
Back to top Go down
Triviachamp
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Triviachamp

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 3:24 am

Control wrote:
Triviachamp wrote:

I don't think so. And that's not why people complained about Arnold's music, either.

What was the complaint about Arnold then?
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 3:45 am

His music was awful, electronic trash. I think people complained more about it not matching the quality of Barry's music, rather than it not being a rehash of Barry's music. After a while, I think we all just hoped he'd copy Barry's style, for the sake of our ears.

But, when you're following in the footsteps of one of the world's best film composers, you've got your work cut out for you.
Back to top Go down
Triviachamp
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Triviachamp

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 4:12 am

Control wrote:
His music was awful, electronic trash.

Weren't there similar complaints about Serra's GE score? I'm sure plenty of people thought Serra's score was "awful electronic trash" just because it didn't sound like John Barry.

Quote :
I think people complained more about it not matching the quality of Barry's music, rather than it not being a rehash of Barry's music.

Wasn't Arnold hired because he would write a more traditional score? I recall plenty of complaints that he was a poor Barry rehash, such as:

Quote :
Yeah, the Bond fans shitting up a storm over Serra's music is what pressured EON into getting a guy like Arnold to ape John Barry. If Newman does his own thing there will certainly be "traditional" fans upset that it doesn't sound like a Barry knock-off.

Anyway the point is more that there will be a section of the fanbase that will not like it if Newman does his own thing and another section that will complain if he imitates John Barry since he isn't John Barry. Of course there will be a section that will think his score just sucks, which may or may not overlap with the other two groups.

Wanting a more traditional Bond would imply a desire for a Barry style score, wouldn't it?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:23 am

Triviachamp wrote:
Control wrote:
Triviachamp wrote:

What was the complaint about Arnold then?

For me his music was structurally all over the place, and didn't stand up well as a listening experience on its own. Not enough repetition, too many gimmicks and Mickey Mousing. As I said before, Arnold's musical philosophy was the opposite of Barry's. Walk fast and carry a tiny stick.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:45 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
If Newman does his own thing there will certainly be "traditional" fans upset that it doesn't sound like a Barry knock-off.
The "traditional" fans will be upset with anything other than John Barry.

Since Barry is dead, the "traditional" fans will never get their way.

This means that they will always be upset.

The sheer irrationality of this leads me to believe that the "traditional" fans are only happy when they have something to bitch about.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 11:47 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:

Bollocks. I don't want John Barry, I just want a quality composer.

You've been saying this since the days of old MI6.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 12:02 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Bollocks. I don't want John Barry, I just want a quality composer.

You've been saying this since the days of old MI6.
*sigh*

Read it again, Sharky. It says:

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:

It does not say:

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Since Barry is dead, Sharky will never get his way.

There's a subtle, but very important difference between the two. Can you see it?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 12:05 pm

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Read it again, Sharky. It says:

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:

It does not say:

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Since Barry is dead, Sharky will never get his way.

There's a subtle, but very important difference between the two. Can you see it?

Since I am their leader, and the one who effectively (along with Lazenby.) turned the tide of opinion against David Arnold), I will see about that.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 1:15 pm

So you want to be irrational and only ever happy when you have something to bitch about, then?
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 1:16 pm

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
So you want to be irrational and only ever happy when you have something to bitch about, then?

I don't want to be irrational, I AM irrational, international, and a customer of Abbey National.

FFS.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 2:12 pm

Control wrote:
His music was awful, electronic trash. I think people complained more about it not matching the quality of Barry's music, rather than it not being a rehash of Barry's music. After a while, I think we all just hoped he'd copy Barry's style, for the sake of our ears.

But, when you're following in the footsteps of one of the world's best film composers, you've got your work cut out for you.

Agreed.

All I want from Newman is a score with real musical integrity. A score that doesn't detract from what's on screen, and hopefully adds a little something. And I want a score that is identifiably Bondian. It should not beat us over the head with the Bond theme, a la DN, but neither should the Bond theme be conspicuously absent.

PS--Triviachamp, stating that fans will complain regardless of what Newman produces is hardly a revelation. Bond fans will complain about everything, regardless of how good it may or may not be. Sometimes their gripes are justified; many times they are not.

Last edited by Perilagu Khan on Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 3:36 pm

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
The "traditional" fans will be upset with anything other than John Barry.

I don't think so. "Traditional" fans will be upset if the score doesn't match the quality of John Barry's work.

Is asking for a great score so much to ask for?

For the record, I think Newman's capable. I hope the producers let him do what he wants.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptyFri Jun 22, 2012 8:15 pm

Satorious wrote:
Glad to see it's being shaken up a bit. Have Good German, class score. Could be argued that his under-rated brother David is an even better fit! But this sounds like very good news right now on paper. Let's hope he brings something fresh which people (and EON) respond too.
Because David's an orchestra junkie? ^^

I'm curious about the score, too. I'm sure it won't be a traditional Bond score, but Thomas Newman can vary his sound, so maybe the score will be Bond enough in the end.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:28 am

I'm not deluded into thinking we'll ever get anything anywhere near John Barry's standards again, but the change in composer was direly needed for quite some time, if only for a change in ambience and atmosphere. Every Bond film has sounded the same for far too long now under the current regime, ever since Arnold took over. The last two scores are unlistenable outside of the films and provide very few worthwhile moments within the films. That's unacceptable for Bond, regardless of who's composing. Daniel Craig is moving to Pierce Brosnan's leftovers and it's not a comfortable fit. Hopefully at the very least Newman can remedy that, even if he can't produce a masterpiece. But it's still the only thing about SkyFall I'm looking forward to.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 EmptySat Jun 23, 2012 1:33 am

What about Deakins and Bardem, Laz? The film already looks pretty incredible and I've got high hopes for Silva (despite the daft name).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL   Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Thomas Newman will score SKYFALL
Page 8 of 16Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 12 ... 16  Next