More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

A View To A Kill appreciation thread

Go down 
+13
lachesis
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
CJB
hegottheboot
j7wild
Walecs
00Beast
tiffanywint
TedHeath
Prince Kamal Khan
Perilagu Khan
Largo's Shark
Gravity's Silhouette
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 4:28 am

00Beast wrote:
So gald I found this thread! I too am tired of all the hate AVTAK gets. It is my #3 favorite Bond movie and deserves tons of approval and praise. It's a shame that people only look at Roger's age as the crushing factor, when in reality, Roger provides us with one of his best performances full of legendary one liners, pun-filled dialogue in classic Roger style, confrontational and angry dialogue with Max Zorin, and every bit of Bond charm, elegance, and style that we would expect from a Bond movie. The soundtrack by John Barry rocks; it is easily one of his best and is a driving force for many of the action sequences. Max Zorin is the series second best main villain and carries the weight of all the other villains whom aren't as memorable as he is, except for May Day, who is a great henchwoman as well, until she turns good. The action might be weaker because of Roger's age, but the last thirty minutes of the film with the flooding of the mine, Zorin gunning down his workers, May Day's sacrifice, and Bond rescuing Stacey and fighting Zorin on the Golden Gate Bridge prove that AVTAK is one of the finest Bond movies ever made.

I can't argue with any of this. I very much enjoy this film. I'm not going to rave about it, but as a body of work, it really does bring the Bond for me. The Barry score is probably the best part, in terms of establishing the Bond mood. Rog gives it a good effort. He's not convincing in the couple of fight scenes he engages, but he never has been, in any of his films. We work around that, but he does bring his Rog-Bond gravitas in plenty of other scenes. I do like the American setting. I do enjoy Bond's visits to the continent. As mentioned earlier, the brassy American Bond-girls are my favourites, so Roberts ranks right up there with St. John, Wood, Richards and others.

I am always happy to pop in AVTAK and escape with Rog-Bond for a couple of hours. The blu-ray should be a real treat.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 4:51 am

Tanya only good for playing dumb roles

http://www.nitrovideo.com/moviedb/sheena/images/TanyaRoberts-Sheena-02.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJMGOidaL8/TUVhSJ-F5WI/AAAAAAAAADY/utLN9V-cbg8/s1600/TanyaRoberts_K09.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_GWJMGOidaL8/TUWJNtmVanI/AAAAAAAAADo/Q64LwcMws3s/s1600/sheena-reine-de-la-jungle-1984-03-g.jpg
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:21 am

Yes. I think having sex with her would be a good thing.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:12 am

CJB wrote:
Yes. I think having sex with her would be a good thing.

This. She's a babe.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Not sure what prompted them to review AVTAK, but they did and they gave it a fairly good review:

http://www.denofgeek.com/movies/23114/looking-back-at-a-view-to-a-kill

And the feedback section is almost overwhelmingly positive. Are people simply giving it a better review out of sheer nostalgia, or has the film managed to uncover a new era of fans who appreciate it for what it was more than the critics did?

I've always felt, and have said so, that AVTAK was sooooooooooooooo close to being one of the best Bond films ever; man, if they just would have recast the lead role, Moneypenny, and brought in an age-appropriate Felix instead of Chuck Lee (though I have no problem with David Yip), this could have really blown the roof off the box office. Jones and Walken are superb, the script is "deliciously" over the top, the dialogue is among the most quotable...great action sequences...pity the whole thing gets sloughed down a bit because Moore is too old to be credible as either an action hero or a sexy secret agent that all the women want to sleep with.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 11:56 am

Haven't been able to stop thinking about AVTAK since watching it earlier… Was an absolutely pleasure to watch again - always been a firm favourite for me until last year where I was bored (but it was a rough patch in the Bond-o-verse for me anyway). But today I felt reinvigorated again with the franchise - just like I did with GE and TB last year when I watched them! It sounds odd because a lot of AVTAK's criticism is that it seems tired, but I don't see it - at least not this time round. I thought this more so with The Man With The Golden Gun. There's so much originality in it that I can't believe the franchise was 'tired' - shaking up the henchman formula (with a henchwoman), the city hall sequences, the incorporation of two cultural icons in the Eiffel Tower and Golden Gate Bridge (deliberate use of them given the film's title?), the steeple chases, The characters of Stacey and Tibbett, and the former's character arc, Barry's fresh and rockin' score and Duran Duran's title song - a major step up from OP in my opinion. Also found it to be surprisingly colourful, esp. for an 80s Bond film. Quite a few cool shots as well!

As mentioned in the Last Bond Film You Watched thread, it will most definitely be close to my top 10, if not in it!

Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 12:32 pm

I think it gets a rough treatment among the general public solely on the basis of Moore's age.

The years may be showing on Roger here, but the twinkle in the eye and the jovial stride remains, which is a stark contrast imo to the awkward and uncomfortable presence he has in 'The Man with the Golden Gun' or even (to a lesser extent) 'Live and Let Die'. In terms of action its chalk and cheese between Hamilton's Moore films and 'A View to a Kill' so much that fizzles in the early 70's really soars here with some genuinely inventive moments. As to drama I do think it is a failing of Glen's but that he improves film on film, 'A View to a Kill' is considerably superior to its two immediate predecessors and whereas Louis Jordan and Julian Glover's perfomances fell rather flat imo Walken and MacNee really elevate the scenes they appear in. Moonraker and 'The Spy Who Loved' me tend to bag the highest two spots in my Moore Bond lists but the third spot is generally a tough call between 'A View to a Kill' and 'For Your Eyes Only'.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 1:11 pm

I don't think I could place MR above AVTAK, not only because of the space stuff, but for most part it doesn't feel a spy thriller - more a romantic sci-fi adventure.

Interesting note about Glen's drama directing. I'm not sure I agree with you in that I feel FYEO's dramatic moments are on par or superior to AVTAK, but I will concede that the majority of AVTAK's is much stronger than OP's (though the scene with Orlov is quite good, from memory). And I'm glad Glen wanted to ground Moore's portrayal of 007 - I'm personally glad he stayed on for the FYEO - AVTAK period - I feel as though this is where he is James Bond - and at the very least a variation of what Fleming wrote. It's a very consistent performance in this film and that has to be largely attributed to the director pushing for that angle.

Agreed 100% about the inventive action sequences and I do believe it is Glen's high point as a director. Aside from the great stunt work of the 70s, there isn't much to bridge the gap to the 80s Bond films with genuine threat and brutality that makes this period much more exciting.

EDIT: Thanks for the responses by the way - I don't feel as though I know you (or your tastes in Bond) as well as other members here, so it's good to chat about it with you. Here's to the remaining 15 films or so!
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 4:03 am

Say what you will about Moore getting long in the tooth, but you could never say he got bored with the role and AVTAK is no exception. Some of Sir Rog's best moments ("I'm an early riser myself") as well as his banter with the recently departed Tibbett.

But yes, AVTAK is quite underrated. I mean, how can you not like a film with Christopher Walken as the villain? Great score as well. The 80's were a golden age of Bond scores, as far as I'm concerned, with three of my favourite appearing in that decade (namely FYEO, AVTAK, and TLD).
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2015 4:10 am

I think AVTAK makes a fine example of a movie with great parts, but the sum of them don't make a great Bond film. I don't rank it very high, but I don't rank it low either like most of Bond fandom. There's still plenty of worth in his film even if it's just for the parts like Moore, Walken, Jones, Macnee, Barry, Duran Duran, Maurice Binder discovering day-glow, ect.

As I go through the countdown this year, I'll say I look forward to seeing it again. It's something I've found to enjoy more times I watch it, though it may never shoot up in the ratings as far as it is now. Stranger things have happened, I suppose.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptySat Jun 27, 2015 9:18 pm

Any Bond film that crowbars a Beach Boys song in, no matter how cringe-inducing, isn't all bad.

Picturing Craig skiing in Spectre to something similar.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 11, 2017 1:39 pm

Found a great AVTAK interview featuring Moore, Walken, Maxwell and Brown, as well as appearances from Kiel and Lee. 

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 12, 2017 3:05 pm

I watched that after Sir Roger died, quite a decent interview. Sir Roger was always good for that sort of thing.

Indeed, I rewatched VTAK on Sunday. I can only add to my last review that I wish the soundtrack had more of a complete release -highlights of what isn't there on the official release would be the horse chase, Bond's drive up to Zorin's French chateau (quite reminiscent of Barry's Ride to Sherwood from Robin and Marian and the fight music at Stacey's home (the use of the Bond theme very similar to the use of it in Thunderball's Chateau Flight)

I bear in mind some blog I read in May about Stacey and how the reason she is how she is, is that she's a regular Joe (as it were) thrown in this situation she has no idea about with secret agents and nutters and next thing you know she's up on the Golden Gate Bridge etc. Sir Roger says on the commentary about her eyes but killer pair of legs.

Little bits still tickle like Bond's 'helping' of Tibbett by taking off the brolly from his heavy load. Might have been his least favourite Bond but if you forget yourself, it's a decent way to pass an hour or two.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 15, 2017 4:18 am

Agree with a lot of that, especially regarding Stacey. I'm certain any regular Joe would be beside themselves after watching their boss get killed in front of their eyes, be trapped in and atop a burning elevator, and perhaps their only chance of survival seems to leave them there.
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 22, 2017 9:56 am

I think the problem with AVTAK and that it feels 'tired' is that it recycles things that some people don't even notice.  Like for example it re-used the ticking clock scenario in the climax, that Octopussy already used.

It's okay to use it in Octopussy, cause it hasn't been used since YOLT, if I remember correct.  But to re-use it again one movie later just feels tired.  They also redo the same scenario in Octopussy where the villain says to his henchmen, "Go out and get him".  And then the henchman doesn't want to risk his life and the villain says "GO!".

This exact thing was done in Octopussy.  They also redo the scenario where Q or MI6 as in general, is looking for Bond in the end, and they catch him having sex.  This has been done before as well, in the Moore era, twice.  Three times if we are counting the talking bird as part of that routine in FYEO.  They didn't catch Bond having sex, but they caught him in awkward moment still.

So I think that is why it feels tired, like they are just hitting another one for the road, no?

And I think a lot of fans, myself included, would be acceptable with Moore's age, if they would just play it for strengths.  I like how in Octopussy, they case an older Bond girl, and I wish they had done the same here.  Tanya Roberts is so young looking compared to him that in the shower sex scene at the end, just makes Roger literally look like a dirty old man.  I wish maybe they just didn't get together at all, and they just departed as friends with a hug, which I thought would have been so much better, yet more original and less tired.

On another note, the sex noise Roger makes at the end with her, just before the credits, is so cringeworthy.  And Roger didn't even have to make that noise.  It's almost as if John Glen said "remember Roger, you're a dirty old man in this one, so you have to make dirty old man noises in this scene".
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 23, 2017 12:47 pm

You stumbled into the wrong thread with that post, my friend.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 7:42 am

ironpony wrote:
the sex noise Roger makes at the end with her

Sex noise, eh?

Guess now we know why Tanya Roberts was wet and it wasn't because the shower was running.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 10:58 pm

CJB wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Sex noise, eh?

Guess now we know why Tanya Roberts was wet and it wasn't because the shower was running.

big laugh

That sound was Roger Moore realising Roberts' mother was his age probably.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 11:58 pm

Hilly KCMG wrote:
CJB wrote:
ironpony wrote:

Sex noise, eh?

big laugh

That sound was Roger Moore realising Roberts' mother was his age probably.

Plenty of room on the Rogercoaster for both.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 26, 2017 2:09 am

ironpony wrote:
I think the problem with AVTAK and that it feels 'tired' is that it recycles things that some people don't even notice.  Like for example it re-used the ticking clock scenario in the climax, that Octopussy already used.

It's okay to use it in Octopussy, cause it hasn't been used since YOLT, if I remember correct.  But to re-use it again one movie later just feels tired.  They also redo the same scenario in Octopussy where the villain says to his henchmen, "Go out and get him".  And then the henchman doesn't want to risk his life and the villain says "GO!".

I agree with you about the line "Go out and get him." Shockingly bad judgement on Glen to reuse the same line used in the previous film. And the line got a big laugh in OP because of Kabir Bedi's eyes getting big, but that exact same line fell totally flat in the theater with AVTAK. You could have heard a pin drop.

Ticking time bomb doesn't really bother me much. Must admit I still get a chill down my spine watching May Day sacrifice herself, John Barry's score, and May Day looking up at Zorin with that "Gotcha sucka!" look on her face. Grace Jones didn't have steel teeth or a razor-brimmed derby, but through sheer force of will, body language and attitude, she makes a lot out of what could have been a nothing part, and ends up being among the best of Bond's foes.

Quote :

And I think a lot of fans, myself included, would be acceptable with Moore's age, if they would just play it for strengths.  I like how in Octopussy, they case an older Bond girl, and I wish they had done the same here.  Tanya Roberts is so young looking compared to him that in the shower sex scene at the end, just makes Roger literally look like a dirty old man.  I wish maybe they just didn't get together at all, and they just departed as friends with a hug, which I thought would have been so much better, yet more original and less tired.

On another note, the sex noise Roger makes at the end with her, just before the credits, is so cringeworthy.  And Roger didn't even have to make that noise.  It's almost as if John Glen said "remember Roger, you're a dirty old man in this one, so you have to make dirty old man noises in this scene".

Well, there's absolutely no chemistry between Moore and Roberts. She was...challenged, to put it diplomatically. And she feels like a reward for Bond at the end, rather than a worthy companion. Like a dog at the Westminster Kennel Show who gets a treat after jumping through the obstacle course; she's nothing more than a palate cleanser for Bond; dessert after a 7 course meal of saving the world. With Connery or Craig that kind of disposable Bond Girl might work, but didn't feel right with Moore, and she'd fit right in with Fleming's Bond, but by the time the movies were popular that kind of vapid bimbo was a bit passe. One of the least memorable or useful Bond Girls, and very poorly acted by Roberts.

This would have been a great starter film for a Simon McCorkindale or an Antony Hamilton...hard to see Dalton in this film. Moore should've left after Octopussy and then then everyone recast from Bond on down. I like everyone involved, but an action film is a young man's game, and there are too many senior citizens in this film to the point where you can't tell where COCOON ended and AVTAK began. I would've kept Walken or David Bowie, along with Grace Jones, but with Antony Hamilton as Bond would've brought in a younger actor to play Tibbet. Also would've eliminated Beach Boys song, and maybe done something with the role of Jenny Flex and made her the lead role instead of Stacy Sutton. If Moore stays in the film then I would've brought back Barbara Bach to play XXX instead of Pola Ivanova, and I would've again eliminated Stacy Sutton from the film (or greatly reduced her link to the main story), and would've considered bringing back David Hedison to play Felix instead of David Yip as Chuck Lee.

Duran Duran would still perform the title song because.....well, they're just the best!!!
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 26, 2017 7:28 am

This thread might be of interest, Grav: https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/t3328-recasting-bond-films 

Regarding Stacey, I disagree. Sure, there has been better chemistry between Bond and his woman in the series, but I like Stacey's arc in the film, there hasn't been a girl like her before or since then, and Roberts is smoking hot. All of Moore's Bond girls have been disposable in Moore's era - it's been the opposite in Craig, which each one teaching him something, a catalyst of M's lectures or the two loves of his life. sarcasm  

I like your appreciation for May Day. Such a strong presence full of great moments, from the blimp scene, to her jump off the tower, to her deaths scene. And of course "someone will take care of you" / "you'll see to that personally, will you?"
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 9:19 pm

I won't bore everyone with one of my long rambling reviews and just say I enjoy every minute of this movie and it's very re-watchable 9/10

Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 9:20 pm

Personally, I would be interested in a long rambling review about VTAK. Especially, as I have specialised in such reviews myself.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyThu Sep 12, 2019 9:45 pm

haha Thank you Hilly you are all very, kind sweet people here as well as very intelligent in your reviews so I never feel I can quite match it. But I will try as soon as I get enough time to slack off at work.   :)
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 2:09 am

Bond+Steed=magic
I mean, it's heaven for spy nerds. What's not to love?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

A View To A Kill appreciation thread
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next