More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here

Go down 
+19
6of1
bitchcraft
Prisoner Monkeys
Fairbairn-Sykes
Harmsway
Santa
CJB
Moore
Loomis
dr. strangelove
Jack Wade
Lazenby.
saint mark
Largo's Shark
Control
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Hilly
Makeshift Python
Fort Knox
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here Empty
PostSubject: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:47 am

So far, some of the names suggested to me include the following:

CULTURECIDE
BLADES CLUB
KEEPING THE BRITISH END UP
KOWALSKI
THE GREAT BEYOND

Debate the merits of any of the above, or submit your own preferred name for our forums here.
Back to top Go down
https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:51 am

The Blades Club for me. I haaaaaaate those other suggestions.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:58 am

THE BULL RING
PARLIAMENT OF OPINION
QUARTERDECK
THE CULTURAL DEBATING SOCIETY
CULTURAL ONE-STOP SHOP
CULTURAL LIFEBLOOD
CULTURAL SAFE HOUSE
THE CULTURAL FORUM
CULTURAL WORLD VIEWS
THE CULTURAL CRUCIBLE
CULTURE IN THE CRUCIBLE
LEGAL FICTIONS
CULTURE 21 (meaning Culture in the 21st Century) (Northern Ireland has a new liberal party called NI21. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NI21)

Last edited by Dragonpol on Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:39 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 11:23 am

Some kind of cool play on a word like Parliament may lead somewhere....
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 11:29 am

M wrote:

Yes, I think so, too. PARLIAMENT OF OPINION or CULTURAL PARLIAMENT or THE MINISTRY OF CULTURE all have a distinctive ring to them. I created the term PARLIAMENT OF OPINION as far as I know. I used to use it to describe CBn before I was binned there.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 1:48 pm

M wrote:

the Clink maybe.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 3:19 pm

The Blades Club for me...

Keeping the British End Up is what the old MI6 forums were called, and it would suggest we are still bitter and/or highly unoriginal.

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 3:22 pm

Clean slate and all. Blades Club.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 5:57 pm

I vote Blades Club.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 6:42 pm

I'm coming round to THE BLADES CLUB too.
Back to top Go down
Fort Knox
Administrator
Administrator
Fort Knox

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 7:50 pm

But do many people outside of Bond fandom (or who live next door to Blades Club) even know what Blades Club is? There's no universal pulling power or clarity to the name, which could be an unnecessary problem.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 8:11 pm

Blades Club will work in two ways. First of all, die-hard fans will automatically connect it to Bond, attracting those users. Second, it'll establish us as a sort of online club or lounge, which is what we'd all like out of this place.

Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 8:29 pm

BLADES CLUB gets my vote. It suggests what Ambler envisioned for this forum - an online pub for humour and banter, and a retreat from the woes of the world, though a bit more intellectual. A cross between a drinking establishment and a gentleman's club.

It could also inspire imagery for the banner - a crystal chandelier, candelabras, George IV silverware, Beluga Caviar, a bottle of Mouton Rothschild '34 or Dom Perignon '46, poker tables, backgammon, cigarette smoke etc. That kind of stuff, without having to appease everyone with pics from Bond actors, classic films, Mad Men, or Star Trek.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 8:33 pm

Control wrote:
Blades Club will work in two ways. First of all, die-hard fans will automatically connect it to Bond, attracting those users. Second, it'll establish us as a sort of online club or lounge, which is what we'd all like out of this place.

Yeah, it really is the best of both worlds and works as a great alternative to BOND AND BEYOND. If you're a die hard, you'll get the reference, if you're not a Bond person the name sounds intriguing.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:11 pm

Even if I like BLADES CLUB best I fear that it will not attract too many new visitors as it is not a term that will gets much typed on google. This in comparrison with the Bond name.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:13 pm

As Control says, it would attract a different kind of poster.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyMon Jun 10, 2013 10:29 pm

I'm gathering if Kowalski wins it won't be accompanied by a picture of Barry Newman.

My vote went the way stated above. Blades. Substitute Parliament of Opinion with The Rump Parliament.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 9:20 am

Suggesting restrictive, "exclusive" or "elitist" forum names at this point in time strikes me as beyond ridiculous. Bond And Beyond has become restrictive enough in that it has failed to attract members from outside of Bond circles, so to go with another Bond reference or anything else which sounds exclusive or limiting would just be another nail in our coffin. We need a forum name and front page which any of us could recommend to any of our friends, and for those friends to have at least one thing on that front page to hook them in enough to bother registering. If one of us were using a music forum elsewhere or a Star Wars, World Cinema or football forum, there should be enough variety on our front page and variety implied through our name for us to be able to offer members of those other forums an invite they would accept.

I'm not suggesting that my own name suggestion of CULTURECIDE is 100% perfect, but the intent of using such a name is to indicate that all aspects of culture are discussed here. We also need the name to be simple, possibly even just a one-word title in the way the likes of Pitchfork, Quietus, Spin, Q, Mojo, NME, Empire, Facebook, Twitter etc have names which have become synonymous with cultural/media/social commentary. IMO, having a name that fits in seamlessly among that list (yet also states what we're all about here) is the way to go.
Back to top Go down
Lazenby.
Head of Station
Head of Station
Lazenby.

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 10:44 am

One way of keeping a Bond link but also implying something universal would be to use the name "Tomorrow", with a Carver newspaper-style banner and a slogan such as "Tomorrow's news today" or 'Tomorrow's culture discussed today", etc. Maybe not a brilliant idea, but just an idea to throw in with the others until any other thoughts spring to mind.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 1:40 pm

I know where you're coming from, Laz, but to make this a catch-all forum for cultural debate would be at odds with the number of members here who want this place to stay Bondcentric. Bond is what brought most of us together in the first place and I don't think it would be the wisest move to run against that.

That said, If you want a less elitist name, I suggest Culture Council - a play on Paul Weller's Style Council.

Instead of CULTURECIDE (which sounds negative and off putting) what about CULTUREPHILE? (CULTUREPHILIA's been taken by a blog)

Some other variations:

CULTUREFILE

CULTUREFILES

CULTUREPHENIA

CULTUREPHRENIA

CULTUREVOX - The Voice of Culture

VOX*

*There is no forum called Vox. The amp manufacturer uses www.voxamps.com/forum/
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 5:43 pm

I'm starting to think the name's fine.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 6:44 pm

It's possible that our name has been tarnished by some of the controversies over the last year. It's not like Bond and Beyond has a major fan following on Facebook who'd be confused by the name change. It'd be a way of wiping the slate clean. A fresh start.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 6:49 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
It's possible that our name has been tarnished by some of the controversies over the last year. It's not like Bond and Beyond has a major fan following on Facebook who'd be confused by the name change. It'd be a way of wiping the slate clean. A fresh start.

Exactly. Wipe the slate clean is a good way forward, I think. We need to attract new blood here. It's no time to be sentimental in any way about names! A name which is not Bond-centric seems to me to be the best way forward at this point.

What about PARLIAMENT OF CULTURE or THE MINISTRY OF CULTURE or MINISTRY OF CULTURE or CULTURE ROYALE or QUANTUM OF CULTURE?

Should I just stop now?!

Last edited by Dragonpol on Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 6:54 pm

Dragonpol wrote:
Should I just stop now?!

Yep. laugh

I think single words are best. Punchier and more memorable.

If I had to choose one of my suggestions, I'd go with CULTUREVOX. Rolls off the tongue well, rhymes with Ultravox, no one else using it etc.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here EmptyTue Jun 11, 2013 7:01 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
Dragonpol wrote:
Should I just stop now?!

Yep. laugh

I think single words are best. Punchier and more memorable.

If I had to choose one of my suggestions, I'd go with CULTUREVOX. Rolls off the tongue well, rhymes with Ultravox, no one else using it etc.

Sorry. I was busy editing my reply.

Yes, CULTUREVOX is quite simple and nice and snappy. How do we the members and mods collectively decide on the name change, though? It has to be in place by the end of June. Forum email to all members asking for submissions or a poll where all interested/active members can vote on a list of agreed new names for the relaunch of the site?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here   A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here Empty

Back to top Go down

A new name for the forums? Submit ideas here
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next