More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Skyfall first impressions (No spoilers)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Saunders...V Section

Saunders...V Section

Skyfall first impressions (No spoilers) Empty
PostSubject: Skyfall first impressions (No spoilers)   Skyfall first impressions (No spoilers) EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 3:14 pm

Just got back from the first performance of the day and thought I'd share my initial thoughts without giving any spoilers. Fantastic PTS (one of the best of the series IMO), another triumph for Daniel Kleinman's title sequence certinally as original and inspired as his CR work, lots of genuinely funny lines, memorable villain and some stunning location work. The acting is up to the high standard we have been expecting from this cast and some great stuntwork (not so much shaky camera work as in QOS.). Loved the many subtle references to the series and apart from a rather blatant whiskey one they were all well done and had none of that DAD feel about them.
Best film ever...strangely despite the hype I'm left underwhelmed by it, it's not that it's a bad film it's just I think there are better Bond films. It feels very different tonally, much in the same way CR changed the world of Bond and QOS kept to that style this one seems to have changed the cultural goalposts again. The plot for me felt awkward and despite the great acting many of the characters and situations felt rather underwritten and unfinished. Can't agree either with speculation that Dame Judi should get an Oscar for her performance, it was good but not outstanding, to my mind she still always seems slightly nervous and uncomfortable in the role.The film also tends to drag in places and some of the location shots seemed to linger just a little too long causing the end result to feel somewhat unbalanced.
Loved the classic end of the film, really nice touch and very welcome but why, why, why for a film that is obviously so proud of it's heritage do they have to once again screw around with what should be left sacrosanct.

Anyway that's all I'm going to say, I'm sure I'll feel differently after my 2nd viewing (I seem to remember after watching QOS for the first time posting that it was the 2nd best Bond film ever!), hope you chaps have a more positive first experience.
Back to top Go down
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

Skyfall first impressions (No spoilers) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Skyfall first impressions (No spoilers)   Skyfall first impressions (No spoilers) EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 9:01 pm

Saunders...V Section wrote:
.strangely despite the hype I'm left underwhelmed by it, it's not that it's a bad film it's just I think there are better Bond films. It feels very different tonally, much in the same way CR changed the world of Bond and QOS kept to that style this one seems to have changed the cultural goalposts again. The plot for me felt awkward and despite the great acting many of the characters and situations felt rather underwritten and unfinished. The film also tends to drag in places and some of the location shots seemed to linger just a little too long causing the end result to feel somewhat unbalanced.
Loved the classic end of the film, really nice touch and very welcome but why, why, why for a film that is obviously so proud of it's heritage do they have to once again screw around with what should be left sacrosanct.

Having just got back from seeing it, I can agree with you on these points, Saunders. But, like yourself, I'll perhaps have to give the film a second chance before condemning it too much. But right now, like yourself, I feel somewhat underwhelmed. I'll try and write a larger review up soon.
Back to top Go down
https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com

Skyfall first impressions (No spoilers)
Page 1 of 1