More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

General Movie News

Go down 
+23
saint mark
j7wild
tiffanywint
Hilly
Manhunter
Gravity's Silhouette
Makeshift Python
UndiscoveredCountry
Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang
CJB
Jack Wade
The White Tuxedo
trevanian
Control
bondfan06
Largo's Shark
Ravenstone
Klown
Salomé
colly
retrokitty
Fairbairn-Sykes
FourDot
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

General Movie News - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 9:59 pm

Jokes aside, I have every reason to believe Armond is not a fraud or a troll, but a sincere (ablate highly unpopular) film critic. I don't quote Armond because I want to appear anything, I do it because he often (but not always) offers genuinely insightful commentary on films. In a sea of AO Scotts, J. Hobermans, Roger Eberts, David Denbies, Manohla Dargises, and Glen Kennies, Armond's a lighthouse of intellect (and even humour).

We should cherish every moment while he's still with us.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:10 pm

All I have to say is that if Armond said Green Lantern was racist it probably was. Because I can trust Armond to know actual racism when he sees it. Mind you, Armond is a lot sharper than I am when it comes do digging out subtext. I've seen Green Lantern all the way through, maybe 3 times, and I'm not picking up the racism, but I can defer. I'll have to check out that review, and see what he's getting at.

Armond is legend. He's a true iconoclast. A breath of fresh air. Not everyone can be an Armond. We have to live in our skin and play to our own strengths, but I'm glad he not afraid to swim against the tide. And honestly I don't think he tries to swim against the tide. I don't think that's his goal. There is too much substance and thought to his work. If he was being disingenuous, it would be more apparent. Rather he puts it out there, the way he sees it, and God bless his heart for that. (Prof Joe, LTK)
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:31 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
All I have to say is that if Armond said Green Lantern was racist it probably was. Because I can trust Armond to know actual racism when he sees it. Mind you, Armond is a lot sharper than I am when it comes do digging out subtext. I've seen Green Lantern all the way through, maybe 3 times, and I'm not picking up the racism, but I can defer. I'll have to check out that review, and see what he's getting at.

Armond is legend. He's a true iconoclast. A breath of fresh air. Not everyone can be an Armond. We have to live in our skin and play to our own strengths, but I'm glad he not afraid to swim against the tide. And honestly I don't think he tries to swim against the tide. I don't think that's his goal. There is too much substance and thought to his work. If he was being disingenuous, it would be more apparent. Rather he puts it out there, the way he sees it, and God bless his heart for that. (Prof Joe, LTK)

Inspiring words, brother Tiff.

Glad to see I'm not alone in the wilderness.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:42 pm

tiffanywint wrote:

http://minx.cc/?post=317810

World's Stupidest Reviewer Claims Green Lantern Is Racist Because Kilowog Is Black Or Something
Armond White is one of the worst reviewers on the planet. While many reviewers are simply stupid and tasteless and reflective of a very lame and very safe middle-of-the-road middlebrow temperament, Armond White gets "cred" by saying stupid things almost deliberately.

And now, The Green Lantern is racist. In fact, everything is racist, pretty much. But let's start with the Green Lantern.

"Duncan voices a character named Kilowog, a member of the Green Lantern Corps, brother from another planet... Duncan’s speech patterns seem to dictate the character’s physical appearance; he looks like a police suspect sketch (a dark-skinned, menacing hulk as if derived from the British racial epithet “golliwog”). Essentially emulating the famous Lou Gossett Jr. badass drill sergeant role, Duncan suggests that racist stereotyping exists even among alien cultures."

Michael Clarke Duncan's speech patterns dictated the physical appearance of Kilowog????

I wish there were some way to check this claim against facts.

Oh wait, there is.

Kilowog in the film:

General Movie News - Page 3 Large

Kilowog as he's been drawn for 25 years:

General Movie News - Page 3 Kilowog

Kilowog as an action figure:

General Movie News - Page 3 4437570286_f2305855ee

Apparently that is a figure assembled April 2010 from parts scavenged from other toys. Correction: No it's not; it's a stand-alone toy. The guy there is just figuring out what prior molds the various pieces of Kilowog came from.

See, Armond White: Kilowog has always looked like this. He has always been a very large, sort of pig-faced alien.

He would have to have deep booming bass voice. That's why he's voiced by large, deep-voiced actors, sometimes white and sometimes black.

Including Michael Clarke Duncan, Henry Rollins, Michael Madsen, Diedrich Bader, and either the President or the Voodoo guy from Major League, Dennis Haysbert.

But oh, let's not bother to google this for five seconds and discover Kilowog is a long-lived character who has always been the big, bad-ass, loveable lunkhead alien for 25 years and haslooked pretty much like he does in the film for all this time.

Let's assume they cast a black guy for the role and then said, "Hm... what should Kilowog look like? (snaps fingers) I've got it! Let's make him a Space Negro!!!"

Stupid.

Armond White specializes in this sort of stupid, attention-getting provocation, and, further, is the world's worst movie reviewer.

Google says so.

Thanks to GM.

If Armond White Counted... Which he doesn't, because no one pays him any mind, but if he did: Hollywood would simply stop hiring black talent for fear of the next idiotic thing Armond will accuse them of.

Hemidall, the big Asgardian who stands guard at the Rainbow Bridge and whose eyes can see everything in the universe?

Yeah, that actor got a lot of notice for his presence in that role, and will soon get roles in American productions all over the place.

But not if Armond White had his way.

Because Armond White looked at this character and somehow got from it:

"Butler."

Oh did I mention that Kilowog is sort of beloved as everyone's favorite Green Lantern (possibly ranking ahead of the Green Lantern of Sector 2014, Earth)?

Does that count?

Or is the World's Worst Reviewer just going to ignore the fact that Kilowog is a hero in his absurd 1972-Black-Panther-Open-Mic-Comedy-Night routine of every black actor being cast as some kind of Steppin Fetchit?

Update: A lot of people are telling me I'm being unfair to Armond White. Commenters say he's actually... conservative-ish in knocking down liberal nonsense?

I have to say I don't read him very often. I've seen his reviews in, what, the Voice? Is that where he is? And I've generally not liked him.

Never got a conservative vibe off him. But I'm not familiar with him, so who knows.

One thing I thought was sort of unfair even as I was writing about it -- and so I stopped writing about it -- is a recent attack of sorts on him, noting that he's liked a lot of movies critics didn't like and has disliked a lot of movies critics did like.

I was going to mention that, then realized: 95% of movie critics are awful so actually I guess that's a point in his favor.

In any event, apart from a general "I don't really dig this guy" vibe picked up from a couple dozen reviews, I don't know his work, and who knows, maybe he's a better critic than I'm crediting him for
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:48 pm

There was also another review about Green Lantern out at the time, maybe not Armond White's, which stated that out of all the planets in the galaxy, out of all the 8 billion people on the planet earth, men and women of honor and distiction, including Nobel Peace Prize winners, etc....how on earth could this script not be construed as racist when Abin Sur gives the Lantern to Hal Jordan, a cocky air force pilot whose flaming out in his personal life and his professional life.. Abin Sur scanned the entire galaxy and this planet and found the one worthy successor to the Green Lantern Corp: a white guy.
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 11, 2012 10:58 pm

Lame nitpicking from some blooger hack who doesn't get White. Nothing new there.

The original review was simply noting that roles for black actors in these kind of superhero blockbusters are limited (Nick Fury being one of the few that comes to mind - but then the character's just relegated to being a BAMF behind-the-scenes), and how they only end up playing hulkish drill sergeants (GREEN LANTERN), space butlers (THOR), and dumbasses that die first (X MEN: FIRST CLASS). So much for the token black guy. Hollywood can't get away from the same old stereotypes.
Back to top Go down
tiffanywint
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
tiffanywint

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Yes, and what distinguishes Armond IMO from actual race-baiters, (that we are used to from the left) is that Armond doesn't appear to be screaming about or protesting phony injustices, as the usual suspects are prone to do. Armond IMO is making observations. He is also uniquely qualified, in that by being actually black, he is thus understandably more attuned to how his race might be portrayed on the big screen. So he throws it out there. Compare with your typical know-nothing, holier-than-thou, white liberal agitator, who gets all sanctimonious and indignant, about shit they haven't got the slightest understanding of, and in truth probably don't even care about. Appearing to care is more important.

With Armond, I can at least trust the source. Armond isn't accusing me of being racist if I don't care, and I don't care. Green Lantern doesn't offend me in the slightest, but I don't mind Armond using the film to draw attention to how he perceives blacks are portrayed in cinema. He is drawing attention to race stereotypes and cinema tendencies that he has observed but he stops short of calling the filmmakers racist. Sheriff Pepper is also a race stereotype, but its not racist to point this out. No harm. Armond draws attention to such stuff, but without shoving it down my throat, and acting like I should be protesting Hollywood. Unlike the usual suspects, he doesn't demand that I conform to his views. He just throws it out there, and gives me something to think about, without attempting to dictate correct thinking, as the usual suspects are prone to do.

What I like about Armond is that while he is no friend of the left ( He seems to find them just as clueless, as much of the rest of society does) but he doesn't pander to conservative sensibilities either.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Red Dawn (2012)   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptySat Aug 11, 2012 12:09 am

General Movie News - Page 3 5f588b205372752

Am I dreaming?

After 3 years there is finally a trailer?

This movie was supposed to be out in 2009.

Then the script was rewritten because Hollywood was afraid China would get offended since this time around, it was China (instead of Cuba) that invaded the U.S.A.

So the bad guys were changed to North Korea and the film had to be re-shot.

Then it was supposed to be released in 2010 and it got pushed back and pushed back several times.

Then the release date was changed to 2011 and that was postponed also and then cancelled;

the final print just sat on the shelf somewhere in Hollywood for the past 3 years!!

PINCH ME!!

Director
: Dan Bradley
Stars: Chris Hemsworth, Isabel Lucas and Josh Hutcherson

Synopsis: In "Red Dawn," an American city awakens to the surreal sight of foreign paratroopers dropping from the sky – shockingly, the U.S. has been invaded and their hometown is the initial target. Quickly and without warning, the citizens find themselves prisoners and their town under enemy occupation. Determined to fight back, a group of young patriots seek refuge in the surrounding woods, training and reorganizing themselves into a guerilla group of fighters. Taking inspiration from their high school mascot, they call themselves the Wolverines, banding together to protect one another, liberate their town from its captors, and take back their freedom.

Info http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1234719/

TRAILER:

right click/save as

480p http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sdm=web&pt=rd&sid=132519290

720p http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sdm=web&pt=rd&sid=132519294

1080p http://playlist.yahoo.com/makeplaylist.dll?sdm=web&pt=rd&sid=132519296
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:06 pm

http://www.deadline.com/2012/08/eric-bana-negotiating-for-lone-survivor/

Eric Bana is in talks to costar in Lone Survivor, the Peter Berg-directed drama that is being financed by Emmett/Furla Films for a September 25 start in New Mexico. Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch and Ben Foster are already poised to play the other main roles in the drama centered around four Navy SEALs. Universal Pictures, which developed the movie, will distribute. An adaptation of the book by Marcus Luttrell (Wahlberg), Lone Survivor tells the harrowing story of how Luttrell and his Navy SEAL team members fought to stay alive after being ambushed in Afghanistan in 2005 by Taliban forces during a covert mission in the Hindu Kush mountain region, where the team went to kill a terrorist leader.

Wow, what happened? What's with Hollywood producing all kinds of movies these days about heroic Navy SEALs and other forces fighting in Afghanistan? I could list a half-dozen anti-war movies off the top of my head that Hollywood made from 2003 to 2009. What changed? All the sudden they seem almost gung-ho to talk about, and make movies concerning, the "War on Terror".
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:30 pm

tiffanywint wrote:
Yes, and what distinguishes Armond IMO from actual race-baiters, (that we are used to from the left)
Every. Thread.

Never fails.
Back to top Go down
saint mark
Head of Station
Head of Station
saint mark

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 9:53 pm

Jack Wade wrote:
tiffanywint wrote:
Yes, and what distinguishes Armond IMO from actual race-baiters, (that we are used to from the left)
Every. Thread.

Never fails.

You sound surprised? :*e*:
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 10:31 pm

Gravity's Silhouette wrote:

Eric Bana is in talks to costar in Lone Survivor, the Peter Berg-directed drama that is being financed by Emmett/Furla Films for a September 25 start in New Mexico. Mark Wahlberg, Taylor Kitsch, Emile Hirsch and Ben Foster are already poised to play the other main roles in the drama centered around four Navy SEALs. Universal Pictures, which developed the movie, will distribute. An adaptation of the book by Marcus Luttrell (Wahlberg), Lone Survivor tells the harrowing story of how Luttrell and his Navy SEAL team members fought to stay alive after being ambushed in Afghanistan in 2005 by Taliban forces during a covert mission in the Hindu Kush mountain region, where the team went to kill a terrorist leader.

Hey!

I've read that book!

It's a good book!
Back to top Go down
Jack Wade
Head of Station
Head of Station
Jack Wade

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyMon Aug 13, 2012 11:24 pm

j7wild wrote:
Gravity's Silhouette wrote:

Hey!

I've read that book!

It's a good book!
Liar. It's not a picture book.
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyTue Sep 04, 2012 9:51 pm

Hansel and Gretel: WItch Hunters trailer is here:

http://www.deadline.com/2012/09/hansel-and-gretel-witch-hunters-trailer-jeremy-renner-gemma-arterton/#comments

.....and if that isn't the worst looking film coming out next year that I can think of, I don't know what is. Looks like a huge, steaming, curdling pile of gorilla squeeze.

And Gemma Arterton....get a new acting coach. For the love of God, please! She's been horrible in the last two big name films she's been in, and this will be her third film where she's been awful. Just plain awful!

Famke Janssen told a reporter she took the role of villainess because she had a mortgage to pay off. Looks like everyone involved with this movie was there for the paycheck. For the love of God this thing looks terrible! Oh the humanity!

General Movie News - Page 3 Hindenburg1
Back to top Go down
Ravenstone
Head of Station
Head of Station
Ravenstone

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 8:31 pm

Oh I dunno. It looks a giggle! :D
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 11:55 pm

Not worth creating a thread. Doing some flicking around on Jack Ryan and found some stuff on the new movie.

Called Jack Ryan...late 2013...Brannagh's directing (ha) and Keira Knightley's playing Cathy Ryan.

Half makes me miss Ben Affleck.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4ScLgsmLrCb3MNZr1YjMVg?view_as
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptySun Mar 10, 2013 4:13 pm

rather than create a pointless thread I'll stick this here.

I didn't bother with the second, didn't mind the first but this...meh. Maybe when it comes out on DVD. But I am a fan, for my sins, of Zach Galiafinakisisisisis
Back to top Go down
Gravity's Silhouette
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Gravity's Silhouette

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2013 7:29 pm

http://www.deadline.com/2013/03/sony-pictures-scott-rudin-plot-feature-ilm-adaptation-of-70s-tv-series-good-times/

People are going crazy about this film (and not in a good way), but I can think of worse ideas than to make a movie out of GOOD TIMES. You knew it was coming one day; you just didn't know when.

And I don't mean to sound insensitive, but............shouldn't the writer of a movie about a poor, black family living in a Chicago housing project be, like, I don't know, black or poor or something? I'm just sayin'....this isn't science fiction. An element of reality and life experience one would assume would be required.
Back to top Go down
j7wild
Head of Station
Head of Station
j7wild

PostSubject: 47 Ronin ::: 25 Dec 2013   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 7:06 am

I was watching Ronin the other day and Michael Lonsdale's character was telling Robert DeNiro's character about the legend of the Ronin and the 47 Ronin..

I decided to look it up on Wiki to see if it was a true and it was:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forty-seven_Ronin

Then from that Wiki page I'd found out a movie about the 47 Ronin is being made:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1335975/?ref_=fn_al_tt_4

But wait!

Keanu Reeves as a Japanese?

Is he playing a half breed?

The events of the 47 Ronin happened around 1701 so I have to presume that a Westerner White Man slept with a Japanese woman sometime long before 1701 and Keanu is the offspring of their union?

What is with these White Actors trying to be Asians?

What is with Hollywood's constant urge to stick a White person in a movie about Asians?

Like in The Last Samurai when they came up with an excuse to stick Tom Cruise in Japan so it would be a Tom Cruise's movie!

What a joke!

Also just like in Forbidden Kingdom, which is based on the 100 Chapters long Chinese Classic Novels "Journey To The West", they stuck a White kid in it.

I can tell you that there never was a White kid in "Journey To The West" when it was written in 1592 about a Monk that lived around the year 602-664.

I don't think White men have ye to arrive in China during those years in the 600's.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 7:26 am

According to the film's Wikipedia article, Reeves' character is half-Anglo and half-Japanese.

Reeves himself is of mixed European and Asian descent.

Shit thread is shit.
Back to top Go down
lachesis
Head of Station
Head of Station
lachesis

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 5:13 pm

Making someone look Japanese is easy.....

General Movie News - Page 3 You+Only+Live+Twice+James+Bond+Japanese
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyThu Mar 14, 2013 9:45 pm

CJB wrote:
According to the film's Wikipedia article, Reeves' character is half-Anglo and half-Japanese.

Reeves himself is of mixed European and Asian descent.

Shit thread is shit.

Quite. Moved it to General Movie News thread.

Try to keep this type of stuff to this thread j7

thank ye
Back to top Go down
Hilly
Administrator
Administrator
Hilly

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 16, 2013 1:10 am

Jurassic Park 4 director announced:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-21798898

fill yer boots.
Back to top Go down
dr. strangelove
'R'
'R'
dr. strangelove

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 9:15 pm

Matt McConaughey to play the lead in Nolan's INTERSTELLAR.

http://collider.com/matthew-mcconaughey-christopher-nolan-interstellar/
Back to top Go down
Largo's Shark
00 Agent
00 Agent

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 9:17 pm

An actor I've never cared for.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Movie News   General Movie News - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

General Movie News
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next