More Adult, Less Censored Discussion of Agent 007 and Beyond : Where Your Hangovers Are Swiftly Cured

HomeHome  EventsEvents  WIN!WIN!  Log in  RegisterRegister  

Mad Men

Go down 
+19
Largo's Shark
Jack Wade
Control
Harmsway
Gravity's Silhouette
Toppers
GeneralGogol
trevanian
Makeshift Python
MBalje
colly
Fairbairn-Sykes
Prince Kamal Khan
retrokitty
Fae
CJB
Salomé
Vesper
The White Tuxedo
23 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next
AuthorMessage
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:47 am

Can't wait for Season 5. I had planned to buy the show on Blu-ray. I'm not sure yet. I'll probably just Netflix the thing again before S5 comes on. And then have to wait week-to-week when this show demands chainwatching.

Last edited by The White Tuxedo on Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:21 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:57 am

I was actually going to come post this today laugh

The reason: totally hit it off with a chick who's a dead ringer for Jessica Pare today. :twisted:
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 3:59 am

Vesper wrote:
I was actually going to come post this today laugh

The reason: totally hit it off with a chick who's a dead ringer for Jessica Pare today. :twisted:

Damn. Hope she has better teeth, though. Anybody else think Jessica Pare is sorta like an inferior Eva Green?
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 6:00 am

I still don't think it's the teeth so much as are her gums. They'e like a goddamn mountain range! The teeth aren't bad but if her gums weren't so massive.

But this chick does, FWIW :twisted:.. bilingual in French too. Eery.

I think Pare and Green look pretty different to be honest. I can't pin who Pare reminds me of, but the jawline is pretty different.

I also can't wait for season five. Well I can, but the promise of more home-life stuff from The Drapers 2.0 is a good thing. The show suffered for being so office focused last year, IMO.

Don't like the Joan twist though, it's really soap-opera-y even by this show's standards, and it just seems like writing her into a wall.

Last edited by Vesper on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 8:58 am

I like Jessica's teeth. Then again, I'm English. Mind you, I was more of a fan of Melinda Page Hamilton's face. Such a square head.

I was a bit hasty denouncing Mad Men on MI6 as feminist propaganda. The show does tend to polarize viewers, though; if you're over 30 you watch it with nostalgia for a better world. If you're under 30 you thinks 'Jesus. Men used to be such c*nts.'

Still think the show could do with a bit more plot.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:01 am

Nice to see you gave it another chance Ambler.

It is amazing that a show so devoid of any character the audience can easily identify with has achieved such success. They are obviously greatly helped by their period setting and a generally top notch cast.

I do think they took the Betty character too far in season three and beyond, she has become a bit of a caricature.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:18 am

Season three I think still made sense, but last season was silly. I think Keirnan Shipka's extremely talented for her age, but making Betty the villain to her protagonist is too simplistic. Hopefully that relationship becomes more complex because I can't see Megan remaining this idealised figure of motherhood for too long.

To Jones' credit, the scene in the child psychologists office in episode 5 and the last one between her and Don in the finale were well played, though.

Anyone seen Boardwalk Empire? I bring it up because it's a clear HBO reaction to Mad Men's success. Besides the noticeable bigger budget is it any better/completely different/worse?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:23 am

Salomé wrote:
I do think they took the Betty character too far in season three and beyond

True, they changed her from put upon wife to a bit of a child. Not sure why or how that happened, but the sessions on the psychiatrist's coach didn't really explain her condition. However, my main beef with Mad Men is its lack of plot and nudity. I don't think a show that requires constant power shagging can be taken seriously without skin. I suppose that's down to AMC. Shame the show wasn't on HBO or Showtime.

Why don't you open a Deadwood thread, Daisy? It's still my favourite TV show of the last 10 years.
Back to top Go down
CJB
00 Agent
00 Agent
CJB

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:25 am

I've watched most of Season 2 and (I think, can't recall) 3, though I sometimes felt a bit lost without the first season. Gotta remember to downlo-- obtain it legally through a monetary transaction.

On a related note, why don't unions ever fight for whiskey and cigarettes in the workplace?
Back to top Go down
Fae
Q Branch
Q Branch
Fae

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:26 am

Vesper wrote:

Anyone seen Boardwalk Empire? I bring it up because it's a clear HBO reaction to Mad Men's success. Besides the noticeable bigger budget is it any better/completely different/worse?
I've seen it advertised on Foxtel and intend to check it out.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:30 am

CJB wrote:
I've watched most of Season 2 and (I think, can't recall) 3, though I sometimes felt a bit lost without the first season. Gotta remember to downlo-- obtain it legally through a monetary transaction.

On a related note, why don't unions ever fight for whiskey and cigarettes in the workplace?

Watch series one, it will mostly make more sense. It gets good around episode 5.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyThu Mar 17, 2011 9:30 am

Vesper wrote:

Well it's a slow burner, it only really takes off around the halfway mark of the season. It might have the finest ensemble cast of any current show. And you can see in nearly every frame they spared no expense to make it look as real and authentic as possible.

Gretchen Mol's character is one of the most memorable TV moms in the medium's history. tongue
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 4:10 am

So the rumours that Gretchen Mol can act turned out to be true?

Well I'll be darned. Does she get her tits out?
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptySun Mar 20, 2011 9:40 am

Vesper wrote:
So the rumours that Gretchen Mol can act turned out to be true?

Well I'll be darned. Does she get her tits out?

It's an HBO show and she plays a showgirl dancer. You do the math. ;)

I'm still not convinced she's a great actress but the good thing about that show's cast is that no one is asked to do anything that is beyond their capabilities.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:19 am

http://www.latimes.com/features/image/la-ig-madmen-20110320,0,1311762.story
Back to top Go down
retrokitty
'R'
'R'
retrokitty

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 6:14 am

Jessica Pare and Anne Hathaway have similar knockers.

I don't watch the show... :( I have been told by friends that I must or be disowned by them.
Back to top Go down
Prince Kamal Khan
Q Branch
Q Branch
Prince Kamal Khan

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:09 am

If you're a Mad Men fan, I highly recommend the following 2 films from the earlier(and better) half of the 1960s:

Mad Men 435237.1010.A

and

Mad Men 0011871c_medium

They're both very funny spoofs of the advertising era during that time period.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 7:17 am

retrokitty wrote:
Jessica Pare and Anne Hathaway have similar knockers.

I don't watch the show... :( I have been told by friends that I must or be disowned by them.

Back to top Go down
Fairbairn-Sykes
Head of Station
Head of Station
Fairbairn-Sykes

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptyMon Mar 21, 2011 3:37 pm

Prince Kamal Khan wrote:
If you're a Mad Men fan, I highly recommend the following 2 films from the earlier(and better) half of the 1960s:

Mad Men 435237.1010.A

and

Mad Men 0011871c_medium

I recommend CASH McCALL. It's less of a spoof and more of an awesome.
Back to top Go down
http://goldenagebat.blogspot.com
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:00 am

30 million for three seasons is ridiculous. But it's not like Weiner's ego is a secret or anything. Glad it'll be back.

When it came out that part of the dispute involved cutting series regulars, I think it showed the full idiocy of the world and the internet that all the blogs/forums thought January Jones was the prime candidate as opposed to, gee, Aaron Staton, Rich Sommer, Robert Morse, or Jared Harris.

I mean, the character's gone downhill, but it's not like she isn't crucial to the show or anything. Then again you really can't be surprised by people's failure to think critically on the internet.
Back to top Go down
The White Tuxedo
00 Agent
00 Agent
The White Tuxedo

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:20 am

Vesper wrote:
30 million for three seasons is ridiculous. But it's not like Weiner's ego is a secret or anything. Glad it'll be back.

When it came out that part of the dispute involved cutting series regulars, I think it showed the full idiocy of the world and the internet that all the blogs/forums thought January Jones was the prime candidate as opposed to, gee, Aaron Staton, Rich Sommer, Robert Morse, or Jared Harris.

I mean, the character's gone downhill, but it's not like she isn't crucial to the show or anything. Then again you really can't be surprised by people's failure to think critically on the internet.

I'd keep Morse and Sommer. Harris I'd rather see stay, but Staton I couldn't care less. Are they really gonna cut peeps?

As for Betty. I don't fucking get why so many people equate "I wouldn't want to have coffee with that character" and "that character needs to leave the show". So many people are fucking stupid and wanna have every character be likable and all happy and smiles and shit. Betty is my favorite character on the show. She's an icy bitch, and she's just getting colder. Aside from turning me on immensely, I also find it to be interesting to watch.
Back to top Go down
Vesper
Head of Station
Head of Station
Vesper

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 7:46 am

No cast cuts for anything other than creative reasons. Weiner managed to rob the bank and get everything else he wanted. No wait, he'll have to produce a 45 minute version of episodes 2-12 in each season and save the 47 minute versions for DVD, not like that will wind up being a selling point that winds up making him even more money or anything...

I could live without Sommer and Staton, they don't add much of substance to the show. My point was all of those characters are rather fungible. Morse may well be out after this season anyway (they never really stressed whether his whole "Fuck this, I need the cigarette business" was a proper departure or not) but he never really added much depth to the show's narrative after the first two seasons.

And I have to roll my eyes everytime someone says "Don and Betty are divorced now. She's not important to his life anymore, so she should be off the show"

You know, don't overlook the children, the massive chunk of his life that involved her, the fact that she's one of four people who know about his true identity and everything. Clearly a divorce means you're done with that person for ever.

People are stupid.

Then again reading the internet occassionally, I'm pretty sure a sizeable portion of the female fanbase just get wet at the sight of Jon Hamm and assume Don Draper is a victim in everything and in no way responsible for his actions.

People are stupid.

January Jones is sexy.

She needs to do a movie where she shows her baps.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 9:33 am

Vesper wrote:
People are stupid.
True, but you're thinking with your dick.

This is the Don Draper story and he's divorced Betty. Time to move on. Or bury her under the patio.
Back to top Go down
Salomé
Potential 00 Agent
Potential 00 Agent
Salomé

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 10:01 am

And January Jones is - if you're being generous and rank John Slattery below her - the second worst actor on the entire cast. tongue

Though at least Slattery occasionally provides us with a bit of fun.
Back to top Go down
colly
Q Branch
Q Branch
colly

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men EmptySat Apr 02, 2011 12:53 pm

Fairbairn-Sykes wrote:
Prince Kamal Khan wrote:

Mad Men 435237.1010.A

and

Mad Men 0011871c_medium

I recommend CASH McCALL. It's less of a spoof and more of an awesome.

Nah - PKK's two selctions are far superior. They're too incisive to be called "spoofs" - dont like the word.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Mad Men Empty
PostSubject: Re: Mad Men   Mad Men Empty

Back to top Go down

Mad Men
Page 1 of 31Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 16 ... 31  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Bond And Beyond :: Beyond :: Television & Radio-
Jump to: