More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

A View To A Kill appreciation thread

Go down 
+13
lachesis
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
CJB
hegottheboot
j7wild
Walecs
00Beast
tiffanywint
TedHeath
Prince Kamal Khan
Perilagu Khan
Largo's Shark
Gravity's Silhouette
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 11:29 am

Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
This thread might be of interest, Grav: https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/t3328-recasting-bond-films 

Regarding Stacey, I disagree. Sure, there has been better chemistry between Bond and his woman in the series, but I like Stacey's arc in the film, there hasn't been a girl like her before or since then, and Roberts is smoking hot. All of Moore's Bond girls have been disposable in Moore's era - it's been the opposite in Craig, which each one teaching him something, a catalyst of M's lectures or the two loves of his life. sarcasm  

I like your appreciation for May Day. Such a strong presence full of great moments, from the blimp scene, to her jump off the tower, to her deaths scene. And of course "someone will take care of you" / "you'll see to that personally, will you?"

What's so great about Stacy's arc though? Her role in the movie is that she gets caught up in the plot, because she doesn't want to sell her house to the villain. Is that really much of a deep arc, or high stakes for her?
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 2:21 pm

The problem is I always sound like a fan girl who likes anything Bond without the ability to be critical and maybe that's true. I think part of that is because I don't watch many movies in general so nothing feels worn out or copied to me. I have read multiple references to XXX when people talk about DAD and the Bourne series when talking about Craig movies but not having seen either it obviously can't be an issue for me. As far as AVTAK goes, again I just felt entertained from beginning to end so it's difficult to find faults in it. I can see how the plot mirrors Goldfinger but I don't have a problem with that.I like the rhyming themes and think it's a positive. Of course it's not as good but for me nothing comes close to the first six movies or so and I don't even bother to compare them to those gems.
 The age factor seems to be a common complaint when it comes to Roger in AVTAK and that's not something I can agree with at all. If I have to suspend disbelief enough that this character is that intelligent, resourceful, and deadly at 35 then he is going to be all the more so twenty years later with all that experience.
As far as the physical stunts go they aren't realistic at any age so I can go with it. It's the same in martial arts the guy who is older and has been training 20 years longer is almost always deadlier. And despite how flawed the movie was I thought Connery looked cooler in NSNA than any of his previous movies. The idea that Roger is too old for the leading lady doesn't make any sense to me at all nor is it creepy. It's about the personality not the age so all of that was a total non issue. The movie itself is highly entertaining and has all the right elements. Zorin is about as good as it get's for a villain, has a creepy little Nazi backstory and his whole personality is quite unconventional and unpredictable. There were so many great scenes with him and even the smaller moments like him checking out who Bond was on the PC and his reactions were quite funny. I don't know much about Walken but I loved how he delivers his lines." If you're the best they've got, they're more likely to try and cover up your embarrassing incompetence.'"You amuse me Mr Bond."  Bonds cold response to that too was well, very Bond.

I can't say enough about May Day, she memorizes me whenever she is on the screen. She is as beautiful as she is deadly, her style from her dress to her mannerisms are incredible and she is actually convincing as a henchwoman which isn't easy for a female. I mean I love Xenia Onatopp and can buy it, but for pure presence it's pretty hard to beat May Day even with limited acting skills. THAT body, those eyes, those lips it makes you want to kiss her but she might just snap your neck. Very intriguing.The training bit with her and Zorin sparring and ending up on the floor was insanely erotic. I'd love to know who was responsible for her whole style in general. Was that part of the 80's thing? The whole movie has great style.
 That's a big part of the movie for me too, I love anything that looks and sounds 80's and wish I could have been part of that decade. This movie couldn't be anymore 80's and the theme song has to be my favorite Bond theme ever. I love how it weaves in and out of the movie with the orchestra version especially in scenes like where he is carrying Stacey down the ladder.  
 I know Beach Boys but that opening ski chase/snow boarding is still pretty amazing and the song isn't enough to ruin it for me. And finding the picture of the other agents wife on his body added the emotion to the scene.  The chase, fight and parachuting May Day off the Eiffel Tower has to be one of the best moments.
 The steeplechase is classic gimmicky Bond and while it does still have the Moore cartoon effect at times the film is quite dark too. Zorin is a really chilling psychopath. His improvised plan at city hall, throwing the agent down the shaft, and of course machine gunning all his own workers. Humorous too when they drop the guy out of the blimp.
 Stacey Sutton is as beautiful as she is cute and I still think a very formidable,courageous, everyday Bond girl. She fights, uses her wits and fills in all the gaps to help Bond defeat Zorin. As for getting caught by the blimp that turned out to be more of a stupid move on Zorins part than hers as it let Bond get aboard too. From there she ends up taking out one of his goons. This after being attacked in her own home,witnessing her boss get murdered, surviving the elevator inferno, driving the fire truck and joining Bond to face down Zorin at the end. I can't help but be impressed by her character. I would have taken the cheque and gotten the hell out of town. As for her raspy voice and screams I know it's not a popular opinion but I really liked it, it's sexy. Another great little moment is her smile when she turns on the sirens on the fire truck...just so damn cute and adorable.

Bond with a shotgun, always cool to see and I wouldn't mind a quiche.
 The Golden Gate bridge finale was as exciting as any other Bond film I can think of right now. His concern for May Day was quite touching too when she sacrificed herself with the bomb. I can't help but wonder what he was thinking and feeling here as she was one viscous killer.That she redeemed herself or could? I'm not sure but it was a nice touch and another look at Bonds character.
a good plot with millions of lives at stake, great characters, one of the best villains, hot women, action, adventure...I don't see what this one is missing in any way and thought Roger went out on a high note 

with Goldfinger I feel like I get a nice slice of the 60's and AVTAK a nice slice of the 80's both of which fascinate me even in terms of style
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 3 EmptyFri Sep 13, 2019 8:37 pm

I just saw the music video now it's even cooler.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 12:38 am

Great write up Sarai. You bring up an interesting point at the end which never really occurred to me. Bond's teaming up with May Day, despite her being responsible for Tibbet's death, is a fascinating development. Perhaps more could be done with this dynamic.

ironpony wrote:
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang wrote:
This thread might be of interest, Grav: https://bondandbeyond.forumotion.com/t3328-recasting-bond-films 

Regarding Stacey, I disagree. Sure, there has been better chemistry between Bond and his woman in the series, but I like Stacey's arc in the film, there hasn't been a girl like her before or since then, and Roberts is smoking hot. All of Moore's Bond girls have been disposable in Moore's era - it's been the opposite in Craig, which each one teaching him something, a catalyst of M's lectures or the two loves of his life. sarcasm  

I like your appreciation for May Day. Such a strong presence full of great moments, from the blimp scene, to her jump off the tower, to her deaths scene. And of course "someone will take care of you" / "you'll see to that personally, will you?"

What's so great about Stacy's arc though?   Her role in the movie is that she gets caught up in the plot, because she doesn't want to sell her house to the villain.  Is that really much of a deep arc, or high stakes for her?

Check out this thread, ironpony! smile

Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 2:14 am

Good write up on AVTAK, Sarai.

Agree that the film oozes 80's charm, in no small part because of Barry's score. It's the first of a trifecta of Bond films that really captured the era (FYEO was still at the tail end of the disco era and OP didn't have much of a vibe at all, Cold War themed plot aside).
Back to top Go down
ironpony
Q Branch
Q Branch
ironpony

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 3 EmptySat Sep 14, 2019 2:20 am

I checked out the thread, but what am I looking for? It didn't talk much about Stacy's arc.
Back to top Go down
hegottheboot
Head of Station
Head of Station
hegottheboot

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 3 EmptySun Sep 15, 2019 3:16 am

AVTAK and all the 80's films drastically improve when viewed in a home theater environment and especially on the big screen. They weren't designed for small screens and since they aren't as bombastic I think they tend to not be as impressive at home overall.
It will help when the 4K transfers arrive on disc as none of these have had new masters in decades.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A View To A Kill appreciation thread   A View To A Kill appreciation thread - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

A View To A Kill appreciation thread
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3