More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

[SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)

Go down 
+21
Louis Armstrong
FourDot
HJackson
Control
dr. strangelove
Hilly
Manhunter
jet set willy
lachesis
bondfan06
Makeshift Python
Jack Wade
Harmsway
Largo's Shark
The White Tuxedo
Blunt Instrument
Prisoner Monkeys
Tubes
Fairbairn-Sykes
tiffanywint
Gravity's Silhouette
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
AuthorMessage
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

[SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 2:30 am

Bale's a real good egg. He went the distance for these people. Check out the rest of the pictures at Brown's link.

[SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 Article-2178497-1433AE16000005DC-520_634x436

[SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 Article-2178497-14337623000005DC-875_634x356

Jack Wade wrote:
Chris Nolan's goodbye to Batman:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/171933-christopher-nolans-goodbye-to-the-batman-franchise

I'm getting choked up. Best to bring some hankies when I go for second viewing in a few weeks time. :( :|
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 5:48 am

I saw THE DARK KNIGHT RISES again today (not in IMAX, and while the visual grandeur of IMAX is compelling, the sound mix is much better when it's not hampered by the overwhelming bass of IMAX speakers) and it's clear to me that this is by far the strongest of the three films.

I'm working on a review to tease out some of what I see at play here. I admire the obvious and not-so-obvious ways in which the film substantially critiques the previous two installments.

Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 7:59 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
RAIDERS and THE GODFATHER for sure. Fine examples of each film getting progressively better.
Are you being sarcastic there Sharky?

Raiders is easily the best of the 4 Indy films, and Godfather 3 doesn't even deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as the first 2 flicks.
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:14 pm

jet set willy wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
RAIDERS and THE GODFATHER for sure. Fine examples of each film getting progressively better.

Nope. LAST CRUSADE > TEMPLE OF DOOM > RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and THE GODFATHER PART III > THE GODFATHER PART II > THE GODFATHER.
Back to top Go down
jet set willy
'R'
'R'
jet set willy

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:34 pm

Largo's Shark wrote:
jet set willy wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:

Nope. LAST CRUSADE > TEMPLE OF DOOM > RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK and THE GODFATHER PART III > THE GODFATHER PART II > THE GODFATHER.
Well, you certainly don't follow the norm as far as movie tastes go.

Next you'll be saying The Phantom Menace is better than Empire Strikes Back....... ;)
Back to top Go down
http://www.filmnav.co.uk
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyWed Jul 25, 2012 8:59 pm

jet set willy wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
jet set willy wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:

Well, you certainly don't follow the norm as far as movie tastes go.

Next you'll be saying The Phantom Menace is better than Empire Strikes Back....... ;)

Even I'm not that crazy. :)
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:27 am

I see the split on this thread just happened. Just added a link to the original thread on the first post of this one.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 12:36 am

Indeed, looked like for a moment it was going to break the mould but the elastic sort of snapped.

New Members thread soon.

[SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 Mqdefault
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Tubes
Q Branch
Q Branch
Tubes

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 1:44 am

I understand it's done for storage purposes, but I miss the mega-threads.
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyThu Jul 26, 2012 9:04 pm

Seem to remember the Last Bond Movie You Watched thread on old MI6 was well into the 400's by the time it was zapped. Maybe one day this forum will break the mould for truncated threads.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 3:50 am

Having thought of it, TDKR is basically TWINE. Protagonist fighting a terrorist who feels no pain. Has a one night stand with the sexiest woman in the flick who turns out to be the mastermind behind the scheme, with the terrorist leader actually being a lackey all along.

Difference between the two is that one is actually done competently.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:09 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
Having thought of it, TDKR is basically TWINE. Protagonist fighting a terrorist who feels no pain. Has a one night stand with the sexiest woman in the flick who turns out to be the mastermind behind the scheme, with the terrorist leader actually being a lackey all along.

A bald villain who feels no pain. Very good. I didn't even think of TWINE.

And kudos for saying Marion Cotillard is the sexiest woman in the film. I think she's a good ten times sexier than Anne Hathaway. Hathaway does a fine job, and she does fit the film. But she's hardly a definitive Catwoman to me. I'll take Michelle Pfeiffer anyday over her.

The third woman in the film is Juno Temple. I find her oddly sexy in a completely different way from Cotillard. Temple looks like a fun little tart.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:33 am

Nah, the character Pfeffier plays barely resembles any other form of Selina Kyle. Hathaway is the character come to life.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:37 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Nah, the character Pfeffier plays barely resembles any other form of Selina Kyle.

It resembles Tim Burton's. That's good enough for me.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:45 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Nah, the character Pfeffier plays barely resembles any other form of Selina Kyle. Hathaway is the character come to life.

This is good news, because her portrayal does ring-true with an authenticity, that I didn't quite get from Pfeiffer. Pfeiff came across as more of an edgier version of the Julie Newmar CW
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:45 am

Right, because Burton's such a visionary and the further he was able to take the characters from anything resembling their original form the better, 70 years of source storytelling be damned. I'm sure you'd be happy if Superman was a molesting pedophile in his next film, being as that would be a "commendable deconstruction of the laughable heroic archetype" or somesuch.

Of course, so far as you're concered it's far more important to have a good art director than a good writer.

As for Cotillard, while I didn't find her sexier than Hathaway I did indeed find her sexy. And I've never really found her attractive in any of her previous movie appearances at all, so that's a big step up for her.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:48 am

Makeshift Python wrote:

You know that parallel is actually pretty close! Good eye!
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:52 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Right, because Burton's such a visionary and the further he was able to take the characters from anything resembling their original form the better. .

Exactly. He made BATMAN distinctively his own. He didn't capitulate to another comic book writer's vision, which is part of why I think WATCHMEN failed. Snyder tried too hard to dot the i's and cross the t's of Alan Moore's source, resulting in an authentic (minus calamari), but yet ultimately impersonal and uncompelling work.

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Of course, so far as you're concered it's far more important to have a good art director than a good writer.

I think RETURNS has got the later, particularly in its wit. It's just not faithful to the comic books.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 4:57 am

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:04 am

Largo's Shark wrote:

I think RETURNS has got the later, particularly in its wit. It's just not faithful to the comic books.

It does have good wit, but in terms of things like character motivation and basic plot structure, it's a complete mess.

I will admit that Burton's ability to make the characters his own and not be a slave to source material is great, but what I dislike is when a character is changed so much as to be near unrecognizable.
Would you laud an adaptation of GREAT GATSBY that, say, interpreted Daisy Buchanan as an opium addicted negro hooker with a peg leg?

Pfieffer's Catwoman isn't that fargone, but what I am trying to say is that I appreciate that now, after three previous live action feature film versions, we finally have a Catwoman who actually does resemble the character from the page.

Nolan's films aren't nearly as slavish to the source as Snyder's WATCHMEN, either. There's quite a lot of reinterpretation going on.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:09 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I'm sure you'd be happy if Superman was a molesting pedophile in his next film, being as that would be a "commendable deconstruction of the laughable heroic archetype" or somesuch.

That would almost be as disturbing as your avatar.

Yes, that would be disturbing 😕

Personally I like all 7 of the big Bat films. My favourite would be Batman Begins with Bale, followed by the TDKR, with the Clooney film last and the other 4 all mixed in the middle.
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
I'm sure you'd be happy if Superman was a molesting pedophile in his next film, being as that would be a "commendable deconstruction of the laughable heroic archetype" or somesuch.

That would almost be as disturbing as your avatar.

You seemed to be pleased with Routh/Singer's portrayal of the character as a stalker/homewrecker/absentee father.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:11 am

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Pfieffer's Catwoman isn't that fargone, but what I am trying to say is that I appreciate that now, after three previous live action feature film versions, we finally have a Catwoman who actually does resemble the character from the page.

But she's bland and monotone as hell. I take Pfeiffer's personality over that.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:13 am

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Tue Oct 05, 2021 8:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 27, 2012 5:15 am

Reeves' Superman doesn't follow Lois everywhere she goes, spying on her without her knowledge. That whole sequence where he watches her family from outside is disturbing.

Also, I don't see how Hathaway's Cat is bland or monotone. She was the biggest spark of fun and personality in the flick's otherwise dour outlook.

Last edited by Fairbairn-Sykes on Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)   [SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0) - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

[SPOILERS] The Dark Knight Rises (2.0)
Page 6 of 11Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next