More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Last Movie You Watched.

Go down 
+12
He Who Dares, Wins
hegottheboot
Salomé
Xenia93
trevanian
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Somerset
CJB
Hilly
Sarai
Perilagu Khan
Blunt Instrument
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next
AuthorMessage
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 18, 2023 6:09 pm

I consider CHINA SYNDROME and MISSING to be one of the great one-two acting punches ever. Lemmon's subtlety and continuity of performance, especially in the latter, had my mouth hanging open by the 2nd time I saw it in the theater.

His last scene in CHINA always 'got me' so well that I actually used my super-8 camera to film it off the TV set, then used my projector to play it back while I was acting a scene to trigger me emotionally. (as a zero-budget filmmaker, I wound up acting in nearly all of my stuff, but have to admit the tricks I used to get a performance out of myself were pretty unorthodox -- sometimes I would play a scene while looking at a mirror next to the camera, so I would know how to get my eye to glint just right, using every technical aspect rather than any actual minimal acting talent -- and it worked!)
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 18, 2023 7:05 pm

Lemmon gave an acting clinic, no doubt about it. Won Best Actor, I believe. Certainly deserved it.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptySun Jun 18, 2023 7:25 pm

THE FLASH
Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.themoviedb.org%2Ft%2Fp%2Foriginal%2Fe3aS4VMoMpv7JCUk7XASWlskViO
I was hoping I would enjoy this. Turns out I loved it. When I first saw Miller as The Flash in the JL movie, I was underwhelmed, but he is actually a very capable actor and does well here. Cool that he gets his own movie, and it is one of the better ones from DC. Lots of both fun and drama, and the score is awesome. Love the choir work. There are several "surprise appearances" here as well, a treat for the fans, it is not just Michael Keaton, who has one of the major parts. The whole thing is really well made.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyMon Jun 19, 2023 6:38 pm

CJB wrote:
Some cracker writing in Conan and an outstanding soundtrack to boot.

Full disclosure - a combination of some nights of patchy sleep last week due to hot weather, being a man of a certain age, beer and the thing feeling like it was going nowhere fast meant I nodded off before the end. Eh ... I got the gist, as far as I'm concerned.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 2:57 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
CJB wrote:
Some cracker writing in Conan and an outstanding soundtrack to boot.

Full disclosure - a combination of some nights of patchy sleep last week due to hot weather, being a man of a certain age, beer and the thing feeling like it was going nowhere fast meant I nodded off before the end. Eh ... I got the gist, as far as I'm concerned.  

Bloody 'ell.

Don't tell me you missed this piece of pure poetry:

Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 4:16 am

I remember loving Conan back in the 80s, but seeing it again some years ago was underwhelming.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyWed Jun 21, 2023 11:47 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
I remember loving Conan back in the 80s, but seeing it again some years ago was underwhelming.

It's a pretty regular re-view for me. There's some flab on it, but that is true of the inferior (but still fun) sequel as well. I don't know that Conan really needed the Jim Jones kind of villain, but since I've never read the comics or the novels, I don't speak from any knowledge. Most importantly, Basil's score, which was enough here for me to watch IRON EAGLE years later, and that turned out to be even better (his score, not the movie, though I get a kick out of that too, so long as I skip over most of the first hour.)

Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 4:21 am

trevanian wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:

It's a pretty regular re-view for me. There's some flab on it, but that is true of the inferior (but still fun) sequel as well. I don't know that Conan really needed the Jim Jones kind of villain, but since I've never read the comics or the novels, I don't speak from any knowledge. Most importantly, Basil's score, which was enough here for me to watch IRON EAGLE years later, and that turned out to be even better (his score, not the movie, though I get a kick out of that too, so long as I skip over most of the first hour.)

The score still holds up for me.
One thing that amazes me, is that Arnold was the best they could get?
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyThu Jun 22, 2023 7:31 am

I read that Conan The Destroyer is a good half-hour shorter and has a more humourous tone and toned-down violence.

Well, the first 2 sound good anyway. lol.

Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 2:15 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
I read that Conan The Destroyer is a good half-hour shorter  and has a more humourous tone and toned-down violence.

Well, the first 2 sound good anyway. lol.  

Grace Jones is amazingly entertaining and effective (Making Wilt the Stilt seem awfully stilted), to the point that she is a total letdown in the Bond film by comparison. I also really like Tracy Walter in just about everything, same for Mako.

The 2nd one is supposed to be more like the source material, so I'm guessing that means juvenile ... but shoot, I like 'juvenile SF' from Heinlein and Silverberg, and trek probably fits into that too.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 2:19 am

Phantom Commander wrote:
trevanian wrote:
Phantom Commander wrote:

The score still holds up for me.
One thing that amazes me, is that Arnold was the best they could get?

Going by what I remember of the CINEFANTASTIQUE articles, Arnold was the only person ever considered for the role. I mean, were they going to have Kirk Douglas as Conan? (perhaps Milius was thinking along Peter Hunt lines here, going with the notion that good editing could create a performance beyond Arnie's native talent.

What I found interesting is that Milius had him slim down considerably for the role, probably to cut down on the 'freakish' aspect, whereas in the sequel they kept him half-naked most of the time and Fleischer had him muscle it all back up again.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyFri Jun 23, 2023 7:26 am

Ferris Bueller's Day Off - classic 80s John Hughes comedy about the titular high-school kid (Matthew Broderick) wangling himself, his girlfriend (Mia Sara) and his neurotic best buddy Cameron (Alan Ruck) ... you've guessed it, the day off. Highlights include hilarious turns from Jeffrey Jones and Jennifer Grey (Ferris' uptight school dean and snarky sister respectively), one of cinema's snarliest guard dogs and the 'Twist And Shout' bit.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptySun Jul 02, 2023 4:57 pm

Indiana Jones And The Dial Of Destiny - thankfully a much better last hurrah for everybody's favourite hat-wearing, whip-cracking, tomb-raiding, Nazi-punching archaeologist than Crystal Skull. Perhaps a little overlong but for the most part, tremendous fun.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 10:51 am

How was the Phoebe Waldorf-Birmingham character?
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 4:01 pm

Happy to see a good reaction. I am going, but not sure when. It has been the number one movie here during the weekend.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyMon Jul 03, 2023 6:11 pm

CJB wrote:
How was the Phoebe Waldorf-Birmingham character?

Mostly fine. Kinda reminiscent of Karen Allen in Raiders.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptySat Jul 08, 2023 11:24 am

Mission : Impossible - imminent release of the 7th movie has me in the mood to rewatch some of the earlier flicks. More of a 'spy thriller with occasional setpieces' (those being the opening mission-gone-wrong in Prague, the Langley high-security computer vault 'heist' and the climactic train/'copter action) than a full-on action blockbuster, this nonetheless does enough to set up the franchise pretty neatly.

Interesting to note that this had a 'McGuffin' of a list of deep-cover agents on a computer disc/hard drive falling into the wrong hands a good 16 years before the Bond franchise did (Skyfall).
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptySat Jul 08, 2023 11:38 am

Blunt Instrument wrote:
Mission : Impossible - imminent release of the 7th movie has me in the mood to rewatch some of the earlier flicks. More of a 'spy thriller with occasional setpieces' (those being the opening mission-gone-wrong in Prague, the Langley high-security computer vault 'heist' and the climactic train/'copter action) than a full-on action blockbuster, this nonetheless does enough to set up the franchise pretty neatly.

Interesting to note that this had a 'McGuffin' of a list of deep-cover agents on a computer disc/hard drive falling into the wrong hands a good 16 years before the Bond franchise did (Skyfall).        
Not a fan of the earliest installments. Except for the second, these films got progressively better, and I have enjoyed the last few, especially FALLOUT.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptySat Jul 08, 2023 5:22 pm

Homicide (1991)--A very intense police procedural written and directed by David Mamet. In a sense, it is a basic cops-murderers-detectives film, but it is also made more interesting by the presence of a shadowy Zionist organization, and questions of Jewish identity, loyalty and masculinity. There is also a negro race element that was almost as prominent back then as it is now.

Definitely worth seeing.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 2:34 am

Phantom Commander wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:

Not a fan of the earliest installments. Except for the second, these films got progressively better, and I have enjoyed the last few, especially FALLOUT.

Only really liked the first one. Saw the second because I was supposed to do an article on it till Cruise decided 'no vfx coverage till the following year.' Skipped the third, endured the fourth, and I watched about 15min of one with Rebecca Ferguson that seemed like it was in MATRIX land (the Woo was like that too, with spring-loaded sand and impossible collisions that would have killed everybody instantly.)

I really don't get the appeal of these things, or Cruise. But again, the first one was pretty solid.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptySun Jul 09, 2023 11:09 am

Mission : Impossible 3 - Hunt and the team try to prevent arms dealer Owen Davian selling a bioweapon to the highest bidder in this third instalment. Philip Seymour Hoffman gives good villain ... there's SOMETHING about him; a quality that suggests that in real life as well he may not necessarily have been a very nice guy.

Best action sequence is probably the mid-point bridge attack.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyMon Jul 10, 2023 4:49 am

SHAZAM! FURY OF THE GODS
It has its moments, but I much prefer the first one.
Minor observation: Wolf Blitzer appears for what must be the 100th time in a movie, confirming yet again that he is nothing but an actor in a world of fiction.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyMon Jul 10, 2023 2:29 pm

Blitzer is like the new Howard K. Smith, in that Smith was the only network anchor who seemed to be permitted to appear as himself in fictional programming everywhere in the 80s.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyMon Jul 10, 2023 4:51 pm

trevanian wrote:
Blitzer is like the new Howard K. Smith, in that Smith was the only network anchor who seemed to be permitted to appear as himself in fictional programming everywhere in the 80s.  
Not familiar with the name, but looking up his picture on the net, I do recognize that face.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Head of Station
Head of Station
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 EmptyWed Jul 12, 2023 4:22 am

THE MEG
This was well made, and I was entertained.Originality is however completely absent. It contains countless cliches and tropes seen over and over in other films. Including fat people dying. That said, the sequel also looks fun:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Last Movie You Watched.   Last Movie You Watched. - Page 30 Empty

Back to top Go down

Last Movie You Watched.
Page 30 of 40Go to page : Previous  1 ... 16 ... 29, 30, 31 ... 35 ... 40  Next