More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

London Olympics 2012

Go down 
+24
Vesper
Louis Armstrong
bondfan06
The White Tuxedo
AMC Hornet
Walecs
HJackson
Jack Wade
Blunt Instrument
Control
Ravenstone
Prisoner Monkeys
right idea, wrong pussy
CJB
tiffanywint
bitchcraft
jet set willy
Largo's Shark
Harmsway
j7wild
Loomis
saint mark
Hilly
Gravity's Silhouette
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 Empty
PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:43 pm

"Survival" is Queen without Freddie Mercury's wit, who for all his theatrics never himself as seriously as Matt Bellamy does. He needs to get his head out of his arse and smile more.

Don't get me started on the lyrics.

"I’ll keep up the pace
And I’ll reveal my strength
To the whole human race
Yes I am prepared
To stay alive
I won’t forgive, the vengeance is mine
And I won’t give in
Because I choose to thrive"

London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 Springtime-for-hitler-dance_o_GIFSoupcom
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:49 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:
[
Was it, though? I guess that's for them to decide. When I think of England I never think of pop culture, music, or fashion. I would like to think that if I had been the director in charge of putting on these shows I would have come up with something loftier than The Spice Girls.

Okay, I may be being a bit picky here, but there is a difference between England and Britain. It wasn't England who were competing at the Olympics, but Britain. Call Andy Murray English, and you'll be picking tennis balls out of your arse for the forseeable future.

And when it comes to being British, you have to remember everything, and try to avoid the parts where it's England -v- Scotland, or Wales, or Northern Ireland, or sometimes all three at once.

So the Scottish Annie Lennox arriving with Irish Bram Stoker overtones of Dracula - yes, that's British.

And can-can dancing Roman soldiers is going to be pretty difficult for anyone to beat. I can't think of any other country in the world where that would make any sense whatsoever.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 8:52 pm

Ravenstone wrote:

And can-can dancing Roman soldiers is going to be pretty difficult for anyone to beat. I can't think of any other country in the world where that would make any sense whatsoever.

Italy. One of Berlusconi's bunga-bunga parties perhaps.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:02 pm

Ravenstone wrote:

Was it, though? I guess that's for them to decide. When I think of England I never think of pop culture, music, or fashion. I would like to think that if I had been the director in charge of putting on these shows I would have come up with something loftier than The Spice Girls.

Okay, I may be being a bit picky here, but there is a difference between England and Britain. It wasn't England who were competing at the Olympics, but Britain. Call Andy Murray English, and you'll be picking tennis balls out of your arse for the forseeable future.

Where was Edina Monsoon and Patsy Stone during the Olympics? If you're going to give Russell Bland a prime viewing slot, why not actually include two characters that people love and care about? Would've been much cooler to see Patsy and Edina accidentally snuff out the Olympic flame while drunkenly stumbling around the stadium in an alcoholic haze.

Where was David Brent or The Dowager Countess of Grantham? I mean, I could come up with a dozen more iconic, British people worthy of attention and adulation than The Spice Girls or One Direction. I wonder who those kids from One Direction had to screw to get on that stage.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:11 pm

Well I had to Google Edina and Patsy, so that should tell you something there. Russell Brand, love him or loathe him (and he gets very rich either way) is at least current.

I have no idea who David Brent is either.

As for the bitch Thatcher, I only ever want to see her with a stake through where her heart should be. If she'd turned up, there would have been a riot. I think you underestimate how widely hated the creature is. Besides which, she's completely off her trolley and unfit to be seen in public. If it comes to matters of worth and adulation, I'd rather have the Spice Girls thank you so much.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:13 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
Well I had to Google Edina and Patsy, so that should tell you something there. Russell Brand, love him or loathe him (and he gets very rich either way) is at least current.

As for the bitch Thatcher, I only ever want to see her with a stake through where her heart should be. If she'd turned up, there would have been a riot. I think you underestimate how widely hated the creature is. Besides which, she's completely off her trolley and unfit to be seen in public. If it comes to matters of worth and adulation, I'd rather have the Spice Girls thank you so much.

I'm sure she's oblivious to the vile as it is nowadays. Blissfully unaware even. Wouldn't have looked good if the Argies and the Irish got bolshie last night.

No, as PM's go...Churchill. 'cause, putting Chamberlain, Baldwin and Attlee might've just looked bewildering.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:16 pm

Ravenstone wrote:

Huh? You must have me confused with someone else. I didn't mention Margaret Thatcher (though I did like her, especially that cameo she did in FYEO; showed she didn't take herself too seriously).
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

especially that cameo she did in FYEO; showed she didn't take herself too seriously.

Please tell me you're joking?

What other Duchess of Grantham did you mean then?
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:41 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
especially that cameo she did in FYEO; showed she didn't take herself too seriously.

Downton Abbey.

If Thatcher has any official title it's Baroness.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:43 pm

Grantham only means her to me.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Ravenstone wrote:
Grantham only means her to me.

like a line from a Bond film. Can imagine Bond saying it in that simple stony way that Craig does.

"just someplace in Lincolnshire"
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:48 pm

Ravenstone wrote:

Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Wow!

Even the prices of fast food is higher in the UK!

No 99 cents menu?

I can get a double meat bacon cheeseburger here for 99 cents!

London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 6d0f88205820213
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:06 pm

Hilly wrote:
Ravenstone wrote:

Downton Abbey.

laugh I apologize. It's just...from the way Ravenstone spoke about the differences between Britain and England I thought she was either an Anglophile or she actually lived over there. So when I rattled off names like David Brent, Edina Monsoon, Patsy Stone and the Dowager Countess of Grantham, I naturally expected Ravenstone knew all those characters and was familiar with the names. So I was somewhat taken aback when she had to Google Patsy and Edina, but then got totally confused when she started criticizing Margaret Thatcher as if I had brought up The Iron Lady.

What other Dowager Countess of Grantham is there? I started to take notice of Downton Abbey when it became the topic of conversation on just about every talk show and magazine over here in the U.S. earlier this year. Even Stephen Colbert recently joked about Mitt Romney's horse competing in the 2012 Olympics: "No surprise the liberal critics call dressage elitist. Just because the uniform makes you look like Lady Mary's suitor from "Downton Abbey.""

You know a show is hot when Colbert is having fun with. I just assumed everyone knew what Downton Abbey is, and who the Dowager Countess of Grantham is. I'm afraid Ravenstone may have accidentally exposed her Labor Party leanings.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:07 pm

Hilly wrote:
Ravenstone wrote:

Downton Abbey.

laugh I apologize. It's just...from the way Ravenstone spoke about the differences between Britain and England I thought she was either an Anglophile or she actually lived over there. So when I rattled off names like David Brent, Edina Monsoon, Patsy Stone and the Dowager Countess of Grantham, I naturally expected Ravenstone knew all those characters and was familiar with the names. So I was somewhat taken aback when she had to Google Patsy and Edina, but then got totally confused when she started criticizing Margaret Thatcher as if I had brought up The Iron Lady.

What other Dowager Countess of Grantham is there? I started to take notice of Downton Abbey when it became the topic of conversation on just about every talk show and magazine over here in the U.S. earlier this year. Even Stephen Colbert recently joked about Mitt Romney's horse competing in the 2012 Olympics: "No surprise the liberal critics call dressage elitist. Just because the uniform makes you look like Lady Mary's suitor from "Downton Abbey.""

You know a show is hot when Colbert is having fun with. I just assumed everyone knew what Downton Abbey is, and who the Dowager Countess of Grantham is. I'm afraid Ravenstone may have accidentally exposed her Labor Party leanings.

funnily there is no actual Duchess of Grantham. It's fictional. Maggie Smith is not.

Exposing Labour Party leanings, well as the chap once said, ooh nasty.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:10 pm

Control wrote:

I totally used a Chris Finchy line from the show last week at my own office. I only used it on someone who I knew I could get away with it. Lady at work bent down on the floor to pick up a package and my exact words were: "Since you're down there love...." and she exploded in laughter.

The Office should be mandatory viewing for all people in management positions. The U.K. version is my favorite, but the U.S. version has some great moments as well. I've got all series and all seasons on dvd.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:12 pm

Hilly wrote:

funnily there is no actual Duchess of Grantham. It's fictional. Maggie Smith is not.

Now THERE is a national treasure. And Judi Dench. Why did these two great actresses of stage and screen not get any face time during the Olympics? Not bitter. Just can't imagine a world where One Direction and Russell Brand are held us as wothy cultural exports but Dame Maggie and Dame Judi are not. Ugh.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:16 pm

Hilly wrote:

Now THERE is a national treasure. And Judi Dench. Why did these two great actresses of stage and screen not get any face time during the Olympics? Not bitter. Just can't imagine a world where One Direction and Russell Brand are held us as wothy cultural exports but Dame Maggie and Dame Judi are not. Ugh.

I imagine they had their commitments. I understand Dame Maggie is not in the best of health so maybe in between filming she's rested or some such. There's much that could've been done or shown at the ceremony. Clearly organisers went elsewhere.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 pm

Hilly wrote:

One answer:

Yoof.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:23 pm

I do actually live over here. I just don't watch television which doesn't interest me.

Quote :

I'm afraid Ravenstone may have accidentally exposed her Labor Party leanings.

I didn't think that was a surprise to anyone, although one doesn't have to have anything to do with Labour to despise Thatcher. Just have to have suffered through her policies during the 80s and beyond.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:53 pm

Ravenstone wrote:

I do actually live over here. I just don't watch television which doesn't interest me.

So basically I watch more British television than someone who actually lives in Britain. I've watched COUPLING, Downton Abbey, Extras, The Office, Absolutely Fabulous, plus a couple others whose name I can't think of immediately. There was one about a quirky girl and an average guy and they meet in a small town, fall in love immediately, want to get married, and then I think they live with one of their parents. Damn! I can't remember the name. It's probably in my Netflix que still but I don't want to look it up.

Quote :

I didn't think that was a surprise to anyone, although one doesn't have to have anything to do with Labour to despise Thatcher. Just have to have suffered through her policies during the 80s and beyond.

It was to me. I thought you were a staunch conservative member of the Tories, whose sympathy votes we could use to get Romney-Ryan elected here in the U.S. in 2012. Please say you'll attend my Romney-Ryan online chat/fund-raiser in the Baker Street Pub in a few weeks! I'll pencil you in as a definite maybe.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:33 am

What be 'O Mighty Harms's thoughts on the closing ceremony? Better? Worse?
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:48 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
What be 'O Mighty Harms's thoughts on the closing ceremony? Better? Worse?
I didn't see it.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:55 am

London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 Okay-face
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 EmptyWed Aug 15, 2012 12:58 am

Sorry. If it's any consolation, I did regret not watching it after I saw this.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: London Olympics 2012   London Olympics 2012 - Page 11 Empty

Back to top Go down

London Olympics 2012
Page 11 of 13Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12, 13  Next