More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?

Go down 
+27
trevanian
CJB
James. C
GeneralGogol
jet set willy
Jack Wade
Walecs
lachesis
Seve
MBalje
James Bond
Ravenstone
Lazenby.
groucho070
Moore
Perilagu Khan
Loomis
Vesper
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Harmsway
The White Tuxedo
Makeshift Python
Gravity's Silhouette
bitchcraft
Prisoner Monkeys
Largo's Shark
Control
31 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What did you think of Adele's song?
Excellent (ranks among the best)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Vote_lcap10%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
Very good (ranks among the upper echelon)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Vote_lcap43%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Vote_rcap
 43% [ 18 ]
Good/Average (ranks among the middle of the pack)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Vote_lcap31%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Vote_rcap
 31% [ 13 ]
Fair/Below Average (ranks among the lower tier of songs)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Vote_lcap7%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Awful (ranks at the bottom of the list)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Vote_lcap9%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 42

AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Empty
PostSubject: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:01 pm

I voted "average".

It's not another "Diamonds Are Forever", but it's not "Another Way to Die Either".

I'd probably rank it alongside "GoldenEye" or "Tomorrow Never Dies". They aren't great, but I do like certain elements of those themes.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:02 pm

I'll vote "quite good" when it's an option.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:32 pm

The full song has reportedly been dropped, with a French radio station playing it a day early:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58844
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:33 pm

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
The full song has reportedly been dropped, with a French radio station playing it a day early:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/58844

We know. Posted in the other thread.

FYI, that's the radio edit. Full song premiers in 34 minutes on Capital FM.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:38 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
I'll vote "quite good" when it's an option.

Agreed...too much space between average and excellent.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:49 pm

I adjusted the poll to reflect a few more options and variety of opinion. If you previously voted please vote again.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyThu Oct 04, 2012 11:50 pm

Thanks Gravy.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 am

Having just listened to the whole song, I dig it. I don't think it will be an "instant classic" like Friedman hyped, but it's a nice song and a great relief after the song from the last film.

I'd vote somewhere between average and very good.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:20 am

I voted "Very Good". I loved the build up and refrain, and Adele is wonderful of course, but I can't help think I'll prefer the edited, shorter version for the film.

And it rapes "Another Way to Die" in the anus.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:23 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
I voted "Very Good". I loved the build up and refrain, and Adele is wonderful of course, but I can't help think I'll prefer the edited, shorter version for the film.

Agreed, I don't need to hear all that piano at the beginning...
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:24 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:

I actually feel that way for "You Know My Name" in the film. No doubt "Skyfall" will be trimmed down as songs rarely go beyond three and a half minutes in the films. I really look forward to how it plays with Kleinman's titles too.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:28 am

I love the opening Cmadd9 chord, Haunting stuff, and a tonality that Barry used a lot in the score for DAF (though not the song, that was down a semitone in Bm) - i.e. the beginning of Wint and Kidd. And also the opening/ending of the song "My Love Has Two Faces" that John Barry wrote for DEADFALL, sung by Shirley Bassey.

Surprisingly never heard that kind of sonority in DA's Barry-lite scores (too subtle maybe), which makes it refreshing.

Not sure about the bridge with the horns. A bit too on the nose, but it's alright.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:33 am

One thing is for sure. Those early comments about the song sounding like "The Living Daylights" were way off.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:33 am

I like it. It sounds like an old-school theme without being a pastiche; it has its own sound. I also like the way it's not really about anything at all, and the film title is thrown into the lyrics, even though it makes no sense. It reminds me of all the times other title performers have had their hands bound by awkward and clumsy titles, but worked with them anyway - like "Meeting you, with a view to a kill.".

It's nothing earth shattering. It probably won't be remembered as one of the all-time greats, and I think some of the hype (particularly Roger Friedman's "exclusive") was overly-complimentary to the point of gushing. But I love the way it constantly rises from start to finish, rather than peaking for the chorus and downplaying the verse. It is, I think, the right song for the 50th Anniversary. In some ways, I think it is every Bond theme song, or at least most of the decent ones.

Now we just need Thomas Newman to work the theme into the score.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:34 am

I saw one site call the song a mix of DAF and TWINE.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 am

The song's alright. Wouldn't rank very high in my ranking of the Bond songs, but it wouldn't be all the way at the bottom, either.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:36 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
I like it. It sounds like an old-school theme without being a pastiche; it has its own sound. I also like the way it's not really about anything at all, and the film title is thrown into the lyrics, even though it makes no sense. It reminds me of all the times other title performers have had their hands bound by awkward and clumsy titles, but worked with them anyway - like "Meeting you, with a view to a kill.".

Thought of that too. Like how "GoldenEye" and "Moonraker" have nothing to do with the rest of the lyrics.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:42 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:

I don't really hear TWINE in it, and I like to think I've got a good ear.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 12:56 am

Mix between Moonraker and Goldeneye, but just not as exciting as both of those. Still, much better than AWTD, and I can't wait to see it with the titles.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 1:24 am

Adelle's vocals are great. The opening piano solo works great.

Sadly, I stand by my original impression that the lyrics are flat. Probably the flattest in the series. Even a lot of the shittier Bond themes have one phrase that stays with you. Not one here stood out to me.

Adelle's vocals elevate it but sadly her song writing talents are not on par with her vocal ability. Firmly in the middle of the pack, and I'd say it's less interesting than some of the bad ones.

Last edited by Vesper on Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 1:31 am

Vesper wrote:
Adelle's [...] song writing talents are not on par with her vocal ability.

This. That said, while it's not as striking, experimental or cutting edge as DAD, the melody/vocals have got a soul that's been absent from Bond themes for a long time
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 1:55 am

According to Billboard magazine,, Adele's 'Rolling in the deep' was 2011's most downloaded single, with a grand total of 5.6 million downloads on digital music services (with the majority of that being iTunes). I'm sure Skyfall will cross 1 million soon....

Skyfall is already ranking at #8 on her singles sales...
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 2:10 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

I don't really hear TWINE in it, and I like to think I've got a good ear.

I'm just repeating what I saw on a site. laugh
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 2:23 am

I guess no one ever went broke underestimating people's taste for "classic Bond". But I don't know why they didn't simply get Bassey back.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 2:33 am

Loomis wrote:
But I don't know why they didn't simply get Bassey back.
No doubt they had their reasons. For one, Adele is far more likely to sell singles than Bassey is. And secondly, getting Bassey back would be little more than fan-service to celebrate th anniversary, and we all know what happened last time EON did that ...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next