More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The CB.n Thread

Go down 
+37
Vesper
saint mark
Stamper
Jack Wade
marketto007
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Blunt Instrument
David Schofield
Prisoner Monkeys
doubleoego
Triviachamp
Aris
Napoleon Solo
EyelessCougar
dodgecunningham
danslittlefinger
jaguar007
Santa
Hilly
Fae
Righty007
coco1997
CJB
clublos
Lazenby.
tiffanywint
Capsule in Space
Perilagu Khan
RobDudley
dalton
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
Chief of SIS
Control
Gravity's Silhouette
Louis Armstrong
bitchcraft
41 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

The CB.n Thread - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 11:52 am

Ahhhh, the delightful Ms. Pinder. Quite a few of us would like to be unwrapping THAT at Christmas, I daresay.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 1:49 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

Yes, I won't go back this time! Got the message, I think!

Going back with four identities only reinforces the view they have about you.

I never went back. Never tried to go back. Never even thought of coming up with a new identity. Sometimes being right means letting someone else wrong you, or being right means being comfortable with other people thinking something wrong about you.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 2:40 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

Yes, I won't go back this time! Got the message, I think!

Going back with four identities only reinforces the view they have about you.

I never went back. Never tried to go back. Never even thought of coming up with a new identity. Sometimes being right means letting someone else wrong you, or being right means being comfortable with other people thinking something wrong about you.

Agreed on that one - well put!
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptySat Dec 01, 2012 3:27 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

I do like the term continuation novels. It distinguishes these works from the originals. There is really no comparison IMO,with the originals. The Fleming Bonds represented Bond from Fleming's world view. It is the authentic literary Bond oeuvre. The continuation novels do continue, and do provide a form of homage to the Fleming Bond legacy but they are not of the legacy. They stand outside it.

Precisely. And that's why we don't speak of "continuation films", because the films (unlike the novels) were never the product of one person's creative vision and authorial "voice".

(That said, though, I suppose it's arguable that the films ultimately stand as products of the vision of a man or a woman with the surname Broccoli.)

tiffanywint wrote:

The continuation novelists are at a huge disadvantage too, in that they don't have latitude to tinker with the established Bond persona. Fleming was a very provocative writer. His Bond oozed personality and attitude, infused by Fleming. I find the continuation authors can't be quite as bold. They rightly need to take a more conservative approach to their portrayal of the character for fear of overreaching.

Which has tended to lead to nothing more than dull, generic, join-the-dots, box-ticking portrayals of "James Bland".

I've never really understood why the continuation novelists "don't have latitude to tinker with the established Bond persona" - there seems to be a view that an average reader picking up a continuation novel is unlikely to have read Fleming and has had his or her image of 007 shaped entirely by the films (probably true), and (and here's where I disagree) that it follows that he or she basically just wants a Bond film in book form and will fling the novel across the room in horror if there are any deviations from the safest and most conservative interpretation of The James Bond We All Know And Love(TM).

The irony, of course, is that the film series - once the home of "James Bland" - has left such mindless, formula-bound conservatism behind and is currently much bolder and more innovative than the continuation novels have ever been. The success of the Craig films has shown that Joe Public won't throw a wobbly if the Bond character and formula are shaken up a bit, indeed that Joe Public welcomes a bit of risk-taking. I hope that the continuation novels will one day follow suit.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 1:40 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Ahhhh, the delightful Ms. Pinder. Quite a few of us would like to be unwrapping THAT at Christmas, I daresay.

yes, but I'm not allowed within fifty miles of Southampton alas.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptySun Dec 02, 2012 11:25 am

Hilly wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:

yes, but I'm not allowed within fifty miles of Southampton alas.

I'd say that was still close enough for a cheeky squeeze of Ms. Pinder's wobblers, such is their, erm ... magnitude (or magtitude, possibly).
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 2:12 pm

CBn - Yes, I am disrespecting you. I'm disrespecting you to the max. Maximum disrespect.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 7:28 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
CBn - Yes, I am disrespecting you. I'm disrespecting you to the max. Maximum disrespect.

You should upload an avatar for your profile. A pet peeve of mine is seeing a profile picture that is blank.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 9:56 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

time to move on and revel in Club BaB
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 04, 2012 10:20 pm

Hilly wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

time to move on and revel in Club BaB

Aye.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:28 am

Loomis wrote:
The irony, of course, is that the film series - once the home of "James Bland" - has left such mindless, formula-bound conservatism behind and is currently much bolder and more innovative than the continuation novels have ever been. The success of the Craig films has shown that Joe Public won't throw a wobbly if the Bond character and formula are shaken up a bit, indeed that Joe Public welcomes a bit of risk-taking. I hope that the continuation novels will one day follow suit.

I am no fan of the current films. I would love to get back to the Connery persona and vibe of the early films. Bond with emotional issues and drama is of no interest to me, however I wouldn't object to someone taking on the literary Bond with a little more vigour. The author would need to understand Fleming though. He would have to have a genuine grasp of what Fleming and the original novels were all about. If so I would be happy to trust him and see where he takes the character. He would almost need a Fleming like personality. It could be done. Maybe the new guy might work out. The Faulks experiment though was a waste of time and Deaver created an almost unrecognizable Bond - Dudley Do-Right Bond.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 3:59 am

Gotta give Deaver credit for making MI6 carbon neutral, though.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyWed Dec 05, 2012 2:46 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

I am no fan of the current films. I would love to get back to the Connery persona and vibe of the early films. Bond with emotional issues and drama is of no interest to me.

Fair points, but at least the current films attempt to push the boundaries and take risks (regardless of whether or not one actually likes the results) in a way that the recent novels don't.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 5:17 am

Oh sure, the new films aren't an abomination or anything. They just are what they are. They are different, but at least they make a ton of money, which means the series will continue and as we've seen, the temper of the series seems to change, when the actor changes. When Craig retires his shoulder holster, a new actor will step in and likely bring a fresh attitude and approach.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 6:23 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

You should upload an avatar for your profile. A pet peeve of mine is seeing a profile picture that is blank.

Grav, I would if I knew how, but I don't - I'd use my Facebook profile photo if someone here would care to tell me the process through which you upload an avatar photo here on BaB.

Agreed - let's move on. The future's bright. The future's BaB!
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 6:39 pm

Here's how to do it:

Go to the tab that says "profile", and from there click on "avatar." Here you can upload any photo you want from your computer, and it'll be automatically resized.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 6:56 pm

Thanks, LS, just uploaded my avatar - a flower in a gun watercolour!
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 8:25 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

The CB.n Thread - Page 16 Andrea-anders-maud-adams-man-with-the-golden-gun-roger-moore-2

Don't tell me...a watercolour pistol.

Last edited by Perilagu Khan on Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 10:00 pm

A Guns And Roses fan?

The CB.n Thread - Page 16 Guns%20N'%20Roses%20wallpaper%20(10)
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 06, 2012 10:13 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

Me likey. Very Maurice Binder-ish.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyMon Dec 10, 2012 4:27 pm

Yes, I am a GnR fan, although I think it's quite a Bondish image there, too! The elegance of violence - a pretty neat summation of the world of James Bond.

Glad so many people like it - I used to use it over at CBn too, before I got banned in November 2012!

Yes, I imagine a film version of Never Send Flowers would feature this type of imagery - I can but dream...
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyThu Dec 13, 2012 6:49 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:

The CB.n Thread - Page 16 Andrea-anders-maud-adams-man-with-the-golden-gun-roger-moore-2

Don't tell me...a watercolour pistol.

Yes, how original!
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyFri Dec 21, 2012 9:23 pm

Dustin's Hitlerite email to me on banning me for life from the glorious CBn forums:

Dustin's email: "SILHUETTE MAN". Dustin said: "You're out. Do not return. Do not pull any drama queen stuff. End of."

Such a little charmer.

If anyone's a nutjob, it's him.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyTue Dec 25, 2012 9:00 pm

CBn is becoming a rump - the literary Bond forums are very much dead over there. That's why they need to build them up here on BaB. :)
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 EmptyWed Dec 26, 2012 11:37 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Dustin's Hitlerite email to me on banning me for life from the glorious CBn forums:

Dustin's email: "SILHUETTE MAN". Dustin said: "You're out. Do not return. Do not pull any drama queen stuff. End of."

Such a little charmer.

If anyone's a nutjob, it's him.

laugh Does he think he's writing one of M's encrypted notes to Bond. "I AM A WANK STOP DO NOT RETURN ENDIT"
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The CB.n Thread   The CB.n Thread - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

The CB.n Thread
Page 16 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next