More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie you Watched?

Go down 
+36
Blunt Instrument
GeneralGogol
j7wild
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
lachesis
Salomé
Gravity's Silhouette
Klown
bitchcraft
6of1
Prince Kamal Khan
dalton
Tubes
Jack Wade
Fae
G section
Loomis
tiffanywint
Mr. Trevelyan
Hilly
00Twelve
saint mark
Louis Armstrong
Seve
Makeshift Python
trevanian
Control
Ravenstone
Fairbairn-Sykes
Santa
dr. strangelove
The White Tuxedo
HJackson
Manhunter
Largo's Shark
Harmsway
40 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 9:55 pm

Mercifully, I haven't heard the cover versions of 'Let's Hear It For The Boys' or 'Holding Out For A Hero'. They may make me want to grab the nearest high powered rifle and climb the nearest tall building...

I just love it - "I'm really, really angry - so what shall I do? I'll drive to a disused factory and dance. That'll learn 'em...." :D
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 10:05 pm

The 80s were a simpler time. Hence dancing in factories. :)
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 10:09 pm

Spacehunter : Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. Now that was a film that could only have been made in the 80s.....
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyMon Oct 10, 2011 11:04 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
Spacehunter : Adventures in the Forbidden Zone. Now that was a film that could only have been made in the 80s.....

and don't forget Krull and Battle Beyond the Stars

2 most excellent 80s movies
Back to top Go down
Manhunter
'R'
'R'
Manhunter

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 2:03 pm

Inglawries Boasters

Had the whole bashing in of human heads and the scalping not been in there, this film would already be much more enjoyable for me. The first sequence with Landa visiting the French family is well-made (but not of out of the ordinary quality, as I've noticed), but it wouldn't exist if Leone hadn't made his excellent films back in the day. Also the gratuitous baseball bat bashing scene with our good friend Donny would be not only disgusting (which it is in any way), it also wouldn't be of any quality had Tarantino not used the Morricone music to announce "The Bear Jew" (a most ridiculous character). While there is enough quality satire in this film, the (I know: deliberate) trash elements are really quite embarrassing and take the quality down considerably. The whole addressing of the Mexican-stand-off situation is also stupid, even if (or because) it is obviously self-aware (wink, wink). Roth is useless, as is Pitt who doesn't have a modicum of acting talent and doesn't have the slightest bit of a knack for humorous scenes either. I also don't like that this buffoon gets to shoot Hitler and Goebbels, when they could have all been burnt alive, and it also takes something off of Shosanna's revenge, at least that's the way it feels to me.
There are other things I don't enjoy, but I'll go on with the good stuff. The tavern sequence is rather well-made and (somewhat) suspenseful; every scene with Waltz as Landa is superbly enjoyable, the whole character is well drawn and has some admirable dialogue; his ingenious way of fulfilling his orders, manipulating men, finding out and occasionally exposing his opponent's mistakes, is creepily enjoyable. It's sad to see such quality getting marred by stupid trash elements; the film is a mix of some good satire with far too many trash elements that don't mesh well at all. The only funny scene with the Bastderds characters is Landa's suave display of his surprising and admirable Italian speaking skills. ;) (If you find a character like Landa more likebale than the most prominent Jew in the film, there must be something wrong with the writing - certainly not with yourself, I can assure).
Tarantino's ability of shooting action scenes, his way of using the camera, his eye for details in the decent set design, parts of the dialogue, and his good choice of music are all skills that he should use some day to make a quality film. :)
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 3:28 pm

I beg to differ, sir but the first sequence with Landa is outstanding!

The dialogue, the acting, the suspense!!

I wish more movies nowadays will have this kind of smart writing and excellent acting!!
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 6:05 pm

Manhunter wrote:
I also don't like that this buffoon gets to shoot Hitler and Goebbels, when they could have all been burnt alive, and it also takes something off of Shosanna's revenge, at least that's the way it feels to me.
Shosanna was never aware of Hitler attending, her only objective was to burn top people from the Nazi government and collaborators alive.

Quote :
If you find a character like Landa more likebale than the most prominent Jew in the film, there must be something wrong with the writing - certainly not with yourself, I can assure.

They're meant to be bastards of the inglorious variety. tongue These aren't nice people, these are the people that perform the immoral acts so that people back home can sleep well at night (perhaps even cure an itch). They're on a one way trip to hell and they'll take as many Nazis with them as demonstrated in the fiery theater. How does that make them any different than the Nazis? It doesn't, except they don't throw innocent families into incinerators or in Landa's case shoot them down like dogs. Yeah, it's probably hard to swallow for many folks. Better stick with WWII flicks showcasing John Wayne's unquestionable heroic acts.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 6:56 pm

Basterds is utter crap. I don't necessarily object to crap, but pretending it's art is pathetic.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:12 pm

Ravenstone wrote:

First and last feature to topline Peter Strauss, right? Damn shame that, can't figure out why he didn't catch on (still can't figure out why Carey Elwes didn't either, or why it took so long for folks to warm to Tommy Lee Jones.)
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 7:23 pm

Oh yes - The Princess Bride. Fantastic.

Legend. Labyrinth. Hawk the Slayer. I could go on.....
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:08 pm

ROMANCING THE STONE?
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:13 pm

Best film Michael Douglas ever did ;)
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:29 pm

You told me you liked his arse in Basic Instinct.

In my professional opinion it was past its best.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyTue Oct 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
You told me you liked his arse in Basic Instinct.

Shame it was on top of his shoulders.

Do you know, I've never managed to watch the whole of Basic Instinct? Like Fatal Attraction, it's just too boring.

Fatal Instinct, now - that's a good film. Whenever I hear Brown Eyed Girl, I think of Armand Assante in red stilettos. :D
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 2:22 am

Ravenstone wrote:
Oh yes - The Princess Bride. Fantastic.

Legend. Labyrinth. Hawk the Slayer. I could go on.....

Action Jackson?

I think of that as a movie taking place in another universe. It is just SO far afield, it seems like it knows it is a moron movie, and maybe even revels in it. I probably watch it as often as all STAR TREK flicks put together, maybe as much as BLADE RUNNER or SE7EN.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:10 am

Frost/Nixon

Decent enough movie, my attention torn between the 'interpretations' of Nixon and Frost and that of Rebecca Hall. No, wasn't bad compared to what followed next...

Star Trek XI

Needle nardle noo, ying tong iddle I po...lens flare/Enterprise/Nero/Uhura/Scotty etc

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 3:20 am

VIRIDIANA (1961)

One of my favorites by Bunuel. Love the "Last Supper" parody, along with the dancing to "Messiah". laugh

It'd be interesting to parallel the beginning of the film to VERTIGO, as well. Maybe I'll get bored enough to write something about it.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:03 pm

The Quiller Memorandum

top notch Cold War thriller set in Germany. Something about George Seagal that oozes coolness and a faint aroma of not caring less. Beyond Seagal the locations look great and all helped along by John Barry's score. Indeed, something about that score that words can't quite pin down.

then...

Jesse Stone: Stone Cold

first time I watched it since actually reading some of the books and more than before I appreciate Selleck's performance. I like the smalltown location (even if it's filmed in Halifax rather than upstate Mass. it's on the money), the writing and everything else.
Still rock Selleck as Magnum though.
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:40 pm

[REC] (2008)
directed by Jaume Balaguero and Paco Plaza

Disappointing, especially considering the lofty praise this film always receives. Essentially, it's your run-of-the-mill zombie flick in a POV format (which, let's face it, isn't exactly ground-breaking these days, either). Really, the film's unoriginal nature is what surprised me most about it. There's nothing new fresh, or even particularly frightening to be found here. In fact, the only unique idea that I saw was how the film attempted to fuse demonic possession with zombies, an idea that becomes apparent during the final act. But, that aspect is quickly abandoned (although, I understand that's an idea explored much more in the sequel).

Really, this isn't a bad film. It's an enjoyable way to kill a few hours if you can look past the cliches and irritating characters and see the film for what it is: A traditional, low-budget zombie flick
6/10

dr. strangelove's Halloween Movie Marathon
1. The Exorcist
2. Rosemary's Baby
3. Repulsion
4. [REC]

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:44 pm

I recommend BUG (William Friedkin). i actually prefer it the original EXORCIST, along with John Boorman's THE EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC.

Wonderful film.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 10:55 pm

Never saw E2: Heretic, but that music (Morricone?) is sufficiently silly to make me think I should track it down.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 11:16 pm

Sharky wrote:
I recommend BUG (William Friedkin). i actually prefer it the original EXORCIST, along with John Boorman's THE EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC.

Wonderful film.
Do you really prefer Boorman's film to Friedkin's original, Sharky?

If so, you've really jumped the shark.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 11:19 pm

Harmsway wrote:
Do you really prefer Boorman's film to Friedkin's original, Sharky?

Yep, I'm a big Boorman fan. Friedkins' never done much for me.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 11:24 pm

On the whole, I dig Boorman, too, but EXORCIST II is just wretched.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 EmptyWed Oct 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Harmsway wrote:
On the whole, I dig Boorman, too, but EXORCIST II is just wretched.

ZARDOZ is wretched, but EXORCIST II is a veritable masterpiece.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie you Watched?   Last Movie you Watched? - Page 18 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie you Watched?
Page 18 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next