More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?

Go down 
+27
trevanian
CJB
James. C
GeneralGogol
jet set willy
Jack Wade
Walecs
lachesis
Seve
MBalje
James Bond
Ravenstone
Lazenby.
groucho070
Moore
Perilagu Khan
Loomis
Vesper
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Harmsway
The White Tuxedo
Makeshift Python
Gravity's Silhouette
bitchcraft
Prisoner Monkeys
Largo's Shark
Control
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

What did you think of Adele's song?
Excellent (ranks among the best)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Vote_lcap10%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 10% [ 4 ]
Very good (ranks among the upper echelon)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Vote_lcap43%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 43% [ 18 ]
Good/Average (ranks among the middle of the pack)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Vote_lcap31%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 31% [ 13 ]
Fair/Below Average (ranks among the lower tier of songs)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Vote_lcap7%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 7% [ 3 ]
Awful (ranks at the bottom of the list)
What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Vote_lcap9%What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Vote_rcap
 9% [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 42

AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:01 am

I'd love to hear a decent remix.

Meanwhile, 2/3rds of Guardian musos readers appear to hate it.

Here's a sample of negative comments:

Quote :
Dire, X-Factoresque drivel.
Bjork or someone with a remotely interesting voice would have been nice, but the masses just want an artless belter.

Quote :
This is utter shit. I was utterly bored after 2 minutes and I was waiting for the big breakout and it just kept going exactly the same, with the inane lyrics and dreary melody.
Isn't she meant to be one of the greatest singer/songwriters ever? Yeah right, a couple of big selling albums and she's being compared to all manner of greats, what a disgrace.
And I totally agree with DusterUK, 'You Know My Name' is a really good tune, full of emotion and kicks along at a great pace.
This is just dreary crap which having heard it will make me go and get my popcorn and drinks whilst it's on. Thank you at least for that insight so I don't waste time queuing before the film.

Quote :
Who the hell cares? I wish Bond would just disappear along with the British Empire. What on Earth is the Guardian doing? Pathetic.

Quote :
Just makes you wish Shirley B from Tiger bay was doing this thing, it certainly exposes adele for the lightweight she is, vocally and musically speaking...is...

Quote :
It's bloated... heavy... over-hyped. Impregnated with smarm. And the song sucks big time, also.

Just be grateful Justno Beaver isn't British and was given the gig.

Quote :
Crumbs....really boring no effort spent in composing that was there. Was it done in just one key ? Just sounds like a draft version of diamonds are forever.

Quote :
'Crumble' is simply a terrible word to have in a dramatic song; to have it in the chorus, where it's both prominent and repeated, is disastrous.

And the backing vocals are really bad. (And the backing vocals are really bad).

Quote :
The function of film background music is to set a mood for the screen action but, itself, it should be completely "invisible". On that basis, this succeeds perfectly. No fault to Adele it's just a very weak, uninspired song which barely scrapes in as adequate because of a vaguely-Bondish modality.

Quote :
Generic pap. Incredibly meh.
I have to stick up for Jack White and Alicia Keys though. I thought Another Way To Die was pretty bad-ass. I second the opinion that Muse would have been a better choice.

Quote :
This is the first time I've heard Adele sing. I'm absolutely blown away at how mediocre and lifeless and bored she sounds.

Quote :
It makes Madonna's attempt sound classy!

Quote :
sounds like a fat amy winehouse. be honest.

Quote :
Let the skyfow
When it crumbows
We will stand tow
Terribow.
This truly, truly dreadfow.
Horribow.
Frightfow.

Quote :
Irritating from the very first couplet..."End" does not rhyme with "Ten".

It goes on... trying to rhyme "then" with "again", "end" with "moment" and "then" with "stolen".
lazy, lazy....

Quote :
It doesn't have that wow factor, the lyrics are terrible, this is beneath what both Adele and Bond got us used to... truly unremarkable.
And when she sings SKYFALL, change it for SCAFFOLD: tragically hilarious.

Quote :
Fucking loved it until I read all the comments. Now I hate it just like everyone else. In fact it's so bad, it's put me off music altogether.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/poll/2012/oct/05/skyfall-adele-bond?commentpage=3#start-of-comments
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:06 am

Quote :
Let the skyfow
When it crumbows
We will stand tow
Terribow.
Horribow.
Frightfow.

laugh
Back to top Go down
groucho070
Cipher Clerk
groucho070

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:07 am

Best since GE, easily.
Back to top Go down
http://grouchydays.blogspot.com
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:11 am

I believe trevanian mentioned this somewhere else, but one major issue with this song is that the instrumentation seems to overpower the vocals. The instruments sound flat, too. Maybe this will be corrected in the film?
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:12 am

I hope it's a totally different mix.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:12 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
I'd love to hear a decent remix.

Meanwhile, 2/3rds of Guardian musos readers appear to hate it.

Here's a sample of negative comments:

Quote :
Dire, X-Factoresque drivel.
Bjork or someone with a remotely interesting voice would have been nice, but the masses just want an artless belter.

Quote :
This is utter shit. I was utterly bored after 2 minutes and I was waiting for the big breakout and it just kept going exactly the same, with the inane lyrics and dreary melody.
Isn't she meant to be one of the greatest singer/songwriters ever? Yeah right, a couple of big selling albums and she's being compared to all manner of greats, what a disgrace.
And I totally agree with DusterUK, 'You Know My Name' is a really good tune, full of emotion and kicks along at a great pace.
This is just dreary crap which having heard it will make me go and get my popcorn and drinks whilst it's on. Thank you at least for that insight so I don't waste time queuing before the film.

Quote :
Who the hell cares? I wish Bond would just disappear along with the British Empire. What on Earth is the Guardian doing? Pathetic.

Quote :
Just makes you wish Shirley B from Tiger bay was doing this thing, it certainly exposes adele for the lightweight she is, vocally and musically speaking...is...

Quote :
It's bloated... heavy... over-hyped. Impregnated with smarm. And the song sucks big time, also.

Just be grateful Justno Beaver isn't British and was given the gig.

Quote :
Crumbs....really boring no effort spent in composing that was there. Was it done in just one key ? Just sounds like a draft version of diamonds are forever.

Quote :
'Crumble' is simply a terrible word to have in a dramatic song; to have it in the chorus, where it's both prominent and repeated, is disastrous.

And the backing vocals are really bad. (And the backing vocals are really bad).

Quote :
The function of film background music is to set a mood for the screen action but, itself, it should be completely "invisible". On that basis, this succeeds perfectly. No fault to Adele it's just a very weak, uninspired song which barely scrapes in as adequate because of a vaguely-Bondish modality.

Quote :
Generic pap. Incredibly meh.
I have to stick up for Jack White and Alicia Keys though. I thought Another Way To Die was pretty bad-ass. I second the opinion that Muse would have been a better choice.

Quote :
This is the first time I've heard Adele sing. I'm absolutely blown away at how mediocre and lifeless and bored she sounds.

Quote :
It makes Madonna's attempt sound classy!

Quote :
sounds like a fat amy winehouse. be honest.

Quote :
Let the skyfow
When it crumbows
We will stand tow
Terribow.
Horribow.
Frightfow.

Quote :
Irritating from the very first couplet..."End" does not rhyme with "Ten".

It goes on... trying to rhyme "then" with "again", "end" with "moment" and "then" with "stolen".
lazy, lazy....

Quote :
It doesn't have that wow factor, the lyrics are terrible, this is beneath what both Adele and Bond got us used to... truly unremarkable.
And when she sings SKYFALL, change it for SCAFFOLD: tragically hilarious.

Quote :
Fucking loved it until I read all the comments. Now I hate it just like everyone else. In fact it's so bad, it's put me off music altogether.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/musicblog/poll/2012/oct/05/skyfall-adele-bond?commentpage=3#start-of-comments

Confirms my already Stygian opinion of Guardian readers.

But what's Gravy doing posting on that rag?

laugh
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:14 am

No way does the instrumentation overpower the vocals. The production for this song is bang on.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:23 am

This is by far the gloomiest of all Bond songs, and that's kind of the problem. It's just not very dynamic. (And I gotta say this 4:45 version of the song way overstays its welcome.)

The back-up vocals really throw me. They're actually the most unique feature of the song, as far as Bond songs go, but rather than being evocative, they come off as kinda silly. I'd like 'em if they kept to the thinner, more ethereal sound they have when they're first introduced and never segued into the full-on choral sound they get around 2:40.

Last edited by Harmsway on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:26 am

Control wrote:
I believe trevanian mentioned this somewhere else, but one major issue with this song is that the instrumentation seems to overpower the vocals. The instruments sound flat, too. Maybe this will be corrected in the film?

Maybe someone on the web could EQ it to better enhance the vocals? (though that might draw more attention to the lyrics, which wouldn't help)
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:29 am

Harmsway wrote:
This is by far the gloomiest of all Bond songs, and that's kind of the problem. It's just not very dynamic. (And I gotta say this 4:45 version of the song way overstays its welcome.)

The back-up vocals really throw me. They're actually the most unique feature of the song, as far as Bond songs go, but rather than evocative, they sound kinda silly. I'd like 'em if they kept to the thinner, more ethereal sound they have when they're first introduced and never segued into the full-on choral sound they get around 2:40.

I agree with nearly all of those points. It's too long, and the back-up vocals are not to my liking. Though not as bad as "You Know My Name"'s "FORGET HOW TO FEEEELLL!!!!" and "SPIN OF THE WHEEEEEEEELLLLL!!!!!!!!!"

P.S. I virtually always hate back up vocals that repeat a line.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 3:38 am

One of my favourite bits is the middle 8 ("Where you go I go..."). Some lovely string writing there, interesting harmonies (finally escapes the Bond theme), and the melody's it as its most lyrical.

That would work very well in the score.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:21 am

2:54-3:17 should be cut.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:23 am

The White Tuxedo wrote:

I'm 100% sure it will. It's just filler, and the chorus doesn't sound so great on its own.

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:24 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
The White Tuxedo wrote:

I'm 100% sure it will. It's just filler. and the chorus doesn't so great on its own.

Oh, I know that will get axed in the film. Anonymous gospel choir or Adele? Adele.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:30 am

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Adele010
"Let the sky fall..."

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 91620-10
"Let the sky fall..."

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Adeles10
"When it crumbles!"

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Sn_gos10
"When it crumbles!"
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:42 am

laugh
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:48 am

laugh
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 4:54 am

I'm predicting Laz. to tell us in approximately 4 hours that SKYFALL is everything he expected it to be, A bland forgettable, "Bondesque", lifeless, generic, dirge, that rips off John Barry and is yet another similarity to TWINE. All of our problems would've been solved if EON had the f*cking balls to hire Mozza, PJ Harvey, The Smashing Pumpkins or Robin. Yadda yadda yadda. SKYFALL will be pure sh**e and you'll all realise come next March.

Signed,

Largo's Lazenby.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 5:35 am

You should have an army of Largonauts.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 5:50 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
I'm predicting Laz. to tell us in approximately 4 hours that SKYFALL is everything he expected it to be, A bland forgettable, "Bondesque", lifeless, generic, dirge, that rips off John Barry and is yet another similarity to TWINE.
Are you posting this for the benefit of people who have registered with BAB since Lazenby. last posted?

Because we're all pretty much expecting that. Lazenby. has hated everything to do with SKYFALL from the moment it was given a release date. Why on earth would he suddenly do an about-face on that? Given his increasingly-aggressive attacks on the film, part of me wonders whether he hasn't been genuinely surprised by it, but is stubbornly refusing to admit he was wrong and so has redoubled his efforts to compensate.

It's a shame, really. He used to be one of the most intelligent guys around here. Now he's just full of irrational hatred and zeal to convince as many people as possible that the film will be a travesty.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 5:54 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Largo's Shark wrote:
I'm predicting Laz. to tell us in approximately 4 hours that SKYFALL is everything he expected it to be, A bland forgettable, "Bondesque", lifeless, generic, dirge, that rips off John Barry and is yet another similarity to TWINE.

Are you posting this for the benefit of people who have registered with BAB since Lazenby. last posted?

I'm posting it to save Lazenby. having to post it again.

Sharkzenby is here to help.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 7:34 am

Largo's Shark wrote:
I'm posting it to save Lazenby. having to post it again.
Do you really think he considers it so much of a chore that he goes out of his way to avoid having to say it?

Fat chance. If anything, he's going to ignore (or choose to ignore) the obvious satire in your post and instead take it as an affirmation that he was right all along.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 9:42 am

https://www.facebook.com/pages/On-a-scale-of-one-to-Adele-how-depressed-are-you/224938484220150?fref=ts
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 9:45 am

laugh

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
If anything, he's going to ignore (or choose to ignore) the obvious satire in your post and instead take it as an affirmation that he was right all along.

This sounds strikingly familiar, though not to Lazenby. ;)
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 EmptyFri Oct 05, 2012 10:50 am

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 8055983729_4c7a1d47d6_h
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?   What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

What do you think of Adele's "Skyfall" theme?
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next