More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?

Go down 
+27
trevanian
CJB
James. C
GeneralGogol
jet set willy
Jack Wade
Walecs
lachesis
Seve
MBalje
James Bond
Ravenstone
Lazenby.
groucho070
Moore
Perilagu Khan
Loomis
Vesper
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Harmsway
The White Tuxedo
Makeshift Python
Gravity's Silhouette
bitchcraft
Prisoner Monkeys
Largo's Shark
Control
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What did you think of Adele's song?
Excellent (ranks among the best)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Vote_lcap10%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
Very good (ranks among the upper echelon)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Vote_lcap43%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 43% [ 18 ]
Good/Average (ranks among the middle of the pack)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Vote_lcap31%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 31% [ 13 ]
Fair/Below Average (ranks among the lower tier of songs)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Vote_lcap7%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Awful (ranks at the bottom of the list)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Vote_lcap9%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 42

AuthorMessage
Seve
Q Branch
Q Branch
Seve

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:08 pm

Ravenstone wrote:

I don't like people who can't pick a note and stick with it. I hate unnecessary warbling, because it's usually a cover for weak vocals. Hitting a note and holding it steady is a hell of a lot more difficult than wandering vaguely around the note and giving it the odd flick rather than hitting the damn thing properly..

Amen to that
:bounce:

Ravenstone wrote:
It's led to a discussion at home involving putting all the themes in order of crapness. Die Another Die 'wins', followed by Tomorrow Never Dies, followed by Skyfall. It's made third worst Bond theme.

true, but TND also had it's rejected Bond theme by KD Lang tacked on to the end, which was much better and would be a contender for the lower reaches of my Bond songs top 10

Ravenstone wrote:

Bond themes need belting, powerful voices. Voices filled with sex and passion and revenge, and jealousy and... and... ball-breaking high notes at the end. With muted trumpets.

mystery, melo drama and ominous forboding, building to an explosion
they wanted to go the Goldfinger route last time, but Amie Winhouse unravelled
so they are trying again with Adele
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:44 pm

Not bad, not great. I prefer the instrumental elements to the vocals, I have never heard Adele before and certainly not encouraged to seek anything else by her.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:59 pm

On iTunes, Skyfall is currently #1 in the UK, most of Europe, and #2 in the USA. Not bad for a song a day old.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:30 am

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
On iTunes, Skyfall is currently #1 in the UK, most of Europe, and #2 in the USA. Not bad for a song a day old.

Her official YouTube channel had over 2.2 million views on the Skyfall 'video" since it's release last night. I'm assuming there isn't going to be an actual video for the song.

The Drudge Report had the word "SKYFALL" blasted all over the front page last night, though it was in reference to the fall out from President Obama's poor debate performance. However, over in the left hand column he did have two links to Adele's Skyfall song. 'Drudge' gets about 5-10 million unique visitors every day.

THE FIVE on Fox News had a roundtable discussion about Adele's song today and the 50th anniversary of 007. Based on this kind of pre-release publicity, I'm standing by my box office predictions of an opening weekend in the U.S. in the 80-million dollar range.

As for the song itself....well, I'll be looking for cover versions of it that I"m hoping will improve upon it. The first minute is pure gold and sets up to be one of the best songs I've ever heard. Then the rest is sort of formulaic and predictable. I would actually love a version of this song with just Adele's vocals, the piano, and maybe a guitar. The lush 77 piece orchestra and the Bond theme in the song, I feel, work against it.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:38 am

iTunes now has it a #1 in the US. I haven't bought it though because I plan on purchasing the soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:39 am

Lazenby shows how the opening piano shoulda be done....

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 8:16 am

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
Mrs Aural Sects wrote:

Her official YouTube channel had over 2.2 million views on the Skyfall 'video" since it's release last night. I'm assuming there isn't going to be an actual video for the song.

"Another Way to Die" song has over 12 million during the four years, Adele's song has already reached 6 million right now in just a day, so it's getting up there.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:04 pm

I'm not rushing for the iTunes version, a CD is due to be released October 29 with 2 versions of the song (I'm assuming the radio edit). I'm also expecting an official video.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:42 pm

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Lazenby shows how the opening piano shoulda be done....

I bet that's what Señor Khan fears I'd do if given the gig. ;)
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 12:54 pm

Believe me, there'll be a music video. As with MUSE's "Madness", it seems the latest craze is releasing a typography video as a placeholder before they finish the real one.

[As for the song itself....well, I'll be looking for cover versions of it that I"m hoping will improve upon it. The first minute is pure gold and sets up to be one of the best songs I've ever heard. Then the rest is sort of formulaic and predictable. I would actually love a version of this song with just Adele's vocals, the piano, and maybe a guitar. The lush 77 piece orchestra and the Bond theme in the song, I feel, work against it.

While I'm no fan of the thick-as-marmite orchestration, I think the piano playing is amateurish and sounds like a demo, or when a producer isolates a track that no-one would usually notice on a mixing desk, when they do one of those "Classic Albums" documentaries. The intro repeats for far too many bars without development.

Compare that to the film version of DAF - which after the brass stinger, has the vibes/Yamaha electric organ play the famous ostinato, but the orchestration around it changes. In each of the four bars, the B minor chord descends into a lower register of the string section - from violins on their higher strings, to violins on their lowest string (G) along with violas and celli - all playing sul tasto (near the fingerboard) - finally resolving in the 5th bar to a deep, sonorous B minor chord, with contrabasses and celli playing their lowest Bs, sounding the fundamental, and the rest of the strings orchestrated in a manner to reflect the overtone series.

There's none of that thought or guile gone into this song.

Back to top Go down
Walecs
Q Branch
Q Branch
Walecs

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 1:42 pm

This song is beautiful. I love it a lot. Between today and yesterday I've listened to it like 20 times (I'm serious, I pressed the replay button the whole day, and this morning I listened to it going/coming back to school). I'm listening to it right now.

I don't get the comparison with LALD, that song sounds s*** to me compared to Let the Sky Fall (probably because I've never been a fan of Beatles' style). The song itself reminds me of YKMN, AVTAK, Chuck's main theme and TWINE all put together, but I love it.

About the lyrics, how can you criticize this after It's just another Shoot 'em, bang bang? You haven't watched the movie yet, how do you know the way they're related to the plot? We barely know what Skyfall stands for. I find some parts brilliant, such as You may have my number, you can take my name.

Also, we finally have some Bond theme.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 1:45 pm

Walecs wrote:
the song itself reminds me of YKMN, AVTAK, Chuck's main theme

Chuck Heston did a Bond theme?
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Walecs wrote:
This song is beautiful. I love it a lot. Between today and yesterday I've listened to it like 20 times (I'm serious, I pressed the replay button the whole day, and this morning I listened to it going/coming back to school). I'm listening to it right now.

I don't get the comparison with LALD, that song sounds s*** to me compared to Let the Sky Fall (probably because I've never been a fan of Beatles' style). The song itself reminds me of YKMN, AVTAK, Chuck's main theme and TWINE all put together, but I love it.

About the lyrics, how can you criticize this after It's just another Shoot 'em, bang bang? You haven't watched the movie yet, how do you know the way they're related to the plot? We barely know what Skyfall stands for. I find some parts brilliant, such as You may have my number, you can take my name.

Also, we finally have some Bond theme.

None of your palaver, Walecs! All we want to do is bitch!

:x
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySat Oct 06, 2012 11:40 pm

Adele's 'Skyfall' reaches number 1 on iTunes 10 hours after release

http://www.examiner.com/article/adele-s-skyfall-reaches-number-1-on-itunes-10-hours-after-release

Adele has captured yet another sensational accomplishment. Sources confirmed that her James Bond theme song for "Skyfall" has already reached number 1 on iTunes.

According to a Mail Online report on Friday, Adele's James Bond theme song, "Skyfall" topped the iTunes charts only ten hours after its release. "Skyfall" received little promotion :?: but that didn't stop Adele's fans from purchasing the new album. It was them who helped carried Adele's James Bond theme to number 1 in the fastest time on iTunes to date.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 4:33 pm

Python wrote:
iTunes now has it a #1 in the US. I haven't bought it though because I plan on purchasing the soundtrack.

Has anyone seen the soundtrack to confirm Adele is on it? As of right now, I'm not sure.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 4:36 pm

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Python wrote:
Has anyone seen the soundtrack to confirm Adele is on it? As of right now, I'm not sure.
The track listing is out. Adele's song isn't on the soundtrack. You gotta get it separately.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 4:38 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Python wrote:
The track listing is out. Adele's song isn't on the soundtrack. You gotta get it separately.

What a rip off. I did intend on getting the Adele cd (preordered one on eBay for free using my eBay bucks) but it's unfair to those who want the whole soundtrack.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 4:43 pm

Makes sense if they want to fit in Newman's score as much as possible. They did the same thing for Arnold on the CR soundtrack. I guess I'll just purchase it on iTunes like I did for "You Know My Name".
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 4:48 pm

Is it a distribution/rights issue, or simply a money-making scheme?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 5:00 pm

I doubt it's distribution/rights issue, since both are by Sony. Money-making scheme, only they would know for sure. If that were the case they could have made it a two-disc release with everything in it and sell it for a higher price.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 5:01 pm

Sources confirmed that her James Bond theme song for "Skyfall" has already reached number 1 on iTunes.
Sources? Anyone can open iTunes and look at the charts and see that it's No. 1.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 5:08 pm

Welcome back Wade. :)
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 6:21 pm

Has anyone else played this song over 100 times yet?

Raises legs.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 9:05 pm

Adele's Skyfall debuted at #4 on the UK charts...taking into consideration it was only released on Friday and registered only 2 days of sales.

It's a big contender for #1 next week.

Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 9:10 pm

Mrs Aural Sects wrote:
Adele's Skyfall debuted at #4 on the UK charts...taking into consideration it was only released on Friday and registered only 2 days of sales.

It's a big contender for #1 next week.

I can easily see this being No. 1 next week.

More importantly, who is the nice ass on your avatar?
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next