More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  Empty
PostSubject: Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?    Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 6:51 pm

I'm researching about Raymond Benson's Doubleshot (2000) at the moment and I was wondering whether or not Ian Fleming had ever given his thoughts on the blood sport of bullfighting in Spain. I don't think that he ever did, mind, but I'd still be very iinterested to see if our literary Bond experts here on BaB can come up with anything on this one. I have a feeling that Fleming would have been against it as he was anti-hunting in general, when it came to shooting and fox hunting. It's interesting that a bullfight does appear in the film version of OHMSS, though it does not feature in the original novel version by Fleming. I think that it might also be mentioned in the TMWTGG novel on Scaramanga's sexual predispositions if I remember correctly.

I'd really love to hear your views on this subject matter. :)

Last edited by SILHOUETTE MAN on Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?    Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  EmptyThu Mar 28, 2013 7:16 pm

To my knowledge Fleming never addressed the subject, although you are correct about mention of it in Gun. Fleming has some prof mention that Scaramanga had sex before carrying out an assassination in the belief that it improved one's eye. This was a belief shared by bullfighters.

I also agree Fleming probably disapproved of bullfighting. His love of animals and abhorrence of animal cruelty comes through clearly in his oeuvre.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?    Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 2:12 pm

And as an aside, in The Hildebrand Rarity, Bond views Krest as a "Hemingway man," and concludes therefrom, that they won't get along. Hemingway was, I believe, an admirer of bullfighting.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?    Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 9:25 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
And as an aside, in The Hildebrand Rarity, Bond views Krest as a "Hemingway man," and concludes therefrom, that they won't get along. Hemingway was, I believe, an admirer of bullfighting.

Yes, great observation there, Mr Khan. Thanks for that!

Hemingway did indeed write a book on bull fighting - Death in the Afternoon. I have a copy of this particular book.

Last edited by SILHOUETTE MAN on Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: s   Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 9:56 pm

SILHOUETTE MAN wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

Yes, great observation there, Mr Khan. Thanks for that!

Hemingway did indeed write a book on bull fighting - Death in the Afternoon. I have a copy of this particulkar book.

I do, too, although I haven't read it. I'm assuming the depiction of bullfighting in this book is complimentary.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?    Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  EmptyFri Mar 29, 2013 11:50 pm

On a more generalised note ... I'm a unashamed carnivore, so I don't know if being repelled by bloodsports is hypocritical or not. But I am.

Fox-hunting in particular disgusts me, not only for the overwhelming odds against the fox ('sporting chance', my arse) but also for the sheer 'Fuck you, we'll do what we like' arrogance of the toffee-nosed c u n t s participating.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?    Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 2:08 pm

I've got no use for bullfighting and fox hunting either. Sickens me, to tell the truth. And like you, I'm a major carnivore.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?    Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 5:29 pm

Fox hunting is the equivalent of gun control for the idiot libertarians in the UK. James Delingpole, for example.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?    Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 5:32 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
idiot libertarians ... James Delingpole, for example.

You seem to have changed your position on Delingpole, Sharky. Not so long ago you were recommending him to B&B members.

Fox hunting is not a matter that city dwellers have much idea about, they're more interested in class warfare. Bullfighting is not something I know much about either, but I do know there would be even fewer bulls in existence if it did not take place.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?    Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  EmptySat Mar 30, 2013 5:46 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
idiot libertarians ... James Delingpole, for example.

You seem to have changed your position on Delingpole, Sharky. Not so long ago you were recommending him to B&B members.

My politics took a u-turn last autumn, though I'm no lefty.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?    Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Did Ian Fleming ever give his views on the sport of bull fighting?
Page 1 of 1