More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched? 7.0

Go down 
+34
Santa
GeneralGogol
saint mark
Toppers
hegottheboot
Lazenby.
Ravenstone
Fairbairn-Sykes
Loomis
dr. strangelove
Gravity's Silhouette
trevanian
j7wild
Vesper
Salomé
Seve
bitchcraft
HJackson
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Makeshift Python
Largo's Shark
Blunt Instrument
Drax
FourDot
tiffanywint
CJB
Control
lachesis
Jack Wade
Hilly
Prince Kamal Khan
Manhunter
Harmsway
The White Tuxedo
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 4:59 am

Hilly wrote:
Secret of my Success

a film so 80's it makes John Hughes' output seem Shakespearian. Or some guff. I honestly watched for Richard Jordan and it's surprising he did this film saying he didn't seem to be one for doing films for the sake of it. Maybe he needed a swimming pool. Indeed, lookout, there's Fred Gwynne though curiously my thought of his heyday flashed to his appearance as "The Stomach" in Bilko.
Jordan gave his all which is what he always did and funnily I want to check out The Friends of Eddie Coyle etc.
You know I entertain the notion of this Raise the Titanic remake and thinking of someone 'plain enough' or such guff for Pitt I now think of Ron Livingston. It's I hope a better plain than my Siddig/Batman suggestion.

look squirrel.

Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EddieCoyle01

When I want to watch Richard Jordan act, I pick Logan's Run and Rooster Cogburn.

As for me, I saw the best new film I've seen in a cinema this year:

Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 2016-obama-s-america01

A fascinating documentary from the brilliant Dinesh D'Souza. While its views definitely lean to the right, it's actually much fairer and even-sided that one might think and a must-see for both critics and supporters of the President alike.

Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 5:18 am

I imagine it was better than that propaganda piece, THE ROAD WE'VE TRAVELED.

Back to top Go down
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 1:44 pm

Control wrote:
I imagine it was better than that propaganda piece, THE ROAD WE'VE TRAVELED.

Not familiar with that one. Here's a couple of websites affiliated with the film:

http://2016themovie.com/

http://www.dineshdsouza.com/

The interview D'Souza had with Obama's half-brother George was particularly interesting.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 6:29 pm

The Naked Spur (1953)

Generally said to be the best of the Mann/Stewart westerns. Maybe it is, these films blur together for me. I don't think any one of them would be in my Top 10 list of westerns, but as a group of films they're really great.

I like that this one has only five people, plus some misc. Indian pistol fodder.
Back to top Go down
HJackson
'R'
'R'
HJackson

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:00 pm

NAKED SPUR is the only one I haven't seen in that cycle, but MAN FROM LARAMIE is my favourite of the rest. The more I seen of Mann, the more I like him. Even T-MEN, with its crappy narration (and in the wretched condition I saw it), was sublime. I have DEVIL'S DOORWAY ready to watch soon. I've heard it's interesting.
Back to top Go down
Manhunter
'R'
'R'
Manhunter

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:06 pm

Mission to Mars

A wonderful film overall, and thankfully straight. No gunning of aliens, but rather a philosophical approach to the subject. Great visuals, fine score, and some really moving sequences (unseen in a De Palma film so far). No wonder Armond loves it,
Spoiler:

CARRIE
BLOW OUT
OBSESSION
CARLITO'S WAY
MISSION TO MARS
PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE
THE BLACK DAHLIA
RAISING CAIN
SISTERS
FEMME FATALE
THE UNTOUCHABLES
SCARFACE
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE
CASUALTIES OF WAR
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:15 pm

Glad to see I'm not the only here who loves MISSION TO MARS.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 7:39 pm

HJackson wrote:
NAKED SPUR is the only one I haven't seen in that cycle, but MAN FROM LARAMIE is my favourite of the rest. The more I seen of Mann, the more I like him. Even T-MEN, with its crappy narration (and in the wretched condition I saw it), was sublime. I have DEVIL'S DOORWAY ready to watch soon. I've heard it's interesting.

I'd like to see DEVIL'S DOORWAY, but the DVD is pricey here. One of those Warner Archive DVDs.

Interesting, THE MAN FROM LARAMIE might be my least favorite. Spawned an amusing song, though.

A better Mann western-inspired song:

Gonna see the "Ranown cycle" soon, too. I've seen two of them, I think.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:04 pm

Prince Kamal Khan wrote:

look squirrel.

Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EddieCoyle01

When I want to watch Richard Jordan act, I pick Logan's Run and Rooster Cogburn.

Haven't seen Cogburn in ages but yes Logan's but I'd add Gettysburg and Red October. Maybe even Raise the Titanic.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Up in the Air

second viewing, the first I quite liked but this time just dulled me. Even the presence, albeit brief, of Sam Elliot and Anna Kendrick to some vague point did nothing much. Part of me thinks in some weird way it could've worked as a lightish 70s movie with Jack Klugman, a bitchin' soundtrack, Don Rickles and something.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 9:38 pm

Looks like 1100 replies is the limit for these threads.

EDIT-First post edited with links to past threads.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:21 pm

Hilly wrote:
Up in the Air

second viewing, the first I quite liked but this time just dulled me. Even the presence, albeit brief, of Sam Elliot and Anna Kendrick to some vague point did nothing much. Part of me thinks in some weird way it could've worked as a lightish 70s movie with Jack Klugman, a bitchin' soundtrack, Don Rickles and something.

Yes, exactly what I thought. "This needs Klugman." laugh

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (2011)

I enjoyed the first one, even if Holmes is transformed into a misfit ninja, but this one lost me halfway through. It also went overboard on the bullet time. The first film seemed to strike the right balance, but this one... I'd say probably too action-focused. The first one had a plot one could follow.

I liked Jared Harris. I wish Rachel McAdams had been in more of the film. Noomi Repace didn't make an impression. Kelly Reilly did make an impression, in my pants.

I'd give a third one a chance, but...

Spoiler:

Doesn't sound promising.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:47 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Hilly wrote:
Up in the Air

Yes, exactly what I thought. "This needs Klugman." laugh

facepalm my man, facepalm.

It's funny how the mind works. All this jetsetting, stick it in the 70s around the time the old buzzard was doing Quincy or indeed any actor of the time, make it a downright comedy rather than some Charlie Kaufman type etc film.

I mean it's not like I have a Star Trek series idea or something. Just a bit of random fun. :*sm*:
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:49 pm

What UP IN THE AIR needed was George Kennedy.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyTue Aug 07, 2012 11:50 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
What UP IN THE AIR needed was George Kennedy.

That's the one.

Even present day barely acting Kennedy would've been a bonus.

What a depressing movie. And that was just Airport '77
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 1:31 am

Vera Farmiga's a plus. Kendrick I found irritating.

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934)

Comparing it to the remake? Well, the suspense sequences in '56 are much more polished. Several plot elements are better handled. '56 has an infinitely superior finale than '34's rather pedestrian shoot-out.

I do like the energy of '34 more than '56 in some ways. '56 has a dry patch for me once they hit London and Stewart searches for Ambrose Chapel. I wish the dentist sequence had survived to the remake. Hitch would have stretched it out (along with other scenes) and done it better in '56.

But '34 has Lorre. '56 lacks a good villain. Bernard Miles is a bit of a snooze to me. Of course, that helps to keep the audience off his scent before the son is kidnapped, but I think it hurts the film later. Not sure who would have been right for the part, though. Someone very kindly, who could then be very sinister whilst maintaining a kindly manner.

The two films equal out for me. '56 is more polished and the Hitchcock Touch is more dexterous, but I can't judge '34 too harshly because Hitch wasn't as experienced, and for 1934 this must have been the bee's knees. At least his next film would be a giant step up.

I watched this on a five dollar Hitch set with his public domain stuff. I wish Criterion would make a set of some of these films that are hard to come by in good releases.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 7:41 am

Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (2011)

Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Tinker-tailor-glossary-460x307

Really enjoyed this. Actually aching to give it another watch (though I'm thinking of giving THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD a rewatch tomorrow morning). Oldman and Hurt steal the show, but the rest of the cast is just fine. As far as spy films go, this is probably one of the best.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 8:31 am

Sorcerer (1977)

I can see why this wasn't a massive hit at the time, but it's a shame that what is essentially a very good movie meant the beginning of the end of Friedkin's career. He wasn't helped by the fact that Star Wars was released around the same time, of course. I get the feeling that had he released it a year earlier with a more bankable lead, it could have been another triumph for him.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 5:19 pm

The Far Country (1954)

The most enjoyable of the Mann/Stewart westerns to me. And it's great to see it in widescreen as opposed to open matte. It looks better and is just a slightly better movie.

John McIntire totally owns in this movie. He's based on a guy named Soapy Smith, whose life deserves a movie. I think a couple have been made.
Back to top Go down
Manhunter
'R'
'R'
Manhunter

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyWed Aug 08, 2012 9:13 pm

Lili Marleen

The use of set design, lighting, camera in all form or shape, music, and editing are nothing short of brilliant. The story about the song which the Nazis used to bemuse their own soldiers, also a love story between a female German singer and a Jewish composer and conductor, is well written and told with a controlled ironic undertone that precludes melodrama.
The male lead's face seemd familiar to me, until I realized it belonged to a young Mathis. Gottfried John has a role, too. The acting is fine by all involved, Schygulla and Giannini in particular. The ironic counterpointing of the music and amusement scenes, as well as the romance, with the raging war works very well. Sets, lighting, and other aforementioned elements and techniques perfectly accompany story, character mood/state of mind etc. This the fourth Fassbinder movie I've seen is immediately one of my absolute favourites of all time.
I could marvel at every single shot of the film for a long time, and the whole moving beast looks gorgeous as well.

I am not sure as to how many pictures I am allowed to post here, especially in one single post, of one single film, (or two consecutive posts), but I like them so much I'll just start with some:

Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm7z.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm16x.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm21.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm20.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm28.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm9o.th
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm56.th
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm57.th
Guess who is in the room with the glistening light, usually used to indicate divinity - isn't it ironic?
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm61.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm73.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm99.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm100h.th
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm106.th
Udo Kier!
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm109.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm117.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm128.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm129.th
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm131.th
The film features sinister characters...
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm132.th
...danger...
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm146.th
...sex...
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm152.th
...explosions...
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm156.th
...guns...
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm158.th
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm166.th
...Fassbinder...
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm173.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm182.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm183.th
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm101.th
...mirror images...
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm184.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm191.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm193.thLast Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm195.th
Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Lm200.th
.. and last, but not least...
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 3:53 am

Midnight in Paris (2011)

I uploaded a video to the YouTubes to convey my thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAEReoNNMGo

Still not as bad as WES ANDERSON'S 9/11.

Ranking the Best Picture nominees I've seen...

1. THE DESCENDANTS
2. THE ARTIST
3. THE HELP
4. MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
4. EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE

At least THE HELP had Viola Davis and a couple good performances to make up for being a shameless White Guilt Trip. And I actually liked THE DESCENDANTS pretty well.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 5:30 am

I'm currently watching GILDA.

Hayworth was unbelievable. What a woman.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 5:37 am

My ranking of the 2011 noms, at least of the ones I actually saw.

1. THE DESCENDANTS
2. WAR HORSE
3. HUGO
4. MONEYBALL
5. THE HELP
6. MIDNIGHT IN PARIS

I think Sharky and I are the only two here that liked WAR HORSE. I know I'm the only one that enjoyed HUGO (I dunno, it just worked for me, and the 3D was pretty nifty in theaters). MONEYBALL is mostly elevated by Brad Pitt.

In my opinion THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO and TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY should have gotten noms, they would have topped my list.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 10:24 am

Quote :
I think Sharky and I are the only two here that liked WAR HORSE.

I don't think anyone else here has seen WAR WHORES.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 EmptyThu Aug 09, 2012 11:14 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Midnight in Paris (2011)

I uploaded a video to the YouTubes to convey my thoughts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAEReoNNMGo

Still not as bad as WES ANDERSON'S 9/11.

4. EXTREMELY LOUD AND INCREDIBLY CLOSE

it's like a Carry On, it has about four if not more alternative titles.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched? 7.0   Last Movie You Watched? 7.0 - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched? 7.0
Page 5 of 40Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 22 ... 40  Next