More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?

Go down 
+24
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
Gravity's Silhouette
Blunt Instrument
Jack Wade
Lazenby.
lachesis
Full Monty Norman
Yellow Pinky
Staugust
Vesper
Harmsway
Agent OO7
dr. strangelove
Campbell4
Control
Flush
CJB
Bryan Tee
boldfinger
KyBondFan
bitchcraft
Hilly
Largo's Shark
Walecs
28 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 6:15 am

Hilly KCMG wrote:
As John Barry said, what do you expect when you're a band called A-ha?

colgate

I like A-ha, but even that quote from Barry makes me laugh. Then again, what did he expect from a band called Duran Duran? I don't know what he was expecting, but he ended up helping D2 score one of the biggest hits in 1985, and still a song that never gets old with time. So the name in and of itself may not tell you much about the quality of the product.

I do think the soundtrack version of the song is better than what A-ha put on their 1988 album, but there was always a part of me that thought the song in the film needed just a bit more punch. I'd give the song a B+. I'd also suggest that TLD was probably the weakest of later Barry's soundtracks, so he might not be in a position to throw stones.

I've never heard that Duran Duran and Barry never got along; I just meant that I thought I remember reading somewhere (perhaps in the official movie magazine for AVTAK; I'll have to look it up) that Cubby wasn't sure he wanted Duran Duran because they weren't the right type of act for 007. Up to that point he'd mostly used adult contemporary acts like Carly Simon, Rita Coolidge, Sheena Easton, Shirley Bassey, Lulu....you can imagine an older man like Cubby not sure how to take a group ofmale New Wavers that wore eyeliner and make-up. We're not talking metal hair-bands, but it was still somewhat of a novelty for the Bond crowd back in 1985. But what a masterstroke of genius it was!
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 6:46 am

I think TLD's score ranks as one of Barry's best. "Mujahadin and Opium" alone is just majestic and I love his use of the TLD theme as an action cue and "If There Was a Man" for the romantic scenes. Even if it weren't meant to be his final score for Bond, it serves as a perfect swan song. But yeah, the a-Ha song certainly needed more punch to it.
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 7:27 am

Did John Barry leave the franchise because of his experience with A-ha, or were there other factors? And wasn't John Barry going to do Tomorrow Never Dies before recommending Arnold for the gig?
Back to top Go down
Makeshift Python
00 Agent
00 Agent
Makeshift Python

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 8:28 am

He was offered GE, but EON wasn't willing to give Barry the higher salary. I'm sure Sharky knows more.

Recommending Arnold was actually a prank of his. ;)
Back to top Go down
https://007homemedia.blogspot.com/
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 11, 2014 9:05 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
He was offered GE, but EON wasn't willing to give Barry the higher salary. I'm sure Sharky knows more.

Recommending Arnold was actually a prank of his. ;)

By the time of GE, I doubt Bond gave Barry any creative satisfaction so money would've been the main motivation. Likewise, in 1997 Barry was helping himself by promoting Arnold to Eon; much of the publishing on Shaken and Stirred belonged to Barry.
Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 2:09 am

In the post-SPECTRE announcement press junket, Ben Whishaw allegedly (I say "allegedly" because I'm having trouble tracking it down) said that he knows who is performing the title theme, but he is not at liberty to say who it is.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 2:46 am

Makeshift Python wrote:
I think TLD's score ranks as one of Barry's best. "Mujahadin and Opium" alone is just majestic and I love his use of the TLD theme as an action cue and "If There Was a Man" for the romantic scenes. Even if it weren't meant to be his final score for Bond, it serves as a perfect swan song. But yeah, the a-Ha song certainly needed more punch to it.

No, don't get me wrong, I like TLD's score, particularly the tracks you mention. But his action edits had the least amount of force in them I can remember. They didn't drive the action like a good score does. Case in point: Bond on top of the Range Rover as it plows through Gibraltar; the synthesizers flatten it just when it should be hitting its stride. Same with Bond and Kara being chased by the police.

You need a strong action score like the scene where Bond and Octopussy have to escape from the yo-you buzzsaw, or when Bond and Zorin fight to the death. Even the score with Bond and Christmas inside the oil pipeline is much stronger than what Barry put out on TLD (for the most part).

I guess what I'm saying is that I didn't care that much for the synthesizers in TLD; Barry's is so good that even his weakest stuff is still solid and better than anyone else.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 2:51 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
In the post-SPECTRE announcement press junket, Ben Whishaw allegedly (I say "allegedly" because I'm having trouble tracking it down) said that he knows who is performing the title theme, but he is not at liberty to say who it is.

Interview at the press conference (I've found the text; looking for the YouTube)

Reporter: Tell us about the gadgets – do you know what Q will be tinkering with in Spectre?

Whishaw: “I’m definitely not allowed to say anything, but there’s a few more than last time.”

Reporter: Who’s your dream theme song artist?

Whishaw: “I actually know who it is, but I can’t say. If I did I’d be hauled into someone’s office and given some very stern looks…”
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 3:15 am

http://www.heatworld.com/2014/12/exclusive-james-bond-s-ben-whishaw-on-playing-q-in-new-film-spectre-oh-my-goodness-i-m-in-a-bond-film#.VIUXMcm9ZmM

What do you make of the new additions to the cast?

“I think they’re incredibly interesting, I’m such an admirer of all these actors who are joining the team. Lea Seydoux and Christoph Waltz and Andrew Scott… Monica Bellucci. It’s really rich and wonderful.

What’s it like to be part of the Bond franchise as an actor?

“To be honest it’s a lot like any other job, apart from occasions like this, when you’re suddenly confronted with the reality and you hear the theme tune and there’s people and this amazing spectacle, but day-to-day it’s like doing anything else. It’s only on days like these you’re like, ‘Oh my goodness – I’m in a Bond film!’ and it feels massive and a bit daunting.

How conscious are you that you’d be part of history?

“You can’t dwell too much on that. [But] I have had a little moment, yes!

Tell us about the gadgets – do you know what Q will be tinkering with in Spectre?

“I’m definitely not allowed to say anything, but there’s a few more than last time.”

Who’s your dream theme song artist?

“I actually know who it is, but I can’t say. If I did I’d be hauled into someone’s office and given some very stern looks…”

Back to top Go down
Prisoner Monkeys
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Prisoner Monkeys

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 4:43 am

Well, that inspires confidence. With any luck, the title theme can be worked into the score properly.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
00 Agent
00 Agent
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 4:53 am

Prisoner Monkeys wrote:
Well, that inspires confidence. With any luck, the title theme can be worked into the score properly.

Yep! I agree! :)
Back to top Go down
Campbell4
Cipher Clerk
Campbell4

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 12:04 pm

Please let it be David Bowie.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 12:58 pm

I really hope Sam Smith doesn't get the job. I'm not able to sit through two minutes of his whiny shit.

I'd like them to bring back Adele. Aretha wouldn't mind, either:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/entertainment/music/news/franklin-im-a-big-fan-of-adele-30805370.html
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 2:02 pm

I don't think Adele will be back.

Lots of missed opportunities on the Bond song front and Pulp were one of the biggest. However, they never had any commercial clout outside Britain.

Five seconds in, The Art of Noise's Anne Dudley can be seen conducting the orchestra. She did the lovely Barry-esque string arrangement for this track and two years later won an Oscar.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 2:22 pm

I like their cover of "All Time High".
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 2:30 pm

I never liked that. With the best will in the world, Jarvis Cocker doesn't have a great singing voice. Unlike this diva:

Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 2:56 pm

I'm backing either Lana Del Rey or Rihanna.

Sam Smith is a waste.
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 5:25 pm

Put me down as a "no" for Sam Smith, as well. Can't say I've heard everything he's done, but the few tunes I have heard sound whiney and irritating. The media seems to like him because he's "sensitive".

I wouldn't mind them bringing back Adele for another one, but I'm not sure how commercially viable that would make the song, seeing how she appears to have fallen out of the limelight a bit since Skyfall was released (although, she appears to have a new record coming out in the summer).

Still, the fact that they've already chosen the artist suggest that they are planning ahead (probably trying to get the song written so Newman can work it into the score further than he did with Skyfall). I seem to remember the song usually being one of the last things to happen in the post-production.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 7:15 pm

Lana would be a great choice.
Back to top Go down
bitchcraft
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
bitchcraft

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 7:39 pm

Control wrote:
Lana would be a great choice.

Yep...but there are rumours about Rihanna having a cameo of sorts and doing the theme. I wouldn't rule her out just yet.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 9:38 pm

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Is it too late for Motorhead? Too late for W.O.W,  alas, but I think Lemmy would appeal to Sir Sam's delicate sensibilities.

Back to top Go down
Agent OO7

Agent OO7

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 11:06 pm

I've always wanted U2 to take a swing at it. I understand that Bono and the Edge wrote GoldenEye, but with the type of songs we've gotten for Craig's films, especially 'You Know My Name', I feel like U2 would be right at home.

With that said, it seems like they're bringing the franchise back into the 60s and Adele's song definitely harkens back to that age, so I wouldn't be surprised if things kept going in that direction. I'd have no issues with it either.
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 11:08 pm

I'd be fine with Sam Smith.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 EmptyMon Dec 08, 2014 11:24 pm

Δ

Last edited by Largo's Shark on Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?   Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song? - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Who do you want for Bond 24's theme song?
Page 5 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next