More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

James Bond on Laserdisc

Go down 
4 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 EmptyMon May 11, 2020 11:52 pm

When MKKBB sees me compliment TND or TWINE:

James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 Tumblr_pmw162vr8j1rn314mo1_400
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2020 12:00 am

laugh

Bit of that, bit of this:

James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 Dtzc-x2XcAEopPb
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2020 12:11 am

I’ll be the pigeon.

James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 MoonRaker1
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2020 11:25 pm

DTS on LD is indeed
INSANE drool kaboom flame blob
They make any enthusiast grin like an idiot.

AC3 can at times get pretty close depending on the mix which is very surprising given the large bitrate difference. Most of that is of course because these are untouched theatrical mixes. If the source is the same between 2.0 and ac3 5.1 you'll find that the discrete track has greater clarity, better separation and better defined low end LFE bass content in addition to being able to pan sounds more accurately. On the flipside the 2.0 matrix can at times be equal to the task and have a more pleasing room filling LFE bass because ti is just picking up all frequencies beyond a point. A handful of 2.0 tracks I'd argue sound better then ac3 5.1 even because they were still mixing for matrix until the mid 90's.

Titles like TND will sound the same as their mix has never changed. You will notice the ac3 won't be as good as the DTS but comes rather close. I still think the LD ac3 sounds better than the DVD ac3 did.

Top Gun ac3 is reference grade and still I think the best sounding release period. They seemingly remixed it for DTS in the DVD era and I don't know that it was any better.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 EmptySat May 16, 2020 11:25 pm

New video on Japanese 1980's Evergreen and Premiere series pan n scan LDs:
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 EmptySun May 17, 2020 8:38 pm

hegottheboot wrote:
Top Gun ac3 is reference grade and still I think the best sounding release period.

No kidding. Just tested my ac3 demodulator a few days ago with Top Gun and...

James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 7LXy
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 EmptySun May 24, 2020 1:28 am

They have a habit of doing that believe me. I just trek out Trek Generations and First Contact in ac3 on LD for the first time. FC has some nice moments and sounds great but Generations has really impressive bits with nice LFE bass.

DTS LDs will go even further.

I often wonder what my neighbors must think when I run certain LDs with great untouched soundtracks or mixes I adore. I never go above a certain threshold but they must know when I run LD ac3, DTS or Temple of Doom, Flash Gordon, Bonds, and especially the Brosnan era...DTS GE and TND are top tier "turn it to 11" films. DAD as well and it helps wash down the cringe aspects.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James Bond on Laserdisc   James Bond on Laserdisc - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

James Bond on Laserdisc
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2