More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Bond Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+12
Somerset
Perilagu Khan
Thunderpussy
Sarai
AMC Hornet
ScarlettStrength
Blunt Instrument
CJB
Moore
Hilly
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
hegottheboot
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 09, 2021 1:56 pm

Certainly not the producers, hence the most arch Blofeld of them all 4 years later.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 10, 2021 7:32 pm

Perhaps he could've cameoed in VTAK, stepping off the cable car: "Helloo sailor!"
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 11, 2021 10:09 am

Hilly wrote:
Perhaps he could've cameoed in VTAK, stepping off the cable car: "Helloo sailor!"

I initially read that as "cameltoe"...

Making quiches, 007?
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 4:38 am

Charles Gray recasting what if's post DAF are hilarious to ponder.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 11:32 am

He would've been much better than Generic Eurotrash Not-Blofeld in the FYEO PTS.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 12, 2021 10:54 pm

CJB wrote:
Hilly wrote:

I initially read that as "cameltoe"...

Making quiches, 007?

colgate

that could've worked too
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 10:22 am

CJB wrote:
He would've been much better than Generic Eurotrash Not-Blofeld in the FYEO PTS.

Complete with the OHMSS neck-brace, despite the fact that the injury seemed to have healed by DAF. Ah, 'loose' continuity ...
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 3:18 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:
CJB wrote:

Complete with the OHMSS neck-brace, despite the fact that the injury seemed to have healed by DAF. Ah, 'loose' continuity ...  

Could've got banged up again when his escape pod ploughed into the control room.

Good thing that "x minutes and counting" guy broke his fall or it could've been more serious.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 13, 2021 3:40 pm

CJB wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:
CJB wrote:

Could've got banged up again when his escape pod ploughed into the control room.

Good thing that "x minutes and counting" guy broke his fall or it could've been more serious.

Failing that, he may well have wrenched it while eating a Taco Piz Gloria.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 1:43 am

Charles Gray as Orlov
Charles Gray as Q in LTK
Charles Gray as Necros
Charles Gray as JW Pepper
Charles Gray as Jaws
Charles Gray as Bibi
Charles Gray as May Day
Charles Gray as Xenia
Charles Gray as Stamper
Charles Gray as Renard
Charles Gray as Dench's M

I got carried away...
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 2:25 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
CJB wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:
CJB wrote:

Failing that, he may well have wrenched it while eating a Taco Piz Gloria.

A speciality straight from BAH-AHA!
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 15, 2021 10:58 am

hegottheboot wrote:
Charles Gray as Orlov
Charles Gray as Q in LTK
Charles Gray as Necros
Charles Gray as JW Pepper
Charles Gray as Jaws
Charles Gray as Bibi
Charles Gray as May Day
Charles Gray as Xenia
Charles Gray as Stamper
Charles Gray as Renard
Charles Gray as Dench's M

I got carried away...

I commend your enthusiasm, but considering how unconvincing a woman he (briefly) made in DAF I think at least 4 of these are misguided laugh .
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyFri Aug 20, 2021 11:02 pm

Well lads, ladettes and others, here we go again, another critical drinker inspired whatever....

Very nearly 45 years (!) ago...

The Spy Who Loved Me

in a very realistic sub set, we have trim and proper British types doing what they do. The dark haired chap who ends up being Ranger's skipper, otherwise appears in Gilbert's adaptation of Educating Rita and very briefly at that.

It's a measure of Bond that however briefly you appear, you are forever associated and in this case true of Brian Marshall (who appears in Professionals, Mosquito Squadron etc). However, his "oh my God!" is somewhat...well, somewhat lame if I'm honest. For someone who's boat is about to be captured by some bizarre ship he's a little...well, underwhelming.

However, we cut to our man in Russia, Gogol who speaks to his blonde without any subterfuge as later. Billington is forever Col Foster in UFO to me (and a brief appearance as a weepy thug in Prisoner). Must've been a slight jolt in 77 for XXX to be Bach. I still maintain for all the hate she got on the old forum and beyond, that Bach was a crush in the day. The long hair etc.

However, we now enter Moore territory. "Allow me to enlarge your vocabulary."

"Something came up."

"So does England."

"He's just left. He's just left."

The back projection unfortunately makes Sir Roge out for a Sunday stroll. What was Gilbert's direction? "Roge darling, you're on your way to kill some bad guys so act as you would if you were..."

Some fantastic scenery though accompanies our stuntman as he threads his way through. Now I admire Hamlisch, for instance he did a passable emotive score for Three Men and a Baby but for this, as he said, he was influenced by the disco era etc and so the score is vastly dated. But did not JB give Hamlisch his backing? Thus Barry was the godfather of soundtracks.
"John, what about ABBA?
-Are you fucking serious?"

Hamlisch though wisely kills the music as Bond plummets. A seminal Bond moment. The first of Moore's Union flag moments.

And so, the theme forever associated with Moore. The titles are the first I feel of the Moore era we know and love. The silhouettes, Moore's face in the titles and so on. Nice segue from titles to Gogol's office.

Bach tries her best. She's not the worst actress in a Bond film. Gogol has the best of his roles really here. Well, outside of Octopussy.

We badger over to Faslane or Holy Loch. Our sub base up yonder.

Aye, aye Bond in uniform. Well, there's something more natural to Bond in uniform here than Connery or Brosnan. Perhaps because Moore is actually at a proper Navy base as opposed to YOLT or TND. Perhaps as Moore wears it well. The throwaway "Ark Royal" line tickles. Fleming's Bond I believe briefly served in the service but saw action of course in WWII in the blue. Connery's Bond I assumed did the same. Moore, though a similar age to Connery, serves in a carrier that at the time was a relative baby. A carrier means at least he was a bridge officer.

(as it's a Moore film, we could've had Bond look at Baker and say: "Did I not meet you in Switzerland?
-Entirely possible but guns make me nervous.")

Our first contact with ol' Sir Frederick Gray. In this instance, soft Gray.

It's a little comical how Q leaps in "no, it's quite simple really!"

I am one of those who believe that Brown's Hargreaves is the M of 1985-89, however as M's seem to have M as a surname, it destroys it but it makes sense.

Initially Bond seems friendly with him, "Freddie". However of course from here to TLD, Bond and Gray are worlds apart. Perhaps they intended the two to be associates and yet by MR, they are apart as I say. Minor as it is, I do like that Bond does the casual officer thing of saluting junior ranks as they pass.

Now, here we are with a proper actor, Jurgens. Initially it's all good. He has this quiet gravitas, a faint element of terror and yet....

...ah, Sandor and Jaws.

In a way he's quite ruthless. In theory besides the scientists he also eliminates an innocent pilot.

Of all the Bond's, Moore's is the most erudite. He speaks the languages for instance.

We're starting to pull from a serious film. Moore's Bond is trying to investigate but there we go.

We sacrifice the lady.

Now would Barry provide more music? Perhaps. Instead the fight with Sandor though detailed somehow doesn't feel entirely right. However we do have the "what a helpful chap" line

As a child, Jaws' dispatch of whathisname was terrifying, aided by the lighting for one. The idiot though could've flown into the depths of the ruins but there we go.

Moore's Bond though has the wise sense to drop to one knee as the lights go. Not something I might associate with his Bond.

Though not the best moment in a Bond film, it's nonetheless faintly badass as Bond dispatches XXX's goons (including the stuntman X as he falls) followed by "Hope you enjoyed the show."

Again, though she lacks in acting skills, as a child and teen I was struck by Bach. Even now for my sins I am struck by her appearance in the cocktail dress. Though a brief moment, Bond's reaction to Tracy's mention I think is fantastic. Moore of course has no connection to Tracy and it's what eight years, but Moore has the right look of discomfort and faint pissed nature.

At that, Kalba has one of the best reactions to Bond introducing himself: "What of it?"

"Well, I, ah, I'm James Bond damnit!"

Long before TWINE, Kalba gets in a figure pun.

Again, Jaws is faintly terrifying as he bumps off Kalba. Amazing really how things change. TSWLM kills off two characters with simple lighting, exchange of shots and some music. The CR PTS and such forth has to do it with rapid cuts.

The two best secret agents from either side of the curtain casually talking in a van whilst being recorded. I mean come on, Jaws is bound to have bugged the van and yet let's just chat.

I do love Moore's reaction when XXX wakes to find his arm around her. That, well I was just comforting you...

The rivalry between the two is best seen here. At first when XXX goes ahead of Bond but when he puts his arm across her. Lack of music or not, the ruins are at their best here and I say that recalling Murder on the Orient Express or Battlestar Galactica. You have to like how Bond is faintly bemused by XXX as if channelling Moore (She's a shit actress and I know better, say).

"Don't move!"

It is comical. I mean she says that and both Jaws and Bond stop dead, both bemused perhaps. Do you mean we're in a fight here darling.

"Egyptian builders."

Oh, if they did that today.

And again, here we go. Bond winding XXX up by the dangling of the keys. Have to love that we now know that Jaws is a murdering machine but when he lands on the van's bonnet, Bond is nonplussed and XXX is shitting herself.

"Can you play any other tune?" yes, yes

"Try reverse, that's backwards!" yes, yes

"Woman drivers!"/"Quiet!"

Bond's eye roll to the shaken not stirred line. Darling, I've heard that a thousand times in fifteen years.

And then we get the comic music. I mean re-ally. Why not scrap XXX and insert Tony Curtis? Bond and Danny Wilde.

"The cylinder head gasket!"

"Oh is that what it is? Well, never mind. Say let's...
-No!
-Oh okay."

"He thinks we're a bit overdressed...", oh Roge we miss you.

"Forget my perfectly formed arse, I know how to wear a suit...
-Omega?
-My dear I'm not in the mood to product sponsor."

As good a song as NDIB is, it works well as instrumental.

The Siberia line is class.

As Bach goes her best moment is rising from the bathtub in Force 10 from Navarone. What? Never mind.

Now imagine. XXX knocks Bond out and scarpers, yet Bond is passed out on this boat for what should be hours. Does the Egyptian wake him up? No of course not, perhaps he intended on selling Bond.

So, Bond, worn out goes larking about ruins. It would have worked better had been drunk.

Hang about there's Penny. As you were Penny...shit it's Gogol, Bond curiously walks about eyeing him up. Why the fuck would you give him his set of phones? This is presumably a SIS base so even in detente...oh never mind.

Moore might not be the best Bond but he had his moments. It was not always played for laughs.

"After you Alexis..."

"That'll bring tears to your eyes..."

Yes, yes.

After her capitalistic line, Bond shrugs it off. Fuck it James, commies can do one. Bond's smile at her is classic Moore. Bond can't be arsed to mess about, but she's stuck to her ways.

Sir Roger is one of these you wish you could bring back. Sitting with him for even 30mins must've been excellent.

Bond in classic teen mode, sets up things with the aim of shagging XXX. "Oh, I fell over" kinda thing...

...however

Forgive me chaps but XXX in her gown is a bit of alright

Now, how the hell did Jaws fit into that wardrobe? I mean he's what 7ft?

For the best agent the Sovvies have, she's ruddy useless...

Always love Moore's face when Jaws bites into the wooden panel. "Shit!"

Also, I marvel at Kiel. His hand looks bleedin huge when grasping Moore's face.

"What happened?"

Well, you did a pisspoor job, I did my best and then he went...

"You saved my life" she says wondrously. Come on. If she was the best agent, the Russian equivalentr of our boy, she would surely not be so wondrous. She'd shrug it off. "Thanks but I can save myself mush!"

For the first of two times Bond rides a carriage.

Damn, Brozzer could but Moore wore suits best.

Got to love Q turning up in the Esprit complete with revving engine. Q, revving?

"Good morning Major Boothroyd?"

"What the fuck? How did you know that?"

Oh, Valerie Leon.

Fuck it, the handsome craft/lines works every time. Got to be one of Moore's best lines.

Caroline Munro was at her hottest in Starcrash

For 77 the effects involving Atlantis were quite decent.

"By the way Mr Stromberg prefers not to shake hands..."

Bond purposely ignores it.

Love how Stromberg tries to trip Bond up by asking him to name the fish.

Bond knows everything! Come on dude

"After the Karl Markx of course..."

Of course but fuck it.

The strength of the film is that it makes us forget Stromberg is the villain. There is enough around him that when we see him he's inconsequential.

"All those feathers and he still can't fly"

Only Bond in 77 could be pursued by a sodding Ford.

"Can you swim?"

Well, I could but I forgot I stole the blueprints.

One of the most Moore moments has to be the dropping of the fish with that face. "

"I think you just delivered it."

Measure of his Bond that when she says she will kill him he does not react.

Yet that smile as they descend to the Wayne.

Now, here we go, my man Shane Rimmer.

XXX's flick of the hair, cor blimey

Poor Rimmer hasn't seen the like. "Scott Tracy here...!"

"What?"

"Never mind."

Dirty perv though. She gets to use his shower but he sits there 'doing his work'.

Still, bit of alright

Measure of Meddings' genius that the Liparus looks bleedin' huge in shots.

I will forever love Rimmer. I grew up with Thunderbirds etc and I still remember my Dad when we watched DAF point: "That's Scott Tracy." He might not be the best actor but he's Shane Rimmer damnit.

"Which bullet has my name?"

Trivial aside, I like Bond's outfit. Still naval but Bond.

And here we go, "The Tanker"

Something desperate and dramatic as the tanker slides overhead, the red lighting, the music....

Now personally the Liparus set is one of the best in a Bond film. The sheer scope of it for one. The fact it has life-size mock ups of SSN's another

Rimmer and Moore we mates before TSWLM and so it feels that Bond and Carter were mates already, they get on so seamlessly.

Again, whatever we think, that hair toss of Bach as she is found out stirs.

But then I'm still caught by Jaclyn Smith's hair toss in the credits of Charlie's Angels.

The music for the dispatch of the sub is good, do we get it on the release? Of course not.

You have to love the moment Stromberg buggers off it all kicks off. Plus it's a rip off of YOLT right down to the set. Where Bond liberates the submariners.

Come on lads, you're British Navy have at it!

Bond is that badass that in seconds he has mustered the Navy and USSR navy into fighting back. This is the hero we need, the hero we deserve.

I do find the Mini Mokes hilarious, I mean you're driving into this shitshow.

In respect this is the bloodiest scene of a Bond film surely.

And so our chap from the RN sacrifices himself. What a chap.

Have to love Rimmer's reaction to the nuclear missile line: "You what!?"

Plus the fact Stromberg has a dress for XXX.

Do we need the fucking dramatic gulp? Rimmer's face is enough

"What happens if you do?
-It'll go off!"

I still wonder what is said when you consider there are two nuclear explosions.

Let's get the fuck out of here!

When you see Moore/Rimmer in the Wayne's conn it makes it more real somehow.

There is an element that reminds me of Land that Times Forgot, the sub trying to escape amidst carnage but of course in this, the sub makes it.

Again, music sadly lacking from the OST

"That comes from the top!"

I don't care, Rimmer was a hero as a kid, as I say.

Bond casually rides to Atlantis.

Is Bond's shooting overkilll? Maybe

Jaws is a quick bugger, getting behind Bond

Now, desperate as it is, XXX's attire suddenly is a bra. Not complaining but still.

She smirks then is straight faced

Never going know.

Well, HMS Fearless is right on top of you.

The perfect end but for the campy, though brief, rendition.

Fearless went on to serve in the Falklands.

Well chaps, that was me.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 3:17 am

Excellent stuff, as always, Hilly.

OCTOPUSSY
(Or Eightvaginas as was its translation in Japan)

This is one Bond movie I could never really get into and this viewing, my first in many years, was no different.

While one doesn't expect Bond to be a Grisham thriller, the plot is wafer thin even by the standards of the other Moore numbers. There's some vague stuff about the egg and then Bond has a series of pointless, comical misadventures for what feels like 2/3 of the film. Then the bomb plot is finally revealed and within five minutes Orlov is dead and the bomb is defused. Yawn.

After the so-called down-to-earth FYEO, OP really overdoes the slapstick shit. I know Moore's Bond wasn't deep n' gritty, but I don't want to feel like I'm watching a Saturday morning cartoon for kiddies, which is what OP feels like. Compare and contrast to the sly, adult, and occasionally dark humour of DAF and it's chalk and cheese when it comes to the comedic element.

I mean the whole bomb thing with Bond managing to get into full clown regalia, makeup and all, in under 30 seconds... is this what Cubby meant by "science fact"? Then the slapstick climax with the bomb defusal and the clowns bouncing around all over the place lacks any tension because it's just so silly.

There's very few things I enjoy in OP. "Spend it quickly Mr Bond" and Gobinda crushing the dice is one. The other is Orlov nearly cumming in that briefing room scene, that was good. I notice the chairman was a pseudo-Brezhnev lookalike, but alas Leonid Ilyich had died in late '82 when OP was being filmed and seemingly they had no desire to re-shoot with an Andropov doppelgänger prior to the film's release.

Berkoff is one of the few good things about this film and yet he has barely any screentime and only one brief interaction with Bond before his demise. What a waste.

One thing I had completely forgotten is that Miss 'Pussy had Smythe's tale from the short story shoehorned in as her father's bio. For some reason the WWII setting was changed to the Korean War even though those events were only 6-7 years apart so seems a bit pointless, but whatever. Nice that they included an element from the namesake story.

Also, the American General was the Waldorf Salad guy from Fawlty Towers.

Anyway, OP remains my least favourite of the Moore films. AVTAK cops a lot of flak but I think it's far more interesting with many more redeeming features in terms of cast, score, plot etc.

Beverage of choice - a Barossa shiraz of some sort.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 21, 2021 3:11 pm

Agreed, CJB. OP has just never done it for me, and that's despite some pretty good characters. In addition to the scenery-chewing Orlov, I always liked Vijay, and I think the Kamal Khan-Gobinda duo is one of the stronger villain/henchman dyads in all of Bondom. But, as Le Chiffre so memorably said, in a rather different context, "Such a waste!"

On the other hand, OP's Bond girls were forgettable. Maude Adams is almost as lifeless as Lois Chiles, and Kristina "Fivehead" Wayborn's beauty is of the shallowest kind.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 22, 2021 12:59 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Agreed, CJB. OP has just never done it for me, and that's despite some pretty good characters. In addition to the scenery-chewing Orlov, I always liked Vijay, and I think the Kamal Khan-Gobinda duo is one of the stronger villain/henchman dyads in all of Bondom. But, as Le Chiffre so memorably said, in a rather different context, "Such a waste!"

Vijay may not have been a thespian, but he was indeed a charming ally.

Agree also on Khan/Gobinda, but again, could've been utilised better.

Perilagu Khan wrote:

On the other hand, OP's Bond girls were forgettable. Maude Adams is almost as lifeless as Lois Chiles, and Kristina "Fivehead" Wayborn's beauty is of the shallowest kind.

Yes indeed, there must have been a casting call for wooden Swedish actresses. Magda must be one of the dullest side gals in the franchise.

As for 'Pussy herself, why they brought Anders back after TMWTGG is beyond me. If they were going to recycle an actress they would've been better off bringing back the original Pussy, Honor Blackman, who had a lot more spunk.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 22, 2021 4:47 pm

Alas, a 3-pound sack of mulch has more spunk than Anders, and I think her beauty is overrated, too.

It occurs me that the Powers have generally been much more successful in casting villains than Bond girls. And I suppose that's only natural when your overriding concern in casting the latter is pulchritude with all other concerns fading far into the background.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 8:38 am

Kristina 'Fivehead' Wayborn? Is there a scurrilous rumour concerning Ms. Wayborn of which I am unaware?
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 9:38 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:

It occurs me that the Powers have generally been much more successful in casting villains than Bond girls.

This is true, now that I think about it. Even in the best Bond films of any era, you could've really gone in any direction with the lass casting, whereas you have plenty of villains who were born for the part. I'd say Bond Girls, like the films generally, peaked in the 60's.

Quote :
Kristina 'Fivehead' Wayborn? Is there a scurrilous rumour concerning Ms. Wayborn of which I am unaware?

They went from Goodhead to Fivehead in just two films. Quantity over quality, I guess.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 3:08 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:

Ha. Unfortunately, not that I'm aware of.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 3:10 pm

CJB wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

It occurs me that the Powers have generally been much more successful in casting villains than Bond girls.

This is true, now that I think about it. Even in the best Bond films of any era, you could've really gone in any direction with the lass casting, whereas you have plenty of villains who were born for the part. I'd say Bond Girls, like the films generally, peaked in the 60's.

Quote :

They went from Goodhead to Fivehead in just two films. Quantity over quality, I guess.

Fivehead, eight vaginas and three gold "bezants"--Bond was really ahead of the polysexual curve.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 23, 2021 11:23 pm

CJB wrote:
Excellent stuff, as always, Hilly.

OCTOPUSSY
(Or Eightvaginas as was its translation in Japan)

This is one Bond movie I could never really get into and this viewing, my first in many years, was no different.

While one doesn't expect Bond to be a Grisham thriller, the plot is wafer thin even by the standards of the other Moore numbers. There's some vague stuff about the egg and then Bond has a series of pointless, comical misadventures for what feels like 2/3 of the film. Then the bomb plot is finally revealed and within five minutes Orlov is dead and the bomb is defused. Yawn.

After the so-called down-to-earth FYEO, OP really overdoes the slapstick shit. I know Moore's Bond wasn't deep n' gritty, but I don't want to feel like I'm watching a Saturday morning cartoon for kiddies, which is what OP feels like. Compare and contrast to the sly, adult, and occasionally dark humour of DAF and it's chalk and cheese when it comes to the comedic element.

I mean the whole bomb thing with Bond managing to get into full clown regalia, makeup and all, in under 30 seconds... is this what Cubby meant by "science fact"? Then the slapstick climax with the bomb defusal and the clowns bouncing around all over the place lacks any tension because it's just so silly.

There's very few things I enjoy in OP. "Spend it quickly Mr Bond" and Gobinda crushing the dice is one. The other is Orlov nearly cumming in that briefing room scene, that was good. I notice the chairman was a pseudo-Brezhnev lookalike, but alas Leonid Ilyich had died in late '82 when OP was being filmed and seemingly they had no desire to re-shoot with an Andropov doppelgänger prior to the film's release.

Berkoff is one of the few good things about this film and yet he has barely any screentime and only one brief interaction with Bond before his demise. What a waste.

One thing I had completely forgotten is that Miss 'Pussy had Smythe's tale from the short story shoehorned in as her father's bio. For some reason the WWII setting was changed to the Korean War even though those events were only 6-7 years apart so seems a bit pointless, but whatever. Nice that they included an element from the namesake story.

Also, the American General was the Waldorf Salad guy from Fawlty Towers.

Anyway, OP remains my least favourite of the Moore films. AVTAK cops a lot of flak but I think it's far more interesting with many more redeeming features in terms of cast, score, plot etc.

Beverage of choice - a Barossa shiraz of some sort.

Nice write up CJB. Thumbs up for the Fawlty mention though. He was probably the only character who really had the upper hand on Baz.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 24, 2021 9:28 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:

Fivehead, eight vaginas and three gold "bezants"--Bond was really ahead of the polysexual curve.

The Bond films have always been very progressive in this regard.

Hilly wrote:
Thumbs up for the Fawlty mention though. He was probably the only character who really had the upper hand on Baz.

Quite. Well, other than Sybil who, no doubt, kept his testicles floating in a jar somewhere.

Gotta hand it to the actor and his gruff delivery; I'll certainly never forget that Waldorf salad consists of apple, celery, walnut, and grapes in a mayonnaise sauce. I'd like to see Jamie Oliver get people to memorise any of his wanky recipes.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 1:31 am

One day we will convince you CJB of Octopussy's brilliance.

On the topic of Maud Adams, I agree she doesn't have the gravitas to honour the character. Honor Blackman returning I'd never considered but is inspired... She'd have once more relished the chance to repeat the name in interviews as she did with Pussy Galore. I like the idea of Jane Seymour having returned instead. She was wasted in LALD and, having matured as an actress, and with Eon realising she, of all actresses, needn't be dubbed, she'd have the opportunity to flourish in a much meatier role. And she's 10x the beauty Maud Adams is (sorry Hilly!).

That said, I don't dislike Maud here, I think she's decent, but she was more suited to the Andrea character in TMWTGG.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 28, 2021 4:25 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
One day we will convince you CJB of Octopussy's brilliance.

I take it the Octopussy Appreciation Society met in an elaborate war room where it was decided I was decadent and had no stomach for an atomic reprisal? tongue

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
On the topic of Maud Adams, I agree she doesn't have the gravitas to honour the character. Honor Blackman returning I'd never considered but is inspired... She'd have once more relished the chance to repeat the name in interviews as she did with Pussy Galore. I like the idea of Jane Seymour having returned instead. She was wasted in LALD and, having matured as an actress, and with Eon realising she, of all actresses, needn't be dubbed, she'd have the opportunity to flourish in a much meatier role. And she's 10x the beauty Maud Adams is (sorry Hilly!).

Jane Seymour would be a good choice. Far better actress than Adams and would be playing an almost polar opposite character to the one she played in LALD.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Bond Movie You Watched.   Last Bond Movie You Watched. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Bond Movie You Watched.
Page 3 of 24Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13 ... 24  Next