More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Classical Music

Go down 
+12
bitchcraft
Hilly
Loomis
tiffanywint
Perilagu Khan
Control
Ravenstone
Harmsway
Fairbairn-Sykes
The White Tuxedo
Largo's Shark
Vesper
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

Classical Music - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 7:10 pm

Oh dear God, Sarah Brightman.... *shudder* Nearly as bad as Kathrine bloody Jenkins. Or Charlotte bleeding Church.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 8:12 pm

Thank you Ambler. You've now killed this thread.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 8:42 pm

Erica Ambler wrote:
Harms is a Sarah Brightman man. Rave prefers Pat Benatar tar.

Sign me up as big Pat Benatar fan! The world's most accomplished opera singer. ( she trained as opera singer tongue )
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: a   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 8:51 pm

Sharky wrote:

Classical Music - Page 3 WolfiandEmperorJosephII

Well. There it is.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 10:40 pm

I aim to please.

Now fuck off.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 10:53 pm

How shall we fuck off, O Lord?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:01 pm

Get a new humour chip installed, Dr Shark.

Forgive my intemperate language. I'm doing my tax return.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyThu Jan 26, 2012 11:04 pm

Sharky wrote:

Sorry, that was meant to be sarcastic.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 12:41 am

Written in 1673 and the 2nd movement is ahead of its time by 3 centuries.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:18 am

Ah, I'd say the classical music written in 1973 was three centuries behind its time, making that Baroque piece (J.S. Bach?) six centuries ahead of its time.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 1:25 am

What classical music written in '73? That's a very broad label.

The above piece is by Justin Heinrich Biber.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 27, 2012 8:33 am

Sharky wrote:
What classical music written in '73? That's a very broad label.

The above piece is by Justin Heinrich Biber

Justin Bieber, a classical musician? Who knew? Kid's got talent!
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 3:54 am

Harmsway wrote:
Loomis wrote:
I guess I've got some listening to do. The question, though, is: where does one start?
You start with what you like, I'd say. Sure, anyone could write up a list of famous masterpieces, but I'd recommend you just find a gateway drug and go from there.

That's certainly the best advice. However, I'd still be interested in reading your list of masterpieces, or at any rate your selection of a handful of works that are absolute musts - the greatest of the great.

Harmsway wrote:
but before I make any recommendations it would probably be helpful to know what classic music you've heard and responded to, or even just which classically-styled soundtracks you've found compelling.

Well, I like what (little) I've heard of Philip Glass - in particular the opening track from GLASSWORKS, which I think is entirely piano. KOYAANISQATSI as well, of course.

Then there's Ryuichi Sakamoto's music for THE LAST EMPEROR, MERRY CHRISTMAS MR. LAWRENCE and BABEL. Away from cinema, he's also done some lovely piano music, such as "Energy Flow", which I gather was an improbable number one hit single in Japan a few years ago.

Continuing with pianists, I love what I've heard of Erik Satie, particularly that really famous tune of his - not sure what it's called, but I'm sure you know it.

I also remember liking Debussy's LA MER, Dvorak's NEW WORLD SYMPHONY and some Shostakovich violin pieces, all of which I owned on CD as a child.

On the whole, I guess I like music that's soft, reflective and slightly mournful. Relaxing, ethereal music with a poignant edge. For instance, I enjoy ambient electronic music (e.g. The Orb) and particularly chilled-out dub and instrumental reggae (e.g. Augustus Pablo).
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 4:55 am

Loomis wrote:
However, I'd still be interested in reading your list of masterpieces, or at any rate your selection of a handful of works that are absolute musts - the greatest of the great.
Hm. Well, Paul Schrader once wisely said that the formation of any canon must begin with the one work that couldn't possibly be excluded. And so I'll say J. S. Bach's MASS IN B MINOR. But it's not the kind of classical work I'd recommend to people just getting their toes wet in the vast world of classical music (well, at least not the whole of it).

That said, the one work I'd save from the fire, before any other, is Shostakovich's SYMPHONY NO. 5 (as recorded by Bernard Haitink with the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra). This work moves me so deeply, in fact, that I really struggle for words to appropriately describe the experience of listening to it. IShostakovich's SYMPHONY NO. 5 is so emotionally intense in places that it almost burns.

Loomis wrote:
On the whole, I guess I like music that's soft, reflective and slightly mournful. Relaxing, ethereal music with a poignant edge. For instance, I enjoy ambient electronic music (e.g. The Orb) and particularly chilled-out dub and instrumental reggae (e.g. Augustus Pablo).
Okay, following on with this, then, I'll recommend the "Crucifixus" from Bach's MASS IN B-MINOR, the "Andante" from Barber's VIOLIN CONCERTO, the whole of Debussy's "Suite Bergamesque," "Adagio" from Kachaturian's GAYANE BALLET SUITE, the whole of Satie's GNOSSIENNE, and the "Lullaby" from Stravinsky's THE FIREBIRD.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 3:22 pm

Cheers for those recommendations, Harms.
Back to top Go down
Perilagu Khan
00 Agent
00 Agent
Perilagu Khan

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 4:49 pm

Loomis,

You might also like Gorecki's Drei Stucke im alten Stil.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 03, 2012 11:56 pm

Loomis wrote:
Cheers for those recommendations, Harms.
No prob. Let me know how they go; I tried to put together selections that offer enough variety within a certain range that they might lead you in different directions.
Back to top Go down
Loomis
Head of Station
Head of Station
Loomis

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptySat Feb 04, 2012 6:55 pm

Definitely. If I find that any of this stuff floats my boat, I'll post my thoughts in this thread.

Cheers for your recommendation as well, Perilagu Khan.
Back to top Go down
Control
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Feb 10, 2012 7:41 am

Just ordered that Mahler box set. 16 CDs for $45--fucking great deal.

I wish the Herrmann at 20th Century Fox box set was that cheap. :roll:
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 27, 2012 8:44 am

Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 04, 2012 12:19 am

I've been falling in love with Verdi's DON CARLO. Not many clips on YouTube, though, so as far as video clip goes, I have to make due with this so-so production. But just listen to the score here:

That's just phenomenal.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2012 12:29 pm

Call my insane, but this gives me an eargasm.
Back to top Go down
Harmsway
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Harmsway

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 11:15 pm

Pianist Jeremy Denk explains why he hates THE GOLDBERG VARIATIONS.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 19, 2012 11:38 pm

THE GOLDBERG VARIATIONS is a young man's piece, which is why the first of the two Gould recordings still reigns supreme. Those with grey hair and a grey mind will miss its joy.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 20, 2012 5:04 pm

Sharky wrote:
Those with grey hair and a grey mind will miss its joy.

And how old was JSB when he wrote it, Oh Shark?

*shaves off pepper grey beard*
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Classical Music   Classical Music - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Classical Music
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next