More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

Go down 
+5
Strangways&Quarrel
Salomé
Blunt Instrument
Perilagu Khan
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2019 9:07 am

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/once-a-time-hollywood-quentin-tarantinos-violence-women-problem-1227406

Just one example of such a piece.

Quote :

The so-called Manson girls had been brainwashed by a madman. While they're certainly responsible for their own actions, it seems short-sighted to mark them strictly as villains worthy of slaughter. Even more distressing is the fact that violence against women is generally played for laughs in a Tarantino picture. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood bares the same pattern for its final victims as Jackie Brown (1997) and The Hateful Eight (2015), a laugh at a dead woman's expense. A can of dog food to the face, a brutal dog mauling and a blowtorch execution had my 6:00 p.m. Thursday audience in Burbank doubled over in hysterics.

The poor brainwashed Atkins stabbed a pregnant woman to death who had begged for her child's life. Her last words to Tate were supposedly "I have no sympathy for you, bitch".
I would like to direct that same sentiment to her and Krenwinkel. Unlike poor Sharon Tate, they deserve no more.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 01, 2019 10:18 am

T.A. Ferguson wrote:
I wouldn't be a bit surprised by any of those reactions, being as we're living in the Age of Crackpot History and the Right to Lie....

I'm going Thursday to watch OUATIH....I don't know why being as I thought Django, Inglourious Basterds and Death Proof were such dog shit films......Oddly, I really enjoyed The Hateful Eight.....

But, I'll give the new flick a view being as I used to live in California and I find California of the late 60's a very interesting subject.

I really liked Django and mostly liked IB. With you on Death Proof, and I found The Hateful Eight waaay overlong and dull.

I have booked an IMAX screening at the Nottingham Cineworld of Once Upon A Time ... on the evening of 15th August (the last night of my holiday). £16, which would elicit a 'HOW FUCKING MUCH?!?' from me in the cinema lobby under normal circumstances, but hey on holiday you gotta treat yourself.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2019 3:34 am

I really don't want to know. This seems to play fast and very loose with Hollywood history and seems like it would be extremely insensitive to the events that shook everyone in 1969.

I've long been done with QT and only like Jackie Brown. The less said about the guy who got away with plagiarizing City on Fire the better.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2019 11:03 am

hegottheboot wrote:
I really don't want to know. This seems to play fast and very loose with Hollywood history and seems like it would be extremely insensitive to the events that shook everyone in 1969.

You would think that's the case, but it may be more of a generational thing. I was in a theater that mostly consisted older people looking past their 60s. This was a generation that lived at the time the Manson murders was a huge media sensation, and their reaction was utterly gleeful seeing the tables turned on the Manson family. When Brat Pitt threw a can of dog food hard and fast onto Susan Atkins' face, a woman next to me briefly clapped for that. Where this may be something shocking to watch for younger generations who aren't as familiar with the Tate murders, I suspect this was much more cathartic for baby boomers and GenXers. It's the ultimate generational revenge film that gives a fairy tale ending to people fictional (Leo) and historical (Tate).
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2019 11:35 am

Working in a similar fashion to Hitler's reimagined end in Basterds.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 04, 2019 12:03 pm

Pretty much, and I can't believe I didn't see that coming, considering what he already did a decade ago.

Not sure where I'd rank this among his films. I feel it's around the middle. JACKIE BROWN and INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS are still my top two. I definitely enjoyed it a lot more on second viewing once I was more prepared for the languish vibe. It's definitely Tarantino doing for the 60s Hollywood what the Coens did for 50s Hollywood in HAIL CAESAR! They even do scenes of actors flubbing their lines on set.

Funnily, both films feature George Clooney and Leo DiCaprio basically playing total buffoons, and I've always liked watching them play those types in other films like BURN AFTER READING and THE WOLF OF WALL STREET. It's fun to watch them poke fun at themselves.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 16, 2019 1:40 am

Top 3 Tarantino for me. I'd agree MP and say IB and JB are 1 and 2 respectively for me but OUATIH takes third spot. He could not get better actors for Rick and Cliff and I'd say their scenes together are the real highlight of the film.

Any discussion into the morality of a male character killing a woman who's clearly intent on killing him is as stupid as CR06. Thankfully, the audience I saw it understood that.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 11:41 am

It's very entertaining, if overlong and a sense that it's more a string of vignettes than anything else. Leo and Brad make for an excellent pairing, there's a lot of humour and (as DiCaprio's Rick Dalton tearfully contemplates his washed-up future) some heart too.

As for the closing acts of violence ... eh. As has previously been mentioned, the Family murders were carried out with maximum cruelty and relish so a fantasised version of the same happening to them doesn't bother me at all.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 12:50 am

It could absolutely have certain scenes trimmed (I'm thinking most of the scenes where Leo's character is filming) but it gives us context and sets up the moments that follow where Leo either beats himself up for forgetting his lines or responds to positive feedback-- great payoffs for sitting through those extended shooting scenes.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 18, 2019 11:16 am

Glad I'd read about (and therefore hung around for) the extra bit in the end credits. It's a bit of fun that ties OUATIH to several of Tarantino's previous films.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2019 12:56 am

Are you referring to the "commercial" in the credits or something else, later?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2019 11:08 am

Yeah, the Rick Dalton ad for Red Apple cigarettes. The brand is an invention of QT's and features in several of his flicks.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 25, 2019 1:30 pm

Heh didn't know that about Red Apple. I was impressed enough by my picking up on the 'Antonio Margereeeeeeeeti' reference.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 26, 2019 9:10 pm

You can hear a snippet of John Barry's score from THUNDERBALL playing in the credits.

Bit odd. Would have thought OHMSS be used instead.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 12:58 am

Yes! I remember talking with a friend then drifting off because of Chateau Fight blaring through the speakers.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 27, 2019 7:32 am

Could have sworn it was "Bond Joins Underwater Battle".
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 17, 2023 5:30 pm

This is my favourite Tarantino film, followed by Reservoir Dogs. I also like the Kill Bill films, especially the first, and The Hateful Eight. Pulp Fiction deserves a mention as well. Not so impressed by the rest anymore. They were fun enough at the time, but have no rewatch value.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 17, 2023 7:22 pm

Dawn till Dusk--or is it vice versa?--was one of the worst films I ever attempted to watch. Didn't make it to the end.

Tarantino is a loathesome individual, BTW.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 11:06 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Dawn till Dusk--or is it vice versa?--was one of the worst films I ever attempted to watch. Didn't make it to the end.

Why would you say that? I am not a QT superfan, but most of his films are at least interesting to watch, even if I did not like all of them.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 08, 2023 4:13 pm

Salomé wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:

Why would you say that? I am not a QT superfan, but most of his films are at least interesting to watch, even if I did not like all of them.

Let's just say I don't like him as a person. I could never have any use for a person who made Django Unchained.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Once Upon A Time In Hollywood   Once Upon A Time In Hollywood - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Once Upon A Time In Hollywood
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2