More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful'

Go down 
+13
Control
Ravenstone
Prisoner Monkeys
Loomis
GeneralGogol
CJB
Perilagu Khan
Fairbairn-Sykes
Gravity's Silhouette
Largo's Shark
Jack Wade
bitchcraft
Hilly
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful' - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful'   Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful' - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:50 am

Just thought I'd jump in here again to drive one final nail into Faulks' coffin: he was the 1998 "winner" of Literary Review's Bad Sex In Fiction award, which is given "to the author who produces the worst description of a sex scene in a novel" which is given "to draw attention to the crude, tasteless, often perfunctory use of redundant passages of sexual description in the modern novel, and to discourage it".

Given how fundamental sex is to Bond's character, how Faulks ever got the Devil May Care job is a mystery that may never be solved.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful'   Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful' - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 1:41 pm

I thought Devil May Care was a passable enough read, but the 'writing as Ian Fleming' thing on the cover was a BIG miscalculation.

Think it's safe to say that with more than a billion chalked up at the box-office, no-one connected with Skyfall gives much of a damn what Faulks thought of it.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful'   Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful' - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 5:59 pm

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
"to the author who produces the worst description of a sex scene in a novel" which is given "to draw attention to the crude, tasteless, often perfunctory use of redundant passages of sexual description in the modern novel, and to discourage it".

I want to read the submission. Not the whole book, but just the offending paragraph :D
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful'   Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful' - Page 2 EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:01 pm

The best I can do for you is direct you to the book that "won" - Charlotte Grey.
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful'   Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful' - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 7:27 pm

Hmmm..... I wonder if it's worth a trip to the library just for s***s and giggles?
Back to top Go down
Nicolas Suszczyk
Universal Exports
Universal Exports
Nicolas Suszczyk

PostSubject: Re: Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful'   Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful' - Page 2 EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 11:36 pm

I enjoyed Devil May Care, a lot more than Carte Blanche I may say, but, I certainly disagree with Faulks. I do think the Craig era goes exaggerately deep into Bond's feelings and personal emotions (we should have a "normal" Bond vs The Baddies with nothing personal for 24), but yes, I think Bond has an ENORMOUS inner life. See how many times he keeps thinking in the novels... the buzz saw chapter (aka the predecesor of the laser beam) from Goldfinger is a nice example: there you got Bond thinking you can choose how to die (Goldfinger told him he'd kill him without suffering if he gives away the information) but not how to be born. Savoir Mourir instead of Savoir Vivre, or so he says.
Back to top Go down
http://goldeneyedossier.blogspot.com
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful'   Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful' - Page 2 EmptyWed Feb 06, 2013 2:13 am

CJB wrote:

Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful' - Page 2 Sebastian+Faulks+Book+Launch+zOo5eZzAIrOl

Her floating devices are a heck of a lot more impressive than the vest a certain DC was wearing when presented to the world.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful'   Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful' - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Faulks: Skyfall 'distasteful'
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2