More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

The Star Trek Thread, 3.0

Go down 
+9
j7wild
Tubes
Control
trevanian
Fairbairn-Sykes
Hilly
The White Tuxedo
Blunt Instrument
Makeshift Python
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 37  Next
AuthorMessage
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:09 pm

So it looks like Fathom Events will once again be showing TNG remastered episodes on the big screen this time with S2 episodes. TrekCore is betting "Q Who" will be one of the two which I agree with. Whatever the other episode is, it must be "The Measure of a Man" as that's not only considered a true stand out for S2 but for all of Trek. If they actually show the extended cut in theaters, I think I might go to it.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyTue Oct 16, 2012 9:41 pm

I really dig looking through those HD screencaps everytime a new episode is uploaded, especially with Sir Patrick Stewart making awkward faces.

The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 Homesoil_hd_019

The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 Christ10

The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 Homesoil_hd_013
"Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice."
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyFri Oct 19, 2012 10:29 pm

Reunion- lumme, Suzie Plakson made for a striking Klingon to put it mildly.

Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 9:35 pm

Hands and mitts on TOS' second season. Remastered, yes (insert nickname here) but on the cheap. Tin box et al. Seems I'm determined to get non-matching boxsets. Season 1 was that blasted HD-DVD combo thing, also on the cheap.

Theme developing.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 7:27 am

Star Trek Voyager (Season 7 Reviews)

Fuck, I am so sick of this show.

"Nightingale"
So it's Harry Kim's first command, which I think we've seen before on this show. The B-plot is basically the same "character who doesn't understand humanity F***S up their first attempts at love" episode that we've seen on this show already with Seven and the Doc, and also on DS9 with Odo, and on TNG with Data -- this time with Icheb going after B'Elanna based on weak premises for the pure result of weak "hilarious" misunderstandings. The entire thing feels thrown together and thrown in to fill time. The A-plot itself is super predictable (the helpless aliens we're assisting aren't what they appear to be) and the ending is nonsensical (the whole point is that it's super hard to get passed the blockade, but once Harry accomplishes the goal of getting in, he's able to get back out lickety-split in the commercial break no problem).
So what's worthwhile in this episode? Actually, quite a lot. It's the first, I think, really GOOD Harry Kim episode, because it acknowledges the truth of the character. It acknowledges that the dude is way too old and inexperienced to still be an ensign. He actually, in dialogue, confronts the captain about it. It would've been nice if he'd gotten promoted at the end of the episode, but at least the episode comes out and says it. And his whole arc of always being Tom's sidekick is examined, as well as the fact that all previous Kim episodes were usually based around him falling in love with the wrong girl. It looks at all that Kim has been so far and says "Fuck, even Harry Kim hates being Harry Kim," and gives him the chance to be something more. It's smart in the way it handles his character and his attitude and Garrett Wang does a helluva job with the script.
Sucks that I know everything will be back to normal next episode. This fucking show.
# of Crew: 137 Total -- 117 Starfleet, 13 Maquis, 4 Civilians
# of Shuttles: -4
# of Warp Cores: 2
# of Photon Torpedoes: -46
# of Gel Packs: 30
Distance to Alpha Quadrant: 24,722.16 lightyears
Opportunities to Get Home Missed: 11
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 5:09 pm

The theatrical showings of the remastered S2 TNG episodes will be "Q Who" and "The Measure of a Man" extended cut. Well, I'm sold.

http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/24102012theatre.html
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyWed Oct 24, 2012 11:50 pm

Better lot than last time.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyThu Oct 25, 2012 11:06 pm

TNG's Night Terrors

I never mind the episode but the Deanna flying sequences was the absolute limit. The better parts tended to involve everyone else. Even the fact they looked tired/old as the episode went further on. The alien stuff seemed out of place. It somehow would've been better not to do it that way. God knows how. Shame there wasn't more tetchy Beverly Crusher. Hmm, what, never mind.

The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 Nightterrors158

Renew! Renew! Renew!
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 4:54 am

Working on a show with two Trekkies who are as knowledgable as we are. One of them is also on that level with all things Bond, including the books. So weird to talk about this shit in person to someone. laugh

I've wowed one of them with my unpopular opinions.

-BSG finale is crap.
-CAPRICA complete waste of time until last five minutes (or at least 80 or 90% waste of time).
-nuTrek sucks.

But at least one of them is a committed Niner.

Actually, I've dropped a number of bombshells like that (just for fun), but I can't remember what they were.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 5:21 am

TrekCore has now uploaded HD caps of "The Arsenal of Freedom".

I remember Trev said that the HD would not compliment the S1 planet sets well. I call that an understatement.

The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 Thearsenaloffreedom_hd_059

The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 Thearsenaloffreedom_hd_063
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 5:31 am

Jesus fuck.
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 11:35 am

Er, yeah ... not THAT much of an improvement on 60s Trek, really.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 5:13 pm

No purple skies.

Boy I hate early TNG.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptySun Nov 04, 2012 6:17 pm

Blunt Instrument wrote:

It works on TOS because of the OTT look and feel of the whole show. At least to me.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 1:10 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:

It works on TOS because of the OTT look and feel of the whole show. At least to me.

Yeah, there was a matter of style with Finnerman, and Francis. No stylistic approach here, just boldface awfulness. Don't think I'll be in any rush to screen this stuff when I get an HD TV.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 2:59 am

Yeah, and because 1966 says something different than 1987 in terms of what people expect.

Voyager Season 7 Reviews

"Flesh and Blood"

So, of all the 2-hour Voyager telefilms, this is I think the best so far. I mean, it's just as dumb and over-the-top as the others, and I feel like I'm gonna have to sit through at least four or five bottle shows to make up for all the money they spent on this one. The premise -- that the holograms we gave the Hirogen have risen up in revolt -- is at times asinine and the amount of hoops we need to jump through to get the story where it needs to go is insane, but once we get where we need to be, things do work. I appreciated that the leader of the hologram revolt is a crazy Bajoran terrorist who wants to set himself up as hologram Jesus and that the episode actually acknowledges that not all holograms are ultra-advanced potentially sentient beings -- I love when he "liberates" some mining holograms and they are just simple programs. And then the episode manages to end in a big action climax complete with one liners and it doesn't feel totally forced.
But the first half is just freaking awful. Janeway has an argument with Chakotay where she argues that they have a responsibility to help the Hirogen because it was a huge mistake to give them holodeck technology -- and acts like she wasn't the one who made that decision. There is actual dialogue where she says that giving replicators to feed and clothe people is different and something they've had to do, when the first two seasons were all about her steadfast refusal NOT TO DO THAT. Janeway is just batshit crazy in this episode.
Why do the holograms need a home planet? Being in a simulation is indistinguishable from reality for them -- why not Moriarty them all and give them some planet within a computer chip?
Where did the massive medical staff Doc has in this episode come from? What the fuck?
In short -- the first half is a nonsenscial mess but once we ease into the second half and don't have to worry about setting up the premise, things are much better.
Also -- while using Alpha Quadrant computer based holograms was a nice way to utilize the DS9 alien costumes, what the fuck is a Jem'Hadar doing here? There's no way at all that they would be in the database VOY gave the Hirogen.
This is an episode that ocassionally used great continuity (holy shit, referencing the holo-uprising based episode from a few weeks back that sucked and using it to make this one better? Remembering the Maquis??) and then ocassionally shat all over it. Also, once again, the only way Janeway makes sense is if you fanon that she is crazy.
# of Crew: 137 Total -- 117 Starfleet, 13 Maquis, 4 Civilians
# of Shuttles: -4
# of Warp Cores: 2
# of Photon Torpedoes: -50
# of Gel Packs: 30
Distance to Alpha Quadrant: 24,657.6 lightyears
Opportunities to Get Home Missed: 11
How did NO ONE die in that episode?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyMon Nov 05, 2012 8:08 am

About the Jem'Hadar, I think it's feasible they'd be in VOY's database, as by the time they left they were simply known as foot soldiers of the Dominion.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 6:51 am

Lol, Riker.

The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 Symbiosis_hd_433
Back to top Go down
Blunt Instrument
00 Agent
00 Agent
Blunt Instrument

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 1:33 pm

trevanian wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:
Blunt Instrument wrote:

Yeah, there was a matter of style with Finnerman, and Francis. No stylistic approach here, just boldface awfulness. Don't think I'll be in any rush to screen this stuff when I get an HD TV.

Was just observing that the Blu-Ray/HD picture makes it look kinda like there hadn't been any budgetary increases and advancements in making studio set 'planet surfaces' seem more 'outdoors' since original Trek.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 8:00 pm

Just got an email from LA-LA Land.

Quote :
LA-LA LAND RECORDS PRESENTS
PRESS RELEASE: November 7, 2012

LA-LA LAND RECORDS INVITES YOU TO JOIN US
FOR THE
STAR TREK THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION CELEBRATION!
Dec 3, 2012, 7:30pm at the historic Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, CA
Admission to this event is FREE!
Join La-La Land Records as it marks its 10th anniversary with the release of the STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION at the historic Egyptian Theater in Hollywood, CA on Dec 3rd, 2012, at 7:30pm.

We will celebrate with two classic TREK episodes, MIRROR, MIRROR and AMOK TIME on the BIG screen courtesy of CBS, followed by a special discussion with original series composer Gerald Fried and writer David Gerrold, hosted by Trek music writer and TOS soundtrack set co-producer Jeff Bond.
The event is free of charge and all attendees will get a complimentary small popcorn and soda! There will also be a T-shirt giveaway and more!
Additionally, the STAR TREK: THE ORIGINAL SERIES SOUNDTRACK COLLECTION will be available for purchase at the event, a day ahead of its official Dec. 4th release! RETAIL PRICE: $225.00 (tax included).

Go to www.lalalandrecords.com now to get your free tickets and we’ll see you at the big show!
In updated news regarding the set itself – while a 100-page booklet was originally announced as part of the set, to best present the project’s liner notes in the most informative, manageable and appealing manner possible, it was determined to divide the notes into a 24 page overview booklet, supplemented by three individual season-specific 33-page booklets (each of which will be housed within its corresponding clamshell case).

If only I lived LA right now.
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptyThu Nov 08, 2012 2:07 am

Frakes directed the first episode of CASTLE I've watched, just this week. It was murder at an SF convention, kind of a GALAXY QUEST type thing, with Armin Shimmerman in a small part. Several decent in-jokes, including Nathan Fillion doing a bad Shatner impression and a fairly good Stewart one (make sure history remembers the name enterprise.) Fillion also mentions that there have been good space shows, like TREK and the one Josh Whedon did.
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 5:11 am

Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptySat Nov 10, 2012 5:54 am

trevanian wrote:
Frakes directed the first episode of CASTLE I've watched, just this week. It was murder at an SF convention, kind of a GALAXY QUEST type thing, with Armin Shimmerman in a small part. Several decent in-jokes, including Nathan Fillion doing a bad Shatner impression and a fairly good Stewart one (make sure history remembers the name enterprise.) Fillion also mentions that there have been good space shows, like TREK and the one Josh Whedon did.

I saw a bit of that. Oh boy, Mal is really becoming the Shat. :shock:
Back to top Go down
trevanian
Head of Station
Head of Station
trevanian

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 1:49 am

My wife was traumatized seeing him that big. Course, we'd just rewatched all of FF, so his shiny cheeks were still in mind.

Hope he doesn't go the way of MIcheal O'Hare, where you get insanely fat and then die a couple decades early.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 EmptySun Nov 11, 2012 9:15 am

Gonna post a VOY review in the morning but I would like to reiterate now how utterly unfair it is that Scarlett Pomers is now unbearably hot. One google image seaech and I'm like GODDAMN. And she is my age! Would make sitting through VOY so much more bearable if modern Scarlett was on it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Star Trek Thread, 3.0   The Star Trek Thread, 3.0 - Page 20 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Star Trek Thread, 3.0
Page 20 of 37Go to page : Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 28 ... 37  Next