More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Issue of Racism in America

Go down 
+27
Salomé
Largo's Shark
Gravity's Silhouette
Lazenby.
Fort Knox
Hilly
Blunt Instrument
Chief of SIS
Prisoner Monkeys
GeneralGogol
Control
TedHeath
FG Wells
CJB
Prince Kamal Khan
Loomis
Makeshift Python
colly
Jack Wade
Santa
Perilagu Khan
Vesper
j7wild
The White Tuxedo
bitchcraft
saint mark
tiffanywint
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next
AuthorMessage
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 7:14 pm

Jason Whitlock apologizes for his unfunny Jeremy Lin comment on Twitter

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/jason-whitlock-apologizes-unfunny-jeremy-lin-twitter-145934497.html

Some lucky lady in NYC is gonna feel a couple inches of pain tonight.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This story only merits attention because Jason Whitlock is "African-American" and the target of his racist stereotyping was Asian. Whitlock should be charged with "hate speech". I think the Asian Journalists Association will probably let him off with a slap on the wrist, unlike what happened to Rolly-Polly Martin with GLAAD last week.

In any event, I'm looking for Knicks games to watch so I can see this Lin kid in action; I hear he's exciting to watch and I don't even care about basketball. I would love to see Lin take the Knicks to a championship and win while LeBron has to settle for being runner-up yet again.

And to Lin I say: "I welcome our new Asian overlords."
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 7:41 pm

So Asians having small peenies is a "stereotype," eh? How does that guy know? At any rate, Retrokitty once posted info on peenie size by nation, and indeed, Asians demonstrated certain, shall we say, shortcomings. Bottom line, anytime somebody generalizes about a race or ethnicity (unless it's whitey), it just has to be a "stereotype." What nonsense.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 7:55 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 8:38 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
So Asians having small peenies is a "stereotype," eh? How does that guy know? At any rate, Retrokitty once posted info on peenie size by nation, and indeed, Asians demonstrated certain, shall we say, shortcomings. Bottom line, anytime somebody generalizes about a race or ethnicity (unless it's whitey), it just has to be a "stereotype." What nonsense.

The stereotype is out there. SOUTH PARK mocked the stereotype endlessly in an episode years ago (complete with Asian characters talking about Americans with "gargantuan penis"

Chelsea Handler always mocks Asian males and their penis size on her show, especially when Bobby Lee is on::

http://disgrasian.com/2010/03/chelsea-handler-makes-asian-small-penis-joke/

The study you mentioned confirmed that Asian males had the shortest average length when erect, but it wasn't really by that much. The problem was that the black men surveyed skewed the results; if you took them out of the sampling, Asian males wouldn't have been that far behind European/Caucasian males.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 8:57 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TedHeath
Cipher Clerk
TedHeath

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:51 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Idris Elba for Bond.
I honestly can't believe some people think he would be a good choice.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 9:58 pm

TedHeath wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Idris Elba for Bond.

I think Ambler was joking, but I'm not. If Bond is black, I quit the series.
Back to top Go down
TedHeath
Cipher Clerk
TedHeath

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:41 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
TedHeath wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Idris Elba for Bond.

I know Ambler was joking, but I've encountered people on other Bond forums (actually only one person, but still) that thinks Elba would be an ideal Bond after Craig leaves. I actually wouldn't put it past "new" EON to do it, even just for publicity. I would prefer the series to just end before casting a non-white actor as Bond.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:44 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
TedHeath wrote:
Erica Ambler wrote:
Idris Elba for Bond.

We agree on something. :affraid:
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyTue Feb 14, 2012 10:52 pm

Nothing to fear, whites can be blacks in this day and age, so it's possible to have a black Bond with the Aryan visage of Danny Craig.

Don't question it or I'll sue you.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 10:47 pm

In the U.S. it seems every day there is some new "race" story being reported on in the media. I'm suffering battle fatigue. I just don't know how much longer I can go on living in a society that is so politically correct that you literally cannot say one single thing anymore without the risk of it being considered offensive or "racist". This is just becoming exhausting.

"Whether intentional or not, ESPN’s since-deleted headline about Jeremy Lin was distressing"

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ball-dont-lie/whether-intentional-not-espn-since-deleted-headline-jeremy-192208429.html

The story referenced above is Kelly Dwyer's column on a headline last night on ESPN's website titled "Chink In The Armor" (regarding the New York Knicks loss). Kelly is afraid the word "chink" was a slur against Jeremy Lin, who is not Chinese (he is of Taiwanese descent) and was born in America, making him, like, "American", or something. Frankly, I can't even tell if Lin is offended or insulted; 99% of the "racist" banners in Madison Square Garden were just fans trying to show their love to their new basketball hero. Is Lin's picture next to a fortune cookie really deserving of a lengthy diatribe from sports writers? I am soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo sick of these elitist, politically correct writers telling the rest of us what to think and how to act.

There's also an 8-second video in that article of an ESPN anchor referring to the "chink" in the Knicks defense. No word yet on whether or not the anchor has been fired for using a common sports phrase that's been around since the beginning of time. I guess we're all going to have to quit using the word "chink" from now on, not because Lin will be offended (he won't, and doesn't care) but because we don't want to upset the delicate, pansy-assed, bed-wetting, frail, bleeding-heart, politically correct East Coast beat writers.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 11:22 pm

Conan didn't have any problem going all-out non pc. He dredged up every Asian stereotype he could think of in this sketch.laugh

Sportswriters can be some of the biggest knobs when it comes to sounding the pc alarm. It makes them feel like "real journalists" I guess. "

Hey just because I cover sports, doesn't mean I can't be a pc dick too - like you guys in the news department"
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 18, 2012 11:54 pm

That's exactly right, tiffy. Sportswriters are like professors at Oklahoma State University who desperately want to prove that they're fighting just as hard for the cause of so-called "social justice" as the professors at Berkeley and Harvard. Toward that end, they out-radical the radicals and out PC the politically correct.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:11 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
That's exactly right, tiffy. Sportswriters are like professors at Oklahoma State University who desperately want to prove that they're fighting just as hard for the cause of so-called "social justice" as the professors at Berkeley and Harvard. Toward that end, they out-radical the radicals and out PC the politically correct.

The spoof ad "He's only good driving to the hoops" would have been more appropriate with an old Asian lady than Jeremy Lin. The stereotype of bad Asian drivers only applies to females, as far as I am aware. I was in Beijing a little over two years ago and I actually closed my eyes on a return trip from The Great Wall and refused to look at the traffic because our driver would get so close to the bumper of the person in front of us that I swore he was going to crash at least 100 different times during the trip. And the drivers in China honk their horns constantly to the point where it's almost meaningless. And there really is no traffic lights there. I mean, there are lights, but they are completely disregarded. And you've got tens of thousands of cars sharing the same road and street with people on bicycles and those little three-wheeled taxis you saw in OCTOPUSSY. But somehow accidents seem to be a rarity over there.

Anyway...ESPN is one of the most politically correct media institutions out there, so I'm sure the "chink in the armor" was nothing more than an accident. However, the sports anchor must be "corrected", so I'm sure he'll be sent to a tolerance camp for re-edumication any day now:

Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 12:22 am

tiffanywint wrote:
Conan didn't have any problem going all-out non pc. He dredged up every Asian stereotype he could think of in this sketch.laugh

Sportswriters can be some of the biggest knobs when it comes to sounding the pc alarm. It makes them feel like "real journalists" I guess. "

Hey just because I cover sports, doesn't mean I can't be a pc dick too - like you guys in the news department"

Madison Square Garden, and its cable network, are now going to have to start referring to themselves as something other than "MSG", because that is insensitive towards Chinese people. :roll:

=====================================================================

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/10705736-419/is-jeremy-lin-a-victim-of-racist-stereotyping.html

Asian stereotyping has begun appearing in coverage of New York Knicks star guard Jeremy Lin, the NBA’s first American-born player of Chinese or Taiwanese descent.

CNBC’s Darren Rovell got it rolling Wednesday by questioning why MSG Network showed Lin’s face above a fortune cookie during coverage of the Knicks’ victory against the Sacramento Kings, with the words, “The Knicks good fortune.”

MSG put out a statement Thursday saying it had nothing to do with the image:

“What appeared briefly last night was not an MSG graphic, it was one of many fan signs in the arena.”

MSG declined to comment on why it telecast the image.

It’s a “tough call” whether MSG should, or could, be faulted for showing a fortune cookie sign created by a fan to TV viewers,” said Andrew Kang, senior staff attorney at the Asian-American Institute in Chicago.

“I would prefer maybe they didn’t show that -- although I could imagine people finding it humorous. But I think it does go to what people think when they think of Asians. They think of food. Because that is really their only point of contact, or awareness, with the Asian-American community.”

The New York Post took criticism for using the headline, “Amasian,” after Lin drilled the game-clinching three-pointer for the win at the Toronto Raptors on Tuesday.

During CBS’ The Late Show with David Letterman on Wednesday, Jon Stewart of Comedy Central mocked the headline, according to SportsBusiness Daily.

Stewart said: “It’d be like when Sandy Koufax threw a perfect game, you just wrote on there ‘JEWTIFUL!’ ... I feel like it’s very ‘Lin-sensitive.’”

Boxer Floyd Mayweather caused headlines this week by saying Lin is only getting a lot of attention “because he’s Asian.”

Columnist Jason Whitlock embarrassed Fox Sports with a tweet about Lin playing off Asian stereotypes. On that, the Asian American Journalists Association (AAJA) sent a letter to Whitlock that read, in part:

“The attempt at humor -- and we hope that is all it was -- fell flat. It also exposed how some media companies fail to adequately monitor the antics of their high-profile representatives. ... The offensive tweet debased one of sports’ feel-good moments, not just among Asian Americans but for so many others who are part of your audience.”

Whitlock apologized.

“In some ways, I’m grateful that it is coming out so we can talk about it and people can really start to challenge what are their pre-conceived notions about the Asian-American community or Asian-American athletes,” Kang said.

But Kang also sees “soft” racism in media debates about why Lin went unnoticed for so long by the basketball establishment and why he’s setting the NBA on fire now.

“You hear endless debates about: ‘How can this be happening? How can he be doing so well?’” Kang says.

“The very simple answer is he’s very talented, he was overlooked by scouts or they missed that one. What they really mean is: ‘How can an Asian-American be doing so well in the NBA?’.”
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 9:55 am

The "chink in armor" thing sounds more like a genuine mistake by the editor to me. It's a bit pathetic to consider the alternative being true. Why would the company knowingly put a racial slur on the front page of their website?
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 19, 2012 11:13 pm

Salomé wrote:
The "chink in armor" thing sounds more like a genuine mistake by the editor to me. It's a bit pathetic to consider the alternative being true. Why would the company knowingly put a racial slur on the front page of their website?

Well, the hammer has fallen. One person fired, another suspended for 30 days. The bizarre thing is that the one suspended for referring to the Knicks defense as having a "chink in the armor" has a Korean wife. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

The sad thing is, I didn't see anybody in the "Asian-American" community upset with the comments. It's these effete, limp-wristed, pussified, east coast elitist managers and sports columnists trying to out do one another when it comes to racial sensitivity. They can't even bring themselves to say that Lin is American. The article states he is "Chinese-American of Taiwanese descent". Why? So that the sports writers don't piss off the Chinese government, which considers Taiwan theirs. :roll: :roll: :roll: These columnists and editors will be the first people sucking up to the invading hordes and armies of outer space aliens or whomever else decides to invade the United States. God I just want to vomit!

Incidentally, today I watched my first basketball game in 17 years: The Knicks versus The Mavericks....and it's all because of Jeremy Lin.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.deadline.com/2012/02/espn-takes-action-against-pair-for-comments-about-knicks-star-jeremy-lin/#comment-2207820

The sports network today said it has fired one employee and suspended another for 30 days following separate inappropriate race-sensitive comments about New York Knicks guard Jeremy Lin. A third incident involving comments about Lin — who is Chinese-American, born of Taiwanese parents and was raised in Palo Alto, Calif. — occurred Friday on ESPN Radio New York but no action was taken because the commentator is not an employee.

After the Knicks lost to New Orleans on Friday — the team’s first defeat with Lin, a Harvard graduate and free-agent point guard, in the starting lineup — ESPN Mobile ran a story under the headline “Chink in the armor”. The headline was only up for a half hour or so, but the editor responsible for it was fired. On Wednesday, ESPNNews achor Max Bretos made the same comment during an interview. Bretos has been suspended for 30 days, according to a statement released today on the ESPN website.

“We again apologize, especially to Mr. Lin,” it reads in part. “His accomplishments are a source of great pride to the Asian-American community, including the Asian-American employees at ESPN. Through self-examination, improved editorial practices and controls, and response to constructive criticism, we will be better in the future.” Lin has been the talk of New York since his emergence, and even spurred Time Warner Cable and Knicks network MSG to resolve a 48-day carriage dispute that had kept the team — and Lin — off the airwaves in about 2.5 million homes in New York.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyMon Feb 20, 2012 5:57 am

I really don't care that these guys got fired and suspended, although firing does seem somewhat harsh. Using the derogatory "chink" in commentary about an Asian is just asking for trouble. These guys have to be smarter. The only defence is that they were writing to deadline and used the well-worn, tried and true "chink in the armour" descriptor, which has been used a zillion times before, in various sports contexts, but failed to connect that the lead figure in the story was indeed Asian. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. In both incidences it appears the editors and commentators were well aware of the connection. So at the very least, do you really want guys this dumb on your staff - that aren't smart enough, or just don't care enough, to see the problem with this kind of writing or commentary.

On the otherhand the fortune cookie thing I thought was fine. It was funny and inoffensive. Playing up such ethnic caricatures IMO is harmless, and most Asians wouldn't care, but I don't think most Asians like being called chinks.

Mind you the pc crowd (which is morally and socially superior to the rest of us) do make it their daily business to tell us what we should be offended by. It's a heavy burden they shoulder. Just ask them.

But the chink in their armour is obvious. In plain language, they are simply "dicks." They suffer that handicap.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 6:42 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
I really don't care that these guys got fired and suspended, although firing does seem somewhat harsh. Using the derogatory "chink" in commentary about an Asian is just asking for trouble. These guys have to be smarter. The only defence is that they were writing to deadline and used the well-worn, tried and true "chink in the armour" descriptor, which has been used a zillion times before, in various sports contexts, but failed to connect that the lead figure in the story was indeed Asian. But that doesn't seem to be the case here. In both incidences it appears the editors and commentators were well aware of the connection. So at the very least, do you really want guys this dumb on your staff - that aren't smart enough, or just don't care enough, to see the problem with this kind of writing or commentary.

On the otherhand the fortune cookie thing I thought was fine. It was funny and inoffensive. Playing up such ethnic caricatures IMO is harmless, and most Asians wouldn't care, but I don't think most Asians like being called chinks.

Mind you the pc crowd (which is morally and socially superior to the rest of us) do make it their daily business to tell us what we should be offended by. It's a heavy burden they shoulder. Just ask them.

But the chink in their armour is obvious. In plain language, they are simply "dicks." They suffer that handicap.

Well, the AAJA has released new "guidelines" to help reporters, er, uh, report on Jeremy Lin:

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/cutline/asian-american-journalists-association-releases-guidelines-jeremy-lin-155822233.html

Among the nuggets of wisdom found in the article:
AAJA urged caution "when discussing Lin's physical characteristics, particularly those that feminize/emasculate the Asian male (Cinderella-story angles should not place Lin in a dress). Discussion of genetic differences in athletic ability among races should be avoided. In referring to Lin's height or vision, be mindful of the context and avoid invoking stereotypes about Asians."

and

DRIVING: This is part of the sport of basketball, but resist the temptation to refer to an "Asian who knows how to drive."

and

MARTIAL ARTS: You're writing about a basketball player. Don't conflate his skills with judo, karate, tae kwon do, etc. Do not refer to Lin as "Grasshopper" or similar names associated with martial-arts stereotypes.

I guess "wax on, wax off" would probably be inappropriate as well. tongue
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 5:21 am

Guidelines for morons. Very nice, but the reality of professional media, is that its not a teaching environment. Programmers reserve the right to simply fire writers, editors, commentators etc that need supervision, and work with people with the right instincts, that don't need their hand held. It's a survival-of-the-fittest business. That's the private broadcast sector.

Public broadcasters naturally have several layers of bureaucracy to educate, review and naval gaze all performance issues. They've got lots of tax money to waste.

Last edited by tiffanywint on Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySat Feb 25, 2012 5:23 am

The AAJA has become a laughing stock. It's releasing rules for phrases nobody has even used.

Excuse me while I ignore its bullsh*t.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Ben & Jerry's Apologize for Racist Frozen Yogurt

The Company had begun selling a Jeremy Lin-inspired frozen yogurt called "Taste The Linsanity". The yogurt included delicious chunks of fortune cookies, but have since been replaced with waffle cones. :roll:

For some of the most insensitive, offensive, racist, and hilarious suggested flavors for new ice cream and yogurt, go to the comments section at the link below before someone at ESPN.com deletes them (I'll provide a few samples for good measure):

LeBron James Ice Cream: You'll choke at the end
Ben Roethisberger Ice Cream: C'mon, Baby, You Know You Want It.
Marshawn Lynch Ice Cream: Chocolate ice cream with Skittles and strands of nappy hair.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/7617213/new-york-knicks-jeremy-lin-ben-jerry-apologizes-lin-sanity-flavor

"We are proud and honored to have Jeremy Lin hail from one of our fine, local universities and we are huge sports fans," Ben & Jerry's said in the news release. "Our intention was to create a flavor to honor Jeremy Lin's accomplishments and his meteoric rise in the NBA, and recognize that he was a local Harvard graduate.

"We try (to) demonstrate our commitment as a Boston-based, valued-led business and if we failed in this instance we offer our sincere apologies
."

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:08 pm

Give me a fucking break... laugh
Back to top Go down
GeneralGogol
Q Branch
Q Branch
GeneralGogol

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 9:48 pm

A good Russian ice cream:

The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 Obama1
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 EmptySun Feb 26, 2012 11:19 pm

GeneralGogol wrote:
A good Russian ice cream:

The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 Obama1

You can taste the Socialism in every scoop. And there's no nuts in Obama Ice Cream, so people with allergies don't have to worry.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Issue of Racism in America   The Issue of Racism in America - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Issue of Racism in America
Page 4 of 22Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13 ... 22  Next