More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Classical Music

Go down 
+12
bitchcraft
Hilly
Loomis
tiffanywint
Perilagu Khan
Control
Ravenstone
Harmsway
Fairbairn-Sykes
The White Tuxedo
Largo's Shark
Vesper
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

Classical Music - Page 6 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyFri Feb 17, 2023 3:44 pm

Messiaen composed some bizarre music, and here is a classic example. Certainly not for everybody, but equally worth a listen.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 8:03 pm

PK, Turangalila is one of my favourites of his. Another composer I have always loved is Debussy. There is something dreamlike about the music. Listening to it feels like being caressed by a gentle summer breeze.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 8:46 pm

Debussy is wonderful. He rejected the appellation "impressionist," but I think it fits his music. It's soft, ethereal and diffuse.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyWed Apr 19, 2023 8:49 pm

Perilagu Khan wrote:
Debussy is wonderful. He rejected the appellation "impressionist," but I think it fits his music. It's soft, ethereal and diffuse.
Exactly, his music has much in common with impressionist painters from the same era and earlier. It is music that uplifts the soul. Just check out the face on the conductor, he feels it.
Back to top Go down
Somerset
'R'
'R'
Somerset

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyTue May 02, 2023 3:56 am

https://classicalmusiconly.com/

Found this site during my time away "on assignment abroad" during April and made a note to pass it along.

They hawk signup on that front page but you can still use the site otherwise. For someone like myself who remains on the outside of classical music looking for a route in, I have found the filtering system useful.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyTue May 02, 2023 8:45 pm

Phantom Commander wrote:
Perilagu Khan wrote:
Exactly, his music has much in common with impressionist painters from the same era and earlier. It is music that uplifts the soul. Just check out the face on the conductor, he feels it.

Now having praised Debussy, I must report that I heard an orchestral version of Claire de Lune in concert this past Saturday and it was lame. I do not understand the appeal of that particular piece.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptySun May 07, 2023 2:33 pm

Clair de Lune is not my favourite, either.

Another I enjoy is Vivaldi.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptySun May 07, 2023 3:59 pm

I'm convinced Vivaldi, improbably enough, has influenced modern serialistic composers such as Philip Glass.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyMon May 08, 2023 8:21 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
I'm convinced Vivaldi, improbably enough, has influenced modern serialistic composers such as Philip Glass.
I have never thought of that, but I think you are right.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 04, 2023 10:48 am

A fellow student at the University claimed there had only ever lived two genuine geniuses: Shakespeare and Mozart.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptySun Jun 04, 2023 5:27 pm

That's quite a statement! I'll grant that the term "genius" is used far too promiscuously--to describe basketball players, for instance--but I would argue there have been thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of true geniuses throughout history. And if Plato and Einstein weren't geniuses, nobody is.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyMon Jun 05, 2023 4:15 am

Perilagu Khan wrote:
That's quite a statement! I'll grant that the term "genius" is used far too promiscuously--to describe basketball players, for instance--but I would argue there have been thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of true geniuses throughout history. And if Plato and Einstein weren't geniuses, nobody is.
Agreed. He was no genius for saying that. The number could be much higher than that as well. Not everyone catches the attention of all of humanity and posterity.

Here is a little classical guitar:
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2023 6:59 pm

I'm taking my little cousins aged 5 and 9 to see Beethoven's 5th performed next month.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2023 7:11 pm

Wunderschon, Sarai. Who is performing it?
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2023 7:19 pm

I will post a link to it when I get a chance but it's just a local group in Kingston Ontario. I was taken to the Grande Theater when I was about the age and heard his 5th and 9th. It blew my mind and I am hoping it does the same for them. I'm taking them to the ROM this summer too.
anything I can think of to throw a little bit of higher culture at them even if it's just watching a fairly faithful Dickens movie
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2023 7:30 pm

You're doing a good thing, Sarai. I wish far more people would follow your example.
Back to top Go down
Sarai
Head of Station
Head of Station
Sarai

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2023 7:51 pm

I've never known why all parents don't aim that way as all kids are sponges. So it's only a matter of making it fun which is easy.
even just name dropping throws seeds
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyTue Jun 06, 2023 10:11 pm

Have you seen the quality of parents these days?
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 07, 2023 9:09 pm

Never liked Verdi much as a kid, but have come to appreciate his music now.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyFri Jul 07, 2023 10:13 pm

I'm not exactly nuts about any of the great Italian opera composers--Verdi, Rossini, Puccini, Donizetti. But I do like several non-operatic Italian composers: D. Scarlatti, Rota, Corelli, Vivaldi, Busoni.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyThu Aug 17, 2023 6:56 am

Unfortunately not a lovely girl with the cello, but all the same:
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptySat Sep 23, 2023 8:34 am

Another Norwegian dance
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptySat Dec 16, 2023 5:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyMon Feb 05, 2024 10:33 am

Bohemian greatness.
Back to top Go down
Phantom Commander
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Phantom Commander

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 EmptyMon Apr 29, 2024 9:58 am

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 6 Empty

Back to top Go down

Classical Music
Page 6 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next