More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

DVD/BluRay News

Go down 
+25
Strangways&Quarrel
Tubes
Lazenby.
CJB
j7wild
Seve
Hilly
Loomis
lachesis
Harmsway
Gravity's Silhouette
tiffanywint
HJackson
Jack Wade
Fairbairn-Sykes
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Makeshift Python
G section
trevanian
lalala2004
Largo's Shark
colly
FourDot
The White Tuxedo
Control
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next
AuthorMessage
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 19, 2011 11:11 pm

HJackson wrote:
They try to remain region-free as far as possible, but sometimes they just can't be. Guess we'll have to wait for details on that.

Has anyone seen Silent Running, and if so is it worth getting? Mark Kermode likes it very much, which makes it pretty suspect.
Yep, I saw it as a boy. Don't remember hating it.
1972 was an interesting period for science fiction as social commentary, so there is that.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 3:08 am

I've seen SILENT RUNNING about 20 times, and while I always enjoy it, I can't say it is a good movie. It has the classic 'second half of act 2 stops the movie dead' failure to build, and it doesn't really exploit the robot/human interaction to the degree a slicker or more experienced filmmaker would have.

But if you take into account the fact that this movie was shot from a script that was cobbled together byt the director from three entirely separate scripts (Bocho, Cimino and another guy), and THOSE were all reworkings of the director's own story, which was a lot more interesting ... well,if you like good miniature work and don't mind Bruce Dern as a good guy, and if 70s environmental concerns aren't enough to give you diabetes (since I'm diabetic, I figure it is okay for me to go there), then this might be a guilty pleasure for you.

Movie was shot mostly in an aircraft carrier.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 3:12 am

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReviews8/killing.htm

Pre-ordered it months ago, look very forward to it.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 9:00 am

Not sure which aspect ratio is correct, but I think I prefer open matte there. It just looks better, compositionally, in my opinion.

And thanks for the thoughts on Silent Running, guys. I probably will give it a go.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 4:36 pm

Yeah, I kinda like the fullscreen look. But this is a BD that I want. Didn't know it included KILLER'S KISS.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 12:55 am

Just got home an hour or so with my new HDTV. 32 inches, 1080p.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 4:48 am

Equipped with 3D technology, I'm sure.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptySun Jul 31, 2011 5:03 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Just got home an hour or so with my new HDTV. 32 inches, 1080p.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJDAPDltMM#t=3m05s

What titles have you got so far?
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyMon Aug 01, 2011 1:11 am

I just realized I have an HDMI port on my laptop. laugh

As for what I got? No 3D that I know of. It's an LG brand TV. Got it on sale for 400.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 3:27 am

Barely a fortnight since I first read about it - Warners is releasing THE GAZEBO from the archive. Awesome. 8)
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2011 7:57 am

And Universal is releasing the MacMurray western QUANTEZ and the Alan Alda political pic THE SEDUCTION OF JOE TYNAN. I'm pumped.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyThu Sep 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Fritz Lang's SECRET BEYOND THE DOOR is coming out on DVD on November 14th from Exposure Cinema. Their While the City Sleeps disc was very good, and I have Beyond a Reasonable Doubt waiting for my viewing so I'll see how that is. Don't know if Secret Beyond the Door is available Stateside, so this may only have excited me, but I'm looking forward to it. Ever since seeing Scarlet Street I've tried to get my hands on as much American Lang as I can, and Secret Beyond the Door is the one that interests me most. Amazon says this one will contain a booklet too, which is a nice touch.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 12:00 am

THE ROCKETEER comes to Blu-Ray December 13th, 2011. They recently showed it at the El Capitan in Hollywood, I presume to coincide with the release of Joe Johnston's CAPTAIN AMERICA film. Based upon the box office receipts for CAPTAIN AMERICA, and the anticipated home video release of CA, I guess Disney decided the time was right to bring back THE ROCKETEER on blu-ray. I will wait to see what the extras are (and there better be some) before I commit to purchasing it. I already own it on dvd, but would like to put it on my blu-ray shelf next to my copy of CAPTAIN AMERICA, but not if Disney nickels and dimes the audience.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005JZBP4Q?tag=thedigitalbit-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B005JZBP4Q&creative=373489&camp=211189
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 12:03 am

Even if it has no extras I'll buy it. The DVD's transfer is so shit poor.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 12:08 am

Just as I suspected given the recent broadcast airings of it in HD I'm glad it's turning out to be the case! I have the HD copy but it's cropped for 16:9 TVs. I look forward to grabbing this.

This is very good timing. Captain America, 20th anniversary. It would be nice to have some extras included but hey this is probably the best treatment the flick will ever get from Disney. The last DVD release was just a 1992 Laserdisc transfer so this is a big step up.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 12:17 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Just as I suspected given the recent broadcast airings of it in HD I'm glad it's turning out to be the case! I have the HD copy but it's cropped for 16:9 TVs. I look forward to grabbing this.

This is very good timing. Captain America, 20th anniversary. It would be nice to have some extras included but hey this is probably the best treatment the flick will ever get from Disney. The last DVD release was just a 1992 Laserdisc transfer so this is a big step up.

I'd hope for a commentary. Or some kind of retrospective as this was supposed to be start of a major franchise for Disney, from what I gather. Maybe just as well it bombed, I don't know what a sequel would have been like. But I wish this film would get a better reputation. I think it deserves it. It's not a classic of world cinema, but it's a nice entry into this kind of moviemaking, and even though it's more lightweight I think it stands pretty well with the Indy flicks.

I have a soft spot for this film and SKY CAPTAIN AND THE WORLD OF TOMORROW. I like pulp, and I like planes and aircraft. I'd rather watch someone fly around than walk around like Indiana Jones. laugh
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 12:28 am

It would be great to see Disney give the same kind of treatment they gave for the blu-ray of TRON which had TONS of features.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 1:06 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
It would be great to see Disney give the same kind of treatment they gave for the blu-ray of TRON which had TONS of features.

Yeah, but TRON was tied into the sequel. Disney is just cashing in on CAPTAIN AMERICA, which is kinda fine by me. All I really want is a good transfer. Anything more will be icing on the cake. I don't expect very much as it's never been treated well by Disney and their DVD special features usually amount to retarded games for kids. Hell, I'd rather it have no special features if it were a choice between that and the asinine shit they usually put on their releases. I'd maybe like to see a "Kill the Jews" sing-a-long featuring flying Nazis with jetpacks with Jenny's boobs instead of a bouncing ball over the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 1:09 am

I know, I'm just dreaming of the possibilities.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 1:12 am

DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 The-rocketeer-original

Heh, he's holding up by her boobs.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyTue Sep 06, 2011 1:26 am

DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 PatrickStewart3
"Damnit that Okona!"
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 9:46 am

Masters of Cinema tweeted some grabs from the 1.37 reconstruction version of Touch of Evil that will be in their Blu set, and I'm finally convinced this should be in Academy.
DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 TouchOfEvil_09762_RV_133_01-24
DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 TouchOfEvil_09762_RV_133_01-9
DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 TouchOfEvil_09762_RV_133_01-27
DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 TouchOfEvil_09762_RV_133_1-28

Makes me wonder why the folks over at Criterionforum always chose to argue for Academy by pointing out a scene where a small and insignificant piece of lighting is cropped in widescreen, rather than any of these beautiful images.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Wow.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 5:47 pm

Yeah.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Was gonna buy the 50th Anniversary DVD soon. Well, glad I didn't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: DVD/BluRay News   DVD/BluRay News - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

DVD/BluRay News
Page 4 of 17Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10 ... 17  Next