More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Male authors - female characters

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Male authors - female characters Empty
PostSubject: Male authors - female characters   Male authors - female characters EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 2:30 pm

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/how-women-see-how-male-authors-see-them

I see the New Yorker devoted some attention to this recent social media fad.

My 2 cents: I think it might be more interesting for women who feel like male authors fail at properly conveying the female experience to lead by example and do a better job themselves, instead of merely mocking some of the male authors' efforts?

And I know the point is hyperbole, but many instances of "describe yourself as a male author would" aren't quite fair in representing even the most leery depictions of feminine characters in male fiction.

Also, this is not a male/female thing, imho.

e.g. Nicola Griffith also has sexualized descriptions of female characters within her prose, likely because she is a gay woman?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Male authors - female characters   Male authors - female characters EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 6:50 pm

x

Last edited by Erica Ambler on Wed May 22, 2019 11:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Male authors - female characters   Male authors - female characters EmptyWed Apr 04, 2018 7:18 pm

I honestly cringed a bit when I saw Raymond Chandler and Philip Roth among those lambasted.

That's a lot of literature to throw onto the pyre if those two don't make the cut.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

PostSubject: Re: Male authors - female characters   Male authors - female characters EmptyWed Apr 25, 2018 4:03 am

I mean, even if you accept the criticisms, since when is bad writing an excuse not to publish something?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Male authors - female characters   Male authors - female characters Empty

Back to top Go down

Male authors - female characters
Page 1 of 1