More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Skyfall for Oscars?

Go down 
+11
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Lazenby.
trevanian
Control
Blunt Instrument
Fort Knox
Napoleon Solo
Prisoner Monkeys
GeneralGogol
Makeshift Python
jet set willy
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Skyfall for Oscars?
Yes
Skyfall for Oscars? Vote_lcap64%Skyfall for Oscars? Vote_rcap
 64% [ 9 ]
No
Skyfall for Oscars? Vote_lcap36%Skyfall for Oscars? Vote_rcap
 36% [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 14

AuthorMessage
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

Skyfall for Oscars? Empty
PostSubject: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:03 am

This is getting crazier by the day. Bookies are taking bets now on it.
http://www.flickeringmyth.com/2012/10/could-sky-fall-at-2013-academy-awards.html
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 7:19 am

If it's as good as many claim, then that would make SF the first Bond film to get any nom since FYEO. I doubt Newman who frequently gets nominated will get one for SF, since Arnold's track from CR will be used.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 1:04 pm

I can see Deakins, Corbould, the sound mixing/effects people, and Adele getting nominations. I bet that Craig, Dench, Bardem, and Mendes will get BAFTA nominations.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 1:26 am

GeneralGogol wrote:
I can see Deakins, Corbould, the sound mixing/effects people, and Adele getting nominations.
I agree with all of that.

I think that if anyone else in the film were to get an Oscar nomination, it would come down to who else gets one. If there's a particularly weak field of candidates, SKYFALL might sneak a nomination or two.
Back to top Go down
Napoleon Solo
'R'
'R'
Napoleon Solo

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 3:13 am

The Bond movie that received the most Oscar nominations was The Spy Who Loved Me (3). It was nominated for best art direction (Ken Adam and Peter Lamont); best score (Marvin Hamlisch); and best song (Marvin Hamlisch and Carole Bayer Sager). It went 0-for-3. The last nomination was for best song for For Your Eyes Only.

Back to top Go down
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 3:31 am

"The best Bond ever" and "Oscars beckon" was how one newspaper summed up Skyfall at the weekend. Can it really be that good?
Back to top Go down
https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 3:37 am

I recall a similar critics reaction to the final Harry Potter film, but in the end it didn't come close being nominated for anything other than technical awards. Granted, the timing of Skyfall's release is a lot better than Potter or Batman's summer releases.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 5:38 am

And it has more prestigious names attached that aren't new to the Oscars.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 6:42 am

I'm surprised no-one has accused SKYFALL of Oscar-baiting for some time now, given the level of talent attached. I would have thought this article would have caused foaming at the mouth with some people.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 6:53 am

I think the skepticism started to die down once Mendes started talking about the Fleming books at press conferences. Suddenly he was no longer some Oscar guy, he's actually a Bond fan.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 17, 2012 1:48 pm

007 Magazine's review cited Bardem's performance as nomination-worthy, I think.
Back to top Go down
Napoleon Solo
'R'
'R'
Napoleon Solo

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 2:17 am

Python wrote:
I think the skepticism started to die down once Mendes started talking about the Fleming books at press conferences. Suddenly he was no longer some Oscar guy, he's actually a Bond fan.

Don't forget the questionable hiring of Peter Morgan who, after he left the project, gave an interview where he said Bond was a figure past his time, etc., etc. Also, Eon put out a press release that it hired Morgan to write Bond 23 before Morgan had even submitted a treatment. that raises at least the possibility that Eon was seeking prestige.

It appears (and I say appears because I haven't seen the movie) that things have worked out much better for Skyfall than they did for Quantum of Solace, with its prestige hires of Forster and Haggis.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 2:32 am

Difference seems to be that Mendes loves Bond, while Forster, Haggis and Morgan had a more critical view, no different than Bourne. If EON still wants to hire prestigious filmmakers they should learn that hiring one who happens to be a Bond fan might have a greater benefit.
Back to top Go down
Napoleon Solo
'R'
'R'
Napoleon Solo

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 4:05 am

Python wrote:
Difference seems to be that Mendes loves Bond, while Forster, Haggis and Morgan had a more critical view, no different than Bourne. If EON still wants to hire prestigious filmmakers they should learn that hiring one who happens to be a Bond fan might have a greater benefit.

I agree. My point is the earliest days of Skyfall indicated there was some prestige hunting going on when Morgan was hired (this was before Mendes came along). Eon put out the press release (in 2009) before Morgan had even produced a treatment.

I also agree that if they want to make prestige hires in the future, it'd be good if they actually like Bond.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 5:57 am

I can't see it happening.

Ben Whishaw's certainly not going to snag an Oscar anytime soon.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Python wrote:

Yeah, but some of that could be smoke, considering he's talking about the same novels that I love best, and yet I'm finding that his perception of them skews WAY off target in terms of how Bond burns out.

It also reminds me that some journalists cited Timothy Dalton's constant invoking of Fleming pre-release as a defense against criticism of his performance. When I read that, I thought 'Moore fan' but later realized there was probably at least a bit of truth to it.

When you invoke Fleming, is it like the line in 2010 where the space agency guy says [paraphrase], 'During his speech, the president invoked Lincoln. Whenever a president does that, it means trouble.' I mean they did that for CR too, and I think that one is practically standing Fleming on his head, keeping incident but messing context so much as to invalidate what they're showing & telling.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptySat Oct 27, 2012 2:19 am

Not a chance really, unless it's a weak year. None of the supporting cast are given enough to deserve Oscars, despite good performances. Bardem given ten more minutes might have stood a chance, he was great in parts. The photography is good, but it's not really earth-shattering. In all honesty, I don't know where the hell anybody got ideas about this film winning Oscars. Maybe some kind of sound effects editing thing or something, again if the competition is nothing to write home about.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 2:05 pm

Dench will probably get a nomination. Her performances have always been good, and I kind of think she'll get one for contribution to the franchise.

Deakins will probably get a nomination too. I would like Craig, Bardem and Marlohe to get one too, though it may be a bit of stretch.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 12:17 am

In the end, I think Skyfall will ultimately get nominated in these categories:

Cinematography
Sound Mixing
Sound Editing
Original Song

Bardem and Dench seem like longshots. Bardem would have the better chance though, I think. Some of the competition there looks shaky.
Back to top Go down
bondfan06
'R'
'R'
bondfan06

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 1:21 am

http://cityarts.info/2012/11/07/on-his-majestys-secret-service/

Armond reckons Skyfall will win the Oscar for Best Picture.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyTue Nov 20, 2012 1:22 am

Posted that review about a week ago.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 5:26 am

Quote :
Disney's much-maligned tentpole "John Carter" received some measure of redemption from the Acad on Thursday with the news that it's made the list of 10 pics set for the Oscar visual effects bakeoff.

By including "John Carter" and Warner's "Cloud Atlas," the vfx branch continued its record of recognizing strong vfx works in movies with tepid grosses.

Other pics making the bakeoff are Sony's "The Amazing Spider-Man" and "Skyfall"; Warner's "The Dark Knight Rises" and "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey"; Fox's "Life of Pi" and "Prometheus"; Universal's "Snow White and the Huntsman"; and Disney's "The Avengers."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/entertainment/sns-201211291659reedbusivarietynvr1118062869-20121129,0,4614575.story

Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 11:56 am

Best we can probably hope for is something for cinematography and sound. Doubt it will get a Best Picture nod and Adele's song might not even be eligible.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 1:37 pm

It's usually technical and/or music 'nods' Bond gets from the Academy.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? EmptyFri Nov 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Dench has already won an Oscar for SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE. I bring that up because sometimes the Academy will give out the Oscar to a performance or directing job that wasn't necessarily the actor/director's best work, but because the actor/director had a body of work that hadn't been recognized (Martin Scorcese comes to mind). With all of that in mind, I'm not sure that Dench's performance in SKYFALL rates an Oscar nomination, and when you consider that her talents are not in doubt, that she needs no validation or career boost, and that she's already won one, I simply don't see her getting a nomination.

Same with Bardem, but I think his case is a stronger one to be made that if any actor from SKYFALL deserves an Oscar, it would probably be him. Already has one, doesn't need it, and there's strong, Oscar-worthy contenders out there right now in the kind of traditional performances that the Academy likes.

I think the strongest case for an Academy Award nomination should probably go to Mendes for Best Director, Adele for Best Song, and Newman for Best Score.

Dench, Bardem, Mendes, Adele, and Newman are all likely to get other nominations ranging from Golden Globe to People's Choice to MTV Moon Man. I wouldn't be surprised if MTV nominates Craig/Bardem as Best Screen Couple. Adele is surely a lock for a Moon Man nomination.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Skyfall for Oscars?   Skyfall for Oscars? Empty

Back to top Go down

Skyfall for Oscars?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next