More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Battlestar Galactica

Go down 
+5
Largo's Shark
Hilly
Fairbairn-Sykes
Makeshift Python
The White Tuxedo
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Battlestar Galactica Empty
PostSubject: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 1:55 am

Battlestar Galactica 193171_std

Last edited by The White Tuxedo on Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 3:21 am

After watching some of the pilot, I think I'm just gonna watch the final five episodes. Having seen them, I can watch the whole series through at some point in the future. It's just not as rewatchable to me as BSG.

Still, I so wish I could make a Superman trilogy with Eric Stoltz as Lex Luthor.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 9:01 am

I still haven't forgiven Ron Moore for S3 and S4 of BSG so haven't bothered with Caprica.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:02 pm

I takes a few episodes to get going, but becomes pretty interesting.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyFri Mar 18, 2011 7:09 pm

I still haven't seen some episodes before the final five. The whole news of it being canceled left me too gutted to continue watching it. I even deleted all the HD downloads for my PS3 (I also needed space too). I might get around to rewatching the whole thing and seeing the remaining episodes in the future.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:23 am

I'm watching the Final Five. Down to the Final One.

"Here Be Dragons" was pretty damn good. I'm so pissed this show got cancelled. How many hundreds of episodes of CSI have been made? And we only get 18 episodes of CAPRICA?

People are fucking stupid and they like watching stupid shit. And it fucking pisses me off.

Spoiler:

Oh yeah, they mentioned Cottle! :pirat:
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 8:26 am

Just finished CAPRICA.

Fuck you, Syfy. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you.

The last five minutes really give a glimpse of what could have been... 😢 :x 😢 :x 😢

Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:34 pm

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Just finished CAPRICA.

Fuck you, Syfy. Fuck you. Fuck you. Fuck you.

The last five minutes really give a glimpse of what could have been... 😢 :x 😢 :x 😢

I know what you mean. It's really frustrating to sit through the 18 episodes of bullshit to get to those good five minutes though. It's like the writers forgot how to tell a concise story. It's like Twin Peaks -- you're flabbergasted at how good the finale is when the last few episodes before that are so god-awful.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 4:38 pm

At risk of sending even more stupid, Tux, do I take by the sub-title of the thread that this is all versions of Galactica? Galactica '80 in the thing too...

If so I'll blitz the thread with my BSG guide. Only kidding. Maybe some picture of Anne Lockhart but not in a j7 way.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 6:11 pm

It's the whole frakkin BSG universe in one thread. :)

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I know what you mean. It's really frustrating to sit through the 18 episodes of bullshit to get to those good five minutes though. It's like the writers forgot how to tell a concise story. It's like Twin Peaks -- you're flabbergasted at how good the finale is when the last few episodes before that are so god-awful.

I just think the show is too slow. It takes a long time to get nowhere. I tend to enjoy it the first time, but not so much the second. They needed to cover more ground and faster. And, as with S3 and S4 of BSG, I would have prefered less focus on religion and more focus on science.

I don't mind the religious warfare thing. I mind that a)the whole frakkin thing became about religion, and b)they made the One True God real in the end anyway. So I'm still scratching my head about whether or not the nuclear holocaust is supposed to be seen a necessary thing. Gods know the writers seem to go out of their way to present a civilization that "deserved" to be wiped out. Ya know, cuz they had strip clubs and evil science.

In the end I find that quite troubling. I like my SF agnostic. Gimme science stories; they're more fun anyway than creepy pseudo-mysticism.

EDIT ADDON: It's not the show should have covered more ground faster, but different ground at the same speed. BSG and CAPRICA have always been about people. It was never so much science fiction, but it had a SF backdrop. Starting with BSG S3, the backdrop became more and more religious. And then the foreground did too. And I'm tired of it.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 11:32 pm

My big issue was that they made a show about killer robots, then for a good CHUNK of episodes (most of Season 1.5) they forgot all about the killer robots.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:30 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
My big issue was that they made a show about killer robots, then for a good CHUNK of episodes (most of Season 1.5) they forgot all about the killer robots.

And we get this mishmash of genre cliches. Just from other genres.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 12:40 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

Again, it felt like Twin Peaks in that there was a lot of various storylines that, as the show went on, had less and less to do with each other -- and if you didn't like a storyline then you were bored to tears during the ten to fifteen minutes of screentime it might have in that particular episode.

The other big problem was that individual episodes lacked focus. Look at Season 4 of BSG -- there were always tons of storylines going on simultaneously, but usually a single episode would pick ONE to focus on, and give the others maybe a scene each, sometimes leaving a few not even covered that week. Caprica seemed to give every single storyline equal focus each week -- it made 45 minute episodes drag on forever and killed dramatic momentum at every turn -- remember the New Cap City fight between Zoe and Tamara that probably lasted fifteen minutes in real time? Yet because it was constantly intercut with all the other storylines seemed to take place over DAYS! It was a fight scene, a single fight scene, dragged on over the length of a forty minute episode!
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 1:31 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:

Again, it felt like Twin Peaks in that there was a lot of various storylines that, as the show went on, had less and less to do with each other -- and if you didn't like a storyline then you were bored to tears during the ten to fifteen minutes of screentime it might have in that particular episode.

The other big problem was that individual episodes lacked focus. Look at Season 4 of BSG -- there were always tons of storylines going on simultaneously, but usually a single episode would pick ONE to focus on, and give the others maybe a scene each, sometimes leaving a few not even covered that week. Caprica seemed to give every single storyline equal focus each week -- it made 45 minute episodes drag on forever and killed dramatic momentum at every turn -- remember the New Cap City fight between Zoe and Tamara that probably lasted fifteen minutes in real time? Yet because it was constantly intercut with all the other storylines seemed to take place over DAYS! It was a fight scene, a single fight scene, dragged on over the length of a forty minute episode!

I picked up on that too. If you told me something that happened I'd never remember what episode it happened in. It's like a 13 1/2 hour movie. laugh

I do feel the show resolved itself better than I had expected. I didn't have any idea what the ending would be as I avoided spoilers. It tells a fairly self-contained story. There are some question marks, such as Durham's fate.

One thing really annoyed me. Lacy says to the killer robots, "We've got work to do." Or something to that effect. And then... nothing. We never see her again, until the epilogue. And what are Lacy's loyalties?

Oh yeah, Clarice wasn't arrested?

Ya know what I was thinking of when watching CAPRICA last night? That maybe instead of a new ROBOCOP movie, do a miniseries. In the right hands, it could work. Like 10 episodes. Do a nice arc. It was the robots and corporate settings that put the thought in my head. Ditch the overt satire, as most filmmakers would frak it up anyway, and focus on the story of man and machine. Ditch the overt satire, but keep it subversive.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 1:48 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:

One thing really annoyed me. Lacy says to the killer robots, "We've got work to do." Or something to that effect. And then... nothing. We never see her again, until the epilogue. And what are Lacy's loyalties?

Yeah, that REALLY pissed me off. I wanted to see Lacy and the Cylons FRAKKIN' UP Megan Tily's day. Seriously. Bitch.

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Ya know what I was thinking of when watching CAPRICA last night? That maybe instead of a new ROBOCOP movie, do a miniseries. In the right hands, it could work. Like 10 episodes. Do a nice arc. It was the robots and corporate settings that put the thought in my head. Ditch the overt satire, as most filmmakers would frak it up anyway, and focus on the story of man and machine. Ditch the overt satire, but keep it subversive.

They tried that, actually -- show called "RoboCop: Prime Directives" -- it sorta follows on from the first movie and TV show continuities. It takes place ten years after the first movie, does some nods to the TV show, and ignores movies 2 & 3.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:03 am

All of this stuff is on Netflix Instant. I think I'm gonna do a Robothon. I like the first film, and I have the Criterion DVD in addition to the old standard one. I always watch the Criterion, though. For the extra blood. I think that's the only difference beyond aspect ratios.

Maybe I'll actually make it through 2 and 3 this time. laugh Saw 3 when it came out. Maybe I'll start a RoboCop thread in the Multiplex.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:13 am

According to Netflix it's been just about five years to the day that I rented RC2. I had sent it back after watching only a little. It was awful.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyTue Mar 22, 2011 2:23 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
According to Netflix it's been just about five years to the day that I rented RC2. I had sent it back after watching only a little. It was awful.
I still haven't finished watching it after last night (20 mins left I think). It's such a mess, I'm not sure where the hell it was going.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 4:14 am

Decided to watch the finale, cuz I felt like it.

Hadn't actually watched it since the finale premiered. Yeah, the caveman movement is fucking stupid. "Don't underestimate the power of wanting to wipe the slate clean", yeah, I'm sure they'll keep expressing that when there's cancer, diseases, rainy days, blizzards, ect. I know it's done so it can explain why no one 150,000 years later found all that ancient technology but still... coulda come up with something else. "I wanna climb mountains!", yeah Lee? Better get that rope. Oh wait, you sent it to the sun. Better go free climb, don't fall on your ass.

But besides that, it is packs an emotional punch. I literally choked up during the Bill/Laura scenes. Just from the way Bill looks at her while she's looking at the animals, I'm reminded how great Olmos was. I really wanna watch the whole thing again soon. Maybe when I finish my Trek run. I was considering getting the whole series on blu-ray, but I might just wait instead especially since they're all on Netflix Instant anyway. I need to save up.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 4:55 am

The very stuff that kept Laura alive and gave Bill some happiness is what Lee elected to pitch into the sun.

To break a cycle you need to teach your descendants about your mistakes. You don't just erase history and throw away technology. Technology was never the problem. And if the problem was people you sure as shit don't reduce them to a more primitive state of social development. I've said this so many times. Look at the place of women on BSG. Equal to men. A woman in charge. And look at the last 150,000 years of human history. Hell, just look at much of the world today. The world of BSG, before the fall, actually seems like a place for us to aspire to, not to think was deserving of a nuclear holocaust because it had strip clubs. BSG seems to end with this sick line of reasoning that modern civilization is somehow.... Awful, or something. That we've "lost" something, compared to when we had to work most of the day just to feed ourselves and we threw our piss and shit into the street.

Human existence, until the last few centuries, was ghastly.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 5:04 am

I notice there has been little news activity on this thread concerning BLOOD & CHROME. I decided to look it up, casting has already been made and such. Looks like DS9/VOY/BSG writer Michael Taylor will be running the show. Good news for me, he put out some great work and seems like the right guy to take over from Moore. Thank the Gods it wasn't some hack. Taylor compares this show to THE HURT LOCKER. Kind of what I'd expect concerning the depiction of the first Cylon War.

So anyway here is our cast.

Our young Bill Adama: Luke Pasqualino

Battlestar Galactica 2009WinterTCATourDay4Ka_5GVgPuscl

Rest are supposed to be new characters...

Beka Kelly played by Lili Bordan, "an enigmatic software genius with whom Adama connects deeply."

Battlestar Galactica Lili_bordan_bikini

Hey, good to see Adama get some.

and Ben Cotton as Coker Fasjovik, Adama's commanding officer.

Battlestar Galactica 15985

I am really not familiar with any of these actors, so I guess I'll find out when it premieres.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptySat Jul 02, 2011 6:22 am

Just watched the MINISERIES again with my girlfriend. She's never seen BSG.

My thoughts? It's amazing how LITTLE of the entire "religious" angle is present. I mean, it's there, but it's totally unexplained and underdeveloped. Six mentions God once or twice and it makes Baltar uncomfortable, and meanwhile the humans pray to the Lord of Kobol. That's it. An unattentive viewer might not even get that they are different religions. The primary themes seem to be mainly ones of responsibility, sins of the father, survival, etc.

My girlfriend's thoughts? She became intensely emotionally engaged, and that bothered her because the show was so bleak. She asked me if it gets less depressing as it gets on, and man I wished I could've said yes.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 1:47 am

The blu-ray set on Amazon is half off. I just may get it soon.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 3:33 am

About to finish Season 1 with my girlfriend. The biggest difference is Roslin. She's so different in season one. That and the show feels a lot more insular, isolated to just the fleet for the most part (and the tedious Caprica subplot)
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica EmptyWed Aug 10, 2011 5:34 am

I thought seeing him get shot would be easier the second time around.

It wasn't.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battlestar Galactica   Battlestar Galactica Empty

Back to top Go down

Battlestar Galactica
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next