More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Alex North Thread

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

The Alex North Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 3:15 am

We need a thread for this marvelous composer, who gave us such marvelous scores for films such as A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, CLEOPATRA, SPARTACUS, and WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?. He deserves to be celebrated with the best of 'em.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 4:30 am

I've posted it before, but this is still the best video I've found on Alex North as a man and composer.

He's sadly undereducated (hell, he's even despised in some circles - look no further than Youtube comments on his DRAGONSLAYER and 2001 videos).
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyWed Mar 28, 2012 6:21 pm

I wouldn't say it's his finest hour, but It's amusing how his score for DRAGONSLAYER brings the haters out of the woodwork.

DoctorofDemonology wrote:
Since everybody's hating on me for having the nerve to speak the truth, i.e. that Alex North was a no-talent hack, here's Stanley Kubrick: "However good our best film composers may be, they are not a Beethoven, a Mozart or a Brahms. Why use music which is less good when there is such a multitude of great orchestral music available from the past and from our own time?" One of the composers Kubrick had in mind when he said this was the guy he fired off of "2001", Alex North.

No-talent hack.

darkkramer666 wrote:
only part of Alex Norths score that was any good - rest of the music KILLED Dragonslayer - I feel that if the music had been done by someone with real talent (Goldsmith, Williams, anyone other than North) the movie would have been more successful - great movie - AWFUL music

larrypearce2 wrote:
North just wasn't that original. His scores tend to sound all the same.

BPrice1A wrote:
If this is the entire piece as is, no wonder it was re-cut. From 2:17 on, nothing works. All the drama in the visual is killed by the music.

Jelperman wrote:
@BPrice1A

I agree. It sounds like music from Icecapades or something.

CrassMufumbu wrote:
Yeah the score to this is inappropriate..like Ladyhawke..awful its not quite as bad as alex north's 2001 score which by itself is interesting but insanely wrong for that movie. Most of the music sounds like random cacophonous temp tracks waiting for a real score to be added later.

eloquentdiamond wrote:
Yes, this score is absolutely horrible. Plink plonk! Duuuu!

kezadroneShould wrote:
should have gone way darker with the music.

Fedaykin24 wrote:
agreed! The arrival of the dragon should be full of musical menace, instead its playful.

darkkramer666 wrote:
absolutely LOVE the movie but think the score is absolutely TERRIBLE

am I the only one that thinks this movie would be better with a BETTER SCORE?

seriously, the score annoys the living hell out of me - when I watch the movie I turn the music all the way downand play something else (which is actually cool - sometimes, NIN, sometimes Queen, etc)

darkkramer666 wrote:
@Essefen aww - poor little faggot with no taste thinks hes tough - go fuck your mother - I heard she likes it when you pound her with your 2 inch penis.

@darkkramer666 I agree with you 100%. Dragonslayer is a good-but-not-great movie (think of it as an early attempt to put "The Hobbit" on film) with some very convincing special effects that still hold up 30 years later - but that musical score SUCKS! Alex North was an awful composer, just a complete no-talent hack. How the hell that guy ever had a career in show business is a mystery to me.

laugh FFS...

(RogueRotting360's me BTW)

A few lesser known scores:

I highly recommend buying ALL FALL DOWN (released with OUTRAGE), CHEYENNE AUTUMN and THE RACERS. They're not on Youtube sadly, but they're three very underrated scores, especially ALL FALL DOWN.

I wish there were more re-recordings of North's work. Herrmann has benefited a lot from that (i.e. especially the Joel McNeely stuff, and even what Charles Gerhardt did in the 70s while Benny was still alive), and there's no reason why North can't get same treatment. For example, Eric Stern with the London Symphony Orchestra did an excellent recording of "Goodbye, My Life, My Love" back in 2010 for the anniversary release of SPARTACUS (PM me if you want it).
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 12:31 am

I feel sorry for those who don't appreciate North's scores.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 2:04 pm

Harmsway wrote:
We need a thread for this marvelous composer, who gave us such marvelous scores for films such as A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, CLEOPATRA, SPARTACUS, and WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?. He deserves to be celebrated with the best of 'em.

What beautiful music. Thanks for that.

Is SPARTACUS worth watching, BTW? I've sorta been under the impression that it's a Kubrick film from the days before he became Kubrick, so to speak, and thus not on a par with his "serious" and "worthy" later stuff.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 2:35 pm

Well, it's not really Kubrick "from the days before he became Kubrick," since he had given us the thoroughly brilliant PATHS OF GLORY prior to directing SPARTACUS, which I consider to be one of his finest films. (He worked with Kirk Douglas on that film, and it was the film that got him the job directing SPARTACUS.)

On SPARTACUS, he was a director-for-hire, and he was largely doing it knowing that it would increase his directorial clout. His vision for the film was consistently undermined by Kirk Douglas, who had quite an ego and was very controlling, and so Kubrick was unable to alter the screenplay in the ways he wished, and his desire to make SPARTACUS unprecedentedly violent and brutal went unfulfilled. The finished work doesn't really seem like a Kubrick work in any real capacity (though if you're looking for 'em, you'll see plenty of Kubrickian visual elements; the color palette for the film tends to be a bit drab/sepia for my tastes, but the composition is lovely). Kubrick ultimately disowned it.

As it stands, SPARTACUS might not be a particularly fine Kubrick film, but it is still a fine film on its own terms. It's a big, classic Hollywood epic, with an exceptionally fine score by Alex North (as you've already heard) that lends the film a lot of its intensity and emotional weight. The ending is genuinely stirring stuff, and never fails to bring me to tears. At the very least, SPARTACUS beats the stuffing out of the contemporary films that attempted to follow in its footsteps: BRAVEHEART and GLADIATOR.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks. I'll have to give it a whirl.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 8:04 pm

John Williams conducts selections from SPARTACUS at the Hollywood Bowl:

David Newman conducts the Main Title from CLEOPATRA:

Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 pm

Sharky wrote:
I wouldn't say it's his finest hour, but It's amusing how his score for DRAGONSLAYER brings the haters out of the woodwork.

Actually listened to this. I've never seen DRAGONSLAYER--looks pretty awful--but I can see why North's musical choices might have rubbed some viewers the wrong way. It's interesting that North reused portions of his 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY score.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 8:13 pm

Sharky wrote:
John Williams conducts selections from SPARTACUS at the Hollywood Bowl:

David Newman conducts the Main Title from CLEOPATRA:

Thanks for this. These are my two favorite North scores.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyThu Mar 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Harmsway wrote:
I've never seen DRAGONSLAYER--looks pretty awful--but I can see why North's musical choices might have rubbed some viewers the wrong way. It's interesting that North reused portions of his 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY score.

From what I've gathered, the director - Matthew Robbins - asked North to do the opposite of what one expect for many scenes. This is a film where the king takes the credit for the underdog hero's actions at the end, the main heroine is a tomboy, and the beautiful princess gets munched by a dragon, so it's clear that Robbins wanted to subvert the standard formula for this kind of film, almost for the sake of it. It wasn't easy for North to get into the material, and he had to take a more cerebral approach.

Remember that essay I posted some time back about counterpoint of ideas in film music? I'm surprised this film and score wasn't mentioned, since it ticks all he boxes in terms of running against the grain. That said, I don't think it succeeds and I understand not liking parts of the score, but as much (if not more) of the blame should be shouldered on the director for demanding this approach. It's still interesting, and makes you wonder for example if the music underscoring for the dragon's approach (the waltz originally intended to replace the Blue Danube Waltz in 2001) could from the dragon's perspective. Simple, innocent, and only attacking out of instinct, not malice. Poor dragon.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 3:17 am

Considering purchasing this biography/analysis of the life and music of Alex North. Liked what I've read from the preview pages, and sounds up my street:

ALEX NORTH, FILM COMPOSER: A BIOGRAPHY, WITH MUSICAL ANALYSES OF "A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE", "SPARTACUS", "THE MISFITS", "UNDER THE VOLCANO" AND "PRIZZI'S HONOR" by Sanya Shoilevska Henderson

Currently listening to these stirring cues from CLEOPATRA. Now I know where certain stylistic features of John Barry's music came from, partly at least, most evident in the cue "Grant Me An Honorable Way To Die."

Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 3:33 am

Sharky wrote:
(RogueRotting360's me BTW)

Thought so, from some vid posted a while back.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 3:46 am

Having an argument with this DoctorofDemonology c u n t on the DRAGONSLAYER video.

What "masterpieces"? What in the world are talking about? I've heard North's scores for "Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf", "The Misfits", "Under the Volcano", "The Agony and the Ecstasy", "Cleopatra", "Spartacus", North's "2001", "Dragonslayer" and "A Streetcar Named Desire", among others. At his best he was mediocre - he produced bland, generic, uninspired background music for the movies, basically the aural equivalent of wallpaper.

Fuck that t w a t.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyTue Apr 03, 2012 4:25 am

Sharky wrote:
Having an argument with this DoctorofDemonology c u n t on the DRAGONSLAYER video.

What "masterpieces"? What in the world are talking about? I've heard North's scores for "Whose Afraid of Virginia Woolf", "The Misfits", "Under the Volcano", "The Agony and the Ecstasy", "Cleopatra", "Spartacus", North's "2001", "Dragonslayer" and "A Streetcar Named Desire", among others. At his best he was mediocre - he produced bland, generic, uninspired background music for the movies, basically the aural equivalent of wallpaper.

Fuck that t w a t.

bet hesa zimer fAn
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyThu Apr 05, 2012 6:16 pm

The only interview with North I've been able to find online:

Quote :
A Conversation with Alex North by David Kraft © 1985
Originally published in Soundtrack Magazine Vol.4/No.13/1985
Text reproduced by kind permission of the editor, Luc Van de Ven

Alex North has always been among my favorite composers, so I eagerly looked forward to meeting him for this interview. I had heard that he was a shy, modest and soft-spoken gentleman. In fact Los Angeles Times critic Charles Champlin recently wrote that North is “reticent to a fault”. Now that I’ve met and talked with him I can report all of that is true, yet his lack of pretension and easy manner is refreshing, especially for someone of such talent and experience. Mr. North doesn’t concern himself with filling his social calendar with parties and meetings, which can perhaps partially explain why he hasn’t written many scores over the years (compared to many other film composers). After all, in the film business “contacts” and meeting the “right” people are often necessary facts of life. Yet North doesn’t seem the least bit concerned that he isn’t churning out four or five scores a year.

This year, however, North has been rather busy with the film score to John Huston’s UNDER THE VOLCANO plus composing music for the major Broadway revival of Arthur Miller’s DEATH OF A SALESMAN (starring Dustin Hoffman) and a Los Angeles production of Miller’s AMERICAN CLOCK. Although North has had health problems with cancer and arthritis in addition to an unfortunate auto accident in late 1983, he was bright and eager to answer my questions.

The following interview was conducted in late June, 1984, at North’s beautiful Pacific Palisades home in the hills above Sunset Boulevard overlooking the Pacific Ocean. He has lived there since 1970 with wife Anne-Marie (whom he met in Germany in 1967 while scoring AFRICA for which she was the orchestra manager) and their 14-year-old son Dylan. North has 2 grown children by a previous marriage; Steven, a film producer (who produced SHANKS, which his father scored) and a daughter who lives in Scotland and is a guitarist and songwriter.

David Kraft: Let’s first talk about your most recent score, UNDER THE VOLCANO. Since the film takes place in Mexico, did you and director John Huston decide to use a lot of “source music” to evoke the “feel” of Mexico?
Alex North: I lived and studied in Mexico in the late 1930s, just at the time this picture takes place, so I associate with that particular period and lifestyle (and I’ve been back to Mexico on several other occasions such as VIVA ZAPATA with Elia Kazan to pick up some authentic folk music.) I tend to use a lot of folk music in my own style, but a lot of the actual “source music”, played “live” at an outdoor festival in the film, never made it into the final dub of the picture. They didn’t use a lot of the “source music” I had written.

David Kraft: How much dramatic underscore did you write as opposed to music meant to be used a “source music”?
Alex North: There was very little dramatic underscore. I think the chief gratification I have out of this movie is having written a good, “sparse” score - perhaps 15 to 18 minutes. I adapted the kind of folk music I know well into my own style. I feel that the music is not only authentic to its time and place, but also reflects the conflict between the characters. It’s the kind of thing I did back in STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE, where Brando first encounters Vivian Leigh, where source music is emanating from a nightclub (The Four Deuces) but also has an underlying sensual feel for when they first meet.

David Kraft: Does the underscoring in VOLCANO have a Mexican flavor to it?
Alex North: No, it is more of a romantic quality plus a troublesome internal quality to bring out the struggle Albert Finney (who plays a drunken foreign consul) is going through. The music is sympathetic to his character, I could identify with him. I think the main title is one of my most exciting - pizzicato strings and a very sad, distant muted French horn playing rather solemnly. “Ghostlike”, as critic Arthur Knight put it so well. I use it again during a long 4-minute end title. The body of the score is ten or twelve minutes.

David Kraft: This is your third film with John Huston (MISFITS and WISE BLOOD prior to VOLCANO). How is he to work with?
Alex North: Oh, he’s marvellous. As opposed to the younger directors who tend to know everything about all aspects of filmmaking, John is an old pro, and I’m an old pro. He says to me, in a sense, “Alex, I know you’ve been around and know what you’re doing. I trust your judgement and approach about what is right musically and what is wrong.” The relationship is an ideal one.

David Kraft: When were you brought in for this film, before or after the shooting?
Alex North: Well, I read the Malcolm Lowry book of UNDER THE VOLCANO to get some general ideas. Sometimes one phrase in the book can give you an idea. But I really didn’t start writing the score until the film was edited.

David Kraft: You haven’t written many scores in recent years - although the few you have done have been excellent. I know your goal isn’t to crank out four or five scores every year, but why don’t you do more films?
Alex North: I’ve been reluctant to take on many assignments I find to be distasteful, whether it is because of sex or violence. Throughout the late 70s and after DRAGONSLAYER I’ve turned down several pictures. I even complained about one scene in DRAGONSLAYER I found too violent - where the princess is being eaten by the dragon. I said to the filmmakers they should cut that scene out. I told Matthew Robbins, the director, that he had such a good movie he didn’t need that scene. But he felt he needed to give the audience what it wanted. I think that attitude only compounds the miserable situation that exists. My 14-year-old son asked to see FRIDAY THE 13TH but I said, “No way”. I turned down scoring a recent X-rated film.

David Kraft: I know what film that one was - BOLERO with Bo Derek. My brother Richard was music coordinator on that picture. Bo wanted a veteran composer like yourself.
Alex North: Well, I had to be very tactful and diplomatic, but I had no interest in scoring BOLERO.

David Kraft: Something I’ve always wondered about is whether you were regarded as a “groundbreaker” or even an “upstart” when you started scoring films in the early 1950s. After all, up to that time scores were all rather traditional orchestral music - the kind of thing Max Steiner, Miklos Rozsa, Alfred Newman and Dimitri Tiomkin were doing at the time. Then you came on the scene and started using jazz elements, small orchestras, and tended to use music much more sparingly and not wall-to-wall. How did your peers at that time react to your scores?

Alex North: I had a tough time here. It was a “closed shop” and if it hadn’t been for Elia Kazan who pushed for me to do STREETCAR, I wouldn’t be out here. You must remember I started in New York scoring many documentary films, had done a lot of ballet and theatre plus was in the Army for 4 years working myself up to a captain, so I never came out to Hollywood to be a “groundbreaker”. I only did what I became accustomed to doing all those years. I always preferred to work on projects involving personal conflicts as the theme and that reflected itself in the films I did.

David Kraft: But what was the reaction you got in your first years as a composer for films?
Alex North:
Well, I was lucky to first work for Ray Heindorf at Warner Brothers. He was a marvelous, innate musician. He made me feel very much at home in Hollywood, as opposed to other composers and studio music heads who felt I was some guy coming from some attic in New York suddenly doing major films. I did feel very much out of place. The only one besides Heindorf who befriended me was Hugo Friedhofer.

David Kraft: Were you criticized by other composers?
Alex North:
They asked me why are you using only 8 or 10 musicians or a chamber style when we have 50 musicians under contract? I said I only need 2 guitars, or a flute, or whatever. Wall-to-wall music, as you called it, doesn’t pinpoint the contribution music can make. I try to avoid using music under dialogue, for example, if the performance comes off in its own right.

David Kraft: Which younger composers do you admire? Are there any new Alex North’s coming into the scene?
Alex North:
I really can’t say. I don’t see many new films and don’t know the new names. I’d rather read a book. I recently saw FANNY AND ALEXANDER because it’s a personalized film.

David Kraft: Do you get cable TV? I know a lot of composers keep up on movies by watching cable services like HBO or the Z channel here in Los Angeles.
Alex North:
No, we can’t get cable TV up here on the hill yet. I’m not anti-films, I just haven’t kept up.

David Kraft: Are you aware of composers like Vangelis and Giorgio Moroder who use a lot of synthesized electronic music?
Alex North:
I know CHARIOTS OF FIRE. I saw that on TV recently. As a sort of humanitarian thing I feel it’s unfair to all the musicians here who get put out of a job by synthesizers. I try not to record out of Los Angeles in order to give our people here work. But film is a business, not art. As for CHARIOTS OF FIRE, I felt it was a superficial, automatic approach to scoring. It needed more depth. I’ve used synthesizers, but in combination with the rest of an orchestra. I felt the one theme played when the runners were on the beach was effective, but the scenes involving the relationship between the two runners could be much more profound and dramatic if legitimate instruments were used.

David Kraft: Are there any film genres you’d like to score that you haven’t? You did WILLARD, but would other horror movies interest you?
Alex North:
I was offered a horror film not too long ago… I’d like to do something dealing with the social aspects of the troublesome days we’re going through. I’m very proud of having just done the revival of DEATH OF A SALESMAN with Dustin Hoffman now on Broadway. I extended and re-orchestrated the music from the original production and re-recorded it here in Los Angeles.

David Kraft: What exactly is the difference between your music for the original 1949 production of SALESMAN and the current one?
Alex North:
I scored the original production for 4 instruments - trumpet, flute, cello and clarinet. The new director, Michael Rudman, called me and said he wanted me to write a march for the new production. In order to do that, I needed a new combination of instruments - trumpet, saxophone, oboe plus Ian Underwood and his magical synthesizer, which does fantastic things. But in the end they never used most of the march music that Rudman insisted be used. The original score was 22 minutes. (If over 24 minutes of music is used, then the unions get paid a higher scale.) I extended a lot of themes that were very short. Thematically, things are the same, but I just used different instruments. However, when I saw the play on opening night I didn’t hear most of the music.
I had a review by theatre critic Brooks Atkinson I’m very’ proud of about my original SALESMAN score. He says, “Alex North has composed a witch’s chorus that is pithy, practical and terrifying. Give Mr. North a theme and he goes straight to the heart of it without any musical pretensions.” I’ve tried to adhere to those words. If I ever write an autobiography, I would start out with that.
Another interesting thing, now that I’m thinking of it. My score for STREETCAR was attacked at the time by the Legion of Decency as being “too suggestive” and “carnal”. I had to rewrite 2 sections of that score. Now that incident is in law books dealing with the First Amendment of the U.S. Constitution of right to free speech and expression.

David Kraft: What scenes did you have to re-score?
Alex North:
One scene was when Brando is at the bottom of the steps yelling, “Stella! Stella!” I had originally written a sensuous piece with several saxophones, which I rewrote for strings and French horn. It wasn’t an obvious sex-jazz kind of thing…

David Kraft: Do you get asked to score many TV mini-series? You did RICH MAN POOR MAN, which was one of the first.
Alex North:
I did RICH MAN under some bad circumstances. I was being treated for cancer at Stanford University of 7 or 8 weeks. I did the first 2 shows, then found out I had to go for treatment. I rented a Fender Rhodes and during my radiation and chemotherapy I would write the music and ship it back to my orchestrator in L.A. and then they’d record it.
But yes, I’d like to score more mini-series if the subject appeals to me. But I hear so many stories of how little time is given to composers…

David Kraft: You said you’ don’t know many of the younger composers, but which ones do you know on a personal level?
Alex North:
I see the two most successful composers socially quite a bit - Jerry and Johnny. Goldsmith is coming here to dinner next Saturday and Johnny sees me as a “father figure”. He asked me five years ago whether he should do the Boston Pops. They look up to me, and I admire their work.

David Kraft: Besides Goldsmith and Williams, whose music do you like?
Alex North:
I don’t want to leave anyone out, but I respect Larry Rosenthal and Lenny Rosenman - and Ernest Gold. There are many others…

David Kraft: Have you heard of James Horner?
Alex North:
I read an interview with him in the magazine you sent me, but I don’t know his scores. I don’t doubt that he’s a talented guy. Harve Bennett (who produced RICH MAN POOR MAN) called me about doing STAR TREK III, but I didn’t want to re-use music from the earlier films.

David Kraft: What are you working on now?
Alex North:
I’m putting together something for Andre Previn, who’s coming to the Los Angeles Philharmonic. I’m going over my score to CHILDREN’S HOUR which he might use. I’ll re-write and re-work it. I might work with John Huston again. I just got a nice fan letter from Jackie Bisset, who liked the music I wrote for her character in UNDER THE VOLCANO. She felt the music was “unpredictable”!

David Kraft: I assume you get a lot of letters from fans. What do they ask?
Alex North:
Yes, I do, and my wife says I should get a secretary to help answer them, which I’d really like to do. They ask for pictures and autographs and since I did a lot of the old standards like STREETCAR which show up a lot on TV, they ask about them. I also like when they write that they got a certain feeling or warmth from my music. It’s very flattering. It’s one of the compensations of doing film music.

David Kraft: What was the most difficult film to score?
Alex North:
WHO’S AFRAID OF VIRGINIA WOOLF?, for a lot of reasons. I had to deal with first-time director Mike Nichols, who had me on the phone day and night. He kept saying things like, “Can’t we score the film with Beethoven’s Opus 132, or how about just using a bass fiddle,” and things like that. It got to a point where I called music department head Ray Heindorf and told him although I liked Nichols personally, I couldn’t handle all his ideas. Heindorf called Jack Warner, who in turn called me and said I could do what I felt was right. Poor Mike Nichols was barred from the recording sessions. Mike then got a tape of the main title from the editor, which he loved, and then asked me to forgive him for all the trouble he’d made. We’ve been friends since.

David Kraft: That was a great score. A more recent score of yours I loved was CARNY.
Alex North:
I enjoyed working with Robbie Robertson - he really knows music and filmmaking. He gave me free reign, which was really unusual for a guy with his rock music background - I’d go to his house, where he has 40 Gold Records on the wall… He cried when he heard the main title. I’m glad to hear you say you liked that score, David. It was a case of working with a guy who inspires you instead of being critical, as opposed to DRAGONSLAYER, where two-thirds of my score wasn’t used in the final film!

David Kraft: Which logically leads to my next question: What happened on DRAGONSLAYER? First, tell me the story about how you got the job.
Alex North:
I heard this story from John Williams, who heard it from Steven Spielberg. It seems Spielberg was friends with Matthew Robbins and Hal Barwood, who made DRAGONSLAYER; they were deciding who to get to score the picture. As you know, Spielberg is a big film music buff. He played 3 records for Matthew and Hal, which he felt were good examples of the kind of music that would be good for the film. As it turned out, Hal really liked one, Matthew liked another, and Steven said he was partial to the third, but in any case Alex North had composed all 3, and he was the composer for the job. But, as it turned out, I can only be happy with the album of the score.

David Kraft: What happened?
Alex North:
Robbins seemed so overjoyed and excited with the score at the recording sessions. It was so dramatic in both sound and interpretation. I wrote a very lovely waltz for when the dragon first appears, with just a slight indication that this may not be a bad dragon. I didn’t want to tip the audience off that this might be an ogre. That waltz would get more and more distorted as the dragon kept appearing. Well, they cut out the whole waltz concept. They substituted other music I had written for another scene for when the dragon first appears. They chopped up a 4-minute cue to 30 seconds, a three-minute cue became 20 seconds…

David Kraft: Who was responsible for all these changes? Was it Robbins?
Alex North:
He was part of it, but that special effects group up in Northern California had a lot to do with it. Walter Murch and a couple of other people, I don’t remember their names.

David Kraft: You have 14 Academy Award nominations. Which film do you wish you could have won the Oscar for?
Alex North:
Well, I most like my scores for CHILDREN’S HOUR, THE MISFITS and MEMBER OF THE WEDDING, but to answer your question, I have certain favorites like VIRGINIA WOOLF. However, I don’t take full-page ads out in the trade papers. A lot of people seem to have to do that to win the awards. I seem to favor my scores for the smaller films I’ve done, as opposed to the “biggies” like AGONY AND THE ECSTACY and CLEOPATRA. I liked SPARTACUS, because I identified with the underdog there. I had something to say personally in terms of good vs. evil. SHOES OF THE FISHERMAN had a good message too, that if the Catholic church is so concerned about the poor it should distribute its own wealth.

David Kraft: Film music buffs like me are keenly interested in the score you wrote for 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY. I’m dying to know what that score is like. (Frank Cordell adapted Mendelssohn music for the score prior to North being brought in).
Alex North:
Kubrick had been working on the film for 4 years. I went over to England and he showed me the picture, which at that point was temp-tracked with the classical music he finally ended up with. It’s not unusual for a director to get used to hearing the temp-track and get accustomed to it.

David Kraft: So did Kubrick ask you to use the temp-crack as a guideline for the kind of music he wanted, or did he tell you to go off and do what you wanted?
Alex North:
He told me to go off on my own. (But I find it’s often advantageous to a composer to get an idea of what the director really wants from his temp-track.) I wrote a contemporary sounding score. It was the most frustrating experience of my whole career. The music was on its own with no sound effects, an ideal situation for a composer. Kubrick was at the recording of the score at Denham in England and said he liked it and gave me some suggestions for a few minor changes - a few changes in percussion and such - but he ended up using his original concept.

David Kraft: Where is your music now, do you have tapes?
Alex North:
Well, I have the scores of it, and have been reworking it, taking out the “stuffing” and cutting it down for a symphony work. It was not written originally for a conventional symphonic combination. When the Boston Symphony did sequences from CLEOPATRA, I had to reduce it. It loses something. So what I’m doing with this “2001” thing is trying to get some approach to it where it will fit a conventional size orchestra. I’d like to submit it to Andre Previn for a performance.

David Kraft: What size orchestra did you write your “2001” score for?
Alex North:
About 110 players, with two organs and 8 percussion.

David Kraft: You say the score was “contemporary” and mentioned to me earlier it wasn’t anything like the John Williams type symphonic “space/science fiction” score…
Alex North:
No, it was more like DRAGONSLAYER. Very dissonant and contemporary.

David Kraft: So, for example, how did you score the ‘Dawn of Man’ sequences with the apes, at the beginning of the film?
Alex North:
Mostly percussion and brass. Kubrick didn’t use any score, as I recall, in the final version. I scored the whole opening.

David Kraft: How did you score the long space station docking sequence, where Kubrick ended up using the ‘Blue Danube’ waltz?
Alex North:
Strange woodwinds for that, plus floating strings. It had a very strange quality. If I recall correctly, I also used a scherzo, a fast-moving dissonant piece with moments of purity and then clashes. I recorded music for the first half of the film, 40 or 45 minutes. Then I didn’t hear anything from Stanley until I went to the opening of the picture in New York, where I heard all the classical music instead of mine.

David Kraft: So other than being shocked, what did you do? Did Kubrick ever explain what happened, or apologize to you?
Alex North:
I thought this is the end, I’ve had it. It was really one of the biggest disappointments of my career. Kubrick never apologized.

David Kraft: Do you have tapes of the music you recorded?
Alex North:
No, I wish I did. I’ve been trying to find out from MGM where those tapes are. I suppose Stanley is the only one who has them.

David Kraft: You did music for over a dozen 20th Century Fox movies. Were you ever under contract to them?
Alex North:
No, but Fox music head Alfred Newman always respected my work, and probably due to him I worked there so often. I resisted moving to L.A. permanently and still regret having moved here. I miss the stimulus of the East and the variety of exposure to film, dance, theatre and opera.

David Kraft: You’ve worked with some great directors in your career - William Wyler, Tony Richardson, Daniel Mann and Martin Ritt several times, Raoul Walsh…
Alex North:
I worked with Walsh? What film was that?

David Kraft: A film called THE KING AND 4 QUEENS in 1956…
Alex North:
I have to get this information from you, David. Who directed PONY SOLDIER?

David Kraft: Joseph Newman. But what I was getting at was what some of these directors were like to work with. For example, the infamous Otto Preminger for whom you did THE 13TH LETTER…
Alex North:
I only had one meeting with him. Thank God he didn’t come to the recording sessions. That was in the early 1950s and he didn’t have a lot of say.

David Kraft: What about Richard Brooks? (BITE THE BULLET, 1975).

Alex North: That was an exciting experience. Brooks won’t allow a composer to attend the final dubbing, and the musicians couldn’t look at the film during playback. He didn’t want anyone to get an idea of what he was doing.

http://www.runmovies.eu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=551:alex-north-breaking-new-ground&catid=35:interviews
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptySat May 19, 2012 1:06 am

Check out Alex North's acceptance speech for his honourary Oscar. After John Barry winning Best Score for OUT OF AFRICA.

http://www.oscars.org/awards/academyawards/84/moments/index73.html
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 7:09 pm

Tugs at my heart every time I hear it.

I'd love to hear something as sensual and jazz-influenced as this in SKYFALL.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread EmptySun Jun 09, 2013 3:04 am

A page from Alex North's score for DRAGONSLAYER.

The Alex North Thread Dragonslayer31
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Alex North Thread   The Alex North Thread Empty

Back to top Go down

The Alex North Thread
Page 1 of 1