More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings

Go down 
+7
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
tiffanywint
Harmsway
Largo's Shark
The White Tuxedo
Lazenby.
Control
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings Empty
PostSubject: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:39 pm

Looks like it could be funny. Plus, it's Polanski, so I'm checking it out.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptySat Aug 20, 2011 8:45 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 4:03 am

Actually looks like a fun film on which Polanski can hopefully bestow plenty of his black humour, and the performances should all be good. Although, as with Polanski's Death And The Maiden, the whole thing does look a little too housebound due to it's stage origins. Hopefully the finished product will overcome that issue one way or another through either sustainance or appropriate runtime. But, if it's mostly set indoors, please no pointless CGI f*ckery with the window views in this film, as that distracted me in The Ghost Writer. Hugely looking forward to this film though, and it will obviously mark my now barely-annual trip to the cinema for another year.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 5:40 am

Just realized--I had that same BAM calendar in my room that's showed in the opening shot of the trailer.

Well, along with a million other people living in Brooklyn.

Is he allowed in the US yet? I forget.

Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 5:52 am

Still not allowed as far as I know. Shot Carnage in Paris.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 6:29 am

Lazers, I was thinking of DEATH AND THE MAIDEN as well. I think it looks worth seeing, but I hope the setting doesn't turn stale.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 6:30 am

This looks like WHO'S AFRAID OF VIRGINA WOOLF-lite.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 6:55 am

Yeah, I can see that in terms of the set up.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Lazenby. wrote:
But, if it's mostly set indoors, please no pointless CGI f*ckery with the window views in this film, as that distracted me in The Ghost Writer.
Well, y'know, that house in THE GHOST WRITER didn't actually exist, and was entirely built on a soundstage. Hence the blu-screen windows.

Sharky wrote:
Yeah, it kinda is. Don't expect any meat out of this thing. It's just a big, over-the-top, slapstick comedy, nothing more.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptySat Aug 27, 2011 6:27 am

The poster's been released:

Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings Carnage-movie-poster
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 5:12 am

Critical reaction round-up:

Daniel Kasman:

Polanski’s filmmaking is effortless and mostly invisible, interested in the actors hitting the right gestures at the precise moment, containing or spiking each exclamation, with the form of Carnage left to continuity and keeping the talker and movers in frame, the pacing in check. (Only Waltz is allowed some physical presence in the frame, with a notable exception being any moment when Winslet feels nauseous, one of the film’s triumphs, but at those points the film…clearly…is…setting…the…stage…for…physicality.) With the filmmaking placidly seamless the cast is likewise perfect, perfect at rising to the cliches that have been written for them, pushing them just a bit over the brink of absurdity, and holding them back—which will undoubtably lead many to accuse the film, surprisingly, of not going far enough, lacking the truest bitter edge, the harshest, freshest vision of humanity (as all stories about people stuck in rooms must be about humanity).

But what that criticism misses is the enjoyment of Carnage, not just that it is enjoyable to watch—its weird semi-theatricality and self-awareness of its own generalities adds a subtle, compulsive edge to everyone’s expected scene-chewing—but rather that everyone seems to be secretly enjoying themselves too, actors and characters, that these people cannot leave their conflict because they are having too much enjoyment masking their bitterness, parrying attitudes, revealing secrets,getting angry, and getting drunk as an excuse to cut loose. By devolving into awfulness these people find a kind of communal high in their safe space of hatreds, safe things to hate, safe people to fight with. I remember a lesson from yesterday’s Bene, and perhaps even of Dreyer’s Joan, that corporal solitude leads to death (what kind of death is a different question), and the disappointing and anti-climatic conclusion of Carnage with its distinct lack of death and destruction, only underscores how positively thriving these people are, together.

Justin Chang:

The gloves come off early and the social graces disintegrate on cue in "Carnage," which spends 79 minutes observing, and encouraging, the steady erosion of niceties between two married couples. But the real battle in Roman Polanski's brisk, fitfully amusing adaptation of Yasmina Reza's popular play is a more formal clash between stage minimalism and screen naturalism, as this acid-drenched four-hander never shakes off a mannered, hermetic feel that consistently betrays its theatrical origins.

Guy Lodge:

Waltz’s surgically timed pauses and inadvertently louche appropriation of others’ space are responsible for the biggest laughs in “Carnage,” perhaps because they seem more explicitly scaled for the medium than anything else in the film. Polanski probably made the right choice in refusing to open the play out for the screen — save for a pedestrian pair of external bookend shots that needlessly contextualize the scrap between the otherwise invisible children — but Pawel Edelman’s lensing aims to outdo the intimacy of the theater experience by getting unflatteringly, claustrophobically close to the actors. It’s a tactic that seems a little over-compensatory when the single most striking shot in the film — a tableaux where all four are caught momentarily distracted from each other — could be contained within the proscenium arch. Swift and savage and so sparing in generosity that it risks selling its smart world-view a little short, the ample pleasures of “Carnage” (title notwithstanding) are those of its source, but it might have found more of its own.

Oliver Lyttelton:

It’s been a while since Polanski’s done an out-and-out comedy (unless you count Pierce Brosnan‘s performance in “The Ghost Writer”—oh, snap!), and the good news is that “Carnage” is very, very funny. The play brought down houses around the world, and the director and his cast hit every beat with expert timing; there are moments here that rival anything we’ve seen in recent years for hilarity. There’s often a darkly funny undertone to Polanski’s work, but this reinforces that he’s got a real knack for comedy, for perhaps the first time since “Fearless Vampire Killers,” and we hope he doesn’t neglect that particular muscle from here on out.

But it’s also a film of very little ambition, a minor entry in the director’s canon. Perhaps it was just the desire to shoot something fast and quick after his brush with justice, which is certainly understandable, but he has essentially taken a pre-existing script, cast four A-listers, locked them in a room, and shot it. There are few directorial flourishes beyond a firmly Polanski-esque opening shot, and almost nothing to enable the identification of the movie as a Polanski picture; for once in his career, it feels like almost anyone could have directed it. It’s not as though the play could have been opened up much, but he really might as well have stuck some cameras in the audience of a stage production. Maybe that approach would have been fine for a more substantial piece, but at best Reza’s material is targeting some fairly low-hanging fruit (upper middle-class hypocrisy, in the main) without adding much to the discussion, and at worst it’s not about much more than the set-up for the next gag. And that’s even ignoring the major issue with the construction of Reza’s piece—there’s no reason for the characters to stay in the room together, except that the writer decides they should.

Todd McCarthy:

Roman Polanski as often been at his best in close quarters -- the small yacht of Knife in the Water, the Warsaw ghetto of The Pianist, the house in The Ghost Writer, the apartments in Repulsion, Rosemary's Baby and The Tenant -- so it should be no surprise that he's right at home examining the venality of the human condition in the living room of the Brooklyn apartment that serves as the setting for Carnage. Snappy, nasty, deftly acted and perhaps the fastest paced film ever directed by a 78-year-old, this adaptation of Yasmina Reza's award-winning play God of Carnage fully delivers the laughs and savagery of the stage piece while entirely convincing as having been shot in New York, even though it was filmed in Paris for well-known reasons.

Richard Corliss:

Reza's diagram of devolution might be made for Polanski — if its satire weren't so timid. Dramatic logic might at least require that by the end the two men are fighting, as their sons had. But Carnage only skates on the surface of such de-profundis dramas as Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf and Rainer Werner Fassbinder's The Bitter Tears of Petra von Kant, or virtually any play by Harold Pinter, or The Lord of the Flies. For the ultimate satire of decivilization, see Luis Buñuel's 1963 film The Exterminating Angel, in which guests at a posh dinner party find they can't leave, anarchy slowly ensues, one couple commits suicide and sheep wander in to be slaughtered and cooked for food. How's that for a last supper?

Reza isn't up to such grand misanthropy. Nor does she have the skill to trace a plausible course from the human to the beastly. Michael, the most amiable of the four, suddenly reveals that he threw out his daughter's pet hamster; apparently he'd never told Penelope that he just hates hamsters. Alan keeps getting cell-phone calls about a fast-developing crisis in his business — but he'd rather stick around and argue with his wife and the Longstreets. And if the four main characters are meant to personify the decline of Western civ, Polanski's one significant addition to the play undercuts that dour generalization.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 8:15 am

Looks like a film about women that drink too much.:drunken:
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 10:16 am

Sharky wrote:

Yes, that and Cat On A Hot Tin Roof.

Still, I may see it, if they decide to release it in Australia. Only rubbish seems to be getting here, except for the odd one here and there - Black Swan, The King's Speech, Never Let Me Go and Tree of Life (which, along with NLMG seemed to have disappeared from mainstream cinema after 2 weeks, meanwhile Transformers is still going strong after about 9 weeks).
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 2:56 pm

A lot of arthouse films don't have long runs over here. I usually have to make sure I get to see them within a week or so, just so I don't miss 'em.
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptySat Sep 03, 2011 3:52 pm

Gotta love Waltz's expressions in that poster! I may end up going to this at TIFF.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 7:04 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Thu Dec 20, 2018 1:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyWed Sep 28, 2011 8:07 pm

Indeed, reads a bit miffed. Must be the weather, one assumes...
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyFri Sep 30, 2011 2:09 pm

Glenn Kenny on CARNAGE:

Quote :
I do want to report that I did get a rather big kick out of Carnage, the film Roman Polanski has directed from an adaptation of Yasmina Reza's international hit play thingie. It seemed to go over very well with much of the rest of the Festival press and industry audience too. The piece as filmed is a pretty good satire that, in and of itself and perhaps necessarily, underscores the limitations of pretty good satire as a form. Which is to say that its various reversals are a little, well, telegraphed. There's a little bit of a paradox inherent in a piece that aspires to aggressively twist the nipples of its target audience's collective sense of propriety and/or social grace while at the same time satisfying said audience's expectations of entertainment. Which may in fact be precisely the point...only the film doesn't take things that far. It's modernist, not post!

But I did enjoy it, and after the film, I happened to run into a colleague who out-and-out hated it. And who said, and I quote, "There was nothing cinematic about it." Which I kind of couldn't believe, in the first place because more than anything else, Carnage is an absolutely virtuoso piece of cinema craft. As many of you likely know, the whole film, save for a brief prologue and epilogue, is set in a single Brooklyn apartment and its hallway. Polanski treats this space and its varied subspaces absolutely cinematically; the film is a potential masterclass in staging, blocking, camera angle, shot selection, shot length, pacing in terms of both rhythm of actual cutting and duration of shot, and so on. One could write a 1,200 word piece alone on how Kate Winslet's physical stature mutates over the course of the film's hour and twenty minutes. (We should note that Polanski's actual frame—film, that is—is wider than the image posted above.) It's all kind of amazing even if you're not crazy about the content of the picture. So, yes, I would say, entirely cinematic.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyFri Feb 17, 2012 7:27 am

Coming out soon in Australia... Looking forward to it. It's been one of the few films that I genuinely laugh at when watching the trailers. I can't remember the last time I did that for a comedy...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 12:41 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 1:10 pm

I always liked "Bitter Moon".
It is perhaps the one movie with Hugh Grant that I truly love. Perhaps because his role is reduced to that of audience stand-in?

Back in university, I would occasionally annoy/confuse some of my friends by randomly quoting the film.

I think some people missed the fact that it was meant as a very dark comedy (minus perhaps the final five minutes)? In spite of the many bitter truths Polanski has his characters expressing.

As well as a cinematic representation of Eastwood's old adage: "No matter how hot a girl is, there's always someone who's tired of fucking her."
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 1:15 pm

x

Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 1:21 pm

Brett Ratner and Polanski are friends. I will need to process that one. ROTFLMAO
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 1:33 pm

I actually remember hearing about him making an appearance in one of his films, RUSH HOUR 3.

Strange world.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 1:37 pm

I cannot read his name without being reminded of the story Olivia Munn told about him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings   Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings Empty

Back to top Go down

Roman Polanski Thread and Murmurings
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next