More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Absurdity in Bond 25?

Go down 
+8
Gravity's Silhouette
CJB
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Santa
Professor Train
bitchcraft
Blunt Instrument
Strangways&Quarrel
12 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Absurdity in Bond 25? - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Absurdity in Bond 25?   Absurdity in Bond 25? - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 30, 2018 9:55 am

So someone like Maryam Mirzakhani is not a real woman, or...?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Absurdity in Bond 25?   Absurdity in Bond 25? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 31, 2018 2:50 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 08, 2019 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: Absurdity in Bond 25?   Absurdity in Bond 25? - Page 4 EmptyWed Jan 31, 2018 9:01 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Kath wrote:
What mythology? The bird with a wing down?

That the women in Bond films are essentailly passive, just victims of circumstances. The first step to being an adult is accepting personal responsibility something not many people seem willing to accept these days. Blame the #metoo victim culture.

And is Sévérine 'suffering from a very physical situation'?  Scared of Silva she may be, but she's wealthy and carrying a gun, not the usual accoutrements of a prisoner or doormat. These details are in the film for a reason. Also, while the plotting in Skyfall in labyrinthine and sometimes confused, if Silva is controlling Sévérine surely that doesn't extend to her having him killed?

What does imply that Sévérine is wealthy (that any of that stuff actually belongs to her)?
Do you think that she's plotting for her boss' death while his three men are listening? Isn't that a trap Bond too easily accepts (or, well, he wants to meet Silva anyway). Isn't it awfully easy for him to enter that boat when out of a sudden there a a dozen of armed man on board the next morning? This is Silva's planning, all of it.
"As soon as I leave, they will try to kill you" doesn't sound like an agreement to me.
If Sévérine is anything, she is bait. If she was one of Silva's henchmen, he wouldn't dispose of her in that way. And she doesn't mount any resistance. Even though she's wearing a weapon, she surly cannot defend herself with it. And if she were able to shoot it; why would she need Bond to kill Silva in the first place?
This is all a show, her wearing a weapon, her having the "power" to arrange Silva's death. Why does the man on board inform her that they have to leave if she wasn't to lure Bond on board? He's very considerate for a man who does not know about the plan; he sounds as if he were sorry to tell her. And the three attackers just make it more believable that Sévérine could arrange Silva's death.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Absurdity in Bond 25?   Absurdity in Bond 25? - Page 4 EmptyThu Feb 01, 2018 11:18 am

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 08, 2019 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kath
'R'
'R'
Kath

PostSubject: Re: Absurdity in Bond 25?   Absurdity in Bond 25? - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 02, 2018 9:21 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Well, for one thing she has a goldmine between her legs.

Seriously, how much do you think a dress like that costs? Not to mention the handbag, the lighter, the rings, the bracelet, the earrings and necklace. Sévérine is very well-groomed -the hair, those lovely teeth, the finger nails, makeup (bit goth for me) and eyebrows. She works high society and is unimpressed when Bond informs her he has four mission euros in his suitcase. Sévérine is not some ten-dollar trick.

Do you mean that Silva pays her? I don't think so. She's his mistress at best and his prisoner in the worst case scenario. She may be wearing that clothes, but Silva buys them. She's neither his henchmen nor his pivate prostitute. He does not pay her because she's part of his entourage. He keeps her equipped to make her look presentable. Since my question: does she really own any of that stuff?

Erica Ambler wrote:
If so, why does Silva have his three stooges try - very hard - to kill Bond? At the end it's Moneypenny who saves Bond.

As I have said before, to make the story more believable. Silva needs Bond to come to the island, to get captured, and get imprisoned, to hack into the MI 6 system...All of these steps have been planned, how could the vital step of meeting Bond be coincidence? Silva suggests he wants Bond to defect, probably he wants to test his abilities? If he dies during the attack, he's not worth it? But I am pretty sure that Silva knows that he will survive. He does even know about Moneypenny, I am sure about that. He's the mastermind hacker. And the genius schemer. All is planned and foreseen. He knows how the MI 6 ticks. He knows that Bond has special equipment.

Erica Ambler wrote:
All whores are bait. They push themselves like any other business or service. A professional can persuade even those who don't need them.

I do not think that she is a prostitute.  

Erica Ambler wrote:
Silva likes useful objects and Sévérine is no longer of value to him: "When a thing is redundant it is eliminated."

Exactly. Why would a henchmen use his value to him? Has she lost a fight? Or has she fulfilled her purpose of luring Bond to the island and so lost her usefulness? And Sévéline does still have a last purpose: Silva proves that he is not kidding. He's a ruthless killer. Life means nothing to him and his entourage are playthings to him. Bond is to take him seriously. If this is what happens when he loses interest in someone, what will he have in mind for M whom he hates? He demonstrates his power and his ruthlessness here.

Erica Ambler wrote:
It's normal for the captain of a yacht to inform the mistress when they're about to set sail. He's a servant and this is protocol.

They're not servants on the next morning when they point guns at the "mistress". Who has the say here?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Absurdity in Bond 25?   Absurdity in Bond 25? - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Absurdity in Bond 25?
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4